I just pulled one card from the free booster. What?

Options
124»

Comments

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There's psychology here that isn't being directly addressed. People are talking about their frustration and stuff but it's more direct and pervasive than the general examples.

When we get a good card we have a spike of happiness, but this does not last.
    If the good card is a duplicate the spike immediately drops, but not as low as not getting the card even though it's technically useless. Because our feelings are 100% logical.

If we get a boring normal duplicate we are disappointed.
    If we wake up in the middle of the night and get an extra card but it's a duplicate we are even _more_ disappointed.

Disappointment doesn't fade like happiness, it grows over time and builds and reinforces itself.

Happiness is a spell, disappointment a support.

If we have a pack of 3 (or 5) cards then 1 good or even just bad but new card _stops_ the disappointment of the other cards, we only see the new one.

When you have a lot of cards chances are that 1 card a day is new (even then that is possibly lucky!). So the new system gives customers 12 chances a day to _probably_ be disappointed.

This is _NOT_ the headspace you want your customers in, this is very bad for the games longevity.

New players have less chance of getting duplicates to start with, but they are also less invested and their disappointment is more likely to make them give up.

Stopping the customers from being disappointed is critical. The Free Cards should _encourage_ people to buy more, but if they are only getting disappointed for _free_ they tend to think that if they buy something they will also be disappointed.

You need to make excited to open cards _all_ the time.

My recommendation is to adjust things to be almost like a mini "day of the month" (that particular feature is done very well).

you need to login multiple times a day to get rewards (since you want us to do that), 4 hour breaks are better, it lines up with some of the event stuff, works with people with lunch breaks and doesn't punish people too much if they can't.

1st login: 1 card standard (like now.)
    2nd login: 5 cards standard
    3rd login: 5 cards legacy (or maybe 3 cards legacy, the old booster packs we used to get)

There still needs to be a way for people to regularly get legacy cards, there currently isn't. Most people card more about getting something new than whether they can use it everywhere. It's _less_ disappointing than just getting a dupe even though it's potentially just as useless it doesn't _feel_ the same.

The most important part, getting cards for standard, is covered by 2 logins per day, the 3rd is a bonus for the committed but less urgent, you aren't punished as much for missing it.

Because there are only 3 chances it can't be abused, it doesn't feel painful to accomplish.

For people like my kids who usually only get to login twice a day there will be one login where they can _expect_ to feel excitement at opening things, with single cards they _never_ get that anymore.

There might be other problems I haven't thought of, but this fixes all the ones I know about, including from d3go's side of wanting us to buy things rather than just getting them free.

The main thing is preventing customer disappointment is KEY to stopping them quitting _and_ to getting them to buy more cards. The current system will not be encouraging anyone to buy cards.

(Currently they are buying things, but that's the new set, NOT the new bonus system, it will drop to zero after people are mostly getting dupes again.)

• Marvaddin
    Marvaddin Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm new to this game (like 2 months), and I also feel bad about this change. Pathetic. And according to what I read in this forum, they are not going to change it back, or to anyway improve collecting experience, as devs don't care about players, even more about free players.

I will try to take notes of what I'm drawing from the new "1 card boosters". Will share in some days.

Another thing... don't I really have any place where I can get for example, Battle for Zendikar cards? Card finder tells me I can get them at "ulamog, the ceaseless hunger", at history. What's it? One prize booster? Or is there a way to really loot cards? Just got some SOI cards from event, and the finder is now saying those are impossible to loot just now. If this is true, it's another move directly agaisnt new players.

I have read about "standard" cards and its use in events, but seriously, if you can't do a half decent deck for any event, don't play it. Making cards impossible to get and as a bonus make more dupes of recent expansions, it's plain idiot. Free cards should always include all cards (maybe even a 0,0001% master piece chance).

I guess I could ask them to change it but no one would hear.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Marvaddin said:
    I'm new to this game (like 2 months), and I also feel bad about this change. Pathetic. And according to what I read in this forum, they are not going to change it back, or to anyway improve collecting experience, as devs don't care about players, even more about free players.

I will try to take notes of what I'm drawing from the new "1 card boosters". Will share in some days.

Another thing... don't I really have any place where I can get for example, Battle for Zendikar cards? Card finder tells me I can get them at "ulamog, the ceaseless hunger", at history. What's it? One prize booster? Or is there a way to really loot cards? Just got some SOI cards from event, and the finder is now saying those are impossible to loot just now. If this is true, it's another move directly agaisnt new players.

I have read about "standard" cards and its use in events, but seriously, if you can't do a half decent deck for any event, don't play it. Making cards impossible to get and as a bonus make more dupes of recent expansions, it's plain idiot. Free cards should always include all cards (maybe even a 0,0001% master piece chance).

I guess I could ask them to change it but no one would hear.

This is a divisive topic. Before the recent change to only standard cards, there was a call here for free cards to be only standard because they help new players more than legacy cards. 

It is because someone did hear this that you now get to complain about the change. 

No guarantees because things are changing rapidly in the game recently, but it used to be that older sets would become available for a few weeks, rotating in and out of the store. You could store up a few crystals and wait. 
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Are the notifications on for the boosters? Because I haven't gotten any, so that will reduce my draws right there. 
    sometime notify, sometime not...