Refusing 5*?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
Am I the only one that refuses the 5* aspect of this game?
I still haven't played a year, and is building my 4*'s up by now with more than two handfull 4* champions as we speak.
I have come across a few 5* covers, of course, but nothing about 5* interest me. Reading daily about bad cover odds, badly balanced characters, etc. etc. I have decided that 4* is enough for me. Any 5* cover I pick is another 2000 ISO-8.
I'm also suspecting I would't be able to handle all the negative aspects of 5* game without becoming a huge spender.

Anyone with me?

Comments

• Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In a few months, having 5-stars is going to become the new normal. Same with how 4-stars replaced 3-stars as the new normal. Might as well just get in on it now if you plan to play this game in the long run.
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2017
    Options
    In a few months, having 5-stars is going to become the new normal. Same with how 4-stars replaced 3-stars as the new normal. Might as well just get in on it now if you plan to play this game in the long run.

Definition of few

consisting of or amounting to only a small number

There's no way that the current meta/norm will be 5* in just a few months. Even several months is pushing it. 

mexus said:
    Am I the only one that refuses the 5* aspect of this game?
    I still haven't played a year, and is building my 4*'s up by now with more than two handfull 4* champions as we speak.
    I have come across a few 5* covers, of course, but nothing about 5* interest me. Reading daily about bad cover odds, badly balanced characters, etc. etc. I have decided that 4* is enough for me. Any 5* cover I pick is another 2000 ISO-8.
    I'm also suspecting I would't be able to handle all the negative aspects of 5* game without becoming a huge spender.

Anyone with me?
    Personally, with the exception of a few (Phoenix, Thanos, B.Panther, Hawkeye) I end up disappointed when I open a latest/classic and see a 5*.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options

5 stars may no longer influence your PvE scaling, but their availability is still just as limited as before.

I'd dare say that without hoarding 4* pulls for several months, normal players just don't get 13 covers before a 5* disappears into the abyss of classic tokens.

• granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I keep them, but I have no interest in using them yet. I'm happy plugging away at 4*s right now. Maybe by the time that changes, 5* pull rates and PvP won't be the horror shows they are now.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm perfectly fine with all those 3-4 covers 5*s sitting and rotting away, just wasting roster space.
    not wasting any iso, though. 
  • granne
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

Basically once you adjust PVP starts at 1200.
    I just got there! Eesh.

None of my 5*s has more than 5 covers in any case.
  • granne
    Options
    Meh. I'm okay for Iso right now. I keep pulling champ levels instead of new covers, so it's just piling up.

Besides, that's what the 2* farm is for. Have you got on that yet?
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    granne said:
    Meh. I'm okay for Iso right now. I keep pulling champ levels instead of new covers, so it's just piling up.

Besides, that's what the 2* farm is for. Have you got on that yet?
    Nope. I sold my 2*s a while back, kept one champ, recycled a new 2*, sold champ, champed the other 2* and so on but it got boring so I eventually gave the project up.
    For the last 3 seasons I've had Thor as my best 2* but he's only level 70 something. I have the other ones rostered though so I don't have to play a mini game of sell / roster whenever they're essential but I'm doing well without a 2* champ. The DDQ missions are easily completed and the essential Story nodes were never even a concern.
    You're missing alot of rewards not having a 2* farm.
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Im avoiding the 5* transition but I still roster every 5* when pulled, I just dont level them up. To me, 20 EXP means more than just 2k ISO.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I intend to use the 5* tier like bonus boosted characters as they become viable.  My OML saved me a ton of health packs when he only had 6 covers. Now he's got 13 and he's at the same level he was then, but even more useful.  I've got a few reaching the point where I can softcap them and start using them in regular play.  That way I'll get some practice using them and will be proficient combining their abilities when I finally champ one and start having to face primarily 5* teams.

ATM they're just meat cushions for Thanos.  They provide better match damage than a sacrificial 3 or 2, so they expedite PvE a little bit in that regard.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have every 5* rostered, but they are all at level 255. I just started using them (mostly Thano5 and 5trange) for the easy PVE nodes, but other than that I consider them a savings account for my future roster.
    Waiting to champ all my 4*s before I put any ISO into my 5*s, but I'm not going to waste the covers by selling them for ISO. The ISO flows freely every day - a 5* cover is much harder to come by.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No way I'm avoiding the 5* tier. Many characters I like are there.

1) Its the only tier where you can use Silver Surfer and Green Goblin (and Black Bolt, but whatever with him)
    2) OML and Phoenix? Hell yes, please!
    3) A Banner/Hulk combo? Yep! Oh, its not good relative to other 5*? Who cares, he's better than 3* Hulk for sure!

Then you've got all the movie character tie-ins. Some are characters I've always liked, some not. But yea, I'm not avoiding it. I hope there's a day when I can really use those characters I mentioned and not just with a few covers against low level goons.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Availability is really the last hurdle the 5-star tier needs to overcome, Maybe when there's a 6-star tier there will be a solution.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have only sold Cap & Hulk on drawing as had no room and I cashed in my 2 yellow OML when he was nerfed. However some of the 5* have some fun power requirements. Like trying to trigger Black Bolt's BIG green nuke. Or building a team around Iron Man red. Having a Phoenix with 3 green only let me invent a fun new game: get Phoenix killed! Then try and revive to try and use Phoenix Force! First time I tried this it was actually much harder than I thought. I took her out for some early PVE matches and watched as her health got chipped away until she finally died, only then to have another character end the match before she got reborn. Or her rebirth tile gets matched away. Or I didn't get green in time before match ended. I was actually quite pleased when I finally managed to get the whole thing to work, even if the AOE did then kill off my other characters! I imagine those with Doc Ock and his stupid plan probably also can have some fun trying to get that to the end.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For a long time 5* were just something that sat on my roster, gaining the odd cover here and there (much like 4*s were for the first 18 months of playing), and I kinda never expected to get more than that, and was content to let it tick along, with the vague notion that one day 5* covers would be easier to earn.
    Then, once my 3* and 4* champs hit a critical mass of CP/LT rewards, I found that champing Thanos was a distinct possibility, so threw everything into chasing covers, and bingo got him, and then Panther afterwards.
    Since champing Thanos, getting resources has gotten easier (and easier still once Panther got champed), and I feel like I'm reaching a position where I can cover 5* as they come through Latests.
    And I'm still in the stage where they are really fun to play ( *such power!*), and I'm excited about the prospect of getting more.

My point? 4* roster can grow into a 5* roster, which fuels further growth, and I would've stunted that had I avoided 5*s.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have no interest in the 5* tier. Of course, the only one I have fully covered is the most recent Spidey, but I soft-capped him. I'm perfectly happy with my ever-expanding 4* champ roster.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I own every single 5* so far and I have several covers for pretty much all of them.

I haven't spent one single ISO on *any* of them.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I own every single 5* so far and I have several covers for pretty much all of them.

I haven't spent one single ISO on *any* of them.

See above - my best covered is Steve at 12, my worst both Ock and Spidey at 1, on average 6.9 covers per 5*, they are all at level 255.

I've 35 4* champs, I've no desire to "waste" ISO on 5*.  I like the 4* game in PVP and can clear PVE at a pace I'm happy with so no need for 5* in the foreseeable future.