**** Mordo (Master of the Mystic Arts) **** Updated (8/7/17)

Options

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    He's not great as a battery or a damage dealer.  His black is cheap, but only makes more black, so not a real battery.  Just a modest feedback loop.  Blue is a battery power, but at 10ap it is too expensive.  I would rather it did more ap gen for less damage, or more damage and less ap gen.  Once again, demi has overvalued charged tiles and jack-of-all-trade powers.

Mordo isn't unusable when boosted.  But he is definitely among the weaker 4*s now. 
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That is why I would pair him with somebody like 4-hulk or 4-thor.  Hulk uses the black charges to generate green and blue charged tiles, the blue than goes to Mordo, and Hulk smash with green.  If you pair with 4-Thor you get out lots of charged tiles very cheaply with Mordo's black then use Thor's blue and red.  I agree with you on the black it will probably not see much use on a lot of teams but it can get the ball rolling if things are going slow and it is a decent poke especially if you are fighting a invisibility heavy team.  I think 8 would definitely be more reasonable for his blue (it is a expensive) but I think it is his best power, it can create its own matches which is a plus.  Similar charged tile generators like Hot dog Stand produces 1 more charged tile (if I remember correctly) for 3 less plus a true heal and 4-Thor stuns and creates 4 charges as well for 8 and for that reason 8 seems more reasonable for the damage Mordo's blue does they may tweak it somewhere down the road.  He is definitely a weaker 4 but a good support character on the right teams (Surfer, 4-Thor, 4-Hulk, 4-Pun).  Also the game is evolving and I think charged tiles may be the next area they explore after this boom in countdown oriented characters.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That is why I would pair him with somebody like 4-hulk or 4-thor.  Hulk uses the black charges to generate green and blue charged tiles, the blue than goes to Mordo, and Hulk smash with green.  If you pair with 4-Thor you get out lots of charged tiles very cheaply with Mordo's black then use Thor's blue and red.  I agree with you on the black it will probably not see much use on a lot of teams but it can get the ball rolling if things are going slow and it is a decent poke especially if you are fighting a invisibility heavy team.  I think 8 would definitely be more reasonable for his blue (it is a expensive) but I think it is his best power, it can create its own matches which is a plus.  Similar charged tile generators like Hot dog Stand produces 1 more charged tile (if I remember correctly) for 3 less plus a true heal and 4-Thor stuns and creates 4 charges as well for 8 and for that reason 8 seems more reasonable for the damage Mordo's blue does they may tweak it somewhere down the road.  He is definitely a weaker 4 but a good support character on the right teams (Surfer, 4-Thor, 4-Hulk, 4-Pun).  Also the game is evolving and I think charged tiles may be the next area they explore after this boom in countdown oriented characters.
    I think Hulk's black is much better at creating Charged tiles for Thor, if that's what you're looking for.
  • hopper1979
    Options
    I would not put those three together it would be Mordo/4Thor/XXX or Mordo/4Hulk/XXX I agree those three together overlap very badly and make Mordo pointless. :)
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've actually been having a lot of success (and) fun putting Mordo on a 3*4*5* team with Iron Fist and Black Panther. Check the link for screen grabs before and after firing IF's 5AP purple which resulted in almost 5k BP match damage and a gain of 18 black AP which Mordo uses to deal damage and create more charged black tiles:

https://imgur.com/gallery/yRDMJ

• hopper1979
    Options
    Ok here is a very solid team for Mordo, he tanks a  little more than I like  but it has very good synergy and all the powers feed each other so it is very flexible depending on what you need.  Now it is not perfect but it is fun and fast.  So Mordo/Quicksilver and Ragnarok.  I know Ragnarok, but this team works, his red goes towards Mordo's blue which builds up Quicksilvers blue.  Any green goes to Quicksilver Mordo's blue is your primary damage dealer and black goes to Mordo or Quicksilver depending on which you need.  Very quick and kinda fun to play now it will get its clock cleaned in pvp but try it out, you never know if Ragnarok gets fixed this might become a very solid team (I am assuming it is his green that needs a tweak).  
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So I champed Mordo today, and he's awesome! I love how they turned his purple from almost useless to a nasty nuke. His blue doing more damage than before is a nice bonus as well. These 2 powers have to be 5 imo which means black gets ****, but I'm ok with that :smile:
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah only drawback to the Purple is the AI actually has to pool some (non-T/U) AP. So it'll be pretty bad on goon-only nodes unless they cascade into some nonsense. 

Ultron Sentry killer, though, I guess.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah only drawback to the Purple is the AI actually has to pool some (non-T/U) AP. So it'll be pretty bad on goon-only nodes unless they cascade into some nonsense. 

Strange Sights. Mindless Ones. Now there's a "benefit" to their passive generating AP.
  • darkwatcherDEZ
    darkwatcherDEZ Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Really enjoying the rework on Mordo. Champed at 4/4/5, he is dealing good damage and punishing AP hoarders. Purple is hitting for 810 damage per AP with 8100 damage on an enemy stash of 10AP. Considering most characters with serious damage potential require that and more, or passive not burning AP, Mordo is dropping more punishment then Punisher. 

GSBW trying for Sniper? = punished
    HulkBuster stashing for a serious RED? = punished
    AVenom trying to meet the req for RED or purposeful weakness? = punished
    4Blade no longer RED hungry? = punished
    Galactus hungers?  = Galactus punished
    IM40 netting you AP? = punished

New strategies to a player near you... Staff of LT aka "Black Smite"  is only getting 4800 with 4 charges, but Blue / Black helps make it consecutive.

Nicely done...
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    It definitely seems like a mechanic that will have some uses.  But my major problem is that i venerally try to play without ever letting the ai get a lot of ap.  It's kinda like spid3y's new yellow.  Very good damage, but only if i lose a character, which i try hard to avoid.

And all of mordo's other stuff is pretty meh (blue still light on damage, black still needs 2 casts to be decent, and his health is lower too.  I need to use him more when next boosted, but i think demi is still over-valuing charged tiles and mordo is weak as a result.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

And all of mordo's other stuff is pretty meh (blue still light on damage, black still needs 2 casts to be decent, and his health is lower too.  I need to use him more when next boosted, but i think demi is still over-valuing charged tiles and mordo is weak as a result.
    Blue does about 7000 for 10 blue. That may not be Remote Control Gauntlets or Photonic Barrage, but it's not light on damage. It's about where it should be for its cost.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    zodiac339 said:

Strange Sights. Mindless Ones. Now there's a "benefit" to their passive generating AP.
    Sentries also, they gather so much AP they don't use.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    zodiac339 said:
    Vhailorx said:

Blue does about 7000 for 10 blue. That may not be Remote Control Gauntlets or Photonic Barrage, but it's not light on damage. It's about where it should be for its cost.
    I disagree. 7k damage for 10ap is 700 damage/ap.  That's barely better than imhb red territory. The current meta for 4-match nukes is much closer to 10k+ with additional beneficial effects (kate blue, old riri red, moonie green, new riri red, iron fist black).

Mordo still hits noticeably softer than his peers.  And now he is squishy too.  Clearly the design team thinks that charged tiles make up for the gap.  I think they are wrong.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    zodiac339 said:

Sentries also, they gather so much AP they don't use.
    Good call, especially since the sub with the Sentries is the most annoying in that event. Mordo might make that a little less annoying now. Might have to pair him with Switch next time it rolls around and see how they tear things up. Although with the tile moving/destroying Sentries, Switch may not be as effective as a purple battery for Mordo as I'm hoping. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've gone back on my previous statements, I like him at 5/3/5. Black is completely useless at anything lower than 5, so I can't run him 3/5/5. Black still is good at self accelerating, and purple is a pretty good. You need to fire black a few times for it to do damage but if you manage the board well and match the charged tiles yourself it's not hard to fire a few times quickly.
  • hopper1979
    Options
    I am going the 3/5/5 route I like his black I just have yet to see a time where you max out at 8 black charges and there are too many characters with better black.  I have been running Chuck/Mordo/Surfer 2 true healers lots of flexability on attacks and good board control.  chalk green, Surfers red and Moros pink cuts through teams.  I wish they did not reduce his hp but that pink hits so hard now I can see why they did.  
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    zodiac339 said:
    Vhailorx said:

I tend to agree. The recent increase in damage for his blue power was great, and now it's at a pretty fair number when you consider it's other effects.
    You have to place a certain 'value' upon changing 3 of the enemy's strongest color tiles to charged black tiles (yes, the Dev team may over-value this too often).
    VB of Valtorr not only diminishes the enemy teams' potential to build up powers in their strongest color, but it also should be played so that it may accelerate your own black accumulation. 
    Of course it could charge black tiles that the enemy gets too, but this is the case with most powers involving charged tiles.

Separately, I've been using Mordo as a test run in the FIrst Avenger PvP (Steve Rogers), and it has been hilarious use Power with Purpose as soon as enemy Cap has enough red or blue to throw his shield.
    Sorry Steve, but here's some damage to go with your AP reduction. Oh, and my friend Carol here loves grabbing all these charged black tiles, and using the occasional yellow power to keep my Steve's shields flying into your face. 
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Must say that i enjoy Mordo since his rework. And especially now when he is boosted. Not sure who to pair him with tho. Any suggestions? :)
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anyone who uses black or likes charged tiles. Carol, Hobo and Thor spring to mind. I haven't tried him out myself yet, but I'm leaning towards either a Cage/Fist or Carol/Medusa pair to see what he can do.