PvP Etiquette.

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
edited September 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
So hi.

Yesterday something happened that triggered a question I think deserves global discussion.

PvP Etiquette.

What happened is, short story, I was climbing in PvP to reach that 900 points reward. Doing so requires me to attack other players and hopefully stand as successful - over and over.
The stress when you feel that you're about to to be hit back is pushing you to go faster, faster and faster.
After reaching 900 I closed the game and opened Line, an app which my alliance use for, well, communication. There I saw my alliance commander reaching out to me after another player (not linked to my alliance) had reached out to him/her with a request to ask me to stop hitting him/her.

I explained to commander what I did was not intentional, not trying to be a bully - and sorted it out.
Then I thought, how far do you go not to be a PvP bully?

What I do before i start a battle is to quickly look at the user name. Is this someone from my alliance? If yes, skip, if no, attack.
A PvP session is often around 20 battles long, no way I can remember the name on each and every player I come across.

So these questions are serious:
Do you keep a sheet where you note which ones you attacked?
How often is it appropriate to attack the same player? Once a day? Once per tournament? Once per season?
Is there value in it for me to reach out to players that double or triple hit me in order to keep things civilised in PvP?

Comments

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    You say your questions are serious but doesn't seem like it- "Once per season?". You can't figure that out for yourself??

You also state you can't possibly remember names but then at the end say you'll try. So you can possibly remember names?

Your post doesn't seem sincere. PvP isn't hard to figure out. If you keep queuing the same player they aren't shielded and your taking points from them, simple. There is nothing wrong with triple tapping and there is nothing wrong with skipping and being polite. It's all personal preference.

You care if someone hit you three times in quick succession? 

BTW. There was a huge thread that discussed PvP bulling to death, guess ya missed that.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    So you attack people without seeing their full roster strength? Interesting. No wonder you panic when you climb. Your butt must get beat like a drum.. 
  • thisone
    mexus said:
    thisone said:
    So you attack people without seeing their full roster strength? Interesting. No wonder you panic when you climb. Your butt must get beat like a drum.. 
    Where did this conclusion come from and what relevance does it carry?
    Of you not knowing how likely the person is to retaliate. Can I ask why that is not obvious?

Example: If I hit a bunch of people I know can retaliate me I will know when to #. Saves my points.
  • thisone
    mexus said:
    thisone said:
    mexus said:
    thisone said:
    Of you not knowing how likely the person is to retaliate. Can I ask why that is not obvious?

Example: If I hit a bunch of people I know can retaliate me I will know when to #. Saves my points.
    I am sorry but I still don't see the relevance to my original post.
    I'm asking if it's WRONG to hit the same people two or three times, how often it's considered OK to attack the same person and how people are keeping track of what players they already attacked.
    And you also said in your OP when you get double or triple hit should you reach out to people. So me giving you a method to not be double or triple hit seems directly relevant. Again I ask, why is this not obvious? Seems to be a trend developing here.

Would a diagram be more effective? You have Line correct? Maybe pictures can prevail where words have failed.

• thisone
    mexus said:

thisone said:
    mexus said:
    thisone said:
    mexus said:
    thisone said:

I am sorry but I still don't see the relevance to my original post.
    I'm asking if it's WRONG to hit the same people two or three times, how often it's considered OK to attack the same person and how people are keeping track of what players they already attacked.
    And you also said in your OP when you get double or triple hit should you reach out to people. So me giving you a method to not be double or triple hit seems directly relevant. Again I ask, why is this not obvious? Seems to be a trend developing here.

Would a diagram be more effective? You have Line correct? Maybe pictures can prevail where words have failed.

I get what you're writing, no need to post diagrams. 
    But I'm not asking for advice on how to avoid being double or triple hit. That part of my OP is about my responsibility after I get double or triple hit: if I should reach out to the attacker for the sake of maintaining etiquette. Like that player I hit several times did. Is that something that is best practice among PvP;ers? That's what I'm asking. :)
    Haha fair enough, not trying to be a ****.

Just in the first instance it's better to avoid getting hit is all. I try not to double hit but have had to in the past, usually in off season events so don't feel quite as bad about it.

There are check rooms for you to see who is climbing and what not. In all honesty I find them tedious having to check Line whilst playing. Some alliances actually have truces and such so it's a good habit to check out rosters if you move to a bigger alliance or a family of them. Other than that though it's eat or be eaten :)
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    thisone said:
    i don't think he said he don't look at the roster. (maybe he does, maybe not)

anyway, for me, when i attack someone, i do look at roster (not full roster, just quick look to get an idea about it), BUT i do not focus on names, even if i see a name, i will forget it very quick.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Well, I never watch the roster of the one I am 'attacking'. I mean, what's the point? If a guy gets mad for 'attacking' him, he will find a way to attack you back if he really wants to, regardless of his roster. 

Therefore, I do not pay so much attention to the names either, but I do remember which teams of characters I fight against, and if I come across the same team, I may watch to see the name and if I fought that guy before or if the matching system will bring that guy back again.

Personally, I don't see this thing with attacking the same person more than 1 time to really be called bullying. The matching system will usually not give you the same person to fight against, unless there are no other options. And it's not like you have a choice of not attacking people, because that's how the system works (I'm not quite fond of it myself, but this is what it is). Everybody fights for points, and caring who exactly you hit, seems a bit too much for me. But then again, I'm not fighting for top PvP. I'm just pursuing the reward I want, and that's it. 

And I almost never attack someone back, because of one important reason: the score you see for that fight is not relevant all the time. If one guy attacked you 4 hours ago, the score you see is not the score you'll get if you fight him back. You might get higher, or lower, depending on what he made during that time, or how many fought him back. So I just skip all and find fresh targets. 

The only time I may attack back is when I'm trying to get to 900 points and somebody is sniping me, but that doens't occur to often. Depends on my mood really. But again it's not like anybody can do anything about it.. it's how the system works. The one who is 'sniping' doesn't know that you have one more fight for your reward and then you don't even care how many points you lose. He just sees a decent target with good points and he attacks you. And you do the same in that situation.

• Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    @D4Ni13
    Well, I never watch the roster of the one I am 'attacking'. I mean, what's the point? If a guy gets mad for 'attacking' him, he will find a way to attack you back if he really wants to, regardless of his roster. 
    not because he/she get mad, some strong rosters play with weak team, why because when they retaliate then they use their strong team to win easy many fights for them, so most likely they will attack you back.

another case if the one you attack, have good roster compare to you, also there is a good chance he/she will retaliate. (this is general not planned).

another case, some weaker rosters than me, when i want to attack them (i will check their roster) and most likely they will not attack me back, because even if they win, they will lose a lot of health, and many players do not do that, and they search for a weaker opponent to attack (so high chance they will just skip me).

these are the reasons why i check the roster before i attack.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 said:
    Well, I never watch the roster of the one I am 'attacking'. I mean, what's the point?
    Because maybe you don't want to hit a trap cake from someone who leaves out some 4* characters to attract hits but also has 480+ 5s on the roster.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    to the op. If you are on Line, it would help to have it open while you are pvp'ing. How you play pvp is personal preference and you have to live with the consequences of your play style. If you want to hit repeatedly without checking, then just be prepared for retaliation in kind and accept that it's part of the game. If you want to play "nice", join a battle chat and shield check. But that is your call to make.

My only concern is that your alliance commander was reaching out bc of the behavior. When you are part of an alliance, there is some expected etiquette such as respecting outside alliance truces and courtesies like not hitting your own alliance members (when unshielded). Be careful that your pvp play doesn't jeopardize your membership in the alliance or put them in a tough spot of backing your play up by starting a snipe war with a formerly friendly alliance. Play however your alliance commander advises; otherwise, it's all open for interpretation. 
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been on both sides of this fence.  When I first became able to hit 900, I wondered about decorum and etiquette.  Being of a general "do unto others" mindset I think it's mean to repeatedly hit someone.

Then the forum at large basically said "No one cares.  There is no morality or sportsmanship or fair play here.  If your target is worth enough points, take the points.  Tinykitty them if they're too stupid not to shield."

And that's how it is.  The person whining to your commander for relief is the one in the wrong, at least according to forum culture.  If they kept getting hit, they should have known to shield and lay low until they cleared from peoples' queues and try again in a few hours with the brief head start you get.  There is no mercy in PvP.  Everyone has equal access to the one defensive mechanism available, and if you don't know how to use it, you figure it out quick.  Any relief a player could potentially get from a cease-fire, peace treaty, gentleman's rules, etc. is instantly negated by the hundreds of other people actively searching for valuable targets who aren't communicating on Line.
  • beyonderbub

Bowgentle said:
    D4Ni13 said:
    Well, I never watch the roster of the one I am 'attacking'. I mean, what's the point?
    Because maybe you don't want to hit a trap cake from someone who leaves out some 4* characters to attract hits but also has 480+ 5s on the roster.
    Another week of Lightning Rounds coming to an end and you just described my FAVORITE practice of trapcaking!

I will join the Lightning round at the beginning and clear all the easy seed teams. I will beat the last seed team using a maxxed champed feature 3* alongside with two 1*s with only one cover. I come back with a half hour left in the round and find several defensive wins and a few juicy retaliation nodes who are loaded with high points and no chance to retaliate against my A teams once I clear them out. 
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Be careful that your pvp play doesn't jeopardize your membership in the alliance or put them in a tough spot of backing your play up by starting a snipe war with a formerly friendly alliance. Play however your alliance commander advises; otherwise, it's all open for interpretation. 

What means it to "snipe"?
  • beyonderbub
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Be careful that your pvp play doesn't jeopardize your membership in the alliance or put them in a tough spot of backing your play up by starting a snipe war with a formerly friendly alliance. Play however your alliance commander advises; otherwise, it's all open for interpretation. 

Waiting on purpose for a person to be unshielded before attacking them in pvp. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

/thread.

This is where this was headed from the start, but of course we needed another one of these.
  • twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker
    beyonderbub said:

I will join the Lightning round at the beginning and clear all the easy seed teams. I will beat the last seed team using a maxxed champed feature 3* alongside with two 1*s with only one cover. I come back with a half hour left in the round and find several defensive wins and a few juicy retaliation nodes who are loaded with high points and no chance to retaliate against my A teams once I clear them out. 
    This is evil ... and I absolutely love it. Will be dropping 2k HP in order to get the required 1* characters to do this too. Quick question though, wouldn't you want to use the loaner 3* in order to get more retals (though you obviously would miss out on def wins)?

This discussion has been closed.