Yet Another Nerf Thanos Poll

Comments

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Please nerf him asap (or at least soon).
    Oh hey, look, I found the end of the conversation.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's fine the way he is.
    So just recently champed my first 5*. It has given me the pleasure of being able to queue panthos teams. Usually for A LOT of points on my end climb. My problem with that combo IS NOT Thanos, the problem is BP. I try to make sure I have a power or TU that can nearly one shot him. Thanos can be managed, it's BP that deals massive damage more readily. Panther's Prey can really hurt, and Spirit of Wakanda- I have, more than once, had one character taken down from a simple yellow match when having ~25K health. I'm not saying to nerf BP, I'm saying remove BP from the team and Thanos himself isn't too hard to defeat. Especially since my 5 is Phoenix and I can add decent strikes and buff them. I just take something that can down BP quickly, chase that AP and red. Make him self stun with Phoenix red, then take him out with whatever power/TU I brought. 
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    He's fine the way he is.
    D4Ni13 said:
    The only reason to nerf Thanos would be if he was actually hurting gameplay.  There's definitely an argument to be made that he is: he trivializes PvE in a way that many would argue is not fun.

I would also like to dispute your use of the word "many."

They increased the amount of clears from 4 to 5 to get all the rewards.  I think it is safe to say "many" people did not like that move.  So we have a character that can help make those clears faster, how is that a bad thing?  This game is all about speed, like it or not. 

The problem for OP isn't Thanos.  Its the game design in 3 parts.  First is the impossible odds for classic 5*. Second is that Story mode does not have true, all encompassing progression rewards, so speed helps separate the top 10 from everyone else.  Third is the Versus Mode rewards the strongest and fastest, so basically the same thing
    You don't think the move to 5 clears was a *reaction* to people overusing Thanos?  Because I do.  I honestly think if Thanos didn't exist (either of them), then they wouldn't have gone to any lengths to increase time spent on progression.

I feel like it's really darn likely that all the competitive players racing to the finish with Thanos created an environment where Demi felt it was okay to increase play times across the board, directly hurting anyone who doesn't want to play that way.
    I actually think the new Grocket is better in PvE than Thanos. He ends the matches as fast if not faster, and it doesn't burn the healthpacks. 
    Since I have Grocket, I rarely use Phantos in PvE.
    So your point is what, that because there are other characters for competitive players to race with, I shouldn't lay all the blame for Demi adding a fifth clear on Thanos?  That doesn't really solve anything, though, since progression is still grindier than ever thanks to racers, regardless of which specific unbalanced character they use.
    My point is that you are searching for excuses and I don't think blaming others is the way to solve this problem you have with grinding. And as long as there is a faster combo than Phantos it means that it's not OP.

For the record I'm not competing in top PvE (I tried in the past, but not right now), and I'm only using Grocket to spare me the time. I also believe that current PvE is wrong and better solutions for making the difference between players should be sought. Grinding the same node over and over is not a good solution. Also PvE with placement rewards is stupid. It's against the definition of PvE, but whatever.

Bottom line is that PvE is not perfect and Thanos is not OP. And the reason they added more rewards and more clears is actually a balance, not an effect of racers or Thanos. Before this change if you battled for top 10, in the last sub you already earned all there is to earn progression wise. So you had no motivation to fight if you thought you already lost the top 10. That is the real reason of clear 5.
  • Dax317
    Dax317 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Other (comment)
    I truly believe that Thanos should have never been made a playable character. I believe he should have been put in the Galactus, Ultron category.
  • CHRISJN
    CHRISJN Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    He's fine the way he is.
    Dont nerf.. i need to make up for all the lost placement in pve due to slow clearing of nodes and lost pvp fights because last time i dont have him in a better level.  Now i have him at level 435, time to bounce back. Give him a year more maybe to stay that way.  Call me selfish but thats what i want...
    And thanos is promoting hp use due to health packs and in turn more $$ for the devs... 
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Other (comment)
    As the history of mpq has demonstrated nerfs the vast majority of the time annoy the playerbase and buffs make them happy.

So create some other characters with balanced counters does seem to be the most constructive way forward.

And buff Banner and Doc Ock.  Banner is fun but really needs some help and could be really good. As for Doc Ock. Just wow. How bad is he. Needs to be reworked. There should not be any bad 5s and there has not been any 5* buffs for a while so those two would be great.
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Please nerf him asap (or at least soon).
    I still don't like how Thanos trivializes PVE. The only "puzzle" aspect is who to pair with him on each node to conserve health packs. Might as well make an auto-win button for the easy nodes in the current setup of PVE and save the time to flip through screens to make one match.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Unfortunately you can't fix this by creating a new character that counters Thanos.  That would limit his use in PVP, but PVE is where he really should be limited.  A champed Thanos is nearly a requirement for t10 in SL 8, and it shouldn't be that way.  

I know it would upset a ton of people, but it might be good for the game in the long run.  They probably should have left him alone instead of buffing him a few weeks after his release.  Or was that just the 3* version?
  • Dax317
    edited September 2017
    Other (comment)
    I still think they should have never have made him a playable character, as I stated above. I will upset lots of people with this next statement and I will preface it by saying that I benefit from Thanos in pve so that I am finishing in the top 10, with that being said: I believe they should remove both versions of Thanos from being playable. Give players 5 star tokens like they did for the OML nerf and 3 star tokens for the lower level Thanos. I know this would upset many and many will think I am crazy for even mentioning it, but I truly believe this is the best solution. But imagine a boss event with Thanos! That would be awesome!
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's fine the way he is.
    Dax317 said:
    I still think they should have never have made him a playable character, as I stated above. I will upset lots of people with this next statement and I will preface it by saying that I benefit from Thanos in pve so that I am finishing in the top 10, with that being said: I believe they should remove both versions of Thanos from being playable. Give players 5 star tokens like they did for the OML nerf and 3 star tokens for the lower level Thanos. I know this would upset many and many will think I am crazy for even mentioning it, but I truly believe this is the best solution. But imagine a boss event with Thanos! That would be awesome!
    As someone who sold his OML when that left me with 1 champed 5* and now I'm at 8 of them, I will say that the tokens were flippin' awful.

Give us something better than tokens if they're going to take out a major character like that. Heck, give us blank 5* covers we can apply to any 5* we want in whatever color we need (including Champ levels). Then I'll bring up my Black Bolt who is languishing with multiple extra Green covers I've had to sell off and run him as the "easy" button like people were doing pre-Thanos.

Also, as I recall there was a Thanos boss event.
  • Dax317
    Other (comment)
    jackstar0 said:
    Dax317 said:
    As someone who sold his OML when that left me with 1 champed 5* and now I'm at 8 of them, I will say that the tokens were flippin' awful.

Give us something better than tokens if they're going to take out a major character like that. Heck, give us blank 5* covers we can apply to any 5* we want in whatever color we need (including Champ levels). Then I'll bring up my Black Bolt who is languishing with multiple extra Green covers I've had to sell off and run him as the "easy" button like people were doing pre-Thanos.

Also, as I recall there was a Thanos boss event.
    I too sold my OML. Blanks would be great. The mechanics of how to me not as important as just the removal. I agree with your post. I am thinking of a Thanos boss event with his children that will be featured in Infinity War. Then being part of each mode to have to fight him again. I just think that would be fun.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    He's fine the way he is.
    Please please do not give tokens for selling any nerfed 5*. That was insulting
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Kevmcg said:
    I still don't like how Thanos trivializes PVE. The only "puzzle" aspect is who to pair with him on each node to conserve health packs. Might as well make an auto-win button for the easy nodes in the current setup of PVE and save the time to flip through screens to make one match.
    As long as PvE retains the ridiculously grindy format of doing the same thing over at least five times with a minimum of 9 repeatable nodes per sub, I'm for as much trivializing as possible.  An auto-win button might be the best PvE innovation ever suggested on these forums.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    He's fine the way he is.
    Dax317 said:
    I think I would rather see them bring back the Board Drop of Death and let chance decide who makes top 10 rather than removing Thanos from play or the insulting 1 cover back for every two you own (and leveled).
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    He's fine the way he is.
    Thanos kind of balances out his self.

His only true good power is black. It allows people who actually put iso into to finally get some decent results in pve over those who haven't (Which is fine and as it should be when you move up a tier)  

However for those that want to rush into that, they have to take a hit in pvp. Your scaling is gonna be screwed and your in 5 pvp land.

And a single or even a couple of leveled 5 aint really enough.

Thanos is fine, and as clearance levels open up he'll be less and less effective. 
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Beer40 said:
    Bring back OML.
    Beer40 said:
    Bring back OML.
    Beer40 said:
    Bring back OML.

They nerfed OML for being in 10% of all matches, now Thanos is in like 80% of them. I don't support a Thanos nerf but OML needs to be restored.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    He's fine the way he is.
    Of course 75% of people are going to vote no nerf.  People hate nerfs.  That doesn't mean nerfs are always a bad idea.

That said, If Thanos' problem is that he's too strong competitively, then that's completely addressable by future releases.  The only reason to nerf Thanos would be if he was actually hurting gameplay.  There's definitely an argument to be made that he is: he trivializes PvE in a way that many would argue is not fun.

90% of the people who want him nerfed want him nerfed for PvP, though, which I think is silly.  I'm not in the 5* tier at all, but I've never heard that Thanos does anything special in PvP except make people be slightly more careful with their life totals than they would be otherwise.  That's no reason to nerf.
    Your argument sounds very much like a reason NOT to nerf yet you voted to nerf ASAP.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    He's fine the way he is.
    Dax317 said:

You are crazy. The tokens offered for OML were an absolute slap in the face. Not to mention the amount of ISO that's been poured into these characters. Removing content is a terrible idea. A lot of people quit after OML nerf and it'd probably be more if they did it again.

• Dax317
    Other (comment)
    Qubort said:
    Dax317 said:

You are crazy. The tokens offered for OML were an absolute slap in the face. Not to mention the amount of ISO that's been poured into these characters. Removing content is a terrible idea. A lot of people quit after OML nerf and it'd probably be more if they did it again.

If people quit over a nerf, then I feel for them. This is just my humble opinion. Rebalancing is never a terrible idea as long as the consumer is justly compensated. I agree with you that the OML compensation was horrible. This would be my compensation for Thanos: one for one covers up to 13 and if the character is champed 1 cover for every 5 champed levels and the covers would be Clear 5 star covers to be used on any character, clear 3 star covers to be used the same way, and at least 80% iso reimbursement. Thanos is being used way more than the 10% threshold OML was. 
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    This topic wasnt loud and clear? 
This discussion has been closed.