Which characters have given you an unexpected whuppin' ?

Options

Comments

• fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Man, the first time I fought boosted Medusa...

It was right after she'd come out, and she was kinda being panned at the time because she was okay support, but not great on most teams. Someone had managed to champ her though, and I decided to give the fight a try.

It was just bad. 1,500 damage every turn at the start. Then she matched her own countdown, and it was 3,000 damage each turn. And then she matched one of her attack tiles and healed her party of all the damage I'd done in those first three rounds.

I might have been able to win, but I gave up then, realizing how much damage I would take in the process.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pants1000 said:
    Today I got crushed by a Peggy/JG team.  I was near full health and 1 turn away from using my own Peggy's blue, when I got an accidental match 5 to stun myself, then the opposing Peggy got her blue, killed off my OML, and I literally lost 100k health before I got another turn thanks to Peggy's blue and a couple JG AoE's.
    not to be a jerk, but peggy and jean are top tier 4*. you should expect to be whooped going up against either one and especially both.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hobofist.  When I champed him, I maxed out blue and green because I was deliberately complementing C4ge (whom I champed soon thereafter).  I didn't pay black much mind until this week when an opponent's boosted fist dealt me 20k damage.  I had no idea where it came from until I went back and looked at the skills and realized how much raw damage it gains from those last two covers.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Calnexin said:
    Hobofist.  When I champed him, I maxed out blue and green because I was deliberately complementing C4ge (whom I champed soon thereafter).  I didn't pay black much mind until this week when an opponent's boosted fist dealt me 20k damage.  I had no idea where it came from until I went back and looked at the skills and realized how much raw damage it gains from those last two covers.
    got hit with it for 24K in my last match.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jredd said:
    Pants1000 said:
    Today I got crushed by a Peggy/JG team.  I was near full health and 1 turn away from using my own Peggy's blue, when I got an accidental match 5 to stun myself, then the opposing Peggy got her blue, killed off my OML, and I literally lost 100k health before I got another turn thanks to Peggy's blue and a couple JG AoE's.
    not to be a jerk, but peggy and jean are top tier 4*. you should expect to be whooped going up against either one and especially both.
    I know they are, it just surprised me to be 1 turn from a win with 100k health left, and lose.  The AI usually doesn't use Peggy's blue right before taking out one character.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One of the first times I fought a Hawkeye/Coulson team with Coulson unboosted.
    Oh look, says I, 15k health he has, I'll just match damage him with Thanos, then roll Court Death out.
    Why are there so many count downs?
    Why have I no AP left?
    Why am I dead?
    I now know how good they go together, but beforehand it was ignorant bliss.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    aa25 said:
    Loki. Always Loki for me.
    If he's there, he's ALWAYS the first one I take out. Even over Peggy... Thank goodness he has low health.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just about lost a match to a team with 5* Banner today. He had managed to get the AP gathered for The Other Guy and I had to put Hulk down twice before getting enough of my own AP to nuke Banner.

He still probably won't be a priority for me in the future, but I will definitely be a little more mindful of how much green AP the AI is collecting. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    CT1888 said:
    One of the first times I fought a Hawkeye/Coulson team with Coulson unboosted.
    Oh look, says I, 15k health he has, I'll just match damage him with Thanos, then roll Court Death out.
    Why are there so many count downs?
    Why have I no AP left?
    Why am I dead?
    I now know how good they go together, but beforehand it was ignorant bliss.
    I just got slammed by a lower tier team with Coulson last night in Sim. Switch, Coulson, 2* Hawkeye. Wouldn't have been a problem, except that the AI cascaded into 3 match-5s in 4 Turns. I swear, half the tiles on the board were countdowns :(
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think characters with moderate-heavy board shake in general fit this category. Overall they're often not consistent enough to rate highly in rankings, but the variance is huge, and can easily result in a massive cascade followed by several turns of the AI firing every power it has at you.
  • Ayasugi-san
    Ayasugi-san Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I've been pushed to the ropes by Vision a couple of times. I saw him on the team and figured that since he has two abilities the AI can't play effectively and his one direct damaging ability doesn't actually do much damage, I could ignore him until his teammates were dead. Then he put his blue out and didn't immediately remove it with a yellow, and every match hurt, while every cascade was life-threatening.
  • finlanderboy
    finlanderboy Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I had a modern black widow for deadpool daily gauntlet stunlock my team for 6 rounds.  I had champed 4 stars and she stalled a great while.

Now where close to beating me but I was ****?!?!!?
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Options

Played a spot of sim last night and went against a Bl4de, BB and fury. My team med, carol and wasp. Within 3 goes blade had umpteen attack tiles down and bb was raking up the charged tiles which led to cascades which took out one of my toons, then fury busted a purple which finished another off and then a qasi sonic whisper ruined the last with another cascade. Game over in about 5 goes.

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hobofist has gone from "ha ha that silly purple though" to "oh ****, he just smashed me with green, then black in a row!! I'm gone!" a few times... he's a tough one.

I use cap5/phx in PVP. I'm probably one of the only ones who does. I think it's a bit of a troll team, because it doesn't seem that tough, but Cap5 can actually do some pretty decent damage if given the chance (of course I can still be defeated pretty easily by many other teams... it's no thanos/bp).
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I won't lie.  
    I was surprised during the V for Victory PVP when a boosted Agent Venom started going off with his Black & Red.  Still use OML, and my entire team was still somehow knocked down to almost half health in this one fight alone!
  • RBwilliams07
    RBwilliams07 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    V for Victory PVP Agent Venom and Nick Fury. Nick fury with Demolition and then Agent Venom's Alien Weakness nearly destroyed by team of 4* Jean/Peggy/Battery Man. Only saving grace was they got a Match 5, Jean stunned then and Peggy hit them hard.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I fight 4*Jean once using an IM40 based combo. I don't remember the details of who was on what team, but I remember the board had a lot of yellow to start. I got my 6 yellow, but there was so much yellow still on the board, I waited to cast. 2 turns later I casted recharge twice. 

At this point, I thought to myself, GG. Nobody can get rid of 6 recharge tiles and survive the devastation that i was about to drop. Then Jean casted her purple and destroyed all 6 of my countdowns. At the time, I didn't even know she could do that. To add insult to injury I cascaded into a match 5 the next turn.

I have had similar experience against Yelena Belova. I know better now, but I have been caught with recharge tiles on the board when she uses Payback Mission.
  • ValekBoss
    ValekBoss Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    mpqr7 said:
    Hobofist has gone from "ha ha that silly purple though" to "oh tinykitty, he just smashed me with green, then black in a row!! I'm gone!" a few times... he's a tough one.

I use cap5/phx in PVP. I'm probably one of the only ones who does. I think it's a bit of a troll team, because it doesn't seem that tough, but Cap5 can actually do some pretty decent damage if given the chance (of course I can still be defeated pretty easily by many other teams... it's no thanos/bp).
    My fellow Cap5 bro!..Try using Cap5/Phnx/C&D in SIM or even Cap5/C&D/C4rol for fun.
    Team takes out much stronger teams then expected...offcourse you will get auto retaliated..;)