Deadpool Daily Vaults Getting Nerfed and Retired Characters?

124»

Comments

• astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker

My thinking in my earlier post was that they are trying to gate 4* covers a bit so new players aren't stumbling on them in the wild quite as easily, rostering them, and trying to focus on them versus 2* and 3* characters, which they absolutely should be...And from personal experience, I can say it creates scaling issues... if you develop one 4* above your existing roster's levels, you get screwed. For months, until you can catch everyone else up to their level. I did this with X-Force Wolverine when he was one of the few 4* characters... leveled him to like 160, when most of my 3* characters hadn't even broken 100. It made playing rough for quite some time.
    Even worse is that most newbies probably have no idea what scaling is - and if they don't read the forums, and aren't in an alliance, they might never find out. I could see a newbie lucking into a 5* cover early on (by buying VIP, with their first 25 CP purchase, etc.)  then playing PvE for the first time, deciding "Oh, this game is impossible" and quitting. I'm quite glad I didn't get a 5* in my first  couple of weeks. I have no idea if this is what they had in mind when they considered removing 4*s from the taco vault (assuming that's what they were considering) but personally, i doubt that it was.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    be nice to get an official word on this asap. i'm sitting on 230+ of each type of token.
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    StevO-J said:
    As someone who has at this moment hoarded 417 and 270 for the two different Taco vaults this information is making me very, very nervous.  :/

I can understand why someone would save up to 300 Taco Tokens for a single vault. I did that and buying an entire vault was lots of fun. Why did you go beyond that?  :/
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    StevO-J said:
    As someone who has at this moment hoarded 417 and 270 for the two different Taco vaults this information is making me very, very nervous.  :/

I can understand why someone would save up to 300 Taco Tokens for a single vault. I did that and buying an entire vault was lots of fun. Why did you go beyond that?  :/
    So that you can wait for a vault that is worthwhile?
    I mean the one 6 days from now would have a peggy in it, which is likely far more exciting to get than bucky.

just like 11 days from now is prof x instead of sam wilson tomorrow ect.

pulling the whole vault is fun, but being sure you are going to get something useful is more fun.

you just pull until you get what you want and then build up again.

for me I never got over 100 as I would just pull when there were 3* I wanted. I was planning on unloading my tacos when hawkguy entered the vault but if things change I won't be able to as that wouldn't be until likely the 23rd.

I mean in general I don't mind a ton of they change the tacos, they just absolutely have to include 4* and a chance for 4* bonus heroes with them. I mean the game as it currently is, is kind of dumb.

right now instead of building up 4* and then moving to 5* it is way easier to just hoard CP and tokens until a new great 5* comes out and go all in on that and the other two latest and skip the 4* field all together and field a team of latest 5*. 4* dilution is an issue of course, but them being so stingy with the covers is even more of an issue. Years ago when 3* were in a similar place they allowed people to build them up quicker with DDQ. Now their big bonus is 1/10th of a 4 star each day and from the sounds of it reducing your chance of getting a 4* in general beyond that.

but what ever I will roll with the changes (and continue to swear off giving them any money due to them not treating steam users as well as the rest of the player base) and just hope they give enough of a heads up that my tacos don't become mere random chance pulls that will be nothing but 2* or health packs.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    lol i never opened a vault taco since it started.  at first it was to see if i could get to 300, and when i did hit 300 in both vaults, i was dreading opening up the vault 300 times.  now i have 669 and 671.   lmao
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    StevO-J said:

Reset shopping, maybe?
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    Borstock said:
    StevO-J said:

Reset shopping, maybe?
    You keep saving past 300 tokens to wait until the vault has a specific 4 Star cover you need.  Also, this way you'll still have some left over if you have to spend the full or near full 300 tokens to get the 4 Star cover you want (although that would be EXTREMELY unlucky).
    That's pretty much what I've been doing almost since the Taco Vault debuted.  I more or less pretend I don't even have any until the vault has a 4 Star cover I need.  When I have like 6+ characters that are only 2-3 covers away, specific covers matter. 
    ANYTHING to combat the RNG acquisition of content in this game...
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    You keep saving past 300 tokens to wait until the vault has a specific 4 Star cover you need.  Also, this way you'll still have some left over if you have to spend the full or near full 300 tokens to get the 4 Star cover you want (although that would be EXTREMELY unlucky).
    That's pretty much what I've been doing almost since the Taco Vault debuted.  I more or less pretend I don't even have any until the vault has a 4 Star cover I need.  When I have like 6+ characters that are only 2-3 covers away, specific covers matter. 
    ANYTHING to combat the RNG acquisition of content in this game...
    But after a while, statistically speaking, don't you end up with hundreds over? Unless you get that full 300 killer, I feel like you'd reach a point where you'll only ever go net positive.

I haven't done the math. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm also seeing more and more 4* covers in those vaults that I don't need other than for a champ level. So I see someone with an even more advanced roster almost never pulling.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    But after a while, statistically speaking, don't you end up with hundreds over? Unless you get that full 300 killer, I feel like you'd reach a point where you'll only ever go net positive.

It depends on the mighty RNG - the only time I've emptied a vault it was for a Prof X yellow last year - mine was 5/2/0, and I wanted that yellow. I had to open 281 taco tokens to finally get him, and just now has my taco pantry recovered to the point where I'm considering emptying another vault.

• StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    StevO-J said:

Simply a function of not getting any useful 4* covers in there for the last weeks. I seem to get only lucky in the sense that I get only covers for powers that are already at 5 for my 4* characters. That, and I have no real interest in getting a champ level for those I have championed so far, so opening Taco's for champ levels is not happening. I know that makes for a pretty slim chance of emptying a vault, but I was never worried about the system changing so far, and whenever there were useful covers in my vault I could just start opening Taco's and get it (when over 300).
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017

It depends on the mighty RNG - the only time I've emptied a vault it was for a Prof X yellow last year - mine was 5/2/0, and I wanted that yellow. I had to open 281 taco tokens to finally get him, and just now has my taco pantry recovered to the point where I'm considering emptying another vault.

I had this happen one time as well, where I needed like 230+ pulls to get the cover I wanted.  And yeah, it takes MONTHS to recover. 
    Borstock said:
    I haven't done the math. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm also seeing more and more 4* covers in those vaults that I don't need other than for a champ level. So I see someone with an even more advanced roster almost never pulling.

This is why I have over 300 tokens in each set.  Not saying this to be all big balled, but aside from the 2 or 3 most recent releases, I have almost every 4 Star character cover maxed or 2 or 3 covers away from being cover maxed.  So the probability that a given Taco Vault has a specific cover I need are less and less.  So, I hoard...  I don't see much payoff in dropping 200+ tokens just for a single Champ level.

Vaults are yet another situation for colorless covers IMO.  I didn't drop into the last PVE's Vault because the Agent Venom cover was Black, and mine is 2 4 5.  So, I'll just pull when it's expired and they convert into generic tokens to avoid the potential frustration of getting a 6th Black that would be wasted.  And for me, almost every vault is this situation.  So, I hoard...
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bah I'm getting ever closer to 300 per vault, I hope they hold off long enough for me to finish :p Don't really care about any change tbh, It's a pretty boring and dull feature anyway.
  • Screen Monkey
    Screen Monkey Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Have there been changes in management at d3?

• orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Have there been changes in management at d3?

It's either that or (pure speculation) Papa Marvel wants a bigger cut after their initial license ran out and they had to renegotiate or something like that. 
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    For the record, this was pulled so they could re-tool it. We're now speculating based on outdated information.

While I'm typically a pessimist, all of these recent changes could be pointing towards one possible optimistic outcome — a large portion of the 4* characters vaulted and made massively inaccessible, the forecasted removal of the few meager 4* covers from Taco Vaults and a change to taco tokens in general — that outcome being a daily 4* reward in DDQ. If they're giving us access to a daily 4* cover in the same way they currently do 3*, and also want to solve issues of dilution while simultaneously making newer characters playable faster, this could work.

It'd create a steady, more controlled progression of roster development, especially in the long run as they add more and more characters. At the same time, with this new regular access to covers they'd want to pull back on some of the cover rewards already out in the wild. And to implement this, they'd want to make all of the negative changes first, that way we're not reaching new heights of glory only to have them scaled back... better to take a few steps back and then one big step forwards.

Once again, this is me being OPTIMISTIC. But's it's totally plausible. 
    Don't be so stupid!

That's a decision that would significantly improve the game. We clearly aren't going to get anything like that!