I just pulled one card from the free booster. What?

Options

Comments

• Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You must admit though, it's pretty clever.
    So clever it's borderline deceptive.

////Merged From Similar Thread
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. This change is included in the Final Release Notes I'm currently working on posting, however since this thread was created, I'll quickly provide those details here.

The Free Daily Booster now provides only 1 card at a time, however they are now available up to 12 times in a single day. You are able to receive a Free Daily Booster once per 2 hours.

Does D3 officially encourage us to wake up every 2 hours during sleep to open free booster ?
    @losdamianos Of course not! With an average of 6-8 hours of continuous sleep, you'd still have the opportunity to collect 8 - 9 cards, with 9 cards being the same amount you would have previously.

Are the notifications on for the boosters? Because I haven't gotten any, so that will reduce my draws right there. 
    @TheDragonHermit Good question! I'll double check with the developers to make sure that the free daily booster notification is working per 2 hours.

• praam
    praam Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    it's funny. I mentioned 8 hour free boosters as a drawback and clingy on the earlier ingame survey. I thought once a day would be often enough. 12/day is a very calculated move towards player addiction really.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,231 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Steeme said:

b) Force the rest of the players to just give up entirely on the booster packs because they are a complete waste of time and effort

More work and frustration for very little reward is the exact opposite of what we should be introducing in this game.

Everything they've done for months has indicated they want us to have fewer rewards. This is simply another change that will be marketed as "look, you can get more cards!" but in reality will simply mean people get 2 or 3 a day instead of 6 or 9. 

Or, I guess in the parlance of d3, "less rewards".

• madwren
    Options
    Hey @Brigby  - Just wanted to let you know how this change affects me.  I work at a job where 12 hour shifts are common, and I'm not allowed access to my phone while I'm on the clock.  So between 12 hours at work and 8 hours sleeping, I'm looking at 2-3 cards a day if I'm vigilant in my time off.  That hurts, and opening a single card at a time really isn't satisfying at all.  

Some people would argue that if you didn't take advantage of the lower refresh time, it's because you aren't willing to put in the effort to stay on top of it--and indeed, that it's ok because you get to collect cards more often, which gives more chances to people who can't obtain cards the regular way. 

Not me, of course. I think it's ridiculous. I just wanted to post before the 4-hour refresh crew swoops in with another scintillating defense.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As if giving us x free cards for clicking a button needed a defence. 

No, really... Does it really require a defence? 

I cut my monthly donation to a charity organization last year and they asked me why. I was pretty annoyed. 

To relate to gaming culture, it's always been the case that you need to do more as a f2p player. Overlapping rewards in clash Royale practically forces you to log in every other hour as well.

This hasn't been marketed as anything. You guys are putting up strawmen to beat down in your righteous fury.  
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Reposted from elsewhere:

With the change to boosters...
    The company isn't considering it's _own_ policies.

Look at the daily login bonus through the activity hub... You are _encouraged_ to get everything, but you are not _punished_ for missing a few, you lose a little bit, but you can miss 9 most months and still get the best reward. This is far far better than most other companies with a daily login who make you start from day 1 again if you miss a single day or just miss the monthly reward completely.
    This was _reasonable_.

The free boosters didn't follow this thinking through. They _rewarded_ you for punishing yourself and skipping sleep, getting 3 packs a day was doable sometimes just painful but it shouldn't have been encouraged.
    The new system is far far worse. You can get even more cards now, but the punishment is far harder and you are _rewarded_ for hurting yourself by setting an alarm to wake up every 2 hours and do it.

My kids only get to login about twice a day, they should reasonably expect to get _most_ (but not all) of the free rewards but they can't. Kids love seeing new cards, 1 card at a time is just painful for them. But they are the future audience.

Go back to 3 card boosters. Deliberately set things up to give people time to sleep.
    Be nice, let people have 9 hours sleep!
    3 card boosters every 5 hours, completely doable, but RESTRICT it to 3 a day so noone can abuse it. That's the part that was missing with the old system and the new system makes it even worse not better.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. This change is included in the Final Release Notes I'm currently working on posting, however since this thread was created, I'll quickly provide those details here.

The Free Daily Booster now provides only 1 card at a time, however they are now available up to 12 times in a single day. You are able to receive a Free Daily Booster once per 2 hours.

Does D3 officially encourage us to wake up every 2 hours during sleep to open free booster ?
    @losdamianos Of course not! With an average of 6-8 hours of continuous sleep, you'd still have the opportunity to collect 8 - 9 cards, with 9 cards being the same amount you would have previously.

Are the notifications on for the boosters? Because I haven't gotten any, so that will reduce my draws right there. 
    @TheDragonHermit Good question! I'll double check with the developers to make sure that the free daily booster notification is working per 2 hours.

I don't think D3 believes/expects us to get 8 to 9 cards after 6 to 8 hours of sleep. The opportunity is not always there on the contrary. But coming from a representative, we should take it as an implied official stance
  • Kinesia
    Options
    The problem is that it _encourages_ poor self-health habits. Things like this were _banned_ in some countries especially in Gaming Cafes, but it just being in an app won't stop it being legislated against somewhere.

The thing is, though, it's bad form to do things that physically hurt your customer base, it makes it even more like drug dealing (which the random cards in Magic have been compared to since the beginning).

• ILikePancakes
    ILikePancakes Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Newbie, here. This smells like a move to encourage frustration buys. I've spent about 80 to 100 bucks on this game in about 2 months and the dupes are ridiculous. I'm done spending money-I dropped about 30 bucks today for the new cards--I was excited because it's a new set...and wowzers the dupes.  

I like supporting games I like to play with money, but only if it's a good buy. Make it worth buying and people will spend. Yeah, there is a balance, but it's just not there with the packs for the cost. If you want to keep the same abysmal rates, pack costs should be cut in half.
  • ILikePancakes
    ILikePancakes Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Just went and counted: 26 dupes out of 63 cards.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    As if giving us x free cards for clicking a button needed a defence. 

No, really... Does it really require a defence? 

I cut my monthly donation to a charity organization last year and they asked me why. I was pretty annoyed. 

To relate to gaming culture, it's always been the case that you need to do more as a f2p player. Overlapping rewards in clash Royale practically forces you to log in every other hour as well.

This hasn't been marketed as anything. You guys are putting up strawmen to beat down in your righteous fury.  
    I don't think any of us are saying this was marketed as anything, just that this is the latest in a long string of changes that makes f2p more annoying and less rewarding, I actually posted this originally thinking I came across a bug and wanted to see if anyone else saw it. Please refrain from accusing us of a malice that is not there just because you disagree with the points we are making.
    Yes they are well within their rights to reduce any free content, but these changes are something that seems to concern many people, it is not fair to reduce their concerns, for a game they obviously love, as petty.
  • QuiksilverHg
    QuiksilverHg Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't think anyone is disputing that the company is within their rights to do this. And I don't think anyone is arguing that the company OWES us free anything.

However the company would be wise to listen to frustration. If people don't enjoy the game they sure aren't going to pay money for it; and people leaving whether they are free to play or not is not good for the health of the game.
  • madwren
    Options
    It's rarely the changes that upset people most, it's the obfuscation and doublespeak that masks the true intentions behind them.

• Ohboy
    Options
    I don't think any of us are saying this was marketed as anything, just that this is the latest in a long string of changes that makes f2p more annoying and less rewarding, I actually posted this originally thinking I came across a bug and wanted to see if anyone else saw it. Please refrain from accusing us of a malice that is not there just because you disagree with the points we are making.

A few posts above mine, we see madwren collecting straw to build his strawman :

madwren said:

Everything they've done for months has indicated they want us to have fewer rewards. This is simply another change that will be marketed as "look, you can get more cards!" but in reality will simply mean people get 2 or 3 a day instead of 6 or 9. 

Nothing has been said about the justification of changing boosters. He's making stuff up, and it's going to stick like this kind of stuff always does. 

Before too long, people will be quoting that as truth. This happens every time. 

Whether there's malice is not the point. After so many incidents, we should know better than to go through this cycle by now. 
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ohboy said:

A few posts above mine, we see madwren collecting straw to build his strawman :

madwren said:

Nothing has been said about the justification of changing boosters. He's making stuff up, and it's going to stick like this kind of stuff always does. 

Before too long, people will be quoting that as truth. This happens every time. 

Whether there's malice is not the point. After so many incidents, we should know better than to go through this cycle by now. 
    Sorry, I did miss that, and that was an inference of intention where none was explicitly stated. My apologies. However I would say that the number of times we have had similar discussions is exactly why we should keep it up. If we do not communicate why we are displeased or pleased with the changes made we sacrifice any input we might have in a dynamic and evolving game. Having player input for a game has done wonders for other continuously evolving games, I see no reason to treat this differently. That said, it is much easier to keep a thread going with something people are angry about, my attempt to discuss the fun aspects of the game that keep people coming back did not get the same response as this did.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Noone is mentioning that they are now ONLY standard. I'm not sure whether this is completely good or bad, but noone is mentioning it.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Noone is mentioning that they are now ONLY standard. I'm not sure whether this is completely good or bad, but noone is mentioning it.

Now that you mention it, does seem that way. I know people were requesting it all be standard a while back though. 
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know whether it's a good or bad thing completely. New people (who should be the focus of free cards) need to be able to compete in standard very quickly but they need to be able to compete in wild long term.