This Game Isn't Fun Anymore

Comments

• DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    kensterr wrote:
    How long does it take for a guy to give up chasing a girl he likes? No matter how much he spent on her, how many gifts he buys for her etc, she still doesn't want to be in a relationship with him yet cos she thinks that he likes the 'challenge'.

Some tiny kitty idiots like the challenge, most sane people don't and just move on.
    But you have to understand, the gentlemen (or lady? icon_e_wink.gif ) needs to have closure in order to move on with their life. There's nothing more maddening than being dumped and not know why you're being dumped. D3 is a very bad GF.
    This is the first time I have seen a post turn green from the positive rep given to it. I just read this threads 6 pages and 103 posts and it has been incredibly interesting to see so many players of different levels all in agreement. And the posts are not angry or impulsive - the posts are really well thought out and genuinely sad that MPQ is becoming unplayable. I hope the devs see this thread and notice that all of these users are united in our disappointment in erect chafes in the game. I hope they recognize how unusual if is to have a thread where everyone is in agreement and that no one is arguing a different opinion.
    and it sure helps that its from one of the popular players in a popular alliance, reiterating the same popular (though valid) sentiments that have been brought up for months. I'd be amazed if it didn't go green. icon_cool.gif
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll probably get flamed for this, but I don't have a huge problem with scaling. The game punishes players who take a brute force approach by playing every node to death, while rewarding those who play smarter. Taking advantage of rubberbanding, not falling victim to the laws of diminishing returns, and not obsessively striking after each reset, these things seem to pay off. It's a similar deal in pvp, where brute forcing through loads of low-point opponents will ramp up your mmr.

I'm not saying it's a great system, it is quite flawed, but the real problem is a lack of transparency. If the devs want scaling to work this way, then it should be explained clearly within the game, rather than having to scour the forums and learn all this technical detail just to compete. Funnily enough, scaling seemed to work out a lot better for me once I stopped trying so hard, and I still do about as well as I ever did.

I hardly played The Hunt at all. I did one full clear of most brackets (except Florida, screw that place!), with maybe an extra one or two of the high point nodes to boost my score a bit. I loaded up the Simulator on the first day and the entry nodes were both 155. And as soon as I entered, EVERY SINGLE FIGHT was above 230. How does that make sense? How is scaling "working as intended" if I'm not grinding hard and I'm getting punished as if I am?

I've slogged through to the high ISO reward on each brackets of this Simulator event but that's it. I don't have the time nor the inclination to butt heads against ridiculously levelled characters for the chance to win a Falcon cover, or - for 76th to 500th place - a single measly Daken cover. It's a bad joke with no punchline and it feels like somebody is laughing at my expense.
  • LordWill
    LordWill Posts: 341
    I hardly played The Hunt at all. I did one full clear of most brackets (except Florida, screw that place!), with maybe an extra one or two of the high point nodes to boost my score a bit. I loaded up the Simulator on the first day and the entry nodes were both 155. And as soon as I entered, EVERY SINGLE FIGHT was above 230. How does that make sense? How is scaling "working as intended" if I'm not grinding hard and I'm getting punished as if I am?

I've slogged through to the high ISO reward on each brackets of this Simulator event but that's it. I don't have the time nor the inclination to butt heads against ridiculously levelled characters for the chance to win a Falcon cover, or - for 76th to 500th place - a single measly Daken cover. It's a bad joke with no punchline and it feels like somebody is laughing at my expense.

Well don't worry, they are revamping the ingame store and making a 40 heroic pack size. So its all good.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    LordWill wrote:

Well don't worry, they are revamping the ingame store and making a 40 heroic pack size. So its all good.
    And the first one you buy a day will have an amazing 200 HP discount!
  • kensterr wrote:
    and it sure helps that its from one of the popular players in a popular alliance, reiterating the same popular (though valid) sentiments that have been brought up for months. I'd be amazed if it didn't go green. icon_cool.gif

Couple things i'd like to point out with that statement.

1- Our alliance is not popular, we are hated by everyone. It's only through hard work and our press officer that it seems like we are popular.

2- I have never seen another thread complaining about scaling. Nope never. edit: may not be true

3- I am the Justin Bieber/ Team Edward/ Oprah of the forum world which i guess makes me a shiny gay black woman who has constant battles with her weight, come to think of it icon_e_surprised.gif
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    kensterr wrote:

Couple things i'd like to point out with that statement.

1- Our alliance is not popular, we are hated by everyone. It's only through hard work and our press officer that it seems like we are popular.

2- I have never seen another thread complaining about scaling. Nope never. edit: may not be true

3- I am the Justin Bieber/ Team Edward/ Oprah of the forum world which i guess makes me a shiny gay black woman who has constant battles with her weight, come to think of it icon_e_surprised.gif

-.-" I didn't make that quote, did I?
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    Meanwhile, there doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence that the scaling problem affects any but the "higher end" of the player-base, who might be expected to be a little savvier about banging their heads into brick walls.

Not sure if I understand this statement correctly, but let me say that my alliance mates who has better roster than me, played the game about 2 months longer than me, has much lower levels in the simulator even though our placings in PVE events has been about the same. I still consider myself mid-tier but I am already hit with higher scaling than them.
  • kensterr wrote:

-.-" I didn't make that quote, did I?

Probably not, i'm too lazy too check and it's far to early icon_e_smile.gif i'll just pretend you did.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've seen many cases of where people who have almost identical rosters have complete opposite ends of the spectrum in levels.
    Not sure how that's fair on the player with the higher levels. Just because they either

a) Enjoy the game and played it more/grinded
    b) Efficiently completed their battles by taking less damage and/or made sharp (and quick) work of their opponents.

...if that's how scaling is intended to work, I'd take a long hard look at where you want the direction of PvE to go and the longevity of games lifespan.
    Alienating players who stick around to play long enough cannot be in any way included in the mission statement.

A game is only as valuable as it's playerbase and if you only cater for new players, well...
  • People need to stop spreading the myth about how you're punished for being 'good'. No you're punished when you take 50 turns in a row without the other side getting to do anything, and the game rightfully suspects that there's something weird going on and then punishes you for it. There's no way you can come close to hitting the crazy scaling factor without using Magneto, Spiderman, or Modern Storm on desert/forest. And no you can't get punished for grinding 'efficiently' either because you'd go through 10 level 141 guys in 10 games even if you only took 3000 total damage per fight (10 match 3s for level 200+ enemies, and generally less damage than one AP consuming move at that range).

And while it'd be good if the game actually addresses the mechanism that lets you take an unreasonable amount of turns in a row, it's hardly a secret that this kind of behavior is extremely frowned upon, so don't act very surprised when your enemies are level 395 because you cheesed them the whole way.
  • Twysta
    edited May 2014
    You're right Phantron.
    People shouldn't be able to co-ordinate and use abilities that are given to you in an efficient and effective manner to win battles, what kind of puzzle game would this be if you could do that? Right?

Not sure what pyro vision googles you're wearing there, but levels are still scaling pretty high even without people using spiderman, magneto or storm in desert/forest.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Aren't your levels approaching the 395 territory, Phantron? What are you gonna do if that doesn't go away? You just sound as if you're completely fine with scaling (besides the fact that people start with vastly different scaling) and only we silly schmoes bring the horrors upon ourselves.
  • Twysta
    locked wrote:
    Aren't your levels approaching the 395 territory, Phantron? What are you gonna do if that doesn't go away? You just sound as if you're completely fine with scaling (besides the fact that people start with vastly different scaling) and only we silly schmoes bring the horrors upon ourselves.

It''s your own fault locked! Try it without using abilities. If that doesn't work try it without heroes.
    Use the force or something.
  • Spoit wrote:
    LordWill wrote:

40-packs are up... 15 THOUSAND Hero Points (with discount!) icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

You were saving up your Stark Salaries for the "greatest" chance to pull 3 and 4 star covers... right?
  • Phantron wrote:
    People need to stop spreading the myth about how you're punished for being 'good'. No you're punished when you take 50 turns in a row without the other side getting to do anything, and the game rightfully suspects that there's something weird going on and then punishes you for it. There's no way you can come close to hitting the crazy scaling factor without using Magneto, Spiderman, or Modern Storm on desert/forest. And no you can't get punished for grinding 'efficiently' either because you'd go through 10 level 141 guys in 10 games even if you only took 3000 total damage per fight (10 match 3s for level 200+ enemies, and generally less damage than one AP consuming move at that range).

And while it'd be good if the game actually addresses the mechanism that lets you take an unreasonable amount of turns in a row, it's hardly a secret that this kind of behavior is extremely frowned upon, so don't act very surprised when your enemies are level 395 because you cheesed them the whole way.

Or when your enemies are level 200+ because other people cheesed them the whole way
    Or beating All-Goons battles without taking much damage
    Or using AP denial, or LazyCap protect tiles, or Patch/Loki, or OBW healing, or any other non-stun strategy that lets you actually win a battle besides sticking in LT and Hulk to damage-sponge
  • Lyrian wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    LordWill wrote:

40-packs are up... 15 THOUSAND Hero Points (with discount!) icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

You were saving up your Stark Salaries for the "greatest" chance to pull 3 and 4 star covers... right?

Actually d3p I think the "greatest" chance to pull 4 star covers is to buy six 4 star covers with that HP
  • Twysta
    gamar wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    People need to stop spreading the myth about how you're punished for being 'good'. No you're punished when you take 50 turns in a row without the other side getting to do anything, and the game rightfully suspects that there's something weird going on and then punishes you for it. There's no way you can come close to hitting the crazy scaling factor without using Magneto, Spiderman, or Modern Storm on desert/forest. And no you can't get punished for grinding 'efficiently' either because you'd go through 10 level 141 guys in 10 games even if you only took 3000 total damage per fight (10 match 3s for level 200+ enemies, and generally less damage than one AP consuming move at that range).

Or when your enemies are level 200+ because other people cheesed them the whole way
    Or beating All-Goons battles without taking much damage
    Or using AP denial, or LazyCap protect tiles, or Patch/Loki, or OBW healing, or any other non-stun strategy that lets you actually win a battle besides sticking in LT and Hulk to damage-sponge

NO.
    Phantron has spoken.
    It's your own goshdarn fault.

mod edit (Riggy): profanity check
  • locked wrote:

My nodes are around 220-240 on hard this time and I have a 2000 point lead over #3 on my main bracket as of the end of R2 so it's not like I'm playing significantly less than normal. The difference is that I now use my broken characters only in case of emergencies.

It's not a secret that Big Brother is watching you when you use one of the 3 broken combos in the game. This is reminiscient of guys who saying using Ragnarok with 2 AP Thunderclap is totally intended. Instead of nerfing Spiderman/Magneto/Modern Storm on desert/forest, now there's a hidden check to make sure you don't get away with it. It's not clear to me if this is better than just nerfing the character but the intention should no longer be a secret now. Since Daken is not on every other node like The Hunt, the 395s are mostly beatable with the same tricks even if they don't go away, but since you don't have Daken everywhere, there's no need to ever resort to using broken tactics to get scaling out of control.
  • Zirtak
    Zirtak Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Just started reading this topic and with 11 pages it is tl;dr but I wanna add my thoughts here to support the OP. Scaling is insane and it takes away the fun.

Recent changes to the game, and I am talking about alliances here, are great. I love the way teamworks earns extra prizes (even though you could win all those prizes solo before the introduction of alliances). And even when I don't care about placing highly in tournaments, I do it anyway, all for the alliance (hail 5DX). I woke up at 4am last night to raise my score for stupid Doom covers. So good job devs: you've made an even bigger addict out of me.

Yet I am glad current PVE is not part of Season 1, so I don't * have* to play it for the alliance. **** this PVE. **** it right in the ear. After the grindfest that was The Hunt and the *here are some little girls and a couple of <deleted> to fight lvl 240 Venom with PVE*, this one takes the lead in being the worst.

I decided not to play PVE, probably a first in all the time I am playing this game.

Thanks devs.

+1 to the OP
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Phantron wrote:
    Since Daken is not on every other node like The Hunt, the 395s are mostly beatable with the same tricks even if they don't go away, but since you don't have Daken everywhere, there's no need to ever resort to using broken tactics to get scaling out of control.
    I dunno, Human Torch fed black or Devil Dino/Patch fed green seem rather broken in their own right to me
This discussion has been closed.