What is the true value of vaulted characters?

Comments

• n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Beer40 said:
    n25philly said:
    It annoys me too! I have had to stop drawing LTs because I pretty much have all the latest 12 fully covered now. I'm going to have to hoard now for a few months so a few of them can drop out of packs. I never had this problem prior to vaulting, I could draw when I wanted and would only occasionally get dupes. Opening tokens was a big part of the enjoyment of this game, and thats now been taken away for at least a few months. 
    Haven't been able to open an elite, heroic or legendary since vaulting was implemented.  I guess we are supposed to see the number of unusable tokens piling up as fun?  It's beyond annoying but my words would probably just get me banned.
    Much respect for your resolve to be able to do that. I am curious what your numbers currently are after that much hording.
    Not much since this game has become such a miserable experience due to vaulting.  Most days I just do the ddq, and sometimes pve if it's not a new release since I don't need more unusable tokens.  Right now I have 204 elites, 63 heroics, 36 legendaries and 828 CP

The problem is that I only have 940 HP and 1.3 mil iso with 7 of the FU 12 not in my roster.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    n25philly said:
    It annoys me too! I have had to stop drawing LTs because I pretty much have all the latest 12 fully covered now. I'm going to have to hoard now for a few months so a few of them can drop out of packs. I never had this problem prior to vaulting, I could draw when I wanted and would only occasionally get dupes. Opening tokens was a big part of the enjoyment of this game, and thats now been taken away for at least a few months. 
    Haven't been able to open an elite, heroic or legendary since vaulting was implemented.  I guess we are supposed to see the number of unusable tokens piling up as fun?  It's beyond annoying but my words would probably just get me banned.
    Seeing as how you haven't opened anything since vaulting was implemented, i always question your opinion on it.  Obviously, you have a preconceived notion against it.

You have hundreds of elites and a bunch of heroics that you have not opened, yet claim are "unusable."  Why?  If you need hp to for roster slots, champ rewards from all those 2* will give you that. 

You know what else will get you hp?  Playing the game.  You also said you barely play anymore.  How do you expect to get better rewards and better characters if you refuse to play the game and refuse to open the rewards?

I am all for discussing the pros and cons of vaulting, but it's hard to take your negative opinion seriously.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    DarthDeVo said:
    n25philly said:
    Beer40 said:
    n25philly said:
    Much respect for your resolve to be able to do that. I am curious what your numbers currently are after that much hording.
    Not much since this game has become such a miserable experience due to vaulting.  Most days I just do the ddq, and sometimes pve if it's not a new release since I don't need more unusable tokens.  Right now I have 204 elites, 63 heroics, 36 legendaries and 828 CP

The problem is that I only have 940 HP and 1.3 mil iso with 7 of the FU 12 not in my roster.
    I just want to make sure I'm understanding your situation correctly. You're not opening any tokens because you don't have the HP to roster any new characters you may pull from those tokens. The lack of HP is the bottleneck? 

But you also are mostly only playing DDQ and the occasional PvE event?

How long have you been playing, i.e. what day are you? For instance, I'm Day 433. For the better part of my first year playing, I constantly felt like I was playing catch up in the HP department. I couldn't fathom how people had enough HP for even shielding in PvP, let alone enough to buy out vaults like the one we just had during the Sinister Six event. 

But once you turn a corner, the HP really starts piling up. However, it requires you to play pretty hard each day, going for decent placement in PvE at the very least. If you're only doing DDQ most days and little else, you won't get the resources you need to stay ahead of the curve.

Also, a lot of HP comes from champ rewards, especially if you're farming 2*s, but from 3*s as well. And you can't get those champ rewards if you aren't opening tokens. 

Of course, now getting enough ISO to keep my 4*s leveled/champed is my bottleneck. I'll hopefully get caught up in the coming months, as I plan to hoard LTs and CP until 5tar-Lord and Ock are out of Latest. I'll still see some progression on my characters due to placement/progression rewards from PvE and PvP, but hopefully I'll be able to outpace that enough to be able to also level some of my other, older characters. 

Now, this isn't me defending vaulting. Far from it. I think they definitely still need to come up with a more acceptable solution to allow us to more equally cover vaulted characters. But for now, this is how the system works, and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to maximize my progress under the current conditions. And the only way I can keep on top of my resource demands is to play as much as I can, typically aiming for T10 in PvE and at least 575 in PvP.
    Day 540 here with the same problem and no end in sight to that problem. However, I only shoot for T100 in PVE and at least 575 in PVP. So yours might resolve faster, hopefully. Good luck!
  • n25philly
    n25philly said:
    Seeing as how you haven't opened anything since vaulting was implemented, i always question your opinion on it.  Obviously, you have a preconceived notion against it.

You have hundreds of elites and a bunch of heroics that you have not opened, yet claim are "unusable."  Why?  If you need hp to for roster slots, champ rewards from all those 2* will give you that. 

You know what else will get you hp?  Playing the game.  You also said you barely play anymore.  How do you expect to get better rewards and better characters if you refuse to play the game and refuse to open the rewards?

I am all for discussing the pros and cons of vaulting, but it's hard to take your negative opinion seriously.
    lol, I love though unless I open everything and throw away a lot of stuff that I can't afford to throw away my opinion is useless?  That seems sillier.  I am a casual player.  Vaulting is bad for casual players.  I don't want to have to throw away resources.  I also don't want to be stuck only playing as a small handful of characters.  Even if I did open everything up, then what?  I maybe get to champ 1-3 characters?  Great, now I get to go back to hording yet I'm stuck playing those 2-3 characters for everything.  Probably the only thing worse than the current hording hell.

It's a horrible system all around.  Why does how much I play matter to you?  The new system will suck no matter what, so it doesn't matter.  If things don't change it will likely be years before I would be in good shape to open anything and even then since it's just the last 12 getting shoved down our throats I still get stuck with a limited usable roster and a good number of characters I really want likely to for forever unusable.  So much fun!  So I wait and wait for the fix they have promised over and over again...
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    n25philly said:

Devil's advocate, but if you are still missing 4*s, then its likely you don't have a 2* farm yet. I remember a time where I had only had 3 champed 2*s for DDQ, 1 1* for DDQ, all 3*s and whatever 4*s I got. Then I worked my way to opening up roster spots, getting a 2* farm and having most of the latest champed.

Thats the only reason why I think someone would hoard elite tokens. But even if that were the case, the main solution would be to play the game, get the 2* farm going, open those elite and heroics, and catch up with roster spots. But I agree with all those tokens and all that iso there should be a way out of the rut he's in, especially if it is self imposed as as it seems
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    n25philly said:
    n25philly said:

lol, I love though unless I open everything and throw away a lot of stuff that I can't afford to throw away my opinion is useless?  That seems sillier.  I am a casual player.  Vaulting is bad for casual players.  I don't want to have to throw away resources.  I also don't want to be stuck only playing as a small handful of characters.  Even if I did open everything up, then what?  I maybe get to champ 1-3 characters?  Great, now I get to go back to hording yet I'm stuck playing those 2-3 characters for everything.  Probably the only thing worse than the current hording hell.

It's a horrible system all around.  Why does how much I play matter to you?  The new system will suck no matter what, so it doesn't matter.  If things don't change it will likely be years before I would be in good shape to open anything and even then since it's just the last 12 getting shoved down our throats I still get stuck with a limited usable roster and a good number of characters I really want likely to for forever unusable.  So much fun!  So I wait and wait for the fix they have promised over and over again...
    As that person said, you've obviously made your mind up. Honestly, given that you've literally used over a hundred posts complaining about it since the system went into place, and it isn't going anywhere, I'm startled that you play at all. 

(And if you think 12 characters makes it impossible to keep up on roster slots, now imagine there's 50 characters to roster and try to cover all at the same time. The horror!)
  • n25philly
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    n25philly said:

As that person said, you've obviously made your mind up. Honestly, given that you've literally used over a hundred posts complaining about it since the system went into place, and it isn't going anywhere, I'm startled that you play at all. 

(And if you think 12 characters makes it impossible to keep up on roster slots, now imagine there's 50 characters to roster and try to cover all at the same time. The horror!)
    Uh, in the old system you didn't have a limited time to cover/level them so your point on the end is pure ****.  With the old system of if they would give us a way to pull the old stuff it would be an issue because people could play the game the way they want, and actually enjoy it again. THE HORROR!
  • Spudgutter
    Straycat said:
    n25philly said:

Devil's advocate, but if you are still missing 4*s, then its likely you don't have a 2* farm yet. I remember a time where I had only had 3 champed 2*s for DDQ, 1 1* for DDQ, all 3*s and whatever 4*s I got. Then I worked my way to opening up roster spots, getting a 2* farm and having most of the latest champed.

Thats the only reason why I think someone would hoard elite tokens. But even if that were the case, the main solution would be to play the game, get the 2* farm going, open those elite and heroics, and catch up with roster spots. But I agree with all those tokens and all that iso there should be a way out of the rut he's in, especially if it is self imposed as as it seems
    Maybe, but unlikely the issue.  If they don't have a farm yet, than 4* pulls should be the last thing to worry about.  Crawl, walk then run.  We have all sold covers that we wished we didnt have to, that's an almost universal constant.  

My 14 yr old started playing recently, is just past 100 or so days, and opens everything even though i try to get him to hoard a little bit.  He has several 4* from the 12 with 3-4 covers and no champed 3*, and maybe 4-5 champed 2*.  He loves the game.  He accepts the same thing i accepted when i was playing at 100 days(seems like forever ago), sometimes you will have to make a decision on who to keep and who to sell.  

I won't argue with that person, i am not changing their mind.  As mcg pointed out, they are very critical of vaulting at every turn.  I'm not whatshisname that argued pro vaulting at every turn, but i recognize the pros and cons, both on paper and with practical application. 
  • NewMcG
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    n25philly said:

Uh, in the old system you didn't have a limited time to cover/level them so your point on the end is pure tinykitty.  With the old system of if they would give us a way to pull the old stuff it would be an issue because people could play the game the way they want, and actually enjoy it again. THE HORROR!
    And yet you'd still not have enough HP to slot a single character right now, and have 30+ more of them to have to pay HP to roster... 
  • n25philly
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    n25philly said:

Uh, in the old system you didn't have a limited time to cover/level them so your point on the end is pure tinykitty.  With the old system of if they would give us a way to pull the old stuff it would be an issue because people could play the game the way they want, and actually enjoy it again. THE HORROR!
    And yet you'd still not have enough HP to slot a single character right now, and have 30+ more of them to have to pay HP to roster... 
    Talk about not getting it.  In the old system I let the legenday tokens/CP sit.  When I get to 1000 hp, if I don't have any covers sitting waiting to be rostered, I would pull until I got someone to take that new roster spot and stop.  It's slow but it worked.  No pressure to rush anything because you can always get more covers.  New system if you can't cover/level the latest 12 there is no point in pulling anything.

If I pull a 4* there is a 70% chance I can't roster it.  So I pull I am most likely wasting over 70% when you factor in 5*'s.  What the point of pulling?

When the characters you want aren't part of the 12, what is the point of pulling?

Almost all of my 4* covers come from tokens.  It makes it near impossible to get the characters I want and to build evenly.  I don't want to be stuck playing with a small handful of covers.

This is why the current system sucks.  Progression is dead unless you want to play a very specific way.  Maybe if you want to shoot for top of pvp or something like that it's fine, but what about those of us who could care less?  Why are casual players being punished and treated like garbage?

I am not actually against the vaulting really.  I see the value of being able to pull from the small pool.  I just don't see why everyone has to be forced into it.  It doesn't work for everyone.  Why can't those of us who this absolutely ruins the game for have options?
  • NewMcG
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    n25philly said:

Talk about not getting it.  In the old system I let the legenday tokens/CP sit.  When I get to 1000 hp, if I don't have any covers sitting waiting to be rostered, I would pull until I got someone to take that new roster spot and stop.  It's slow but it worked.  No pressure to rush anything because you can always get more covers.  New system if you can't cover/level the latest 12 there is no point in pulling anything.
    So... this is the exact same thing you can do now, except for a pool of 12 instead of 50? 
  • n25philly
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    n25philly said:

So... this is the exact same thing you can do now, except for a pool of 12 instead of 50? 
    And when they rotate out and I can't get covers for them anymore?
  • NewMcG
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    Well, it isn't changing, so I guess figure out a way to accept it and move forward?
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    n25philly said:

Interesting take. I never thought about Vaulting and the casual player before. They'll never cover anyone now. But the makers of the game had to know that so I guess they decided it was acceptable.
  • n25philly
    Beer40 said:
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    n25philly said:

Interesting take. I never thought about Vaulting and the casual player before. They'll never cover anyone now. But the makers of the game had to know that so I guess they decided it was acceptable.
    It's what people don't seem to get.  It's easy to say to just open the tokens, or stop complaining and just do it the new way.  What about those of us that simply just can't keep up?  Not everyone can turn a game into a second job, and something is very wrong when a casual game no longer supports casual players.
  • NewMcG
    Beer40 said:
    It's now way more realistic for a casual player to cover someone in the new system. A "casual" player starting now would be drawing LTs with a 1/51 chance of a specific character under the old system. In another month it'll be a 1/52 chance, a few weeks later, 1/53. And so on, and so on. Right now it's about 650 covers to finish all the 4*s. Add 13 to that total every three weeks or so.

Without dialing that back in some way, like limiting the character pool, the idea of actually covering any given 4* via tokens for a new player would be insanely daunting. Got a 5/5/0 4* in the old system? Good luck with your 0.55% chance of drawing that specific colored cover you need to even have the opportunity to buy the other two. (Until the next character would go in, and that drops to 0.54%) Currently, a 5/5/0 from the token 12 would have a 2.3% chance of drawing that specific cover. Not great, but I'll take ~1/40 over ~1/200 any day.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's part of the problem with mobile app games, it hooks you with the perception of being a casual game, but the reality is that if you want to make any type of legitimate progress, the reality is that this isn't a casual game unless you decide to buy your progress. 
  • Spudgutter
    edited July 2017
    Beer40 said:
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    New McG said:
    n25philly said:
    n25philly said:

It's a horrible system all around.  Why does how much I play matter to you?  The new system will suck no matter what, so it doesn't matter.  If things don't change it will likely be years before I would be in good shape to open anything and even then since it's just the last 12 getting shoved down our throats I still get stuc44k with a limited usable roster and a good number of characters I really want likely to for forever unusable.  So much fun!  So I wait and wait for the fix they have promised over and over again...

(Fyi, i am not calling shenanigans on you, but the person you are replying to)

I call shenanigans. My kid is just past 100 days, and has 29 covers for 14 different 4*, not counting a couple he got rid of (I'm looking at you, sandman).  He actually just pulled a green rulk cover from the ddq vault that he cannot roster yet.  Now, obviously he cannot play optimally because he rarely has the essentials, let alone all 3.  So i bet he meets a pretty decent definition of casual.  But he plays what he can and it isnt a job.  He just plays, and opens tokens and uses what he is given.  He doesn't come to the forum and trash talk vaulting because he is happy to get what he gets.   Is he lucky? Maybe.  But because of vaulting he has 4 covers for medusa and 4 for blade, so he is able to do pretty good, without a 2* farm.  I would argue that is better for the longevity of the game.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    This was a casual game, until vaulting came in, though. You could play as casually as you liked and still earn all the characters. Now we have vaulting, you only have the time until the leave packs, and then they are gone forever. Its an utterly ridiculous system. 

Other than the hardcore players, everyone else will just end up with a whole load of under covered characters and no way to realistically finish them.