**** Mordo (Master of the Mystic Arts) **** Updated (8/7/17)

Comments

• Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    So I went ahead and made some videos with mordo. Like I used him in the latest run of the hulk to feed av black.but here is one with Maxpun  https://youtu.be/Q8beP2LdnhE
    @OneLastGambit
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Try hawkguy mordo and cloak. Very fast team and you'll be hitting that aoe all the time 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Just champed mordo in anticipation of his run as the featured character in venom bomb.  

First impression is that i want my iso back.  Champed, boosted mordo was less impressive than level 70 boosted spiderewoman or riri.

His damage numbers are weak.  8.5k for 7 black, 12k for 10 blue.  Those are basically unboosted damage numbers for newer 4*s.  I would straight up rather use carol's black for 8ap than mordo's for 7ap even when mordo is boosted and carol isnt.  

He also has terrible internal synergy.  Using his black and blue to charge up a heavy aoe attack from his black costs 24 ap.  And does about 21k single target damage, 11k aoe, and causes a bit of boardshake.  With 24ap iceman can do 16k single target, stun one enemy for 4 turns, and do 10-16k aoe.  For just 20ap peggy can go 28k single target damage and stun 2 enemies for 3 turns.  

And his powers are app especually **** at 3 covers, so using purple to fuel black or blue is pretty difficult.

I hope i am missing something here, and i definitely need more experimentation to reach any conclusions, but i am very disappointed on first impression.  He may be going with eddie brock venom into the "don't even bother to use when champed pile."
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    With 24ap iceman can do 16k single target, stun one enemy for 4 turns, and do 10-16k aoe.  For just 20ap peggy can go 28k single target damage and stun 2 enemies for 3 turns.  

While I don't disagree that Mordo seems a bit disappointing, those are some pretty brutal comparisons. How many characters stack up well against Ice-Man's AoE output?

He and Eddie do seem to have a lot in common, namely, that their best ability is merely fine, and the other two are pretty underwhelming. I think Eddie is still worse, given that his Black is actually actively detrimental in a lot of cases (and even at its best hardly does anything you'd actively want) while Power With Purpose is merely a low-impact power. And I think Staff is better than Symbiotic Fury in nearly any circumstance. So he's probably not as bad as Venom.

3/5/5 as a Black battery for someone else? Don't know offhand if there's another 4* out there that desperately needs Black AP and can't get enough on their own. Punisher or Moon Knight? /shrug
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Sure, i cherrypicked those comparisons, but his damage output stacks up poorly compared to riri.  And spiderwoman's red is probably better than double casting his black in terms of single targrt and aoe damage (with stun replacing charged tile creation).  Those aren't exactly powerhouse 4*s.

And using him 3/5/5 as a black battery isnt terrible (it's what intend to do with him starting tomorrow), but c&d exist now.  So who would ever use mordo as a source of black?!

Demi pretty consistently over values charged tiles. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Vhailorx said:
    And using him 3/5/5 as a black battery isnt terrible (it's what intend to do with him starting tomorrow), but c&d exist now.  So who would ever use mordo as a source of black?!

Demi pretty consistently over values charged tiles. 
    You could use them both ;)

I don't disagree (poor Ragnarok), though Mordo is their first character who creates Charged tiles that have a chance to actually match immediately, so I think it's fair to cost those a little higher than previous charged tile powers. When Vaulting Boots generates 7 Black AP all by itself his self synergy seems a little better.

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I use him a lot actually. I realize he isn't the best, but I think he's kinda fun. He's just good for making charged tiles, so I try to never get the AOE condition. He can be pretty fast if you're lucky and constantly matching the charged tiles. I run him 5/5/3, mostly ignoring his purple. 
    Probably pairs well with coulson since you're firing powers a lot and it's clear whose purple and blue to use. 
    I was running him, Bl4de and Antman in simulator. Nothing special about that team but I think he's decent on any team that doesn't have a better black or blue ability. And in pve I'm using 3fist and 4cyclops to generate black, since he's boosted and tanking 
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    I've had a similar experience, Stray. I've been running 5/5/3 Mordo with Switch and 3Fist just to pump out as much black for him to use as possible for this Venom Bomb event. Once the board starts filling with his charged tiles, there's a lot of options for him and it's really fun to decide what to do next. I imagine once I get C&D fully covered they may end up making a pretty good team. 
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mordo/IF/SWitch has been fun for me too. Very satisfying firing Mordo blue then IF purple for a lovely charged cascade.
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Well, he does seem like a waste of iso but thanks to vaulting i'm about to champ him and never worry again about extra covers. There's always hope for a buff i guess...
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Due to some luck, my desire to avoid wasting 4*s covers, and my plans to open my LL hoard in the near future, I'm going to champ Mordo in a couple days.  I hope this isn't a waste.  Could someone please explain a good team with him?  I've heard of IF and Switch to generate tons of black, but is that all?

• Jaedenkaal
    His powers are fairly cheap and do accelerate themselves to a degree, he could work well on a team with Coulson and/or Nova
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    I was pleasant surprise with him, trying champed and boosted for the fisrt time in Deadpool vs sub 1. IM40+Mordo and Cyclops or Thing for full rainbow. Fast initial clear. 
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mordo's actually pretty fun when boosted. Two thumbs up.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    mexus said:
    mpqr7 said:
    But so is everyone else. :)
    I'm not sure everyone is fun when boosted. I'm pretty sure Agent Venom still falls in the "can we just not" category. I remain in the camp that sees no boost in damage being worth the AP management mini game to avoid Alien Weakness. I must admit, though, that the last  time he was required (The Hulk story?), it was fun to watch Alien Weakness kill him off on my 4th clear.
    Mordo, however, does have some nice damage going on, including without boosts, and I'm well enough pleased that he's my next 4* on the Champ queue (probably followed by the archived heroes who've been waiting around at 13 covers).
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agent Venom is pretty good when boosted. Cheap abilities that hit hard. Used him against Peggy during to good effect.

Mordo is my next champion too. As soon as I get enough ISO. 50k to go...
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Agent Venom and Mordo are probably the worst two in tokens and both are very usable when boosted. I used him over Peggy in a lot of clears when they were both boosted. Mordo boosted is definitely a fun character as well, I ran him with boosted Star-Lord and essential Luke to clear the last event and it was a blast. Once he gets enough AP to fire his blue or black it's never too long until you're firing off black very often. 
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    zodiac339 said:
    mexus said:
    mpqr7 said:
    I'm not sure everyone is fun when boosted. I'm pretty sure Agent Venom still falls in the "can we just not" category. I remain in the camp that sees no boost in damage being worth the AP management mini game to avoid Alien Weakness. I must admit, though, that the last  time he was required (The Hulk story?), it was fun to watch Alien Weakness kill him off on my 4th clear.
    Mordo, however, does have some nice damage going on, including without boosts, and I'm well enough pleased that he's my next 4* on the Champ queue (probably followed by the archived heroes who've been waiting around at 13 covers).
    Agent Venom is fun partly because of Alien Weakness. Definitely underrated.

I struggle to get a handle on Mordo. I think I may like him better once I get him champed and can respec him and experiment. Right now mine's at lvl 150 3/5/4 and doesn't really do anything well.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    granne said:
    zodiac339 said:
    mexus said:
    mpqr7 said:
    Agent Venom is fun partly because of Alien Weakness. Definitely underrated.

I struggle to get a handle on Mordo. I think I may like him better once I get him champed and can respec him and experiment. Right now mine's at lvl 150 3/5/4 and doesn't really do anything well.
    The struggle about Mordo is getting enough black charged tiles to make the second part of Staff of the Living Tribunal really worth it. That's the same problem Invisible Woman faces with Force Field Crush, though at least Vaulting Boost always adds more black charged tiles, unlike Force Bubbles. 14 black and 10 blue gets 4000, then 6000, single damage, followed by 5400 AOE. Cumbersome, not as simple as spending 7 purple to get up to 18 green to use a 7700 Hammer and Anvil with Red Hulk, but it doesn't make Mordo ineffective. (Numbers were looking at around level 282 characters. Results may vary).
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    I think he is better as a battery than a damage dealer.  I have him maxed with cards but no levels in him but I am really reconsidering leveling him after messing with him boosted.  Even with no levels in him his ability to create charged black tiles is great.  I have been running him with a low level Surfer and putting his black towards Surfers black hole, blue goes to whoever needs it.  I really like his blue it is fast and hits reasonably hard for a blue attack plus those charge tiles.  I think he would also pair very well with 4-Thor or 4-Hulk and his black is a decent aoe under the correct conditions.  I think you feed better blacks attacks with his blue and use the aoe occasionally.  I am considering putting him next up on my leveling list because of the low cost of his powers and his solid feeding ability.