How far do you go in PvE progression?

Options
dijidiji
dijidiji Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
edited June 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm establishing this as a split from the PvP poll: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/65754/how-far-do-you-go-in-pvp-progression

Organizationally, because the point totals change from event to event, I've listed options by prize type.  I've skipped over the ISO level rewards due to poll constraints, so please choose the option closest to your actual normal stopping point.

Additionally, the poll reflects rewards from Level 7/8.  If you normally play at a different level, I'm sure you can figure out the equivalent reward.

How far do you go in PvE progression? 159 votes

First 3*** Cover or below
0%
Heroic Token
0%
Second 3*** Cover / Second and Third 3*** Cover
0%
dijidiji 1 vote
50 Hero Points
0%
4*** Cover
10%
PuceMoosefirethorneNightglider1MojoWildAngjoJangoLoreEvil VinRonburgundySlothkinskaeladvenyDTrain514ForbushAlsmirCoubiiSkadenFrudeeAlluAllu 17 votes
8 Command Points
11%
SpoitTheVulturesinnerjflCNashAidonisDeNappaZootSaxoptimus2861heybubammenellZalastaBerserk_AlFelessaDyingLegendiron-n-wineEnderikaritallemannitefox1337oakenwall 19 votes
Recruit Token
0%
Lilith 1 vote
75 Hero Points / 125 Hero Points
1%
banner953Toweliesox 2 votes
All The Way - 22 Command Points / 25 Command Points
27%
KolencerixmithatomzedTaganovMoon RoachDartmaster01MagicTiggidaferaldayormpqr7alaethVarg138formula11Blindman13DCUDCUArctic_OneLambadaDaveSteellatchAlkyoneusjredd 43 votes
To Infinity And Beyond - Keep going for placement rewards.
47%
SidlonDragon_NexusSolidQBowgentlekillercoolxKOBALTxBryan LambertKhartmannxidragonxiQuest34DaichesNepentherdvargas1LukoilPessibeyonderbubPiro_plockguzktguiDukeUpdatepheregas 76 votes

Comments

• Ayasugi-san
    Ayasugi-san Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I play for six clears of every node, which gets me past progression.
  • dijidiji
    Options
    To bring over the conversation from the PvP thread:

dijidiji said:
    I usually stop at 100.  Get a little ISO, get some alliance rewards.  I can easily go 650 if I want to put in the time, but I'm all about #TheCasualLife...

See this sentiment about PvP being time consuming often in the forum.

How far progression wise do you go in pve? Because I've always found pve to be by a wide margin more time consuming. If you do max progression in pve then #TheCasualLife does not compute. 

PvP play for me is about an hour to three hours (not always sustained) of play every two days and 900 to 1300 points. I dread or don't play PVE.

No, I don't usually play to max progression.  Actually, I don't know the last time I did so, but I guess it's been years at this point.  I usually find that getting to the second set of 3*** covers is enough for me, but I'll sometimes play to the 4**** cover if it's something I need or am interested in.

Accordingly, I contend that #TheCasualLife still computes.

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'll go for the tick and CP on all nodes.  That's about the average.  Sometimes I'll keep going, for example a character release, sometime I'll hardly play at all because I hate the event, for example The Hunt.
  • dijidiji
    Options
    fmftint said:
    Poll is missing an option
    Green checks, beyond progression but don't care about placement
    That's fair.  I didn't think about that when building the poll, but I was constrained to only 10 options, anyway.  I think the max progression option is a good fit for your situation, but the choice is yours.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unless I mess up and underestimate the time involved, or some of the Nodes are particularly annoying, I do full clears of everything. I don't worry about optimal timing or clearing order, but I do clear 4 times soon after it flips, and try to start final clears within 3 hours of the end of the sub.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    i quit when all the cp is obtained. except for new character releases.  
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    8 Command Points
    Where's the option for "pve is a terrible time/value so I don't bother playing 90% of the time"
  • dijidiji
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Spoit said:
    Where's the option for "pve is a terrible time/value so I don't bother playing 90% of the time"
    Somewhere on the cutting room floor, I'm afraid.  But the first 3*** cover is pretty close.  Just clearing all the easy nodes takes less time than DDQ, and that's about enough for the first 3***.  Failing that, I think it's worth it to hit each sub for at least one match, since that's basically free ISO.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    fmftint said:
    Poll is missing an option
    Green checks, beyond progression but don't care about placement
    Yeah. I do care a bit about placement, but I mostly clear to get the green ticks - partly for the XP, and partly because it makes my brain itch to leave things unfinished.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Progression is my goal in PVE, but even once I get there, there's still a reason for me to keep playing.

I'm not saying it's addiction, but it's basically addiction.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    8 Command Points
    Only aim as far as 8 CP since the progression change - will sometimes go over if just grinding, but never as far as max. progression any more.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    7/7.
    Is there another way to play PVE? O_o
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    8 Command Points
    I mostly play for iso and cp - I see no point in playing a match two more times for 70 iso and a standard token. 
    so I grab my 2cp per sub, also do the essentials, enough for the 4* and the cp after that
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For the past few months I always go for placement but even when optimal clears are out of the question I still go for 7/7.

I get it that a lot of people see this game very casually so they opt for less.

I do have a question for the pvp guys though.
    Why do you prefer pvp to pve? 
    I don't think it's less grindy since more or less you do the same number of matches (I think)
    It's not the variety in the opponents since the teams one faces in pvp are more or less the same each match
    The rewards are worse in pvp. The xp you get is less in pvp. 
    Whole lot of HP on shields if one goes for placement AND the good stuff from progression.

The only appeal I can find is what 5* rosters face in pve with scaling is tinykitty and that you can go for placement and play when you want
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I clear every node to the maximum so I can come in 11th or 12 every event.
    Once in awhile I crack the Top 10 (5 out of the last 18, which is when I began tracking).
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I play for six clears of every node, which gets me past progression.
    This.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    8 Command Points
    in pvp I almost always play to that cp progression at 575,except i can use the 4* reward. 
    in both cases, I play significantly less matches then in a pve sub, but I skip a lot and only play high point matches
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    8 Command Points
    Wow...45% keep playing for placement.  How do you all do that?  For the week long (was it Meet Rocket and Groot), I pushed really hard to finish SCL 7 for max progression, and it was draining.  It was grinding hard, and not fun.  Playing every node 6 times is difficult, how many times do you need to play then nodes to get max progression?
  • legeng
    legeng Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I do 7/7. Missing the covers and HP from placement would slow me down to much.

Now, I have always wondered. Does it matter if you do the final clear (that's it the 3 last clears) just before the sub ends or if you do 2 clears any time of the day and the last one as close as possible to the end of the sub?