SCL 8 versus 9

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 9
    Went scl 9 with a 255 low cover SL to try. Will finish t5 behind a taptaptapper (not the same one, but yeah, told youn so).
    will go S9 again with a 255 one cover Parker. 

Wish they had followed release schedule for this instead of random very new 5s.
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I chose SCL 9
    I chose cl9
    I need to know how much time I need to invest to get t5. The clear time does increase 10~20minutes but the increased difficulty challenges me to think about other teams to clear the nodes. It was fun and I will continue to try it more.

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I chose SCL 9
    I don't play PvE for placement so I like SCL 9 (fast clears and all just sound like a bit masochist to me)

For my roster it is a challenge SCL 9 , had to plan well and choose wisely to be able to completed the required 5* (my SL is lv255 2-1-2) finally got some puzzle in my puzzle quest.

For those complaining about it SCL 9 , have you considered that you might not have the roster and it is not for you?

• Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 9
    Wonko33 said:
    I don't play PvE for placement so I like SCL 9 (fast clears and all just sound like a bit masochist to me)

For my roster it is a challenge SCL 9 , had to plan well and choose wisely to be able to completed the required 5* (my SL is lv255 2-1-2) finally got some puzzle in my puzzle quest.

For those complaining about it SCL 9 , have you considered that you might not have the roster and it is not for you?

I agree with you, placement has never been my #1 concern for Story. Though I'm, surprisingly to myself, competing for t20. I figured I'd be t50. I am having fun with CL9 and look forward to the next event (I play slice 4). I definitely had issues with the 5* node with my SL5 at 270 3/3/2. But I've started sinking ISO into Spidey, he is now 4/4/1 level 299. He will be a bit higher than that when I start the event tonight.

• Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    SCL 9 for me. I have almost every 4* champed minus like 6 or so but I dont have any 5* past 270 (never wanted to move into 5* world). The 5* essential didnt get too bad until after the initial 4 clears but that was thanks to boosted Iceman and Carrol. Even with nowhere near optimal clears Ill easily finish t50. I was on vacation the entire time and completely blew a final grind and am still fine.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 8 or less
    I chose SCL 7 for the whole time vs reward view.  Just not enough incentive to move up in SCL and scaling for the added time requirements and meager reward differentials.
  • freakygeek
    freakygeek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    I chose SCL 8 or less
    I am shield level 100 but the 5 star node looked like too much for me at SCL 9 so I am sticking with SCL 8.  Even there it was rough.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    I chose SCL 8 or less
    As many have said, the ratio of difficulty & time investment increase VS the rewards increased are criminal.

The most noticeable reward increase is in the final placement rewards there's now a 4 Star cover for t50 in SL 9. Would have loved to see this in CL8 too...

But unless you have champed & possibly even max champed 5 Stars, in particular 5-Star Thaons, you won't hit t50, so it's not worth it.
    Even in CL8, the 5-Star required node levels top off too high.  Mine were Level 405 I believe (though node levels are the same for everyone now right?).  Can't imagine the hell of facing off against Level 500 enemies with under-leveled 5 Stars.

Just in the time alone it takes to chew through over-scaled PVE nodes it's just not worth it
    They could have almost doubled the rewards and it still wouldn't have been worth it.  And with an extra node added per clear, the dreaded end of one sub and start of another sub push could take literally HOURS.  I spend too much time on this game as is.
    I hear if one has a champed 5 Star Thanos it's potentially not so bad, but to have the entire game's game/life balance & time commitment hinge on ONE character is pretty crazy.

• Milk Jugz
    I chose SCL 9
    As many have said, the ratio of difficulty & time investment increase VS the rewards increased are criminal.

The most noticeable reward increase is in the final placement rewards there's now a 4 Star cover for t50 in SL 9. Would have loved to see this in CL8 too...

But unless you have champed & possibly even max champed 5 Stars, in particular 5-Star Thaons, you won't hit t50, so it's not worth it.
    Even in CL8, the 5-Star required node levels top off too high.  Mine were Level 405 I believe (though node levels are the same for everyone now right?).  Can't imagine the hell of facing off against Level 500 enemies with under-leveled 5 Stars.

Just in the time alone it takes to chew through over-scaled PVE nodes it's just not worth it
    They could have almost doubled the rewards and it still wouldn't have been worth it.  And with an extra node added per clear, the dreaded end of one sub and start of another sub push could take literally HOURS.  I spend too much time on this game as is.
    I hear if one has a champed 5 Star Thanos it's potentially not so bad, but to have the entire game's game/life balance & time commitment hinge on ONE character is pretty crazy.

The only 5* champ I have is Phoenix, my SL5 is 270 3/3/2 and I'm just outside of top 20 in CL9 for Venom Bomb. If I get a good end grind tonight I could find myself inside the top 20, most likely though I will be just outside in the top 50. It is possible in CL9 without Thano5. I ran Iceman with Phoenix and SL5 for that node.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    I chose SCL 9
    I went with SCL9. It was fine. My 5tarlord is only 3/1/1 which made that essential node an absolute nightmare. I was able to brute force it with boosted Iceman being fueled by IM40, but it was absurdly difficult. The symbiote-only ones especially were nuts - if I couldn't get whiteouts and stun/punches rolling in the first few turns I just got overwhelmed by the special tile spam/buffing. First time in a VERY long time I've used AP boosts for PVE.

Other than that node the difficulty was perfectly manageable- I mostly used Iceman/Cap/IM40 for the non-trivial nodes. I managed to get t50 for a Riri cover. I think my actual placement was 34th or so.

Whether I continue to do SCL9 will depend on whether I have the required 5* decently covered/leveled; in terms of rewards, the only reason for me to do 9 is to go for t50 for an extra 4* cover, so if my placement will be hindered by a missing or gimpy 5*, I'll just drop down to 8 and stop at progression.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 8 or less
    The 5* threw me from SCL8 back to SCL7 until my Panthos is more leveled up.  If they do an event where 5* Thanos is required I would probably do that one at SCL8.

My roster is not ready for SCL9 and since the progression reward jump is a joke and T50 isn't likely I see no reason to bang my head against that wall.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    I chose SCL 8 or less
    I gave SCL 9 a shot in the new Unstable iso event. Never again, scaling is too ridiculous for my roster level. That 5 star node is absurd, bust you butt for a few CP, 1 event token that turned into a two star and some low iso rewards. No thanks. I will dip back down to SCL7 or 8 for better quality of life as i think most players will too.

Edit: I picked SCL7 for Venom bomb bc i hate that event 
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    I chose SCL 9

This might vary from bracket to bracket but I can say this is not the case for mine (Slice 5, SCL 9, starting around 18 hours in with a fresh-ish bracket).

It is certainly a timesink (took me about 2 hours for the four clears on the first day) but I'm keeping up for Top 50. My Star-Lord is moderately covered and below level 300, and haven't been using other 5*s.

For Unstable ISO, I am going to go back to SCL 8 though.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 9
    Daiches said:
    Went scl 9 with a 255 low cover SL to try. Will finish t5 behind a taptaptapper (not the same one, but yeah, told youn so).

I made a horrible mistake. The Unstable ISO sub 1 node is much much harder than any of the Venom Bomb 5star nodes... YEESH.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose SCL 9
    I went CL9 this time and even though I have champed 5*s, the 5* node kicked my butt.  I did 7 clears the first time, but only 6 clears in subs 2 and 3.  But I'm still easily in line for a top 50 finish and a 4* placement reward.  I like that you don't have to be perfect and still get a 4* from placement.  Now if you don't have a SL to play, then you probably won't make top 100.  It will be interesting to see what will happen with Spidey in the next PvE.  A lot of people are hoarding until Doc Ock leaves latest tokens and don't have a Spidey yet.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    I chose SCL 8 or less
    Staying in 8, though SCL 9's negligible rewards in addition to the 5* required node are probably the most eloquent arguments to slum it in SCL 7.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    Daiches said:

I made a horrible mistake. The Unstable ISO sub 1 node is much much harder than any of the Venom Bomb 5star nodes... YEESH.
    I saw that node, remembered how bad Daken was at 454 under old scaling, extrapolated to 515, and went 8.

Nope, nope, nope.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Thought I would give SCL9 a shot.  I have no champed 5*'s.  Three fully covered (OML, Silver Surfer and Phoenix) but only at about 285.  A few others with respectable coverage.  As for 4*'s, I have 35 champed with my highest level being Coulson and C4rol at 296.  Challenging, definitely, but think I'll stick with SCL8 after this event.
  • Milk Jugz
    I chose SCL 9
    Bowgentle said:
    Daiches said:
    Daiches said:

I saw that node, remembered how bad Daken was at 454 under old scaling, extrapolated to 515, and went 8.

Nope, nope, nope.
    My Parker is 4/4/1 312 at the time I cleared the 5* node. I went cl9, used Phoenix and Miles. Miles set 5/5/3 works very well with Parker. Wasn't exactly fast and I used 6 health packs, but no wipes on 4 clears. If all else fails keep Miles invisible.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Milk Jugz said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Daiches said:
    Daiches said:

Nope, nope, nope.
    My Parker is 4/4/1 312 at the time I cleared the 5* node. I went cl9, used Phoenix and Miles. Miles set 5/5/3 works very well with Parker. Wasn't exactly fast and I used 6 health packs, but no wipes on 4 clears. If all else fails keep Miles invisible.

I have a Level 435 Spidey, it's not like I couldn't do that node.
    It's just not worth the extra clear times and health pack usage for potentially 2 LTs from placement and alliance placement.
    Especially not in s2.9 where you have 500+ rosters automatically taking a t5 spot and you realistically have 2 free spots only.