Why are none of the Spider-People great MPQ characters?

Options

Comments

• heybub
    heybub Posts: 288 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not just you. Carnage (lately) is great. I think Miles is fine, there's just a LOT of other 4*s who do similar things with (arguably) less hassle. He does generate Web tiles like a champ, though.
    I have not played either one really.  I hate playing against Carnage, generally because the battles are so long, every turn making attack tiles..I guess that ups his defense, though.  

I can't comment on Miles, as I don't have many covers for him.  But I haven't heard anybody mentioning him in the top tier.  Spider-Man is a Marvel icon, and deserves to have top status representation.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,628 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the game has shifted towards synergy now that there are so many characters. You want teams that work well together. To that end, the Spidey characters are way underrated. I use them a lot. 
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What if they reduced the cost of 3* spidey's blue to like....2 AP. And let it stun for up to 5 turns? B)
  • escart85
    escart85 Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    Borstock said:
    I think the game has shifted towards synergy now that there are so many characters. You want teams that work well together. To that end, the Spidey characters are way underrated. I use them a lot. 
    If you look at teams and spidey characters exclusively, then the synergy doesn't really go far i think (someone correct me If I'm wrong here)

- Carnage and Venom <-  2 color overlap - black and green, Carnage supports Venoms Symbiotic Fury tadaa the end

- Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen - the synergy I'm seeing is the web tiles, there's a full overlap in colors => red and <- if you add 3* spidey here then you are probably doing it for the blue stun, otherwise in my opinion he's just a filler, besides Gwen has a yellow healing power too. Spidey 5* would make more sense, less overlap

what's your take on this?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit said:
    What if they reduced the cost of 3* spidey's blue to like....2 AP. And let it stun for up to 5 turns? B)
    I have a bad feeling about this...
  • heybub
    Options
    Spoit said:
    That would definitely make him better, maybe overpowered, even.  The problem would be he has 1 great color and blah, and then blah.  And he still stays in support.

I really think they need to scrap yellow, and give him a good damage dealer.
  • heybub
    Options
    PS> I wonder what the devs think about this? 
  • Zyrook
    Zyrook Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    3* Spidy is due for a re-work. I'm one of the old fogies who's been playing since the game came out and back in the day 3* Spidy was god-tier support. Granted his stun had no cap on how many turns it could stun someone and his yellow was a true-heal. Double-granted this was back went Sentry-Hood was the team to beat, so take that for what it's worth.

Miles has a strong nuke in his purple when boosted, but I hardly use him otherwise.

I used to use Eddie back in the day, but that was when it was him, Kingpin, or XFW for good yellow damage. Now you have C4ge, Nova, Carol, and Wasp, so why would you ever?

Spider-Woman is decent, got a good range that just doesn't synergize as well as others.

I might be one of the few people who liked DA Venom and I'm baffled why they nerfed him as hard as they did. Yeah, sure, his black might be abuse-able against 5*s post-Miles. I don't agree with that, but I can at least understand the logic. But why'd they nerf his purple too? It was a 1 turn team stun for 7. You have multiple characters that can passively team stun.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    heybub said:
    Spoit said:
    That would definitely make him better, maybe overpowered, even.  The problem would be he has 1 great color and blah, and then blah.  And he still stays in support.

I was being facetious. That's what he used to be, before the skill rework that made it so that skills (theoretically) required at least 2 matches before being cast.

And yes, there was a lot of whining about him being OP, but even before the nerf, his usage was pretty heavily on the wane, because he really wasn't that great. Even with the excessive stuns AND true healing.
  • heybub
    Options
    Spoit said:
    heybub said:
    Spoit said:

I was being facetious. That's what he used to be, before the skill rework that made it so that skills (theoretically) required at least 2 matches before being cast.

And yes, there was a lot of whining about him being OP, but even before the nerf, his usage was pretty heavily on the wane, because he really wasn't that great. Even with the excessive stuns AND true healing.
    Ha, ha!  I totally missed that.  It was before my time, as was the infamous XFW nerf (which I am glad that I missed).
  • Knaaks
    Knaaks Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I don't have anything to add, but, man, now I REALLY want Groo in this game!  He used to be published by Marvel, make it happen!!!
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,628 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    escart85 said:
    Borstock said:
    If you look at teams and spidey characters exclusively, then the synergy doesn't really go far i think (someone correct me If I'm wrong here)

- Carnage and Venom <-  2 color overlap - black and green, Carnage supports Venoms Symbiotic Fury tadaa the end

- Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen - the synergy I'm seeing is the web tiles, there's a full overlap in colors => red and <- if you add 3* spidey here then you are probably doing it for the blue stun, otherwise in my opinion he's just a filler, besides Gwen has a yellow healing power too. Spidey 5* would make more sense, less overlap

what's your take on this?
    An all Spidey team that drops web tiles can be great with Miles. It's just a really long match. I've won a lot of matches that way. 

So, it's not great if you want to breeze through a PvE clear, but if you just need a win, I think they're fine. 
  • heybub
    Options
    Knaaks said:
    I don't have anything to add, but, man, now I REALLY want Groo in this game!  He used to be published by Marvel, make it happen!!!
    Right??!!!

I actually proposed (loosely) a build for him.  Let me know what you think? 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/688735#Comment_688735
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5* Spidey is a great character, but his time as a counter to the meta has passed. When OML/PHX ruled, Spidey was a fantastic counter. Now that those 2 are relatively rare in the 5* world, Spidey just isn't as useful as he was. If they come out with another good strike tile generator, then it will be time to dust off the old Spidey again.

He has a good cheap stun, but I really wish his blue stunned for 2 turns at 5 covers. His green is expensive, but hits fairly hard and stuns for up to 4 turns.  His purple though is only useful if you're fighting OML or PHX. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    heybub said:
    Knaaks said:
    Right??!!!

I actually proposed (loosely) a build for him.  Let me know what you think? 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/688735#Comment_688735
    He also needs a passive where someone accidentally calls him a mendicant and he totally flips out and lays waste :D
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    carnage is insane with medusa(for me this team is top tier)....don't know why anyone put him in category of bad characters
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Lukoil said:
    carnage is insane with medusa(for me this team is top tier)....don't know why anyone put him in category of bad characters
    Being insane while paired with one specific character doesn't mean Carnage (or any other) should be classified as good.

They are all judged as individuals first and then as a member of a particular team.

For example....
    I think Sentry is mediocre at best. Pair him with Carol and henis an absolute beast. Should he go up a rank or two? No way!!

True, carnage is better after his re-re-work. Still not top tier though
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Skrofa said:
    Lukoil said:
    Being insane while paired with one specific character doesn't mean Carnage (or any other) should be classified as good.

They are all judged as individuals first and then as a member of a particular team.

For example....
    I think Sentry is mediocre at best. Pair him with Carol and henis an absolute beast. Should he go up a rank or two? No way!!

True, carnage is better after his re-re-work. Still not top tier though
    He is good both 1 vs 1 and 3 vs 3. That's the only gamemodes in the game right now.

medusa + carnage good against almost any team (enemy medusa is the counter). carnage + medusa + iceman good against any team(just stun enemy medusa and win).

And no sentry is not good with carol because this combination depends on board state (needs board filled with green and black to work). Also this team bad for your healthpacks. Combination carnage + medusa doesn't need good board and doesn't need health packs at all. All it needs - good green/blue user.
  • heybub
    Options
    Lukoil said:
    I do not have any covers of Carnage, so I cannot comment on how good he is, but playing against him, I can say he is not top tier.  His passive takes, waaaaayyyy too long, and since this is a game of speed, he cannot be top tier.

Maybe the devs can do something about it, like stop showing the animation every turn, but until then, he is very annoying.
  • AlluAllu
    AlluAllu Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    One of the Spidey's should have a Spider-Sense ability. The ability would give you a warning about what kind of match the enemy would do during the following turn. For example you would choose a tile and then "if you choose to match this tile, the enemy will gain 2 blue, 3, red, 1 black and 6 yellow ap during their next turn". Meaning that enemy would get some kind of a cascade. Better not make a match with that tile. 

I think that enemy team's actions are pretty much predetermined so this could be possible. And it would be a lore friendly and unique and really useful ability for Spider-Man. :)