Do we boycott Vintage Heroics?

Comments

• beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    I just bought a vintage heroics 40pk to "boycott" the boycott. Hope the devs are listening. Got 6 bounus heroes!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with everyone's complaints about Vintage tokens. It does not solve the dilution problem.

Personally I also don't like that in order to earn Vintage tokens, we need to play offseason PvP. They know most players like to take a break and skip those events so this "solution" is a way to get more players to play offseason PvP to boost sales on healthpacks and shields. 

Perhaps they could reward us for the Season ending PvP with Vintage tokens instead of regular Heroic tokens. 
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Last season they said this was their first attempt at giving players access to vaulted characters, glad to see that a full season later has brought ZERO change 
  • Mekuh
    Mekuh Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    I'm having second thoughts about this PVP that can net you Vintage Hero tokens. The last time I got one, it gave me a 2*. And I said to myself "They expect us to waste HP on this?" I don't want to go through that luck again.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    fmftint said:
    Last season they said this was their first attempt at giving players access to vaulted characters, glad to see that a full season later has brought ZERO change 
    To be honest, I'd rather they didn't make changes after only one off-season's worth of data, especially given how high emotions were running last time. This time around, and probably next time, will give them a much more accurate reading of purchases, etc.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint said:
    Heroes for Hire happened after that right?  Maybe not the change you were hoping for but they did add another avenue for adding vaulted characters.  I was able to champ Nova with his package plus the Thanos event rewards.  
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    So they brought this greedy cash cow back again, hey? No way will I ever buy from that store, its utterly disgusting. 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    granne said:
    fmftint said:
    To be honest, I'd rather they didn't make changes after only one off-season's worth of data, especially given how high emotions were running last time. This time around, and probably next time, will give them a much more accurate reading of purchases, etc.
    The problem isn't how well the tokens sell, it's that these tokens do nothing to relieve the problem of vaulted characters.

On average, if you play all the off-season pvps to the third progression token, you'll get 4 vaulted 4* per YEAR.

revskip said:
    Heroes for Hire happened after that right?  Maybe not the change you were hoping for but they did add another avenue for adding vaulted characters.  I was able to champ Nova with his package plus the Thanos event rewards.  
    How many champ levels do you expect to get through the HFH store?
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Peggy just went into the vaults, of course they're gonna bring back vintage heroes.  The vaults only get bigger and if they aren't budging on that, then expect the more desperate players to try and buy their way to more vaulted covers. 
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Starfury said:
    granne said:
    fmftint said:
    The problem isn't how well the tokens sell, it's that these tokens do nothing to relieve the problem of vaulted characters.

On average, if you play all the off-season pvps to the third progression token, you'll get 4 vaulted 4* per YEAR.
    @Starfury I think you're misunderstanding my point. I didn't mean the sales of tokens, as such; I meant the sales of HP to players who then go on to buy 10- and 40-packs.

To a lesser extent, I'd expect them to look at numbers of tokens bought directly using on-hand HP, but that would be less relevant to their business decisions, I imagine.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I stopped buying tokens in general, so that I can save my HP for roster slots for clones my 3* farm. It's growing!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have a problem with the vintage characters store as long as that's not the 'fix' for vaulting.  It does almost nothing to address the problem and is just a pay grab.  Heroes for Hire store is slightly better, but still a clear money grab.  I love how they are trying to solve a problem that they created by charging us.  
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Peggy just went into the vaults, of course they're gonna bring back vintage heroes.  The vaults only get bigger and if they aren't budging on that, then expect the more desperate players to try and buy their way to more vaulted covers. 

I don't think they "brought back" vintage heroics because of Peggy being vaulted. I think they brought them back because it's the off season and they're going to bring them back every off season. I thought they even said as much when they introduced them, but maybe not. In any event, I assumed as much and was fully expecting them to be back this off season.
  • Partyof5
    Partyof5 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    This doesn't solve vaulting at all.  So after a month this comes back in an offseason PvP.  I played to 300 to get a token and got......a 2* :(
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    The Vintage Heroic Store was beautiful idea that was executed poorly. In theory it should be the perfect answer to the dilution problem, except:

1.) It has 2-stars at an egregiously higher rate than the 3s and 4s, just like regular heroics. I'm fine with it having 3-stars, since some of them were vaulted as well, and there's definitely people still hoping to build their 3-star rosters. 

2.) It's an offseason store. Unless its people like Howard and Devil Dino that are only ever required at specific points in the year, I see absolutely no sense in limiting the dates that a character is available. It doesn't even make sense as a sale tactic, if that's ultimately the end game here. It's not like people don't use or hope to buy covers for these characters at any kind of reduced rate based on where we are in the season. 

3.) You can't use CP. Not that you would use it on a store that has 2s and 3s in it anyway, but by subjecting this store to the same "Daily Deal" of __ HP cost setup as all the rest of the cover stores, it ensures that you'll need to be spending very large amounts of HP to see significant results. Neither HP or CP grow on trees, but with the rates the game gives it vs. how much the game costs of it, losing significant amounts of HP is much more difficult to overcome. 

If this store lasted perpetually just like the regular heroic store, had no 3s and 4s, and charged a flat cost of CP, it would be awesome. Not perfect, but awesome. I know it's something they've never done before so it might be a little difficult to implement, but........wait a minute.....
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    It would be nice if you could hoard all your heroics all season and then they would all convert over to vintage heroics during the off-season, and then back again at the start of the next season.  Would that make you guys happy?
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a long-time player, I love the vintage tokens since I have the potential to add some upper level champ levels to my vaulted characters.  That's if I could draw something other than a 2* out of them.

That being said, standard tokens exist to aid the 1/2* transition.  Elite tokens exist to aid the 2/3* transition.  Legendary tokens exist to aid the 4/5* transition.  But regular heroics?  They don't aid any transition.  It just idles there at 2*s with a very small chance at something potentially useful.  (In my case, 12 of the 3*s are max champed in a regular season heroic, so my "useful" rate is way lower.)

My 2 cents...  Remove 2*s from Heroic Tokens and run 2 tokens side by side on the same sell screen (much like the classic versus latest legendary).  The tokens could be alternately given out as progression/earnable rewards.  And if you want to whale a particular version?  Have at it!  If you don't want to risk pulling someone you can't roster?  Hoard! It's really not different to how we already treat LTs/CPs.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they really wanted to sell these wretched things, they'd take the 2* clean out of them and sell them as "vaulted 3* and 4* ONLY" tokens. Something like 75% 3* and 25% 4*. They're only available for a limited time anyway, and there's no easy way to get any of these characters otherwise. So push the "limited time ONLY!" line and make them a great deal. Then they'd sell. But they just can't stop themselves from clogging up all non-Legendary tokens with 2* junk, can they?
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would only buy the vintage packs if there weren't any 2* covers in them. Any pack that has 2* in it, I avoid. I use my acquired HC for roster slots only.
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    I'm in 3-4 transition. I'm missing 8 of the so-called "vintage" 4-star characters (and four 3-stars), and I only have one of the "current" heroic 4-stars. My 2-star setup is also pretty barebones because I sold most of my unused characters to make space long before the Burrito came out.

I have 80 roster slots and there are, what, 130 characters now? If my roster slots ever outpace the number of available characters, then I can consider flushing HP down the toilet by buying Vintage Heroics.

I guess you can call that a boycott if you want. I just call it bad game design.