**** Mordo (Master of the Mystic Arts) **** Updated (8/7/17)

Options

Comments

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ErikPeter wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    No AP on charge tile destruction is disappointing. Do the devs need some help in writing consistent power descriptions?

This is a much bigger problem. the devs have created a pretty consistent pattern the last year: if a power says it DOESN'T generate AP, then it doesn't. Otherwise, we should expect that it does. Unfortunately, mordo does not follow this pattern.

Yep, they should just say "Shattered" when it generates AP and "Destroyed" when it doesn't, it'd be so helpful (and more concise, not having to say "does not generate AP" all the time).

Why not simply have "collect" and "destroy"? more obvious
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just verified that it's basically (direct damage + charged tile creation) OR (AoE damage + charge tile destruction). Also verifying no AP from destroyed black charged tiles. That's pretty disappointing.

Wow, this makes him seriously under-powered, not even direct damage all the time, and of course no AP generation (yes this was a bit too much). I really don't see any point into bringing him into a fight, not even when buffed, Kate outclasses him completely. He has only one viable team mate which is 4hor, so 5/3/5 is a must, and he is there just to create more charged tiles. He is low mid tier, maybe even bad tier.

Devs have some really bad streaks when creating new chars, we don't need someone Carol or Peggy good, but Riri and now Mordo are seriously flawed. This char is clearly DOA.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    I just verified that it's basically (direct damage + charged tile creation) OR (AoE damage + charge tile destruction). Also verifying no AP from destroyed black charged tiles. That's pretty disappointing.

Wow, this makes him seriously under-powered, not even direct damage all the time, and of course no AP generation (yes this was a bit too much). I really don't see any point into bringing him into a fight, not even when buffed, Kate outclasses him completely. He has only one viable team mate which is 4hor, so 5/3/5 is a must, and he is there just to create more charged tiles. He is low mid tier, maybe even bad tier.

Devs have some really bad streaks when creating new chars, we don't need someone Carol or Peggy good, but Riri and now Mordo are seriously flawed. This char is clearly DOA.

I wouldn't say underpowered but now his usefulness is really narrow. I think 5/3/5 is the only real option. You can use him to self sustains his black with his black and his purple. The extra blue you get from his purple can be used as a decent battery, really. I imagine he wouldn't be a bad mix with Iceman (but who isn't?). Might also be a good mix with War Machine.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2017
    Options
    They alluded to it in the piecing together article, but he doesn't really have any synergy with other characters. But how could he? His powers are so straightforward and simple that they don't really help others. Without other black charge tile creators he will play solo pretty much.
    I think he could be useful on any team as long as theres not a better black user. Its quick and fuels itself so it could be fun and useful. Blue is not the best but its not the worst either. If he tanks or is boosted, I would use Cyclops to generate black to fire that all day. He'd pair well enough with the best characters, doesn't always help but doesn't get in the way either.

Solid middle tier is not bad. Mordo suffers like Riri did by having our original interpretation of their powers being better than the final version.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Worth mentioning that because Vaulting Boots converts tiles that may not be black into black charged tiles, it can actually make matches with those newly-formed tiles, which is something that previous Charged tile creators have not been able to do.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    He seems similar to Scarlet Witch and Cho where two powers feed into a power that's not so awesome. 3/5/5 and make him a battery?
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ruinate wrote:
    He seems similar to Scarlet Witch and Cho where two powers feed into a power that's not so awesome. 3/5/5 and make him a battery?
    The difference is, those two are good batteries... 10 blue AP to make 3 black charged tiles isn't great in terms of speed.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I wonder if looking at his black as being all about the AoE damage is a mistake. Just noodling around with him a bit, I notice that once he gets going, he tends to sometimes be able to use his black power every single turn, which adds up. You use it, it generates charged tiles, and matching just one of those nets you back 5 black AP, or the majority of the cost of the power you just used.

I'd kinda like to pair him with Iron Fist and just pound on people over and over again.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My Mordo is 2/3/1 and I genuinely don't know what to do with him. He's not bad, but he isn't particularly good either. I'm really at a loss as to who to pair him with and how. I want to like him, but he really isn't leaving an impact.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think 5/3/5 is the only real option.

I was thinking 3/5/5 for maximum black production, and team him with someone who has a better black. As an option, at least.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Spiritclaw wrote:

I was thinking 3/5/5 for maximum black production, and team him with someone who has a better black. As an option, at least.

The problem with that is his blue is really, really mediocre damage:ap wise and there's so many great blues in the 4-star world. I feel like his black and purple do a good job of feeding his own black (which isn't horrible) and you can let someone with a better blue use the blue you generate from his purple. I do think he's going to be useful, just not exceptional. It'd be interesting to see how his blue works in practice because I could be wrong.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spiritclaw wrote:

The problem with that is his blue is really, really mediocre damage:ap wise and there's so many great blues in the 4-star world. I feel like his black and purple do a good job of feeding his own black (which isn't horrible) and you can let someone with a better blue use the blue you generate from his purple. I do think he's going to be useful, just not exceptional. It'd be interesting to see how his blue works in practice because I could be wrong.

For comparison, his damage/AP is pretty close to Out of Bullets or Holding Back/Berserker Fury. I guess its up to you if that's a favourable comparison or not.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hmmm which other 4* is likely to be lower in their blue skill but higher in black and has no decent 4* battery....

Why not team him with a 553 punisher....I imagine that's a pretty favourable combo if you use mordo as a battery for Frank.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hmmm which other 4* is likely to be lower in their blue skill but higher in black and has no decent 4* battery....

Why not team him with a 553 punisher....I imagine that's a pretty favourable combo if you use mordo as a battery for Frank.

I like this idea. I'll try this.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anon wrote:

I like this idea. I'll try this.

I don't think they will play that great together.

Punisher does have other requirements for unleashing his combo, his problem is not getting black (he just needs 7 black). The problem of Punisher is, killing someone, then firing blue and green, and finally black as fast as possible. But black is the easiest one of those to achieve.

Then on top of that, they overlap in two colors, and most of the time you will want to use Punisher's powers, so basically you are bringing Mordo just for his purple. Much better partners out there in my opinion.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Okay so I just champed mordo. He is boosted right now and his damage right now (with 5 covers in black and blue). Black: 6493 OR 1495 per black charged. Blue: 9647. When I was leveling him up I was running the team im40/maxpun/mordo (with mordo being 3/5/5) this actually worked quite well. It wasn't hard at all to have at least 14 black. A lot of times I had 20+ before getting the green to stun with maxpun. I am dissapointed that the or was between the damage parts and not between the create tiles and aoe damage, but if I save 14 black ap and have no other charged tiles it does 10978 single target 4485 to everyone else which is decent but I feel like it should do more because he is boosted. I dunno I might be greedy.
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Okay so I just champed mordo. He is boosted right now and his damage right now (with 5 covers in black and blue). Black: 6493 OR 1495 per black charged. Blue: 9647. When I was leveling him up I was running the team im40/maxpun/mordo (with mordo being 3/5/5) this actually worked quite well. It wasn't hard at all to have at least 14 black. A lot of times I had 20+ before getting the green to stun with maxpun. I am dissapointed that the or was between the damage parts and not between the create tiles and aoe damage, but if I save 14 black ap and have no other charged tiles it does 10978 single target 4485 to everyone else which is decent but I feel like it should do more because he is boosted. I dunno I might be greedy.

Heyyy nice to know my speculative guess about who he could work with was a good idea.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Heyyy nice to know my speculative guess about who he could work with was a good idea.
    Yeah I did see your post and try it and yeah it did work well. Also further messing around with him I wish the # charged tiles to cause AOE stayed at 5 at all levels. Then I could black black deal a decent amount of damage then decide to go for another black for AOE or match and collect more black for fast hits. That or remove the destroyed part of the AOE. It makes the AOE part almost unfavorable.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hey, glad to someone that agrees that the AoE is not the point to the power too icon_e_biggrin.gif

It's like a nice drawback, if that makes any sense. The AoE is sub-optimal but better than an actual drawback to the power, where it hurts you or something.
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Yeah I did see your post and try it and yeah it did work well. Also further messing around with him I wish the # charged tiles to cause AOE stayed at 5 at all levels. Then I could black black deal a decent amount of damage then decide to go for another black for AOE or match and collect more black for fast hits. That or remove the destroyed part of the AOE. It makes the AOE part almost unfavorable.

Yeah removing the charge tiles without collecting is a big drawback for me. It should be that he collects them when destroying them - OR - Damage bonus from the charge tiles means that he does not destroy them. AOE with the former no AOE with the latter. That small change pushes him into very usable territory. Although he overlaps with punisher I really think theres good synergy since you can use both mordo blue and pink to power punisher black.