making a decision on dealing with wasted covers

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic said:
    I might be in minority but for me the cover distribution is more of a problem than iso itself. I can, with relative effort, champion any 4* in less than 2 weeks. And I think it's fine (sure - would love to do it every 5 days but 10-12 days seems ok). But I prefer to get a cover for Cloak and Dagger or Rocket and Groot then add a level to my Cage or Gwenpool, or Venom or Spider-Woman (all championed). So I need to hoard and wait for them to rotate out.

I think the expiration date of 4 star covers should be doubled. Yeah, if you play hard and get lucky with a scl level or 2 star sell it can be done, but it is still a massive grind upon massive grind for the next champ. 2 weeks is fine for 2/3 stars, but the devs need to recognize that the iso for a 4/5 is a massive increase and should give us time accordingly as not to have this waste be so prominent. 
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unfortunately the expiration date is selling hero points :(
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy said:
    Magic said:
    I might be in minority but for me the cover distribution is more of a problem than iso itself. I can, with relative effort, champion any 4* in less than 2 weeks. And I think it's fine (sure - would love to do it every 5 days but 10-12 days seems ok). But I prefer to get a cover for Cloak and Dagger or Rocket and Groot then add a level to my Cage or Gwenpool, or Venom or Spider-Woman (all championed). So I need to hoard and wait for them to rotate out.

I think the expiration date of 4 star covers should be doubled. Yeah, if you play hard and get lucky with a scl level or 2 star sell it can be done, but it is still a massive grind upon massive grind for the next champ. 2 weeks is fine for 2/3 stars, but the devs need to recognize that the iso for a 4/5 is a massive increase and should give us time accordingly as not to have this waste be so prominent. 

They WANT you to feel that pressure.
    It's how they get people to spend.

It may not work on YOU personally, but it's how the f2p business model works.
    Limited resources, expiration dates, pressure to spend to keep those resources.

• smkspy
    edited May 2017
    Bowgentle said:
    smkspy said:
    Magic said:

Yeah, I get that, doesn't mean they can't adjust it though. And I don't think it unreasonable even in a f2p model. It's not like asking for the extreme of limitless covers, just a means of relieving the massive cover glut and forced hoarding to prevent it, a situation they themselves have made worse with vaulting.

It would also give players time to acquire iso needed without dedicating every waking waking moment to the game. Even just one more week would help if they feel 4 weeks is too much.
  • smkspy

Magic said:
    Unfortunately the expiration date is selling hero points :(
    Maybe tie longer expiration dates into vip? 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like an expiration time of one week per star level. One week for onestar characters, two for twostar characters and so on.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    That would be very reasonable (so not happening). Maybe it's 1 day for 1*, 1 week for 2*, 2 weeks for 3*, 3 weeks for 4* and 4 weeks for 5*?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic said:
    That would be very reasonable (so not happening). Maybe it's 1 day for 1*, 1 week for 2*, 2 weeks for 3*, 3 weeks for 4* and 4 weeks for 5*?
    Well, they have increased the cover expiry in the past (once, from 1 week to 2 weeks) so there's precedent. 
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic said:
    Well, they have increased the cover expiry in the past (once, from 1 week to 2 weeks) so there's precedent. 
    Was just about to say this... they went from no expiration when it was released (so I've been told) to 7 days.  That's where it was when I joined.  They then expanded that to 14 days when there was much complaining about vaulting the first time it came around, and dilution, etc.

It would be nice to expand it again.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Having covers expire but not having tokens expire is an odd mechanic...  If they're doing it for money reasons I'd happily pay 10*Level HC to push back cover expiration a week...  They could bleed people for resources that way and I'd be happy paying for the ones I think I need...  More money for them, more convenience for me in a "pay" increment that's smaller than anything else they have, that I also happen to find attractive... 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Easiest until your phone runs out of memory storing all the information it needs to store about the 6000 covers you have banked.
    So put a limit on the amount of covers you can have in que. Plus isn't the info stored on d3's servers? I don't think having more covers, iso, hp, or anything else changes the amount of memory your phone uses to run the game. 
    No, they're definitely stored on your phone. On the server as well, certainly, so that they can sync between devices. But you can open your pending covers list, regardless of length, without your phone having to check with the server. 

Some hardware might even run out of memory just rendering a long enough list of covers; there's no pages in there right now, just one loooooong list.
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    My problem is rarely ever iso.  My problem is having two Pink (that colour is not purple) Spider-Woman covers sitting there rotting while I pull ANOTHER Wasp yellow (before she was gone), then another one.  Or pulling covers for the few I have champed (which is fine), but no one wins in this situation.

You cannot buy CP, which would be the only way I could possibly cover characters for which I do not have thirteen covers for.  This really makes me angry when I have 12 covers, usually a 5/2/5 and I have literally pulled about 17 of the same cover and I end up having to sell it for a measly 1k iso.

It would be helpful if you could do one of four things:
    1.  Extend the period of time 4 stars can be queued for.
    2.  Allow people to spend a REASONABLE amount of HP to extend your queue time.
    3. Allow people a certain number of queued slots (maybe 5) before they are counted down.
    4. Allow users to roster extra covers and amalgamate characters.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Any chance we can get a dev or a brigby to chime in on this? like 'hey guys, we're working on some ideas to hopefully eliminate wasted covers. but if it comes down to it, we're going to give you what a cover is actually worth to alleviate some of the sting."

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah 6 of my last 7 4* pulls have been on powers I already have at 5. I only have 1 of the current 12 champed. And none of the rest cover maxed.

This is not a fun experience. 
  • smkspy
    At least with 5 covers, you can roster two, level to 83, and sell for 4000 iso. It's the smallest of consolations for all the cover waste.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Seeing how we had a thread about expanding rewards and a week later pve rewards were expanded, I'm hoping we see something done to address wasted covers soon. Maybe within the next 2 weeks hopefully? ;)
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    Seeing how we had a thread about expanding rewards and a week later pve rewards were expanded, I'm hoping we see something done to address wasted covers soon. Maybe within the next 2 weeks hopefully? ;)
    that was probably just a coincidence. people have been asking for this since as long as i've been on here.
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    One thing that would help address both the many duplicate covers & getting people to open more would be to allow an exchange of X covers into another color. So if you have 3 (or however many) of Carol Black sitting in your queue, you could exchange those 3 for 1 of her covers in another color you need. End up with 2 in your queue? Start opening to get that 3rd cover. They could even charge a small HP or CP fee if they feel they need another resource sink to go with it.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Currently, the only solution i can think of to solve 80% of the problems in this thread is hoarding. You have a bigger cover buffer and the option to use 120 CP to give use to that 8/6/2 stubborn character.
    I am a candy popper and I hate to hoard, but is a way more efficient way to play.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    smkspy said:
    Magic said:

I am genuinely curious as to whether that works though.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen posts from the mega whales in full on buyers clubs (you know, the arabian oil shieks with so much money they could burn a million a day and still wake up the next day with it replenished). And the prevailing theme seemed to be "We don't buy ISO."

They buy a butt load of tokens and champ up their characters and make ISO from the sold off worthless ones, champ rewards and other sources. No-one really buys ISO.

And I sure as hell am not going to spend £1000 to champ a single 4*.