Yet Another Nerf Thanos Poll

ejmus
ejmus Posts: 55 Match Maker
edited August 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
It's been discussed before, and maybe I'm whistling at the wind, but I just wanted to surface this to the devs again, because I do think he is legitimately causing serious damage to the end game. There is almost nothing out there but Thanos/Panther after Thanos/Panther, and I personally strongly dislike being forced to use him for every single fight myself to defend myself (nothing fun or strategic though).

So I'm curious if the community agrees, is the situation bleak, or is it really fine with him at the top sitting in his throne with his feet getting numb?

I'll also link Kevin's previous thread: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/65411/anyone-else-joining-the-nerf-thanos-movement

Disclaimer: I have him champed, with not too many other 5*s, but not Panther. Also, first poll, apologies if it's off.

Also suggestion: I think all he needs is to lose 5k dmg or so in green/black, he'd still be really strong but maybe a little less required.

Yet Another Nerf Thanos Poll 158 votes

Please nerf him asap (or at least soon).
15%
octagon69Yasurusinnerjflcarrion_pigeonsanimeratmoss04j0natsjohnnyzeroHendrossValekBossmeekersXOver__FlowDaredevil217MaxxPowerzTheXManKevmcgDaSalcapi121waywrethmonsieurmojo 25 votes
He needs it but I can wait.
5%
babinroEbolamonkey84SteellatchBigBZ32rastafari7finlanderboylegengSporr 8 votes
He is OP but no nerf needed.
12%
StonyHxiiiKChrono_TataGritsNGravygrunth13leeleeshineDaichesDoc LPiro_plockvinnygeckoOrionKannanJarvindmotownjunkieMirrorKnightDemanufacture69therightwayeScreen MonkeyspacedwarfMjsleftglove 19 votes
He's fine the way he is.
62%
DayvPorkBellyantreas1911PolaresWonko33Spiritclawahunter5RemoDestroyerContinuedClockkillercoolthedarkphoenixnonnelMojoWildatomzedslaxer723n33folsKaazzPhumadeGrimSkaldRealstuff_NameChange 99 votes
Other (comment)
4%
DormammuIamTheBiggsirwandomr_XbrollWumpushunterDax317 7 votes

Comments

• shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    He's fine the way he is.
    other characters come out and the meta changes.
  • ejmus
    But I think that's called power creep, and not good news for all the rest of the 5s...
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other (comment)
    It seems to me as though Thanos is just the current 5-star flavor of the month that is 'overpowered'. Before him it was Black Bolt, before him it was OML...

But I have no idea, I only have his 3-star version champed so these high-level problems escape me. It's no different for us in 4-star land. Yesterday it was Cardusa, today its Gramora, tomorrow it'll be something else.
  • ejmus
    byc said:
    Name your favorite character so we can start nerf polls for it as well. 
    Wow.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other (comment)
    You call out that it's 'yet another' so you're acknowledging that you voluntarily spammed?
  • BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    I feel 4* PvP is the answer to Panthos. In First Defender and Cage Match, they weren't as big of a threat.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    The game survives on power creep, its how you can have 50+ heroes in a tier and still have people motivated to get the new ones.  Power creep should slowly have thanos take a back seat to someone else...  I'd like to see a faster 5* release schedule to help it along, but I'd also like to see better ways of obtaining 5* covers...
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    It seems to me as though Thanos is just the current 5-star flavor of the month that is 'overpowered'. Before him it was Black Bolt, before him it was OML...

But I have no idea, I only have his 3-star version champed so these high-level problems escape me. It's no different for us in 4-star land. Yesterday it was Cardusa, today its Gramora, tomorrow it'll be something else.
    I agree with this, and I think the reason this still has legs is that there haven't been any newer 5* good enough to challenge Thanos (or combos to challenge BP/Thanos) at the top of the heap. The difference to your example is that 4* characters come out more often and are distributed more frequently. 5* not only come out 1/2 as often, but they also take much longer to collect covers for and level. 

As for my personal opinion...Thanos is definitely OP, there's a reason you see people using their 452 Thanos over their 480+ OML/Phoenix. However, he's not that hard to beat as far as 5* go. I do find it annoying that such a large percentage of my PvP opponents are using him because it gets really boring and can sometimes take a while since he's got a lot of health. That alone though, isn't really enough to warrant a nerf IMO. Maybe lower his health a little bit? 
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    I agree with a lot of what people have said already, but added to the power creep/current meta argument, I also *want* Thanos to be slightly OP. He's freaking Thanos! He's the ultimate bad in the MCU, he's fought Odin, Galactus, the Avengers, the Guardians, pretty much anyone and everyone. I know the ratings and all that don't represent the real strength in the comics, but his abilities and all *are* Thanos
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Other (comment)
    I vote for "Do we really need this conversation again?"

Seriously, if you have a roster full of 5* you are in the vast minority.  If you are considering a move to 5*, as yourself why?  Teams become much more limited, characters harder to get, and ISO costs higher. What's the benefit?  Other than being to say "I'm a 5* player."

4* continues to grow quicker than every other level; I personally plan to stay there a long time.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doc L said:
    I agree with a lot of what people have said already, but added to the power creep/current meta argument, I also *want* Thanos to be slightly OP. He's freaking Thanos! He's the ultimate bad in the MCU, he's fought Odin, Galactus, the Avengers, the Guardians, pretty much anyone and everyone. I know the ratings and all that don't represent the real strength in the comics, but his abilities and all *are* Thanos
    To play devil's advocate...people said this same thing about Sentry when he came out and terrorized PvP play for the next 6 months or whatever. If you want Thanos to stay at the top of the heap for a good long while, you are basically advocating for the devs to continue putting out mediocre 5* that give the player base no incentive to spend money on collecting them if they already have Thanos. 
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's fine the way he is.
    He has a lot of HP, but you can defeat him if you build up enough strikes or other strong attacks.

His main two attacks are stopped by:

* Make sure you don't have any almost-dead people joining the battle.
    * Deny Green. In the event that you don't, match it, or stun and kill him.

So while not easy, it's not too hard to take him down without too much damage.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    mohio said:
    Doc L said:
    To play devil's advocate...people said this same thing about Sentry when he came out and terrorized PvP play for the next 6 months or whatever. If you want Thanos to stay at the top of the heap for a good long while, you are basically advocating for the devs to continue putting out mediocre 5* that give the player base no incentive to spend money on collecting them if they already have Thanos. 
    I understand your point of view - In all fairness, Sentry disappoints me. Perhaps at least, I am advocating the Devs making 5* of characters like Silver Surfer, Black Bolt, Thanos, that type. Though that is a different discussion to this poll...

Maybe I would say Thanos has representative powers, which is good to me. Being someone in 5* land, I much prefer fighting him than Panther, who is a massive jerk to fight...
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    He's fine the way he is.
    ejmus said:
    It's been discussed before, and maybe I'm whistling at the wind, but I just wanted to surface this to the devs again, 
    Is your plan to continue to bring this topic back up until you get what you want?
    To my knowledge, the developers have never directly responded with a "Yes" or "No" to any change request. They only say that they do listen to feedback and take that into account when they make their plans. 
    Because of this we can only assume they have heard this request every time it has been made and to date, they have either decided they aren't ever going to change him, or they will, but they haven't gotten to it yet. Either way, continually bringing the topic back up will not change the outcome.
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2017
    He's fine the way he is.
    Will the haters stop hating if they lose the poll? Of course not.  Just enjoy the game, and leave Thanos alone.

Hawkeye5/Coulson is actually much more unbeatable on offense.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    If we look at the game in terms of the OML nerf...then yes, Thanos is absolutely OP and needs a nerf.  He's played in pve, pvp and LR heavily by players who have him from what I've seen and heard as well as from my personal experience.

I'm completely fine with a Thanos nerf but it needs to be accompanied by a Thanos buff at the same time.  Thanos is a one trick pony, if you nerf his one trick hard enough then he'll be a strong contender for 2nd worst character in the game (we all know Doc is still worse than any perceivable Thanos nerf). 

D3 needs to tread lightly with this character and I'm honestly not sure if they could nerf Thanos in a way that's as subtle as OML's.   OML's nerf was extremely well done looking back because he's still a great 5* that's worth completing even if he's not nearly as pvp competitive as he once was.
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Other (comment)
    I think that his fix should come in the form of a new character that is capable of foiling him ("Him", anyone?). Perhaps this is a "silver bullet" kind of approach, but I think this would add a bit of variety to the game without causing serious issues to the character himself.
    Let's face it, Thanos w/ the full Infinity Gauntlet SHOULD be a menacing character.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other (comment)
    I think that his fix should come in the form of a new character that is capable of foiling him ("Him", anyone?). Perhaps this is a "silver bullet" kind of approach, but I think this would add a bit of variety to the game without causing serious issues to the character himself.
    Let's face it, Thanos w/ the full Infinity Gauntlet SHOULD be a menacing character.
    This is a better solution.  So examples of how they could do this:
    • Someone that was immune to and/or reflected team damage.  
    • Someone immune to (that's better than Surfer and/or a major buff to SS) and/or causes damage based on stun attempts.
This discussion has been closed.