Beyond the Breaking Point

Options
124»

Comments

• ElimGarak
    ElimGarak Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    Not only is the matchmaking horrible (no level-sensitivity), no,the tiny kitty event had me "something went wrong" 3 times, which, of course, is a instant loss
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 805 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ElimGarak said:
    Not only is the matchmaking horrible (no level-sensitivity), no,the tiny kitty event had me "something went wrong" 3 times, which, of course, is a instant loss

What is being done about this? I mean, it's just not right if you miss out on the grand prize by a known bug in the game!
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What is being done? Most probably nothing. If they have a good day tomorrow they will give us 1000 runes "as a compensation"
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just wondering who thought it would be a good idea to, in order, decide to change the weekend event for the first time in over a month without warning > have Rishkar's Expertise be the event reward for an event that will have a locked node > NOT ANNOUNCE that the reward for this event would be Expertise while the locked node PW was in the vault > NOT EXTEND Tezz2's time in the vault to cover the time of this event > launch said event.

This is one of the cards people have been looking forward to most (because it's stupid-broken). Why are many people being punished for not buying Tezz2 at the right time by denying them EVEN A CHANCE at this mythic? It's not even like someone said, "you can choose not to buy this PW, but you're going to need it for a chance at Expertise." I WOULD HAVE bought it had I been made aware that it was a necessary purchase. 

This is the opposite of good marketing. I'm not being encouraged to buy new things, I'm being punished for not buying everything ever. Far from making me buy everything, this pushes me to buy nothing.
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bottom line, D3 has no feasible means of solving these problems related to errors during events that lead to people losing charges.
    The reason why we lose charges like idiots is they can't seem to be able to handle this transaction in a fair manner for all players in order to prevent abuse. And I can't say I have a solution for this.

I was going to suggest to take charge at the end of the battle after handing-over reward but this is abusable.
    - Exploit: Players close and reopen their device forcefully. Since that is in theory a "connection error", the charge is not subtracted yet the "would be lost" match is avoided.

I do have some recommendations here:
    * Some charges are deducted before the match even begins (a.k.a seeing anything on the board). Once you see the board, in all fairness you shouldn't be able to restart. But clearly the charge is deducted slightly earlier.
    * After match is over, should an error occur, store information locally until connection is restored. Just because the connection to the server goes poof during the "granting reward" process is silly. I expect this can be encrypted in such a manner that it can't be abused by players (besides, you can cross-check info with the server anyway... otherwise abuses would be possible even now).
    * Find a way to detect "multiple retry" on "an error has occurred" to avoid costing players multiple charges. That is again unfair and lead me to completely abandon an event because I lost all 5 charges on one of the nodes. Ever since then, I refrain from pushing the "retry" button as it is only going to make things worse for me than do any good. Since it was part of your retry, it's not something that can be abused.

This is a must-do as it is already causing enough problems with the events. There is no such thing as "We can't do anything about it". It's your application which needs to be fault tolerant and handle such situations more gracefully. Right now it's just amateurish and embarrassing - if I were a developer in your team I'd be with my head in the sand already because "sorry, I don't have enough information to help you with this".
    Nobody said programming is easy, that's why programmers get paid so well (I would know as I am one myself). Start some prototyping and take this as a high-priority situation - this is a critical (if not blocker) bug that is preventing your players from properly using your application during events. You can try to stabilize as much as you want your servers... the truth is that unexpected errors can always occur. Your focus should also be on the client app!

*done ranting...*
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,242 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not so far. But Rishka was never really in reach for me... I already said goodbye when I saw it in the rewards! ^^

Edit: But someone in my coalition who plays MtGPQ on an Iphone also experience crashes, accordingly on the 4th -5th game.
    He now resets the game after a match and it seems to work even it is a big hassle.
    It seems to be a memory issue then, right?

I've also had this problem/fix on my iPhone. It's inconvenient, but it does seem to forestall crashes.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Machine said:
    ElimGarak said:

What is being done about this? I mean, it's just not right if you miss out on the grand prize by a known bug in the game!
    Well, ma big post got deleted for breaking the new forum rules.

So, without breaking the new forum rules, here was the jist of it:

• Player missed out on Dynavolt Tower because of game crashes in events.
    • Player missed out on Aetherworks Marvel because of game crashes in events.
    • Player missed out on Saheeli Rai because of game crashes in events.
    • D3/Hibernum did not care.

If you'd like any more information about this, then feel free to message me personally. Obviously I will converse with you in a way that does not breach any new forum rules or Byzantine new confidentially clauses.