Which characters have given you an unexpected whuppin' ?

Options
PuceMoose
PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
Everybody knows to be at least a little afraid of Peggy or Iceman, but when has a character you've labeled a non-threat or at least low-priority come around to deliver a savage blow to your team when least expected?

I just got wrecked in the Heavy Metal PvP by Mystique. I'd always sort of ignored her and saved her for last, but she managed to land an infiltration that sent the board into a serious explosive cascade-a-thon, and before I knew what had happened I'd eaten two back to back Shapeshift-> Masterstroke. The other team's Ironman had been sneakily gathering red while I was reeling, and knocked out my remaining character with a Unibeam. 

I have learned to *not* underestimate Agent Venom. Mine is not well covered (an odd 1/2/5), so I will admit to not knowing how to play him (or against him) well. The AI got a ridiculous cascade, and every other turn Agent Venom was launching some sort of crazy animation (especially the one that looks like a happy pup leaping into the air with his paws waggling, tongue flapping, eager to see his master has come back home, maybe with some Pup-Peroni™), and the board was blowing up left and right. My team took a canvas nap before I knew what hit me.

Comments

• iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Not so much that I lost to Wasp + 3* Blade & 3* Falcon in Shield Sim but that they completely wrecked my C4rol, Daken & Human Torch, which I have had a lot of success with.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,628 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For me, it's usually just the board. For example, I know Bl4de can be dangerous, but I'm consistently surprised anyway by how quickly he can just annihilate you when there's a red heavy board.

I also routinely beat up on Switch teams now that I'm firmly in 4* land, but every once in a while she collects so much purple that she stuns my whole team and I'm shocked for some reason. 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Black Panther 5*. Everyone knows not to stun him and his active countdown extra damage is expected. Hwoever, many times have I just simply ignored him only to get a massiv hit from his yellow match passive! Keep an eye on their team up ap!
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Loki. Always Loki for me.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nobody bats an eye at Mr Fantastic, but you best pay attention if you see him running alongside Medusa and Carnage.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I learned to respect Riri the hard way. Got slammed by her red a couple of times. There was also one time when I wasn't paying enough attention, just sort of cruising on autopilot, and made the mistake of bringing Bl4de on my team against her. Her blue is absolutely brutal if make the mistake of giving it what it needs.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Squirrel Girl.  I remember going into a match with a couple of special tile producers and getting roundly stomped by her purple.  
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,377 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    [..]Mystique. I'd always sort of ignored her and saved her for last, but she managed to land an infiltration that sent the board into a serious explosive cascade-a-thon, and before I knew what had happened I'd eaten two back to back Shapeshift-> Masterstroke. The other team's Ironman had been sneakily gathering red while I was reeling, and knocked out my remaining character with a Unibeam. 
    She can be very dangerous indeed, and her Masterstroke hits HARD when shapeshifted. I usually prioritize targeting her.

My own candidate: Elektra. This is way back, even before her rework. I had returned to MPQ after a hiatus, and didn't know her powers well. She was last the last woman standing in a match, and I thought it would be a piece of cake to finish her off. But suddenly, all powers I unleashed on her didn't do damage any more and I was getting hurt instead, causing me to lose the match. I genuinely thought I was hit by some kind of bug, until I learned about Shadow step :mrgreen:

• Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Riri. Some time last season (iirc), I went up against her and whatever other randoms were involved. She single-handedly wiped my entire team. Granted, she was buffed, but I certainly didn't expect her to be the one to destroy me.

That alone helped me bite the bullet and champ her myself.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Falcap, while you're taking out the rest of the team, he has been boosting tiles and dropping shields. Finally when it's time to focus on him, he Dive Bombs you to death. Now you wish you were collecting red tiles along the way. 
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DeNappa said:
    [..]Mystique. I'd always sort of ignored her and saved her for last, but she managed to land an infiltration that sent the board into a serious explosive cascade-a-thon, and before I knew what had happened I'd eaten two back to back Shapeshift-> Masterstroke. The other team's Ironman had been sneakily gathering red while I was reeling, and knocked out my remaining character with a Unibeam. 
    She can be very dangerous indeed, and her Masterstroke hits HARD when shapeshifted. I usually prioritize targeting her.

My own candidate: Elektra. This is way back, even before her rework. I had returned to MPQ after a hiatus, and didn't know her powers well. She was last the last woman standing in a match, and I thought it would be a piece of cake to finish her off. But suddenly, all powers I unleashed on her didn't do damage any more and I was getting hurt instead, causing me to lose the match. I genuinely thought I was hit by some kind of bug, until I learned about Shadow step :mrgreen:

This is almost exactly what I was going to post. Very few things more infuriating to try and beat than Elektra alone with a black-heavy board.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5tarlord. One match I blithely entered without paying too much attention he got a minicascade that lead to him firing all his powers multiple times cascading more ap for himself. It felt like he was turning tiles green then shooting up the board every other turn! 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not that it's ever unexpected, but in the last PvP I ran across a team with Prof X. In its first move, the AI had 3 match-5s airdropped by RNGesus.

What felt like 2 minutes later, after all the giant-head animations, extra-turn banners and whatever else happened, it was my turn again. The AI had over 50 ap gathered and I had taken ~15k damage.

Suffice it to say, I didn't bother with that match anymore.

To add insult to injury, when I got back to the menu, I was informed that I lost another 50 points from 2 incoming hits in the same time period. :rage:
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Nobody bats an eye at Mr Fantastic, but you best pay attention if you see him running alongside Medusa and Carnage.
    Yeah, but you better pay that attention to Medusa first and foremost, since she actually works on both turns.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got an unexpected shellacking in Heavy Metal last night - Battery Man (roughly level 235 pre-boost), champ Bl4de at level 274, and boosted Nick Fury (who's about level 276 or 277 before boosts) got wiped by a team of Battery Man, HoboFist, and Fury. My Fury and Blade both went down; his Hobo was the last one up (because I needed to avoid eating a Unibeam), and my Battery Man was around 1/3 health.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    boosted 4* iron fist took a pretty good chunk out of me last pvp.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I guess it was two or three weeks ago that I had champed Spider Woman so I threw her into a pve mission to test her out. 2* Bullseye took her down to like 1,000 health after he got an insane cascade with tons of criticals. Two. Star. Bullseye. I made her pay me back for the iso I had just poured into her.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Today I got crushed by a Peggy/JG team.  I was near full health and 1 turn away from using my own Peggy's blue, when I got an accidental match 5 to stun myself, then the opposing Peggy got her blue, killed off my OML, and I literally lost 100k health before I got another turn thanks to Peggy's blue and a couple JG AoE's.