SCL 8 versus 9

veny
veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
edited September 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Hey,
soo, PvE with SCL 9 is coming to end and i would like to see some feedback.
Vote what was your choice and tell us how do you feel about it.

E: Poll for monitoring opinion shift during Unstable ISO event is here: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67776/what-clearance-level-did-you-choose-for-unstable-iso-8#latest

SCL 8 versus 9 167 votes

I chose SCL 8 or less
59%
PorkBellyStarfuryfreakygeeksinnerjflahunter5zulux21firethorneRemoDestroyerkillercoolTaganovMoon RoachPunter1danielrandkaiProfessorGumbySykosonikherm1978moogles85RiguezJsh2014rubix_qube 99 votes
I chose SCL 9
40%
ZeiramMRafsplatKolenceWonko33QuebbsterColognoisseurelvy75Maceo511ContinuedClockrbdragonatomzedGrumpySmurf1002dr tinykittyloveejmusRuinatefmftintneodukesmoq84frachr[Deleted User] 68 votes

Comments

• veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    I chose SCL 9
    Me first - i tried level 9 and instantly regreted it. Missions are way too dificult, new 5* mission is nice and rewards are great, but it could hardly change my opinion.
    I am staying at level 7 since it has the best rewards : ratio (at least for me).
    Weird is, i am telling this as a player with level *EDIT: 100!* and dozens of championed 4*s. SCL 9 is available at level 65... insane :cold_sweat:
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 9
    I always go to the highest level because I enjoy the challenge and the better rewards. As a 4* player, I have found SCL9 to be significantly more difficult, but not impossible. They're definitely making me earn it. 
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    I chose SCL 9
    i choose level 9, and scaling is spot on, but 5* node is way too difficult (it should be 50 levels less in each clearance levels that has 5* node)
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Having just suffered through the 5* essential in CL9 with a one cover Starlord, my answer is that it depends.  Whilst I'd like to earn the better rewards, it depends on which 5* essential it is, what event it is and what 4* you can win covers for.

Also there is a time spent and healthpacks consideration, as there is a definite step up in difficulty from CL8 to CL9.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I chose SCL 8 or less
    I went with 7 because I couldn't start day 1 until 5 pm, earliest, today. Actually started around 6:30. I was afraid I didn't have time for 9. Turns out that 7 was easy enough I probably should have done 8 or 9. Oh well.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 9
    The scaling for CL9 is still way less for me now than it used to be before CL-based scaling. Except for the 5* node, of course.   That's waaaaay too high, especially if they're going to pick newer 5*s like Star Lord or Spidey as essentials.
  • Jsh2014
    Jsh2014 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    edited September 2017
    I chose SCL 8 or less
    I chose SCL 8. I didn't really want to grind on a difficult level I'm gonna try it next time 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    I chose SCL 9
    to be completely honest, I find SCL9's difficulty to be exactly the same as SCL8 back when enemies were scaled based on player roster.

9 isn't so bad to me because I didn't practice soft-capping and to me, it's just more of the same but with more CP on a per-event basis.  Win!
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    They shouldn't have had this follow a 7 day event.  Higher level enemies is the last thing I want to fight after 7 days of dark avengers. 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 9
    I chose 9 because I've always chosen the highest available level, save for one story. The 5* essential node is pretty difficult, but I'm happy to have some challenge again. I'll probably finish t50, but have a shot at t20 if I can stay optimal. 
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    I chose SCL 9
    I chose cl9, and the difficulty is ok for what cl9 wants to be. The 5* essential was more difficult than anticipated but works well if you play with your boosted chars.

My feeling though is that if you play for casual it's not worth playing in cl9 and i'm not sure for competitive either. I mean sure, the tokens are great, a 4* for top50 too, but will sure require more time and a very strong roster to be able to compete the entire event.

As it is now, my feeling is that this is better suited for 5* rosters (rather than 4* or 5* transitioners like myself), but I don't know how eagerly are they to fight at this level. And I don't know if limiting the access to brackets is a smart move to ensure people would play where they supposed to...
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 9
    I went SL9. The only difference I saw was the hard node and the 5* node. I had terrible luck with the 7th clear on the 5* node in sub 1.  I will lose top 5 due to that. Was a total train wreak.  I don't mind it much but that node is crazy. Now I am thinking what SL10
    will be. 
  • TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2017
    I chose SCL 8 or less
    I went SL7 w/o Star Lord, instantly regretted it. Even with the required 5*, I'd still stay in SL7 to have some quality of life. 

On the same page with @veny here, best effort : rewards ratio for my current roster. 

// fixed a typo
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 9
    Scaling on most nodes is still below old pre-scl scaling, and I'll get better rewards for my sloppy play style. Maybe more iffy if the essential 5* is one I don't have levelled.
  • SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2017
    I chose SCL 8 or less
    I'm a progression only player, I join SCL 7 slice 5 about 6-8 hours after it starts, clear from high to low 6x throughout the day, and take what I get. Which is usually t100. Don't see myself doing anything differently; I use 1-3 health packs per sub-event, usually on whichever 4* is boosted, occasionally on Strang3.

I'll try the 5* node when I actually have the required toon, it may be the only way I see t50. I really think said node should *only* be in SCL 9, otherwise it really does nothing to discourage slumming. 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 8 or less
    SCL 8, as always.  The increase in rewards doesn't merit the increase in difficulty, IMO.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 9
    Decided to try out SCL 9. So far, it's not wors than PvE was when I quit four in May.
    Though I don't have 5tar-Lord, so I have to skip his required node...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 9
    OJSP said:
    Quebbster said:
    Though I don't have 5tar-Lord, so I have to skip his required node...
    It's probably a good thing.. it might make you want to quit again.
    Possibly. I'll get to play the fivestar node eventually...
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 8 or less
    I'll probably try SCL 9 eventually, but it sure wasn't gonna be on Venom Bomb with a single-cover 5tar-Lord. 
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I chose SCL 8 or less
    I have a handful of Star Lord covers, but he's still at level 255. I have most of the 4*s champed, but not high levels after that.
    I waited to see what the 5* node was like in SCL9, and decided that I would stay in SCL8.  I struggled with the 5* node, but with some health packs and luck I was able to beat it 5/6 times each day.