Super Lightning Rounds! *Updated

Options

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Two thumbs down. More effort for less even rewards. #Makelightningroundsgreatagain
  • Ouroboros9999
    Ouroboros9999 Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm probably out of the loop, but there seems to be no 2 star.png covers in LRs anymore unless you use a token. Is that just me or RNG hammering me again?
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I suspect these new Super lightening rounds may have been just an excuse to rerun the Fight and Flight tokens again, to lure out the whales and impulse buys once they saw the response to Carol.

That’s not me being cynical, just appreciatively practical. I bought a daily deal on it (…. but it was Sighlocke)
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So far I've made it to a first place and a second place, and pulled one 4* Capt Marvel from the tokens, so I can't complain.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,566 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm probably out of the loop, but there seems to be no 2 star.png covers in LRs anymore unless you use a token. Is that just me or RNG hammering me again?

They've become incredibly rare since January, about 4% chance now compared to 30% last year.
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=57064&p=622331#p622331 and plenty more for statistics.
  • roberts_2
    roberts_2 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Big meh pvp. Waste of chars.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    A nice idea that need a lot of work

Pretty much MPQ all over.

First implementation is pretty much always terrible and you've successfully lower our expectations to the extent that there isn't outrage there is just grim acceptance that it need a lot of work most of which should really have been spotted up front.

Once again think about involving some high end players in even a modicum of development discussion / play testing and you'd have a really decent product here.
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I agree that this was a miss. The best part about the old lightning rounds was that I could jump on at the start, play for 10-15 minutes against the seed teams and end up with a bit of iso and hopefully some 2-stars. That's all gone away. Now my 3* roster is competing against a bunch of people with champed 4s and 5s for an elite token or two (or more likely 70 iso). No way I can hope to place 1-2.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    alphabeta wrote:
    A nice idea that need a lot of work

Pretty much MPQ all over.

First implementation is pretty much always terrible and you've successfully lower our expectations to the extent that there isn't outrage there is just grim acceptance that it need a lot of work most of which should really have been spotted up front.

Once again think about involving some high end players in even a modicum of development discussion / play testing and you'd have a really decent product here.

Except that this isn't the first implementation of it. Not by about 2 years or so. There are people that have actually asked for this format to come back.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,566 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Second impression after 3 rounds and 26 battles:
    - 24 star.png rewards and two 250 ISO
    - battles take 2x to 3x times longer, so I never got to defeat all seed teams in any LR (almost always possible in old LR)
    - less points per battle means it's difficult to get to 250, let alone 500
    - unless you have a bunch of champed 4 star.png or 5 star.png, you'll just get crushed by the big fish(es) in your tiny pond. Last LR had me competing against 17 players with at least 1 champed 5 star.png

It does have potential, but this is definitely not for me. Hope they bring back the normal LR, maybe alongside this new one.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Does anyone remember what made the original 20-bracket ones so good? I remember just about everyone loving them, including me, but it's been so long I can't remember exactly what the difference is.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Puce Moose wrote:
    Does anyone remember what made the original 2-bracket ones so good? I remember just about everyone loving them, including me, but it's been so long I can't remember exactly what the difference is.
    Anniversary tokens replaced all standards
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah the rewards have been underwhelming thus far. Only played 1 LR but wondering if it's worth the effort. This seems worse compared to regular LR as we dont get seed teams and the points dont match progression milestones. Placement rewards with Elite tokens is also a downgrade compared to regular Heroic tokens especially since more effort is needed to place well (in my limited 1 round experience icon_e_biggrin.gif). I was excited about playing it but now... meh...
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got enough ISO from the first SLR to champion She-Thor, so that was nice (granted, we're only talking about 1000 or so at that point).

Other 'n that, there's nothing going on with these aside from the 20-man brackets that makes them preferable to regular LRs at all.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Are there supposed to be like 15 seed teams? I've never gotten seed teams in regular lr's...
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Are there supposed to be like 15 seed teams? I've never gotten seed teams in regular lr's...

The key is to join the second the event starts - then you'll be guaranteed at least three seed teams, and usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 8+. If you're more than 90 seconds late in joining the round, you have a good chance to not get even a single seed team. However, sometimes you'll luck out and get a fresh bracket (I guess), and get at least three seed teams, regardless of when you join.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Puce Moose wrote:

The key is to join the second the event starts - then you'll be guaranteed at least three seed teams, and usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 8+. If you're more than 90 seconds late in joining the round, you have a good chance to not get even a single seed team. However, sometimes you'll luck out and get a fresh bracket (I guess), and get at least three seed teams, regardless of when you join.

In this one I literally spent 15 minutes and had nothing but seed teams. I gave up, fighting 3 match games for 15 points is lame.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Puce Moose wrote:

In this one I literally spent 15 minutes and had nothing but seed teams. I gave up, fighting 3 match games for 15 points is lame.

Are you actually complaining about getting lots of seed teams? Because. . . stop. In the current matchmaking, it's not like there are a lot of juicy 40+ point targets for you to hit. The points in this are completely Borked.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've played in three of these so far, and I've found them pretty fun. I even came in first in one of them, which is the first time I've come in first for any lightning round. Usually it's not an option, since I don't have a 5* roster. Got some elite tokens in the other ones, which is also nice.

It seems like it might get a little tedious by the time I get to Thursday though. Maybe in the future each day could be a different 4*?
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So far Ive finished first 3 times and t6 twice. Im 6/8 for gold pulls but all were 3*. I like that this is different but I really prefer the regular LR.