Unhealthy PVE: Tap tap tap the whole day

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    10 times wouldn't solve the tie breaking issue.  It would actually make more people grind to exactly 10 clears,  both making tie breaks more of an issue and driving those same people to complain about increased grindiness.

Not 10 clears, 10 times the node value.

The SuperTap works because you can outpace the refresh on any node worth less than about 1440 (assuming it takes you 1 minute to clear/reload a 3 pt node).   If every node is worth 1440+, then this method of 'optimal' play disintegrates.

Of course, easier solution is just lock the nodes at 6 clears (4 for waves).  Once you get the rewards, you're done.  Doesn't solve the ridiculous bracket/scheduled play problems of course, but it'd be a start. 
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Tappers can be annoying but it's not really that wide spread of a problem.  Surprisingly nobody was tapping in my bracket for LJ and i barely got 2nd place.  Now, if I was tapped out of top 10, then i would say to revisit this issue, but at worse I've seen is 3 people tapping at the same time in a bracket.  Sometimes I tap 10 minutes early during 2 day subs for that sweet sweet CP for the top 3, but as long as I get into the top 10 playing normally I don't care about the tappers.  
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    in some ways it is good.  if you have a lower roster, but are willing to put in the time, you can still win.  Otherwise it is just the rich get richer.  

• Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    The tie breaker excuse is just that. An excuse. Ties happen so rarely in pve. At the end of an event, I've only seen a handful in the past couple of years.  
  • Dax317
    Dax317 Posts: 87 Match Maker

Dax317 said:
    I define a whale as anyone playing outside their Clearance Level.
    WOW! So we can all be whales! I'll go apply to the most spendy alliance I know and assure them I will only play in SCL 1. According to Dax, ya can't get any more cetaceous than that!

I apologize if I was in unclear here, but if you are suppose to play in cl 8 but play down in 6 or 5, or if you are suppose to play in 6 and play down in 4 or 3 then yes you are a whale, or maybe you prefer ringer. My understanding Is that the cl were suppose to level the playing field, but I suppose you are the type that wants to play professional athletes against college kids so you can make sure and win. Got it. 
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    You know what would help tapping? Reverting it back so that points regened every 2.5 hours. And whoever can schedule their sleep and job around that wins!
  • Dax317
    Dax317 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    WEBGAS said:
    PROGRESSION REWARDS only
    ....put the top prize at 6-7 or even 8 clears and get rid of placement for Heaven' s sake  o:)
    The more I think about this the more I really like the idea for a few reasons:

1) If they are worried about people playing to much this gives a finite end goal. You have 24 or 48 hours, depending on how many nodes (looking at you Florida), to complete the clears for each sub-event. No more tapping for tie breakers or people spending unhealthy amounts of time on the game.

2) It allows people to play at their own pace. Real life happens, so be it. You want to clear several nodes at lunch great. Mad at your boss and you decide to take a long dump at work, marvelous! But it allows us the players to balance real life and the game we enjoy.

3) They make money because if everyone gets all the new characters everyone is going to need hp for character slots. 

See everyone wins.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't you know that home tapping is killing music?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Dax317 said:
    WEBGAS said:
    PROGRESSION REWARDS only
    ....put the top prize at 6-7 or even 8 clears and get rid of placement for Heaven' s sake  o:)
    The more I think about this the more I really like the idea for a few reasons:

1) If they are worried about people playing to much this gives a finite end goal. You have 24 or 48 hours, depending on how many nodes (looking at you Florida), to complete the clears for each sub-event. No more tapping for tie breakers or people spending unhealthy amounts of time on the game.

2) It allows people to play at their own pace. Real life happens, so be it. You want to clear several nodes at lunch great. Mad at your boss and you decide to take a long dump at work, marvelous! But it allows us the players to balance real life and the game we enjoy.

3) They make money because if everyone gets all the new characters everyone is going to need hp for character slots. 

See everyone wins.

After getting all the 5* players back to playing PVE, thereby increasing competition for t10 enormously, progression only PVE is about 50 million lightyears from the devs' minds.
    Not going to happen.
    If anything you'll see an increased importance on placement rewards.

See also: 15 CP for T10 in PVP in the test instead of giving that to everyone who can hit 1200.

Anyone who thinks they'll shuffle meaningful placement rewards into progression is delusional.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,238 Chairperson of the Boards
    Progression only has sounded good to players for years. Possibly since the start of the game - am not a day-one player.  Anyway, the suggestion has been made innumerable times.  (If it was once a week, that would be 208 times.  And I'm sure it's more than once a week.). It obviously ain't happening.
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    why most (or maybe all players) says dev (says that, dev only know, dev may or may not, dev..................).

i don't know, but i think dev have their manager to decide how the game should be, dev do implement things, write code, ..........., but i don't think the final decision is made by dev.
  • bluewolf
    Lucifier said:
    why most (or maybe all players) says dev (says that, dev only know, dev may or may not, dev..................).

i don't know, but i think dev have their manager to decide how the game should be, dev do implement things, write code, ..........., but i don't think the final decision is made by dev.
    Correct.  Also remember that there is a developer and a publisher - two companies! - that make different decisions, some together, some not (I assume).  But "devs" is an easy catch-all.

Recently, MTG:PQ's developing studio declared it is closing.  D3Go is still the publisher, and looking for a new studio partner.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    The same player is imb again. He added over 500 points in the first day. The mere presence of him in the bracket led to another player also taptaptapping an additional 90 points.
    The rest of us in the top 5 are within 10 points of each other.
    Don't know how he has time for this when he also does the same in pvp.
  • bluewolf
    Daiches said:
    The same player is imb again. He added over 500 points in the first day. The mere presence of him in the bracket led to another player also taptaptapping an additional 90 points.
    The rest of us in the top 5 are within 10 points of each other.
    Don't know how he has time for this when he also does the same in pvp.
    Report to CS/Brigby to check for bots.  I suppose this could be someone with no job/a very boring job too.  Someone should do an hourly "wage" analysis for the return of playtime vs rewards.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    With new Scl9 coming out and it featuring LTs for high placement, I would like to draw attention to this issue again.
    Because if you believe tapping was rampant before, you ain't seen nothing yet.

• JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Daiches said:
    Something needs to be done about the point values of nodes in PVE. Someone in my bracket added 1500 points sub one over second place one tapping 3 point nodes. That's a minimum of 500 taps, closer to 600 or more to account for lost r@Brigby

Today he added another 1000 points the same way. Or 300-400 taps.
    That's close to ONE THOUSAND taps of a hard node. At give or take one minute per tap (due to animations and clicks), that would mean 1000 minutes or 16+ hours (SIXTEEN HOURS) or 2 full working days spent tapping a node.

That person needs an intervention, true. But most of all the system needs a rework as one of the stated goals of the PVE changes was to prevent exactly this.
    And we warned them it would happen. Are you listening now, D3/Demi?

@Brigby
    I have a lot of trouble believing someone can physically play the game for that long, and have to wonder if they're not actually running a script/bot/app that just replays the node for them.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just to put things into perspective.

a 300 point sub victory is equivalent to 100 taps (at 3 pts per tap)

1 tap a min means 100 min or 1 and 3/4 hour of extra play ontop of a 45 min grind.

So a an 300 pt tapper is only spending 2.5 hrs per day on pve subs.

compare that workload to what a 3*/4* roster spends in scl9 play (shooting for a T50-T100 finsih) merely looking to finish progression.

The avg 4* to 5* transition player probably avgs 1hr 15 to 1hr 30min for their standard opening/closing clear.

The 300 point tapper is only spending an extra hour of play compared to the typical 4*/5* transition roster and is guaranteeing themselves a T5 finish in the process.

Is it really surprising people thought this was a better strategy than accepting 11th place under traditional optimal?