How far do you go in PvE progression?

Comments

• DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    To Infinity And Beyond - Keep going for placement rewards.
    Well above progression with 6 unoptimized clears.

4 early clears for each node in the morning, 2 in the evening right before I go to bed. I always end up T50 for the subevent and hovering around 25th place or so for the event itself with these 6 unoptimized clears. 
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    I usually go for placement so I repeat each node 7 times.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    All The Way - 22 Command Points / 25 Command Points
    Somewhere between max progression and the to infinity option.

Typically I do 6 clears per node every event, which puts me beyond max.  However, i don't do much grinding for placement since I know time constraints make this a futile effort.  The primary reason I do 6 is for XP.  On weekend events I will usually try to do 7 optimal clears, but this is just not possible M-F in any of the existing time slots.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've started falling short of max progression in SCL 8 recently. Sometimes that fifth clear of a 4* essential or the final node is just too annoying to play again.  
    You don't need the fifth clear that much in reality. The last day has so much more points compared to the first one that anything is possible. In the hunt I have not finished the first day (almost the 4 clears but couldn't finish), 2 day sub was done only to 4 clears level. For the last day I have done a 4-clear almost when the slice opened. No I will see later if I can make the max progression but it looks likely. I've got 20k points in the slice and need 9500 to get max progression. That should be doable with green-checks or 3 clears towards the event end. 

But that shows that when you play only last day hard (6-7 clears) and the other days more casually (say 4 clears, maybe 5-6 clears of trivial nodes that is good for XP anyway) the progression is there to get.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Checkmarks on release events, progression otherwise. I usually do checkmarks on the easy, goon, and wave nodes on each sub, last sub just do enough to reach progression. The hard nodes, aside from being harder, also give a random boost for the 6th clear instead of 100 iso, so I prefer doing the easy nodes over.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Most of the time I go for full progression but I clear the easy nodes 6 times for xp.  Sometimes I will push harder if I am close to cracking top 50 etc. but I don't play for serious placement (top 10 or higher).
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    dijidiji said:
    I'm establishing this as a split from the PvP poll: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/65754/how-far-do-you-go-in-pvp-progression

Organizationally, because the point totals change from event to event, I've listed options by prize type.  I've skipped over the ISO level rewards due to poll constraints, so please choose the option closest to your actual normal stopping point.

Additionally, the poll reflects rewards from Level 7/8.  If you normally play at a different level, I'm sure you can figure out the equivalent reward.
    Just curious, what are you trying to determine by the poll?

Anyway, I didn't vote because I could check max progression or all the way and both be correct. It all depends on available time I want to spend on each event.
  • dijidiji
    dijidiji Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Second 3*** Cover / Second and Third 3*** Cover
    Beer40 said:
    dijidiji said:
    I'm establishing this as a split from the PvP poll: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/65754/how-far-do-you-go-in-pvp-progression

Organizationally, because the point totals change from event to event, I've listed options by prize type.  I've skipped over the ISO level rewards due to poll constraints, so please choose the option closest to your actual normal stopping point.

Additionally, the poll reflects rewards from Level 7/8.  If you normally play at a different level, I'm sure you can figure out the equivalent reward.
    Just curious, what are you trying to determine by the poll?

Anyway, I didn't vote because I could check max progression or all the way and both be correct. It all depends on available time I want to spend on each event.
    It was meant to generate some conversation on the topic, much like the PvP thread had done.  I also think it's interesting to see how people play, though obviously forum goers are not a representative sample of the whole.

Speaking of, I think it would be interesting if @Brigby wanted to share some actual statistics to go with these anecdotes.  
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    4*** Cover

I sometimes push a little past it, but generally quit after getting the 4* cover.

• PFellah
    PFellah Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    I like to try and get six clears on everything, and then I might push for a seventh clear depending on how the rewards look (getting top 50 to get hero points is usually worth a little extra effort).
  • Rob216
    Rob216 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    I'm very upset with the recent change In CP progression rewards. Previously it was 5 CP earlier, 5 CP midway and I don't even know at the end (15?). I rarely ever get that far as I'm fairly casual in comparison with most I see on here. I think the casual players are not well represented and I want you to be aware you've cut a significant portion of casual players CP farming ability. I'm limited mainly to the Deadpool daily's 2 CP, single points in PVE, and champed progression. I have not hit a single 8 CP progression. I'm lucky to get the 4 star progression at this point. It seems a little backward to me to have the 4 star awarded before any CP at all.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    8 Command Points
    I go for the 4* cover primarily, but usually the 8CP point is not too much extra work. 

Anything beyond that is so... much.... grinding....

That said, at times there are occasions where I go for max progression, but that's becoming increasingly more rare. I still absolutely hate it that they backloaded the majority of CP rewards to max progression. 
  • Brown88
    Brown88 Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    How do I maximize my PVE points? 
    I usually play the nodes 4 times for Max points than wait the last 2 hours before I race for top 10.

Am I'm doing it wrong?
  • oldtimes
    oldtimes Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    My question as I try to max this one (didn't have Blade early on, or it would be done already):

Looks like I need to do 2 more clears of the "Nick Fury Rescue" missions. Is it best to knock one out now and another in 12 hours, or just do both later?
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Brown88 said:
    How do I maximize my PVE points? 
    I usually play the nodes 4 times for Max points than wait the last 2 hours before I race for top 10.

Am I'm doing it wrong?
     Sounds like you're on the right track. 

Ideally, you start playing as soon as the event starts (unless you're trying to bracket snipe). So an event starts, there's typically one node in the main event screen; get that cleared as soon as you can to open the 24/48 hour sub. 

Similarly, a sub typically has one node available when you enter it. Clear it quickly. In most cases, this unlocks the next node, but also the essential character nodes. 

You'll typically want to clear the 4* essential node four times first, as it's usually worth the most points and you'll want to get the timer going to regenerate points as quickly as you can. Then clear the 3* and 2* nodes four times. 

Once the essential nodes are cleared four times, shift back to the main path. Clear each node one time to unlock the next node, until you get to the last one. Clear that one four times, then work your way back down, clearing everything three more times. 

With good boosted champs that have great synergy, some players can do this in about 30-40 minutes. I usually clock in around 45-60 minutes, typically towards the lower end of that range. 

The final grind can be a bit tricky. I usually need about 75 to 90 minutes to clear everything another three times, as I usually go for placement. Some can clear each node three more times in 60 minutes. 

At any rate, the idea is to clear as quickly as possible to maximize the amount of time each node has to regenerate points, letting the nodes worth more points regenerate the longest. Then putting off the final grind as long as possible to make each node as valuable as possible. 

However, it can really suck to miscalculate how long that final grind will take, which typically means not getting a full seven clears and leaving points on the board. That's happened to me, so I'm erring on the cautious side and starting my final grinds a little earlier to ensure I get seven clears and don't leave points on the board. I'd rather miss out on a handful of points from not letting a node regenerate as much as possible than 100 points from not getting a 7th clear in.

As far as the order of the final grind, this is what I personally do. I start with the easiest node and clear everything to the hardest node twice to ensure I get the XP. Then each essential node twice for the XP, starting with the 2*. But I usually clear the 4* three times, then the 3* and 2* one more time each. I shoot for one more clear of each node on the main path one more time starting with the hardest node and going down. 

Like I said, there were a few too many times I either tried clearing each node three times instead of two and not getting a 7th clear of the nodes that were worth the most, or starting my 7th clear on the nodes worth less and missing out on the more valuable ones that made me go, "Wait a minute, I should be guaranteeing I get the node worth 150 points cleared and if I miss any one, it should be the one worth 40 points instead."

But, that's just how I do it. Seems to be working the best for me. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I play for placement but am wanting a new progression only based system where you don't have to play "optimally", against the clock and the game's animations pretty much, to get the best rewards. 4 clears gets you to the old max reward of your 15cp, 5 clears gives a health pack, an event token and iso, 6 clears gives iso, extra cp and the 4* for the next event. It would also unlock a bonus sub that would play similarly to ddq where each mission had its own reward to earn and beating a boss mission would award one or two more 4s of the next event, depending on your clearance level. And you would have the full length of the event to green check all missions.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    I'll do 6 clears, if possible, the end. I refuse to grind any further than that. This typically nets me T1-200.
  • Stick
    Stick Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    I've been a bit more casual lately, but I've been trying more and more to AT LEAST get the 4* covers. Usually *something* comes up, and I run out of time to grind on a certain day and it throws everything off. I did use to try and place high somewhat often, but it hasn't been happening lately.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    4*** Cover
    Rob216 said:
    I'm very upset with the recent change In CP progression rewards. Previously it was 5 CP earlier, 5 CP midway and I don't even know at the end (15?). I rarely ever get that far as I'm fairly casual in comparison with most I see on here. I think the casual players are not well represented and I want you to be aware you've cut a significant portion of casual players CP farming ability. I'm limited mainly to the Deadpool daily's 2 CP, single points in PVE, and champed progression. I have not hit a single 8 CP progression. I'm lucky to get the 4 star progression at this point. It seems a little backward to me to have the 4 star awarded before any CP at all.
    I feel your pain. As a Steam player, if I didn't buy a Windows tablet recently, I would be pretty much forced to quit. I don't have enough time to play on my PC at home, I would absolutely miss most of the CP from max progression in events and then I would be stuck in endless cycle of almost covering latest 4* before it gets vaulted.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    4*** Cover

I sometimes push a little past it, but generally quit after getting the 4* cover.

Having said that, I went max progression in EOTS.