Which characters have given you an unexpected whuppin' ?

Comments

• JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I've been pushed to the ropes by Vision a couple of times. I saw him on the team and figured that since he has two abilities the AI can't play effectively and his one direct damaging ability doesn't actually do much damage, I could ignore him until his teammates were dead. Then he put his blue out and didn't immediately remove it with a yellow, and every match hurt, while every cascade was life-threatening.
    Characters who I've learned (the hard way) not to leave as the last man standing: Gamora, Patch, Professor X, 4* Punisher.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been pushed to the ropes by Vision a couple of times. I saw him on the team and figured that since he has two abilities the AI can't play effectively and his one direct damaging ability doesn't actually do much damage, I could ignore him until his teammates were dead. Then he put his blue out and didn't immediately remove it with a yellow, and every match hurt, while every cascade was life-threatening.
    Characters who I've learned (the hard way) not to leave as the last man standing: Gamora, Patch, Professor X, 4* Punisher.
    Professor X is almost always my first priority. Can't risk the AI getting unholy cascades and getting hurt by Big Head Mode, the invisibility tile setting up where it can't be matched/cleared away, or letting him add and buff special tiles. 
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    c4ge surprised me pretty good in his last boost week.  I didn't have him champed yet so I hadn't played with him at all.  Messed around with the fiddle faddle and got knocked out.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,697 Chairperson of the Boards
    I respect the beast that is C4rol, but she's also a fun target when she's the other team's strongest character. I just load my own C4rol team and watch her grab up black and kill her own team. 

Today, I had a PvP where on three consecutive turns the cascade dropped black matches on my own team. So while deliberately avoiding black matches, I caught three and did 9k damage to my entire team PLUS gave the enemy free AP in their strongest color. 

Needless to say, I lost. 
  • Borstock
    Did the same thing again in PvP. This time, it was FIVE turns in a row where the cascade gave me the match that let C4rol hit me. 15k damage to my whole team. I'm starting to suspect my strategy is flawed. XD hahahahaha
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I didn't really think much of 4Blade for quite awhile. Mine was poorly covered and I'd been feasting on other poorly covered 4Blades in PvP and didn't understand what he did or how good he was. Then I faced a properly covered and champed one and had my Gob Bluth moment.
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    So used to avoiding the same opponents, I did not respect the upside and nonchalantly went into a PVP against a team with Kate Bishop.  I've never played her and had it my head she wasn't very good in-game.

Needless to say I learned differently.  Can't remember what the rest of the team was, but Kate did work.  Much more careful of her now.
  • Borstock
    snlf25 said:
    I didn't really think much of 4Blade for quite awhile. Mine was poorly covered and I'd been feasting on other poorly covered 4Blades in PvP and didn't understand what he did or how good he was. Then I faced a properly covered and champed one and had my Gob Bluth moment.
    With red on the board, Bl4de can get very nasty.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Seeing opponents Hulkbuster with 60k health recently and mine at a paltry 40k, made me weary. 
  • ChattyWhacker
    ChattyWhacker Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    The grandest whoopin' I can remember is when certain characters were combo'd that I didn't think much of, even considered to be a pushovers, but ended up being slaughtered from their useful combination.  When Howard The Duck came out, there was a dedicated PVP featuring him.  One team had him with 3* Magneto and I was doing well against other team ups.  However, with magneto getting rid of all the team up tiles and Howard the Duck taking away the green tiles, Magneto had full red and blue tiles to swap around.  Was completely obliterated with that combination.  The other combo that was a downhill battle almost immediately was a combo of 3* Hulk and 4* Mrs. Marvel.  Since it was the PVP event for 3* Hulk, the strongest color of my team and theirs was green.  After even on innocent match of green is outta my control from the incoming falling tiles, Carol Danver's hits the entire team, Hulk makes more green come onto the board, and the process repeats until the Hulk and everyone else is down or Hulk dies first and the rest of my team is in tatters.  Still, that combo is situational, just needs hulk, strongest color green, and their team also has green.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    That last PVP I got demolished by Beast on several occasions. I had saved him for last, but he fired Animal Inside and just kept getting crazy green cascades to rinse & repeat. Before I knew it he dropped my entire team by himself, which consisted of 2-boosted 4s and base lv 205 Beast. 
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    JHawkInc said:
    Nobody bats an eye at Mr Fantastic, but you best pay attention if you see him running alongside Medusa and Carnage.
    Actually Team Mr Fantastic up with 4* Deadpool and 4* Wolverine and it is explosive.  Blue is the one color those two need and Mr. Fantastic uses it to force matches and stun opponents, plus he heals two characters who both have true healing.  That team is one of my favorites.
  • ValekBoss
    ValekBoss Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    MaskedMan said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Nobody bats an eye at Mr Fantastic, but you best pay attention if you see him running alongside Medusa and Carnage.
    Actually Team Mr Fantastic up with 4* Deadpool and 4* Wolverine and it is explosive.  Blue is the one color those two need and Mr. Fantastic uses it to force matches and stun opponents, plus he heals two characters who both have true healing.  That team is one of my favorites.
    Does the Mr.Fantastic heals count as true healing for XFDP and XFW?
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    No they aren't true heals but they serve as a buffer to keep them up until they can fire their true heals.  It is very hard to take them out when someone is healing those too, especially if one of them is buffed.
  • Saydie
    Saydie Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Anytime Doom gets paired with goons that help feed him black really quick?  Summon Demons just a couple turns in is very frustrating...

But overall I'll throw another vote towards Loki, and also The Hood.  Loki for obvious reasons of match 4, but also his cheap purple can get really annoying.  Hood because of the constant, low key mana siphon.  Can easily struggle to get enough AP for using a skill because he just chips away at yours then you get smacked with a heavy twin pistols...and his intimidation sets off multiple goon tiles early when I thought I had more time to deal with them.  /headdesk 

At least they both have low health...Monotone, on the other hand...her black can really hurt depending on what tile makers I'm using and what she steals.
  • Saydie
    Saydie Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Err...was supposed to be Moonstone.../sheepish
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Monotone lol- welcome to the forum :)
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went against boosted Captain Marvel 4*. And of course, she's very tough. But the Team Up was Blade3's black. So every turn, the purple shields from spidey got more and more powerful, and the blade black attack drained my yellow until spidey3 was able to smack me but good. It was definitely a miscalculation on my part to attack them! Plus the third was Thanos. All and all a tough combo to start out with, but even worse when they all played together so nicely!
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 said:
    I went against boosted Captain Marvel 4*. And of course, she's very tough. But the Team Up was Blade3's black. So every turn, the purple shields from spidey got more and more powerful, and the blade black attack drained my yellow until spidey3 was able to smack me but good. It was definitely a miscalculation on my part to attack them! Plus the third was Thanos. All and all a tough combo to start out with, but even worse when they all played together so nicely!
    Nightstalker Team-ups are amazing with C4rol. So strong.