Spider-Man vs. The Sinister Six - Run 2 (7/21/17)

Comments

• Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    What is this event even about? The enemies offered aren't even the character's that we're offered ourselves. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    What is this event even about? The enemies offered aren't even the character's that we're offered ourselves. 
    If you are referring to the boss versions having different powers than the player versions, that is the intention.  Alliance/boss events are set up so that the abilities are different, as is the play.  There is extra challenge as designed.  Which leads to more strategy sharing, joining together, etc.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,389 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just noticed that Venom also removes any invisibility tiles that you placed, when he 'leaps from shadows'. Is this intended? Noticed this when I fired IW's yellow when he was about to return from invisiblity.

If I look at the description of his power, friendly invisiblity tiles may also be counted towards his 'leap'. Which would be a bit weird.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Just want to repeat my feedback from last time.

Carnage fights are not fun especially when he is the first fight.

I have just given up on fighting him. I would rather retreat and miss out on progression rewards thanks. If I wanted to watch self gratification I can think of better material.
  • PresidentDoom2020
    PresidentDoom2020 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    I know this forum is a police state so I can't use crosser words to address the *genius* who designed this and asked for feedback the last time but I need to tell them this :smile:

what kind of nimrod do you have to be to look at Carnage and not think he doesn't need ANY sort of of limitation to his powers? I can think of several. don't let him gain AP at matches of 4 and up. don't give him extra turns on matches of 5. make his powers cost from 5 to like 7AP as a minimum. Did no one playtest this?
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know this forum is a police state so I can't use crosser words to address the *genius* who designed this and asked for feedback the last time but I need to tell them this :smile:

what kind of nimrod do you have to be to look at Carnage and not think he doesn't need ANY sort of of limitation to his powers? I can think of several. don't let him gain AP at matches of 4 and up. don't give him extra turns on matches of 5. make his powers cost from 5 to like 7AP as a minimum. Did no one playtest this?
    He's still not Boss Phoenix from the first time we dealth with Boss Rush.
  • PresidentDoom2020
    PresidentDoom2020 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    zodiac339 said:

He's still not Boss Phoenix from the first time we dealth with Boss Rush.
    oh and that's supposed to exonerate Carnage and give them a free pass for doing a bad job AGAIN?
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    I just want to note that the scaling to the unlock nodes is still stupid and these events would be vastly better if your unlock nodes didn't quickly outpace the bosses in difficulty -_-
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I am very confused why D3 would solicit for feedback on the first run of the event, but not change anything on the second run. Overall, its a great event but there are a couple small changes that could be made to make it one of the best events they have run:

1 - Nerf Carnage - I've seen lots of complaints on him, and I agree that once you hit Round 8 and have to face him first, it is nearly impossible to survive.  Some of the others could have used updates, but Carnage seemed to be the worst offender.

2 - Extend the rewards - So many individuals are hitting Max progression and alliances are completing Round 8 within 24-36 hours then getting stuck with no event for 2 days.  Simply increasing the points required for each Round and extending the progression rewards would prolong the event nicely. (Why are there progression points at 300K, 400K, and 500K, then suddenly 540K, and 580K, before going back to every 100K for 600, 700, and 800?)

3 - Make the feeder node scaling more linear. This has been a problem with every Boss event - 24 hours of ridiculously easy nodes then they immediately jump to hard mode.

Looking back I realize that I am simultaneously complaining that the event was both too hard and too easy. I expect D3 got a lot of conflicting feedback as well which may be why they decided to do nothing. That thought saddens me, because even if the responses were mixed, showing us some kind of tweak to acknowledge that they heard our feedback would have been welcome.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am very confused why D3 would solicit for feedback on the first run of the event, but not change anything on the second run. Overall, its a great event but there are a couple small changes that could be made to make it one of the best events they have run:

1 - Nerf Carnage - I've seen lots of complaints on him, and I agree that once you hit Round 8 and have to face him first, it is nearly impossible to survive.  Some of the others could have used updates, but Carnage seemed to be the worst offender.

2 - Extend the rewards - So many individuals are hitting Max progression and alliances are completing Round 8 within 24-36 hours then getting stuck with no event for 2 days.  Simply increasing the points required for each Round and extending the progression rewards would prolong the event nicely. (Why are there progression points at 300K, 400K, and 500K, then suddenly 540K, and 580K, before going back to every 100K for 600, 700, and 800?)

3 - Make the feeder node scaling more linear. This has been a problem with every Boss event - 24 hours of ridiculously easy nodes then they immediately jump to hard mode.

Looking back I realize that I am simultaneously complaining that the event was both too hard and too easy. I expect D3 got a lot of conflicting feedback as well which may be why they decided to do nothing. That thought saddens me, because even if the responses were mixed, showing us some kind of tweak to acknowledge that they heard our feedback would have been welcome.
    I agree with your first and third points, but a better option for number 2 would be to simply start the next event a day earlier so there is a bit of an overlap, this will have negative impact on almost nobody as the better guilds will have finished the event after about a day and lower level guilds will have hit a scaling brick wall by the time it got to day 3 anyway so no issue there either.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor

I would be completely happy if they just kept the feeder nodes easy throughout the entire event. Too often in Boss Events I find myself needing to use my "boss battle" characters to beat these nodes, losing, being out of health packs, and then unable to try again, much less face the boss again. The purpose of Boss events is to fight Bosses, not get stuck on the side nodes.

I also am confused why they ran it back so quickly without changes. I didn't like the rewards so slogging thru it to help my alliance, for rewards I'm not excited about, made it pretty tough.

All in all, a good event though.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
     Personally, I'm not terribly surprised that we aren't seeing any changes for the second run. When they made the initial announcement and I saw they were spaced only a few weeks apart, I figured the only way we would see major changes for the second run would be if it was absolutely broken the first run. 

General consensus seemed to be that it was a fun event, maybe a little too easy in some aspects, too hard in others (yes, Carnage and Sandman, we mean you).

My feedback was similar to most: add to Carnage's AP requirements a bit and add more rewards or add to the ones already there (like a 0 to all ISO totals, for starters). While we didn't see any immediate changes, I'm hopeful that this event enters the boss event rotation and we'll see changes then. 
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    Beer40 said:

I would be completely happy if they just kept the feeder nodes easy throughout the entire event. Too often in Boss Events I find myself needing to use my "boss battle" characters to beat these nodes, losing, being out of health packs, and then unable to try again, much less face the boss again. The purpose of Boss events is to fight Bosses, not get stuck on the side nodes.

I also am confused why they ran it back so quickly without changes. I didn't like the rewards so slogging thru it to help my alliance, for rewards I'm not excited about, made it pretty tough.

All in all, a good event though.
    the best part is when the first started these alliance events they called the unlock nodes trivial nodes that you will do to unlock the boss again only to have them scale up far harder than the boss since the beginning :/

I mean it's not like it's hard for me to do them with my roster, I have more than enough options to do them without using my boss team, it's just time consuming and not fun.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    There sure are a lot of side nodes requiring Hulk: we've got ones specifically requiring 3* Hulk as one of the event's featured characters, and others that will take any Hulk variant.  It feels like the other half of the matches feature Spider-Men.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,001 Chairperson of the Boards
    I loved this event both times it ran.  Just challenging enough that it doesn't seem like an automatic win while still being reasonable even at round 8.  
  • ADChaos
    ADChaos Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2017
    Starting on Carnage for round 8 was awful. Other than that the only problems from my POV were the personal progression rewards and not having any PVE to play once my alliance has finished it. Since the boss events are in place of a PVE the rewards should be in line with what you'd get from a 3 day PVE.
    Ordinarily I would agree about the scaling of the side nodes , but in this event we completed quickly enough that the side nodes didn't have chance to get tougher than the bosses. That will obviously come down to the strength of your roster and your alliance, though.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Playing Carnage as first boss.  Aaarrrggh.  I think I do get a turn.  Maybe?  Or am I just supposed to retreat?  If I get the chance to do that.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Last run in Round 8, I was using IM40, GSBW and Clagger, since they were boosted. This time I'm subbing in Vulture for Clagger. If you have 10 blue AP and send him airborne using his black against Doc Ock, he'll target and take out the reactor and tentacle tiles. 

I don't know if he prioritizes the reactor tile, but every time I've fired it so far, he's always taken it out, even if all the special tiles are on the board. That could just be coincidence though. My Vulture is at three blue covers, so only destroys up to three tiles, so maybe I'll have a run where he'll only take out tentacle tiles. 

He takes out Venom's invisibility tiles the same way, although that was to be expected. 
  • Silverblade
    Silverblade Posts: 51 Match Maker
    This time around I quit on the round you face Carnage first. He's horribly frustrating, and slow and the matches become a plod.
    Sometimes You can even lose on the first round after a single match of yours, he snatches a 5 red, and then shuffles the board and then there's cascade hell.
    I got the last of the individual rewards and quit the event, it's not worth the effort and it's 0 fun.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    This time around I quit on the round you face Carnage first. He's horribly frustrating, and slow and the matches become a plod.
    Sometimes You can even lose on the first round after a single match of yours, he snatches a 5 red, and then shuffles the board and then there's cascade hell.
    I got the last of the individual rewards and quit the event, it's not worth the effort and it's 0 fun.
    Once we finished round 8 and I got all the rewards from bosses, I just threw out 1* placeholders on the boseses. 500 ISO from sub-missions is still 500 ISO, so killing off level 1 characters to get the sub-missions unlocked is worth.
    And yeah, Carnage is a pain. The only pain in round 8, since by the time I get to Sandman, the board is littered with webs, and I can drop an instant death Surprise on him.