Are the Gods Godlike?

Options

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phase said:
    wereotter said:

I do wonder if they will skip adding him because of the power three colors gives if indeed he is a Grixis color walker considering they skipped Tamiyo in Eldritch Moon, probably because she was three colors. 

They didn't do Taimyo because frankly no one cares about 3 color Tamiyo, though it is a good point to say that she wasn't made. Tamiyo wasn't worth breaking that wall down. Bolas is a huge deal, literally the big baddie from 20+ years of Magic lore (props to Yawgmoth of course!) and is the focus of the entire Amonkhet plane. He will be here, and there is no way he will be less than three colors. Prepare your wallet!

No one cares about the 3rd iterations of Gideon or Liliana, either, but there we go.

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phase said:
    wereotter said:

I do wonder if they will skip adding him because of the power three colors gives if indeed he is a Grixis color walker considering they skipped Tamiyo in Eldritch Moon, probably because she was three colors. 

They didn't do Taimyo because frankly no one cares about 3 color Tamiyo, though it is a good point to say that she wasn't made. Tamiyo wasn't worth breaking that wall down. Bolas is a huge deal, literally the big baddie from 20+ years of Magic lore (props to Yawgmoth of course!) and is the focus of the entire Amonkhet plane. He will be here, and there is no way he will be less than three colors. Prepare your wallet!
    Disagree about that first part. Personally I care far more about Tamiyo than I do about Bolas. Admittedly that has at least a little to do with the fact that I don't find dragons all that exciting, and am sick of them being shoehorned into every Magic set.
  • damonsteine
    damonsteine Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    making gods unable to block is just stupid.

like others said, devs gotta code properly when it comes to dmg, destroy, sacrifice, or exile effects
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

wereotter said:

I don't find dragons all that exciting, and am sick of them being shoehorned into every Magic set.
    Except, ironically, Dragon's Maze :)
  • wereotter
    Options
    shteev said:

wereotter said:

I don't find dragons all that exciting, and am sick of them being shoehorned into every Magic set.
    Except, ironically, Dragon's Maze :)
    Unless you count Dragonshift :)
  • damonsteine
    Options
    they are supposed to be indestructible and now they are not with the updated bug... nice
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Gods shouldn't be indestructible unless there's at least a rare-level exile spell, preferably white. While disable/destroy is great for other colors, white should have exile available. Limiting exile of creatures to Masterpiece-level cards is dumb.
  • wereotter
    Options
    they are supposed to be indestructible and now they are not with the updated bug... nice
    no, they're supposed to have "prevent damage" which they do and did. They ran into this issue after the Zendikar block where Undergrowth Champion wasn't dying to kill spells, and they made the decision that "prevent damage" didn't prevent outright destruction, and admitted this was an error in how the system calculated the effect of a kill spell as doing a certain amount of damage rather than simply destroying the creature.

I can sympathize if you weren't around for the heyday of rampant Undergrowth Champions locking you out of every matchup against Kiora, but if you were, you should have seen this coming. If you weren't, trust me when I say that this is for the best.
  • damonsteine
    Options
    i only played last september, but one of the first things i noticed is destroy spells acted like damage spells, which should not be. 
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    no, they're supposed to have "prevent damage" which they do and did. They ran into this issue after the Zendikar block where Undergrowth Champion wasn't dying to kill spells, and they made the decision that "prevent damage" didn't prevent outright destruction, and admitted this was an error in how the system calculated the effect of a kill spell as doing a certain amount of damage rather than simply destroying the creature.

I can sympathize if you weren't around for the heyday of rampant Undergrowth Champions locking you out of every matchup against Kiora, but if you were, you should have seen this coming. If you weren't, trust me when I say that this is for the best.

@Wereotter, that would be true if it was true.. but its not.  They're SUPPOSED to be indestructible.  UC Champ never was. 

I feel very deceived that they sold all 5 gods in the Elite pack and the DAY the elite pack expires they nerf all of the gods.  ****?

Not Indestructible:

Image result for undergrowth champion

Indestructible:

Image result for gods of amonkhet

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gods shouldn't be indestructible unless there's at least a rare-level exile spell, preferably white. While disable/destroy is great for other colors, white should have exile available. Limiting exile of creatures to Masterpiece-level cards is dumb.

Indeed! I agree, sir.

They could have indestructible and exile and introduce an exciting new dynamic to gameplay, but obviously that doesn't fall into the More Money paradigm as easily as locking exile-based creature removal away behind the Masterpiece Gate.

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Putting Deathtouch on Rhonas is probably a bit over the top. At least green could have a few tramples at it then.

And on a slightly related note, why is Floodwaters blue? Fog is an iconic green power!
  • babar3355
    Options
    babar3355 said:

Here is my guess.  They will run out the gods with their indestructible strength.  They will sell Angel of Sanctions with the really powerful embalm effect this week. Then  they will then run vindicate in the next masterpiece package as a answer to the gods/embalm.  Once everyone else has spent their unobtanium they will roll out the next set of AKH cards which will include some high casting cost exile cards which will provide answers to the gods and embalm creatures. 

Anyone want to bet?

Wow, was I wrong... the actual answer is they will sell the God's in the elite packs for 2 weeks, and the VERY DAY they are going to leave the vault they will nerf the snot out of them.  Bait and switch much?
  • damonsteine
    Options
    paper rhonas has deathtouch
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As usual it's a matter of reading things that just aren't there. 

The mtgpq version of Gods have never had the indestructible keyword. How can it possibly be a bait and switch. 
  • babar3355
    Options
    Ohboy said:

The mtgpq version of Gods have never had the indestructible keyword. How can it possibly be a bait and switch. 
    A. They already fixed the "bug" with uc.
    B. The gods are actually immune to destroy spells in paper
    C. D3 has a history of misleading language.. refer to my call-out of chuluthu after the patch where "access to more cards" means a 33% reduction in cards for the biggest card pack. ( To name 1 of many)

You can defend D3 and claim they are once again incompetent. I choose to believe they have shown a propensity for deceit.
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options

the gods should have remained indestructible...undergrowth champion definitely not.

there are approximately 30 creatures in MTG that have the keyword indestructible. the indestructible keyword is not going away

D3 need to realise they can't just pick and choose abilities or card's to introduce into their game as what they do, it affects the whole meta. take prowling serpopard for instance. this could have been a fun card but all we have now is an average creature.

They really need to spend a lot more time experimenting and coding different options to let us have keywords like indestructible but also give us answers. as they are now the gods are massively underpowered and will be relegated to PVE events( if they are lucky) or mastered and never used again. 

• Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    Ohboy said:

A. They already fixed the "bug" with uc.
    B. The gods are actually immune to destroy spells in paper
    C. D3 has a history of misleading language.. refer to my call-out of chuluthu after the patch where "access to more cards" means a 33% reduction in cards for the biggest card pack. ( To name 1 of many)

You can defend D3 and claim they are once again incompetent. I choose to believe they have shown a propensity for deceit.

A) Huh? I never mentioned UC

B) If you want to make the argument that all Mtgpq cards that don't mirror their paper counterparts are mistakes... That's a really deep rabbit hole to go to. Mtgpq isn't Mtg. 

C) There was nothing misleading. The facts were laid out bare on the table in that same post. They told you about the reduction in packs. They told you in no uncertain terms literally what was going to happen, with exact numbers(14 to 5, 600 to 300).  What was misleading was the community coming to a wrong conclusion and pushing that narrative. Much like what you're doing now. The gods have never had indestructible in their skillset as of this writing. The devs have never talked about indestructible. This is not bait and switch. It's a lack of reading comprehension and critical thinking. 
  • wereotter
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    wereotter said:

@Wereotter, that would be true if it was true.. but its not.  They're SUPPOSED to be indestructible.  UC Champ never was. 

I feel very deceived that they sold all 5 gods in the Elite pack and the DAY the elite pack expires they nerf all of the gods.  tinykitty?

Not Indestructible:

Image result for undergrowth champion

Indestructible:

Image result for gods of amonkhet

I play paper magic too. I'm aware of the differences. I'm also aware that cards don't often translate the same from paper magic to Puzzle Quest. Look at Olivia, Ulrich, Gisela, Heart of Kiran, Baral, Glorybringer, and Angel of Sanctions.

As was mentioned there are two things at play. Lack of reading and critical thinking. The gods don't have indestructible in this game and they never did. They have the same effect as Undergrowth Champion has and Runaway Carriage had. If you thought for a moment you'd realize that this was an error in coding with prevent damage as a creature status since the update. 

The secind part part is the gods need to not be immune to removal by design. Considering what we've seen done with Oketra and Rhonas, there needs to be a solution to dealing with them that's not just "play white" because, guess what? Standard events have events where playing white may not be the best answer and we all know it. 
  • MtGMoxJet
    MtGMoxJet Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    If gods werent indestructible.. why make them mythics?? Why still give them the draw backs that they have ( cannot block or attack unless a condition is met )?? Why sell them inthe elite pack for 400 unobtanium when they are completely useless?? Sacred cat now feels like it deserves to be a mythic compared to these 5 useless "gods".