Why are none of the Spider-People great MPQ characters?

Options
13»

Comments

• Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    heybub said:
    Lukoil said:
    carnage is insane with medusa(for me this team is top tier)....don't know why anyone put him in category of bad characters
    I do not have any covers of Carnage, so I cannot comment on how good he is, but playing against him, I can say he is not top tier.  His passive takes, waaaaayyyy too long, and since this is a game of speed, he cannot be top tier.

Maybe the devs can do something about it, like stop showing the animation every turn, but until then, he is very annoying.
    Yeah. Game of speed. That's why he is good in defence=) He prolong game for oponnet and with healing from medusa - match takes too long for enemy team. But for your team, battle is pretty quick (few matches with enemy special tiles - 12 green AP - cast aoe from iceman - gg)

The only bad match-up as i said is enemy medusa. In that case you need to stun her with iceman (blue ap also generated by enemy special tiles matches) and everything is a breeze again.

Instead of iceman also good choice is peggy. Then instead of 5/5/3 build for carnage you should go 3/5/5.

Peggy is slower than iceman, but i guess tougher to beat in defence.

Medusa + carnage is basicaly 4* version of IM40 (in terms of AP generation) with insane healing capabilities. And those abilities are completly passive.

Some statistics: 
    Carnage + Medusa in defence wins me about 31 battles out of 46. 15 loses were from enemies with medusa in their team or from 450 lvl 5* teams.

For PVE though they indeed a bit slow if not boosted, but as i said - they beat realiably any team outthere and doesn't consume healthpacks at all. 
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    For 3* Spidey - I never really got his web bandage thing but if they insist on keeping it a heal ability, have it be a true heal and heal an additional bonus for every web tile on the board.  His blue is fine as is.  Have his purple power deal additional damage with a match for purple, black and yellow tiles(ala black widow).  Ideally I would have his yellow not be a healing power and instead have it be an AP producer.  This is rough and not completely thought out (for possible complications) but have it be an countdown tile similar to 4* Cyclops in a way - the power would cost 5 yellow AP - there can only be one Spidey countdown tile active at a time

Level 1 - place a yellow 5 turn countdown tile on a basic yellow tile of your choosing - whenever Spidey makes a blue match - gain 1 purple AP
    Level 2 - +1 to countdown timer - whenever Spidey makes a yellow match - gain 1 blue
    Level 3 - +1 to countdown timer - when the countdown tile expires - it is replaced by a critical tile
    Level 4 - +1 to countdown timer - whenever Spidey makes a purple match - gain 1 yellow
    Level 5 - 50% chance that whenever Spidey makes a blue, purple or yellow match, the resulting AP gain is increased by 1 and when countdown tile expires, two random critical tiles replace basic tiles on the board
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've got a championed Spider Woman and she's a useful character. And I use 1* Spider Man every day in the DPD 1* match. He's very fun, although sometimes Juggs kills everyone before I can get Spidey going.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Spider-Man is a character people want to play as. Demiurge balances the game to make the characters have around the same usage rates. If a Spider-Man character were good, it would be too popular and Demiurge would nerf it somehow.
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 288 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    So it appears that this thread has been heard by the devs (Yes, I'm giving this thread all the credit), and 3* Spidey and Venom will be reworked!  Hopefully they turn out great, but we'll have to play them first to find out.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/65863/soul-gem-season-changes-updated-6-27-17#latest

3* seems like what we requested, give his yellow power damage, and it seems significant.

Thanks, D3!
  • throughsilver
    throughsilver Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm not a regular poster, but have been playing the game for a while. I am quite amused by this thread, because it reminds me of an old character poll that had 3* Spidey at the top. He used to be (relatively) amazing. And rare as hens' teeth.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    heybub said:
    So it appears that this thread has been heard by the devs (Yes, I'm giving this thread all the credit), and 3* Spidey and Venom will be reworked!  Hopefully they turn out great, but we'll have to play them first to find out.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/65863/soul-gem-season-changes-updated-6-27-17#latest

3* seems like what we requested, give his yellow power damage, and it seems significant.

Thanks, D3!
    TBH I doubt this has anything to do with this thread and everything to do with cross promotion from the upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    TBH I doubt this has anything to do with this thread and everything to do with cross promotion from the upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming.
    Yeah this easily the 1000th or more "Why is Spider-Man so bad" thread.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No doubt, the movie is what gave them emphasis to make Spidey (and Venom) better.  Spidey will certainly be a boosted and probably required character in the team event coming up soon with this rework.  Look forward to using him, especially if he is boosted!
  • heybub
    Options
    broll said:
    Yeah this easily the 1000th or more "Why is Spider-Man so bad" thread.
    Nope. Clearly due to this thread.

1) Timing. The movie hasn't even come out yet.
    2) They used the ingenious idea from this thread to make to make Spider-Man's yellow do damage. There was nothing at all obvious about that being his biggest deficiency.
    3) There may well have been 1000 "why does Spider-Man suck" threads, but this was a "Why do all the Spider People Suck" thread. I think that difference is what influenced these changes the most.
    4) I'm sure this is the only thread where we also identified Venom (Eddie Brock) to have sucked, and he too is getting a rework.
    5) I could go on an on, but I ran out of reasons.

No, in all seriousness, it's good that Spider-Man has been reworked, and I'm excited about trying him and Venom out.  Whether it was said here, or in 1000 other threads, it's good that D3 listened and finally did something about it.
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    1* Spider-man is OK but who cares?  You spend like a week in 1* land and even then there are better 1* characters IMO.

Yeah Agent Venom is pretty cool his black fires fast and furious often using up AP colors you don't need.  

1* Venom was bad before and then they nerfed him further making him one of the worst characters in the game.  Mainly they did this because PvE nodes use horribly overpowered versions of him that you won't ever get.

Spider-Gwen is mediocre, her heal and stun are actually useful and her one attack is good but she still only has 1 attack.

4* Venom is a special team character only useful against Carnage or Ultron types that fill up the screen with special tiles.  He can do a lot of damage if you can ever get him in the right situation.

At least they took Bagman out of the normal pool.  I used to call heroic tokens Bagman tokens he came up so often.  I have a special kind of hate of that character.

Basically it seems the devs were frightened by a spider as children or DC fans or something.  

The problem is that not slotting 4* characters because they stink isn't viable long term.  There is always the chance after years of complaints, that Invisible Woman, I mean, the characters in question will get fixed and become viable.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not just you. Carnage (lately) is great. I think Miles is fine, there's just a LOT of other 4*s who do similar things with (arguably) less hassle. He does generate Web tiles like a champ, though.
    I should send you my screenshot of Miles taking out Juggernaut in Balance of Power in one hit.  179999 damage.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,624 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dayv said:
    Not just you. Carnage (lately) is great. I think Miles is fine, there's just a LOT of other 4*s who do similar things with (arguably) less hassle. He does generate Web tiles like a champ, though.
    I should send you my screenshot of Miles taking out Juggernaut in Balance of Power in one hit.  179999 damage.
    I love Miles. He's just a better character when you're not pressed for time. 
  • heybub
    Options
    Dayv said:
    Can you post?