Refusing 5*?

Options

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I sorta do agree that their is a separate 4* / 5* game.  and I'm actually okay with players staying  at the 4* level. (250-350 level 4*) There are 500-1000 players in every bracket and its not to our benefit to fill those brackets with 5* rosters. (once a 4* rises over 450, they are effectively 5* chars)

With that said, don't expect the rest of the player base and devs to support your tier of play.  I think most players want to see more 5* content and play developed not less.  And to a large extent we do see the devs leveling the play field for 5* rosters.

I realistically expect these trends to accelerate not slow down and reverse.

• Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I sold every 5 star until they changed pve scaling. Now I have  5 star strange on my roster. 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I ditched my 5*s because I hated the globally negative effect it had on scaling. Of course, right after I did that, SCL scaling in PVE became a thing, so it's probably not that bad now. It still makes PVP a pain because your potential pool of opponents shrinks and 95% of matches are against BP/Thanos, but if you play both or are PVE focused, it's probably manageable.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I spent most of the last year swearing I'd never go to 5* land, and never really expecting it.  At this point, I'm a couple months away.  I've gotten incredibly close (12) on a high level pairing and just saving up to get a third and I'll be in 5* land too.

Going from 2-3* opened up true PVE play and let me compete for good rewards (in those days).  Going from 3-4* let me push harder in PVE and opened up PVP as more than just a few points and cannon fodder.  Going to 5* will hopefully open up the next stages of PVP play and some more PVE/boss play.  Looking forward to it.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I collect them but have only put ISO into one of them - OML.  I use him for easy clears of simple nodes or as a fallback in PvP.

Otherwise ,I see no reason to invest ISO.  The 4* tier is big and varied enough to continue to make progress there for a long time without going to 5*.  I don't see any reason to move up until the covers become more predictable to get and I can fully level one in 10-14 days as I can with a 4* now.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have no interest in the 5* tier either... well, with the exception of Phoenix, which is a character I like. I have the other ones rostered but always feel it's a waste of space, and none a single drop of ISO was applied to them.

IMO, they were a big mistake since the "test-drive" of Silver Surfer, where he single-handed the best 4*s at the time (IMHB, Jean and I forget the third...): the match damage was too hight, his start level (255) and max-level was disproportionate to other tiers... everything about them seems wrong! I knew I would risk myself in accept it, so I decided not to.

I have so much fun with 3*s, and now, championing 4*s, that I do not feel any need for them. Actually, I feel sad every time a LT pulls purple: what a waste of a pull! I would rather pulled a 4*...
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've found is easier to cover 5*s than my 4*s.......
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I only use OML for now, but I still want the covers and I'll put ISO into them soon.

I figure at some point we'll see 5* essentials or weekly boosted 5*'s, so I'm collecting for the future.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have a bunch of 5*'s, but none are well covered (my best is a 2/2/2 Black Bolt), so I leave them all at 255 so they don't upset my PVP MMR.  Other than lightning rounds or PVE damage sinks, I really don't use them, but I keep them around just because they have some interesting mechanics and will likely prove useful someday if I stick around long enough...
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,310 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Because the odds of pulling a Latest 5 are better than any 4*.  The best odds (5%) of a specific character in the 4/5 pool. Post unvaulting, of course.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    Because the odds of pulling a Latest 5 are better than any 4*.  The best odds (5%) of a specific character in the 4/5 pool. Post unvaulting, of course.
    Don't forget bonus heroes too.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Style55 said:
    In a few months, having 5-stars is going to become the new normal. Same with how 4-stars replaced 3-stars as the new normal. Might as well just get in on it now if you plan to play this game in the long run.

Definition of few

consisting of or amounting to only a small number

There's no way that the current meta/norm will be 5* in just a few months. Even several months is pushing it. 

mexus said:
    Am I the only one that refuses the 5* aspect of this game?
    I still haven't played a year, and is building my 4*'s up by now with more than two handfull 4* champions as we speak.
    I have come across a few 5* covers, of course, but nothing about 5* interest me. Reading daily about bad cover odds, badly balanced characters, etc. etc. I have decided that 4* is enough for me. Any 5* cover I pick is another 2000 ISO-8.
    I'm also suspecting I would't be able to handle all the negative aspects of 5* game without becoming a huge spender.

Anyone with me?
    Personally, with the exception of a few (Phoenix, Thanos, B.Panther, Hawkeye) I end up disappointed when I open a latest/classic and see a 5*.
    What I'm getting at is, back when the game was released in 2013, there were people were discussing how going into the 3-star tier was pointless and the game was perfectly fine to play in the 2-star tier. By 2014 the majority of players were playing with 3-stars. In 2015, some people were saying how going into the 4-star tier was pointless because 3-star was where it was at. By 2016, 4-star rosters were common. Now in 2017, there are people resisting going into the 5-star tier and perfectly happy playing with 4-stars. Even right now, top 50 of the highest CL of PvP are dominated by 5-star roster, and by 2018 (which is just over 4 months away if that fits your definition of "a few") I'm sure it's going to be normal to see 5-star rosters.

As long as the game keeps going, the playing field is just going to keep shifting up. Personally I don't think you should overthink it and just roster the characters that you can. Eventually the devs will make 5-star cover easier and easier to earn (they are already much easier to get now than originally from the increases in CP drops) and they will become the new normal. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have eight champed 4s and have no interest in putting any iso into my 5s anytime soon.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,713 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    20 odd 4* champs and I have zero interest in the 5* game. Maybe when I get 6 or 7 at 13 covers I might get interested. I have no desire to play pvp with the same 2 or 3 toons as I did when I took my first 4*s to champ. I was so bored of fistbusting and the 4* tier is much easier to push through that period than the 5*.

I have lots of fun in the 4* tier fighting similar strength teams and although I love pve I only do my clears in my time and don't care for placement.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've got 33 4-star champs and I continue to collect 5-star covers, disposing of them would be a horrible idea just because they're so rare and we don't know what will be done with them down the road. It's just like when people were selling covers for 4-stars that were bad, if they're rare enough they're worth the roster spot since you never know what will happen. I plan on champing the remaining 4-stars and assume I'll continue to cover some 5-stars in the process and then I'll reassess where I stand but currently the 4-star game is the most fun I've had playing. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
     I'll reassess where I stand but currently the 4-star game is the most fun I've had playing. 
    The 4* tier is fun because you have the width to play all the fun combos.

The 5* tier is the exact same thing with more powers and better match damage.

There are what 15- 20 5* chars?

Once you have a decent brigade (Over 1/3 or 5 chars), the 5* tier overall is much more fun interesting and rewarding than the 4* tier.  That should be no surprise because that the same transtion that 3* to 4* went through.

• zaku
    zaku Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Personally, I'm unimpressed with 5* I feel they aren't as cool or exciting as they could be. 
    I tend to sell any 5* that I don't already have. I can have more fun with 4*

• legeng
    legeng Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have no interest in getting to the 5* tier right now. They are really hard to get and I am never going to champ the best heroes so why even bother? Most of the old 5* are tinykitty tier and the latest are not far from that.

If you started playing this game and missed the BP Thanos ship, you may as well not even bother. Champing classics? Have you seen the math in that mess? By the time I would be able to cover and champ the good ones this game will be long gone.

So unless they fundamentally change how we get 5* the 5* tier is meant for veterans (and not any veterans, just the ones that were there at the right time) and whales. I am not part of either group so I am doomed.

This means that I am going to be forever be playing at scl7 in PVE and staying the tinykitty away from 5* mmr in PVP. I may roster them if I have the HP. But leveling them? Not quite likely.