Refusing 5*?

Options

Comments

• Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    legeng said:
    I have no interest in getting to the 5* tier right now. They are really hard to get and I am never going to champ the best heroes so why even bother? Most of the old 5* are tinykitty tier and the latest are not far from that.

If you started playing this game and missed the BP Thanos ship, you may as well not even bother. Champing classics? Have you seen the math in that mess? By the time I would be able to cover and champ the good ones this game will be long gone.

So unless they fundamentally change how we get 5* the 5* tier is meant for veterans (and not any veterans, just the ones that were there at the right time) and whales. I am not part of either group so I am doomed.

This means that I am going to be forever be playing at scl7 in PVE and staying the tinykitty away from 5* mmr in PVP. I may roster them if I have the HP. But leveling them? Not quite likely.

Thats the spirit.

Just because if youre starting on 5s now you cant generate enough CP to cover the tier and overcome the release rate is a reason to quit?

C'mon, man. I covered OML vis Classics just last week. True story. It can be done.

Missing BP and Thano5 means you should quit???

Im sure the rest of your roster will attest to that. None of those losers were ever meta. Nooooooo, sir.

I trust you quit then?

Probably did. Probably not even reading this.

Oh damn .... Im missing BP and Thano5, too!!!

[ * * * QUITS * * * ]

You will eventually level your 5s. And be glad you did. And feel silly for having not done.
    I've received two OML covers in two years of pulling hundreds of LT tokens and spending thousands of CP's. One of those was from a daily resupply.

The only people who care about 5* land are the people who are already there and most of them are complaining about it.

Please elaborate your taunts more, you're making this too easy.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Orion said:
    The biggest problem with 5*s was their hugely negative impact on PvE scaling.  That problem has been fixed.  Now there's still the issue with PvP MMR and your inability to use anything but 5*s in PvP.  If that doesn't bother you, then there's no reason to not use 5*s.

I could see you rostering 5*s and not leveling them.  That made a lot of sense before and probably still does.  But to just sell them for 2k ISO?  What happens when the 5* tier gets "fixed"?  Everyone starts leveling their 5*s and you're starting from scratch?  It's a bold strategy, let's see if it works out for you.
    Well honestly, when champing came out I was still working on levelling up and championing the last five to ten 3*s I had left to do and thought 4*s were a distant dream I'd maybe get around to eventually. Meanwhile others already had their maxed XFW, Thors, Invisible Womans, Nick Furies and so on.

By the time 5*s become less wonky in their execution I'll probably be on top of the 4* releases and starting from scratch. I play to max out characters, really. Being the very best like no-one ever was isn't really my bag. My goal is to get covers, get ISO and try to place well enough to get the best rewards possible.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    legeng said:
    I have no interest in getting to the 5* tier right now. They are really hard to get and I am never going to champ the best heroes so why even bother? Most of the old 5* are tinykitty tier and the latest are not far from that.

If you started playing this game and missed the BP Thanos ship, you may as well not even bother. Champing classics? Have you seen the math in that mess? By the time I would be able to cover and champ the good ones this game will be long gone.

So unless they fundamentally change how we get 5* the 5* tier is meant for veterans (and not any veterans, just the ones that were there at the right time) and whales. I am not part of either group so I am doomed.

This means that I am going to be forever be playing at scl7 in PVE and staying the tinykitty away from 5* mmr in PVP. I may roster them if I have the HP. But leveling them? Not quite likely.

Thats the spirit.

Just because if youre starting on 5s now you cant generate enough CP to cover the tier and overcome the release rate is a reason to quit?

C'mon, man. I covered OML vis Classics just last week. True story. It can be done.

Im sure the rest of your roster will attest to that. None of those losers were ever meta. Nooooooo, sir.

I trust you quit then?

[ * * * QUITS * * * ]

You will eventually level your 5s. And be glad you did. And feel silly for having not done.
    No need for so much snark. Bad week?

I think the confusion is the difference between getting them and levelling them or selling them. I wouldn't sell them, I  roster them but I won't be taking them past 255 either. 

The game is repetitive enough without limiting your roster by taking two or three up. I play a fair bit, every single pve to max and pvp to 575 and sim and dpd. That's a couple of hours per day. Almost 600cp per season, yet I'm a mile away from any 5 stars. 

If if I did get lucky like you and get one to 13 it really wouldn't do me any favours, neither would a second or third. My pvp experience would go from a fun variety to wheeling out the same tired two every event. The same as I had to when I got my first 2 or 3 four stars. The difference with the 5 star tier is it could take me another 18 months to get another to 13, the four star route I could at least see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Its worked for you, play in a way that makes you happy, the four star game is fun for me, I can happily ignore any purple token until I have 5+ at 13 or the game opens up to more of them. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tony Foot said:
    legeng said:

Thats the spirit.

I trust you quit then?

[ * * * QUITS * * * ]

No need for so much snark. Bad week?

I think the confusion is the difference between getting them and levelling them or selling them. I wouldn't sell them, I  roster them but I won't be taking them past 255 either. 

The game is repetitive enough without limiting your roster by taking two or three up. I play a fair bit, every single pve to max and pvp to 575 and sim and dpd. That's a couple of hours per day. Almost 600cp per season, yet I'm a mile away from any 5 stars. 

If if I did get lucky like you and get one to 13 it really wouldn't do me any favours, neither would a second or third. My pvp experience would go from a fun variety to wheeling out the same tired two every event. The same as I had to when I got my first 2 or 3 four stars. The difference with the 5 star tier is it could take me another 18 months to get another to 13, the four star route I could at least see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Its worked for you, play in a way that makes you happy, the four star game is fun for me, I can happily ignore any purple token until I have 5+ at 13 or the game opens up to more of them. 

That's the beauty of it, though.
    Get your 4s to 340+ and you can run them with your 5s.
    No need to do either/or, you can have 5s AND still use 4s.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes as a pve experience that would be fun but the 4 star teams would all but dissolve leaving me with 5 star teams in pvp?

That is exactly what happened to me in moving from two to three and then three to four.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tony Foot said:
    Yes as a pve experience that would be fun but the 4 star teams would all but dissolve leaving me with 5 star teams in pvp?

That is exactly what happened to me in moving from two to three and then three to four.

You can totally run 340+ buffed 4s in PVP next to 5s.
    I ran 352 Medusa with Bolt to 1200+ on first shield in all 3 PVPs last week.

• CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Tony Foot said:

Yes, but most people are a long way off of 340+ level 4*s. I've had Carol as my sole 4* BH'ed for a couple of months to try and get her there, and she's only just about to hit 320.

On the flip; don't want to champ 5*s just now? Take one or two up to 360 and they can still be fun to play without changing mmr if you have plenty of 4* champs.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options
    CT1888 said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Tony Foot said:

Yes, but most people are a long way off of 340+ level 4*s. I've had Carol as my sole 4* BH'ed for a couple of months to try and get her there, and she's only just about to hit 320.

On the flip; don't want to champ 5*s just now? Take one or two up to 360 and they can still be fun to play without changing mmr if you have plenty of 4* champs.

QFT.  I've been on the fence about trying to make the jump to 5*s, but my highest 4* is L287, most are sub L275. This is largely because I'm hoarding to be able to pull the latest 3 5*s at some point, so it's a double-edged sword.  To get to 5* land reliably and without waste you have to hoard up 300 latest pulls (which is taking me about 6 months currently) but doing that make it unlikely the 4*s you have will be usable be side them when you get there.  The 5* transition (and pretty much everything about the 5* tier from what I hear) is broken.

I think what I'm probably going to do now that vaulting being undone forced me to rethink long-term plans again.  

• Hoard all LTs until I reach 300 LTs or I have every 4* champed (latest 12 excluded), whichever comes first
    • Hoard CP until I have enough ISO built up to champ at least 3 4*s (which is gonna be a while because I have 4 4*s at 13 that will get champed first and will likely have 1-2 more up to 13 by the time those are done).
    • If I end up starting to get some 5*s to 13 before my 4*s are sufficiently higher I will soft cap them for as long as I can and try to wait for a stronger overall roster.  
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    Am I the only one that refuses the 5* aspect of this game?
    I still haven't played a year, and is building my 4*'s up by now with more than two handfull 4* champions as we speak.
    I have come across a few 5* covers, of course, but nothing about 5* interest me. Reading daily about bad cover odds, badly balanced characters, etc. etc. I have decided that 4* is enough for me. Any 5* cover I pick is another 2000 ISO-8.
    I'm also suspecting I would't be able to handle all the negative aspects of 5* game without becoming a huge spender.

Anyone with me?

Nope. If you hadn't been champing 4*s they might have made a difference, but with champed 4*s collecting 5 stars has no negative effect on the game. As a result my 5-8 cover 5 stars can be pulled out for fun every so often, heck even my 1 cover Hawkeye has his moments (It's the good cover) Whereas 2000 ISO has negligible value in the long run.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nah, I don't refuse the 5* tier. If I only rostered them after I "finished" the 4* tier, then I would be so far behind on the 5*s. From what I gather, the 5* tier is a pain because of scaling and rng. Scaling is mostly fixed, and I have them all at 255. I have some 3* champs higher than my 5*s.
    Covering a 5* is a pain, but its not my main goal so any covers are gravy.
    I don't plan on becoming a 5* player since I am strictly ftp, but I am also a collector so I don't want to sell them
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unlike a lot of the other vets, I don't have any problem with people who aren't interested in levelling up their roster for whatever reason.  It's your roster, and you're free to do whatever you like with it!

The only problem I have is the idea that people who do this should be able to win anything, ever.  Every mode in this game is a competition, and if you choose to opt out of competing, the good rewards should be off-limits to you.

Luckily the recent pve changes seem to have put an end to the one game mode where unleveled rosters can win stuff.  Enjoy your top 100 placement, guys!
    You say that like playing at the 5-star level is a choice. None of us are 'competing' for 5-star covers.
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have had bad luck with 5* covers. When they were introduced I was still champing 3*s. Now I have 30 4* champs and growing and my highest covered 5* is Silver Surfer with 9 covers, other old 5*s like Phoenix (6 covers) OML (4 covers). I've never gotten a bonus 5*. I couldn't join the 5* tier if I wanted to.

So I will just continue to champ 4*s, getting a more varied and slowly more powerful roster. I keep 5* covers when I get them and when I get a few up to 13 covers I'll take stock from there.

I don't play this game like a competition. I am fine with others who play more, have played longer or spent more having better rosters than me. I play because I like the gameplay and the collecting of characters. My roster continues to grow in number and power at a decent enough rate for me (wish we got more Iso).

But yes, selling 5* covers is extremely short sighted.

• Dormammu
    Options
    Dormammu said:....You say that like playing at the 5-star level is a choice. None of us are 'competing' for 5-star covers.
    Excellent!

Please maintain that mindset and spread it around.
    It's not a mindset, it's reality. You can't place your way into 5-star covers. You can't buy 5-star covers. The only thing any of us can do is progress our way into 5-star covers. Legendary Tokens and CP are the only way into the club and even that method requires more than a little plain old fashioned dumb luck. It's a slooooooooow progression.

It's not that I'm choosing not to play the 5-star game, I literally can't.

Yet.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phumade said:
     I'll reassess where I stand but currently the 4-star game is the most fun I've had playing. 
    The 4* tier is fun because you have the width to play all the fun combos.

The 5* tier is the exact same thing with more powers and better match damage.

There are what 15- 20 5* chars?

Once you have a decent brigade (Over 1/3 or 5 chars), the 5* tier overall is much more fun interesting and rewarding than the 4* tier.  That should be no surprise because that the same transtion that 3* to 4* went through.

That's reassuring. With the new scaling I think the 5-star realm may get a lot of life. Maybe down the road they'll have a boost rotation as well, that really helps spice up the variety of the 4-star game. 
  • broll
    Options
    6*s announced to be coming to Contest of Champions:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67044/marvel-contest-of-champions-just-announced-6-star-characters#latest

if that comes here to we might see increased available of 5* covers in the near future with 6* being the new ethereal characters.  
  • AlluAllu
    AlluAllu Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    I currently have twelve 4*s unrostered and that's where my HP goes. As the result, I hate getting 5*s from the pulls. I wish that we'd have the ability to replace covers with lower lever ones. Should be fair to players and the devs.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Unlike a lot of the other vets, I don't have any problem with people who aren't interested in levelling up their roster for whatever reason.  It's your roster, and you're free to do whatever you like with it!

The only problem I have is the idea that people who do this should be able to win anything, ever.  Every mode in this game is a competition, and if you choose to opt out of competing, the good rewards should be off-limits to you.

Luckily the recent pve changes seem to have put an end to the one game mode where unleveled rosters can win stuff.  Enjoy your top 100 placement, guys!
    You say that like playing at the 5-star level is a choice. None of us are 'competing' for 5-star covers.
    Except this thread (titled "Refusing 5*") is specifically about people choosing to sell or not level the 5* characters that they do get.  While you may not be able to choose to move to 5*, you can certainly choose to *not* move to 5*, and that's who I'm addressing here.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Dormammu said:

Except this thread (titled "Refusing 5*") is specifically about people choosing to sell or not level the 5* characters that they do get.  While you may not be able to choose to move to 5*, you can certainly choose to *not* move to 5*, and that's who I'm addressing here.
    The OPer also states they have played for less than a year and has 'a few' 5-star covers. I'm only guessing here, but it sounds like his 'choice' isn't a choice at all.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Dormammu said:

The OPer also states they have played for less than a year and has 'a few' 5-star covers. I'm only guessing here, but it sounds like his 'choice' isn't a choice at all.
    Perhaps he should have titled the thread "5* are too hard to get" then.  As it stands, he and many other posters are saying not that 5* are too hard to get, but that they don't want them at all.
  • broll
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Dormammu said:

He also says "Any 5* cover I pick is another 2000 ISO-8."  It's not clear if he's saying from here on out or if he's been choosing to that for months.  Either way.  5*s aren't so hard to get that you only get a few in a year while regularly opening latest so either he only has a few because he only started opening latest recently or he's sold a lot, he's asking people to choose to do so now.