Cycling

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
Cycling's a great fun mechanic, isn't it?

It's massively undercosted. ANYBODY can see that. There's no defense for it at all, JC.

Sort it out.

Comments

• losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I know, I love the cycling mechanic but please dont abuse it, Lance Armstrong famous cyclist got testicular cancer from abusing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Armstrong#Cancer_diagnosis.2C_treatment_and_recovery
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Have we determined whether or not the AI will cycle cards?
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I haven't seen the AI use it yet
  • Delnai
    Delnai Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I haven't figured out how to break cycling yet but I don't think it'll take long. Seems pretty powerful. Also just strange design; almost all the numbers in MtGPQ are bigger than corresponding numbers in MtG, while cycling costs are no bigger, and maybe even seem smaller on average?
  • wereotter
    Options
    Delnai said:
    I haven't figured out how to break cycling yet but I don't think it'll take long. Seems pretty powerful. Also just strange design; almost all the numbers in MtGPQ are bigger than corresponding numbers in MtG, while cycling costs are no bigger, and maybe even seem smaller on average?
    Key cards so far look like New Perspectives to make it free then cards that care about cycling. So Faith of the Devoted looks good. Pitiless Vizier makes for good removal, Shadowstorm Vizier looks solid for it, and Archfiend of Ifnir. Drake Haven in that setup wouldn't be bad either.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Also, once you get drake haven you should save up for the new Nissa, as her abilities seem absolutely coconuts with cycling
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A good rule of thumb in this game is that if you can make Sphinx's Tutelage completely lock down your opponent, then something else you're playing with is probably broken. Prism Array did it, Baral did it, and lo and behold if you can't get a decent lock with cycling. Try it with Alhammaret's Archive.
  • JarethLeonin
    JarethLeonin Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It's totally broken. I just managed to get a 84/84 Drake on 2 Turn! It takes awhile to get there but it's doable. I just hope the AI doesn't start cycling.
  • Delnai
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Delnai said:
    Key cards so far look like New Perspectives to make it free then cards that care about cycling. So Faith of the Devoted looks good. Pitiless Vizier makes for good removal, Shadowstorm Vizier looks solid for it, and Archfiend of Ifnir. Drake Haven in that setup wouldn't be bad either.
    Ha, seems like New Perspectives by itself is already enough basically to break cycling. Didn't notice it when I first read the spoiler because I didn't understand yet how cycling worked. Oy. Can't wait to pull that. Looks like they're continuing the trend of giving blue the most busted cards, just like the early days of MtG. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's totally broken. I just managed to get a 84/84 Drake on 2 Turn! It takes awhile to get there but it's doable. I just hope the AI doesn't start cycling.
    Can you post your deck?  Drake Haven does seem to be the pin in making something destructive out of cycling...
  • wereotter
    Options
    Delnai said:
    wereotter said:
    Delnai said:
    Ha, seems like New Perspectives by itself is already enough basically to break cycling. Didn't notice it when I first read the spoiler because I didn't understand yet how cycling worked. Oy. Can't wait to pull that. Looks like they're continuing the trend of giving blue the most busted cards, just like the early days of MtG. 
    Tezzeret is thirsty for this deck, once I can get my paws on all the cards to make it work  :D
  • JarethLeonin
    Options
    It's basically the combination of Drake Haven + New Perspectives and the Cycling 1, 2 or 3.
    https://mtgpq.info/cards/search?desc=cycling 1
    https://mtgpq.info/cards/search?desc=cycling 2
    https://mtgpq.info/cards/search?desc=cycling 3

Then you can add something to give haste or Sphinx's Tutelage which basically locks out the AI. I don't have a final list yet, as I'm still missing a lot of commons and uncommons but even if you go with some sub par cycle cards the deck is brutal.

You just need to control the board with the cycling cards (some are very good at that by the way) until you get those 2 on the board. Then it's good game. Turns can take up to some minutes while you are cycling your cards but it's "fun".

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, Drake Haven is bonkers, I can only imagine having New Perspectives with it.

Basically, just throw in cycling cards. You don't even need to worry about casting them, or utilizing the cards for any purpose other than cycling. Just pay 1-2 cycling mana for a 4/4 drake each turn.
  • JarethLeonin
    Options
    Combine it with it Faith of the Devoted on Tezzeret and you get a 4/4, gain 5 life and deal 5 to opponent. It's bonkers! All that while reloading your hand...
  • wereotter
    Options
    Combine it with it Faith of the Devoted on Tezzeret and you get a 4/4, gain 5 life and deal 5 to opponent. It's bonkers! All that while reloading your hand...
    You'll get more than that when you consider that if you draw a card with cycling, it will gain mana, and you can immediately cycle it too. With the right set up, and a little luck, new perspectives and faith of the devoted together can end the match in one turn. 
  • Delnai
    Options
    wereotter said:
    You'll get more than that when you consider that if you draw a card with cycling, it will gain mana, and you can immediately cycle it too. With the right set up, and a little luck, new perspectives and faith of the devoted together can end the match in one turn. 
    Looks like we may finally have a way to semiconsistently get the "win in 5 turns" (or whatever the number is) objective on that Angel in RatC that doesn't involve mythics. 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madwren said:
    Yeah, Drake Haven is bonkers, I can only imagine having New Perspectives with it.

Basically, just throw in cycling cards. You don't even need to worry about casting them, or utilizing the cards for any purpose other than cycling. Just pay 1-2 cycling mana for a 4/4 drake each turn.
    My best was to cycle ten for a 20/20.
    Eh..on average during five turns, than the game was over
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madwren said:

My best was to cycle ten for a 20/20.
    Eh..on average during five turns, than the game was over

I can usually get 4-5 a turn pretty consistently, but I'm missing 2 of the blue cycling commons.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shefet monitor. It cycles for eight (instead of six) , but.. Well, it is worth it.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Shefet monitor. It cycles for eight (instead of six) , but.. Well, it is worth it.

doesn't that card loop itself once you've got the
    initial 6 mana?
    (cycle shefet monitor, convert 9 gems to green.
    green match gets 5+ mana, if no match then
    look for match 5)

HH