MarvelTeamUp Thread (20/20)

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2014 in MPQ Alliances
This is MarvelTeamUp's little corner of the forums.

We are a competitive 20-slot alliance. If we are recruiting, apply in-game and send me a PM on these forums.

Comments

• Quondem
    Quondem Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    im am interested I have

Wolv **
    Storm ** almost all covers
    Mag ** Same number of covers as storm Max level at the moment is 70
    Thor ** max level 70 at the moment.

My screen name is Quondam in game.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Welcome to the team, Quondem.
  • dijidiji
    dijidiji Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks for making slots freely available. Do we prefer forum chat or in-game chat?
  • Dormammu
    Options
    dijidiji wrote:
    Thanks for making slots freely available. Do we prefer forum chat or in-game chat?

Both, I'd say. If you want to get a message out to the whole alliance I'd suggest in-game chat is probably your best option. But I'm a regular here on the forums and I think some others are as well, so this can transition into our own little chat corner as well.
  • Thanks for the invite and the accept. Excited to be part of the team. Now, on to The Hunt...
  • Dormammu
    Options
    fireal574 wrote:
    Thanks for the invite and the accept. Excited to be part of the team. Now, on to The Hunt...

Happy to have you. If you ever have any questions about the game or need advice, feel free to post them here and I'll try to help you out.
  • LuckyDog
    LuckyDog Posts: 70
    Options
    I have a question that I thought would be bettered answered here than in game. I was hoping for an explanation on the concept of "tanking". I never do it and wonder, does it work well and how often is it recommended to do it?
  • LuckyDog wrote:
    I have a question that I thought would be bettered answered here than in game. I was hoping for an explanation on the concept of "tanking". I never do it and wonder, does it work well and how often is it recommended to do it?

My understanding is that "tanking" means having a high HP character on your team that you use as a damage soak that enables your high DPS characters (who tend to have low HP) to take down the other team. You do this by: 1) having a tank that's a higher level so they have color matching priority, 2) ensuring you end key turns with the tank so your other two players don't get damaged. I would consider key turns to be a) HP of DPS characters is low, b) you're expecting enemy team to unleash a high damage attack next turn.

My interpretation comes largely from other games (World of Warcraft, etc.) where this is a core strategic concept. This is a concept that I use to punch a little above the weight class of my **** (but improving) roster. Depending on the opposing roster, I'll also use Bullseye as a support character to help with overall damage mitigation.

Hope that helps?
  • Dormammu
    Options
    LuckyDog wrote:

I'll try to make this as simple as I can: you have a PvP (player vs. player) rating called MMR (not sure what it stands for) that determines who shows up in your nodes in PvP tournaments, and how difficult they are to beat. The more you win in PvP tournaments (examples: lightning rounds, Hollowpoint Kiss) the higher your MMR becomes. If you lose or retreat, your MMR goes down.

Three important things to note:
    1) your MMR is a hidden number, you can't see it
    2) What MMR does is match you against players with similar MMR
    3) MMR has nothing to do with PvE (player vs. enemy) events, like The Hunt

'Tanking', beyond what ThirstyYao described (which is also accurate) is the act of losing on purpose with the intent of lowering your MMR so that you have less difficult opponents to fight. There are two ways to do this:

1) Tanking in PvP tournaments - if you get into a tournament right away when it first starts you will encounter what is called a 'seed team'. Seed teams are bot teams put in by the developers as a placeholder until more players enter your bracket. Seed teams are very weak (usually level 1-6) so they are easy to defeat with a **** team. In PvP tournaments, your defensive team is the last team you won with in that tournament, so if you beat the seed team and then quit playing your defensive team will be the purposefully-bad team you won with. This allows other players to defeat you quite easily and you start racking up the losses quickly on defense. This is most effective in lightening rounds, because they don't affect your alliance and they start at frequent times. Also, a lot of players will tank the beginning of a tournament, when they don't have points to lose, and then stop tanking at the end to score high.

2) The other way to tank is to retreat. Take 3 characters that you don't use and retreat over and over until they run out of health in PvP tournaments. This also works in the SHIELD training area of the Prologue tab. (This is the method I personally use to tank, and I often use the SHIELD training to do it. I usually retreat 4-12 times a day, depending on my PvP activity, and find this manages my MMR very well.)

All this sounds like a lot of work to maintain, but it's not. Once you get in the habit of tanking the benefits become very obvious and lucrative. So if you are consistently facing enemies who are too strong, consider tanking. I have maxed 3* characters and I often face weak 1* - 2* teams in my nodes early in tournaments because I tank regularly.
  • LuckyDog
    Options
    Thank you both for taking the time to explain it. I have read parts and pieces on other pages, but never enough to paint the complete picture. That explanation was great!

I've noticed in PVP events that once I usually get close to 600-700 points, I never seem to see weaker teams anymore. Does this typically ring true even with a lower MMR going into the event?
  • Good info! I was doing this yesterday during the LRs. I was able to progress to 250 points on seed teams alone and then win one more with the scrubs.

Off topic from tanking, would it be a good idea to communicate internally what times our players are generally active? Like for instance I'm a 7pm-12pm EST player and generally wont be online outside of that window. Was thinking it may help for communicating our goals and the like.
  • You guys are very gracious. I'm pretty sure that the original question was asking about the MMR-related tanking, not the in-match strategy I was describing (which is probably already obvious to everyone).

Doing the matchmaking "tanking" is new to me and a good tip. I'm going to start trying that myself. Thanks!
  • Dormammu
    Options
    LuckyDog wrote:
    I've noticed in PVP events that once I usually get close to 600-700 points, I never seem to see weaker teams anymore. Does this typically ring true even with a lower MMR going into the event?

The reason this happens is because of your points in that particular tournament. In addition to your MMR the game is also taking into account the point values of that tournament. When you get 500-600+ points the game can't match you against weak teams, because they probably haven't progressed as far and aren't worth any tournament points to you.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    ThirstyYao wrote:
    You guys are very gracious. I'm pretty sure that the original question was asking about the MMR-related tanking, not the in-match strategy I was describing (which is probably already obvious to everyone).

Doing the matchmaking "tanking" is new to me and a good tip. I'm going to start trying that myself. Thanks!

It sucks to have two separate things use the same dang word. icon_e_wink.gif I wasn't sure at first which he was asking about either!
  • LuckyDog
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    ThirstyYao wrote:
    You guys are very gracious. I'm pretty sure that the original question was asking about the MMR-related tanking, not the in-match strategy I was describing (which is probably already obvious to everyone).

It sucks to have two separate things use the same dang word. icon_e_wink.gif I wasn't sure at first which he was asking about either!

I was referring to the concept of lowing your MMR by intentionally losing, but just needed a full, clear picture on the process. With that said ThirstyYao thoughts on tanking are still very true and an important strategy for continued success. Thanks again guys.
  • Sorry guys, I might not be much help for the GSBW PvP, since I'm gunning for the black OBW cover... Depending on the bracket, that would be around 400-600 points
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Brutu wrote:
    Sorry guys, I might not be much help for the GSBW PvP, since I'm gunning for the black OBW cover... Depending on the bracket, that would be around 400-600 points

Can't fault you for that. OBW is an essential part of anyone's team. if everyone got 400-600 points we'd be sitting pretty good! I've got a near-max GSBW so I'll shoot for 800-900 points as I'd like to see everyone get a 3* Thor. If I can win my bracket I will - could actually use a red Xforce wolvie.
  • I definitely could use more Thor, but I might not do too well in this one. I only have a 3/3/2 GSBW, and I face a lot of max GSBW in PvP. Will try my best, can't guarantee too many points.
  • LuckyDog
    Options
    Great job to all of you on Alaska. We finished 64th on that event and as Dormammu stated, we managed to take a solid step forward in overall ranking for The Hunt. At last check, we were up to #143. Also a big congrats to Bainee for setting the pace tonight with 10,913 points. Listed below are the alliance totals for Alaska.

The Hunt (Alaska)
    157141 points

10913 Bainee
    10330 Luckydog
    10151 Omegablue14
    10171 fakespam
    10030 fireal574
    9467 Dormammu
    9344 SensoZakku
    9219 ThirstyYao
    9130 koeya
    8888 Quondam
    8836 sillycorn
    8684 jmg13
    8585 KKilz
    7785 Brutu
    7592 Radness303
    6536 Laika
    5733 Kraqi
    4797 DijiDiji
    708 Roughspite
    62 Red Warriors

Let me know if you guys would like to see anything changed or added. Once we get a handful of events recorded, I'll discuss and set up a member alliance ranking.

Tomorrow, I will be going from work straight to an overnight Relay For Life charity event, so Florida, Savage, and Hollowpoint Kiss won't get totals posted until sometime Sat. morning.

Only 3 more days of The Hunt. Let's go for a top 100. Good luck on events this weekend!
  • Dormammu
    Options
    As of this post we're ranked 110th overall in the Hunt. Top 100 is definitely within reach.