Cyclops (Classic) Limited Vault

124»

Comments

• DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor

I think it's worth it. Not for the change from 1 -> 2 covers. It won't impact you immediately.

But, you're going to need at least 2 more blue covers, at minimum, if you want to champion him. (And he's well worth championing, in my opinion) This significantly reduces the risk of wasted covers prior to championing.

Especially when you consider that his last PvP progression reward was Blue, so it'll be a while before that lower-hanging fruit comes around.

When the cover is (1) the lowest covered color on a character with a very imbalanced distribution, and (2) a character that you're probably interested in championing, I think the vault is worth it if you have the HP to spare.

Thanks, Stax. DEFINITELY going to champ him. (Well... I champ everyone, truth be told. Hate hate hate wasting covers.....)

I see your point, and hadn't thought of it -- adding another cover now reduces the odds that I'll pull an unusable red cover before getting the two additional covers needed to champ him. Now I'm leaning towards yes....
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    We get them free with progression in pve and PvP more than one a week , and it's every bit as random as that vault. No shields needed in pve either, so that hurts that 1k value. At most I'll spend 450 in PvP, so that's less than half for a 4* cover. I also get every reward leading up to that, including 10cp, which is absent from these vaults. Oh, and I get 2* just for winning a match now and then, completely free. Also hurting the value is the amount of 4* there are with no end in sight to how many are added.
    Maybe the problem is that these vaults are "one size fits all" when they shouldn't be. Have security clearance level vaults with level appropriate items and prices. Low Shield level people have tier level items that appeal to them, a mix of current and near future needs, priced to reflect that. Take that premise and extend it up, increasing price and rewards to reflect where the player is roster wise in the game and the amount of HP they can accrue, and are willing to spend should they be short and want a vault.
    If I'm level 75, deep into 4*, I don't want see more 4* vaults, I see enough of those covers through the course of the game. If I'm seeing a 5*, a couple 4* covers, some Iso, and maybe healthpacks for 5k or 6k...hmmm something to consider. My price, and items, increased based in my playing experience and both are in line with where I am in game.

They *do* scale in value, just more invisibly than you notice. They scale in value because HP is worth less the further into the game you are. For a 2* player, spending several thousand HP on a vault is a huge splurge that costs them multiple roster slots. For someone who has most of the characters rostered but isn't really competing, he's giving up several hops or maybe boosts for a Crash. For an advanced player who has HP coming out their ears, it costs them basically nothing. For a whale who buys thousands upon thousands of HP only because buy clubs are the fastest way to get CP, it's actually pure positive value, since the only other thing they have to do with that HP is reset a bigger vault so they can buy it out again.

You can't compare the price of items in a vault to the stuff you get via regular play, at least not directly, not unless regular play satisfies demand for the items (which it does not). There's a hard limit to the amount of tokens with a chance at a 4* you can get per day without spending HP. HP gives you access to something you can't get through regular play: a way to pass that limit.

Never buy boosts, especially not for a crash.

You can lose on the board alone.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    My Cyke was 3/5/3 when the vault arrived. I decided that I would pass. But then, a Classic pull netted me a Blue Cyke, making it 3/5/4. I thought hard for 2 days. Then I decided that I have hoarded enough CP and ISO to make the pull. I cleared the vault, immediately champ him to make it 5/3/5.

And, as soon as I took him for a spin in Heroics and Sharp Dressed, I have no regret.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Wonko33 wrote:
    Rick OShay wrote:
    Wonko33 wrote:
    bought

Had not bought one in weeks, just a matter of being the right cover for me - I would have gotten X-23 if it had not been green last week too.

Single pull was nice, I probably would have gone for it a few weeks even if the covers were not crucial, as it is now I only go for the 20X when I really need it.
    Curious if you bought it outright at 3600HP? Because IF I had 4000HP I would have risked that 400 difference on the case that I could have hit it during within the first 3 attempts of 1000 each. Hit Cyc blue early, stop and save HP. Get it on the 4th spend of 1000HP, then that's just a 400 tax for being unlucky the first 3 attempts.
    Of course, I know my luck... so I would need to let my sons do the pulls.

bought it straight up - it's like a 50-50 chance of having to pay 400 more so I did not bother

It's a 1 in 4 chance of being 400 more in this case.

Just so people know, the average cost to get the 4* by pulling in batches of 5 is 2500 HP.

You get at this number by multiplying the odds of pulling it by the cost of pulling it, ie:

1/4*1000+1/4*2000+1/4*3000+1/4*4000
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Took me 3 pulls but my formerly 4/4/4 is now ready for champing. Now I just need to save up a bit more ISO.

This was the first vault I bought anything in since they started doing the limited vaults although I did one of the single pulls on one of the first vaults. The value might not be right for some but for the right cover it certainly seems worth it. Particularly for a top tier character like 4clops.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    I tried a 5 Pull got the token and Changed him from 5/4/4 to 5/3/5
    not ready to Champ Him (13 3's left after Deadpool who is 166)
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Gonna crowdsource this:

My Cyke is at 5-4-1. I use him a lot, but his blue is.... yeah.

I can use the 3 3* covers in my vault (Witch, Blade, Panther) for champing.

I've got enough to buy out the vault and still have a couple thousand HP left.

I ask the crowd: Is it worth it to get that blue?

(I'm leaning towards no, but Cyke is such a great char that I wanted to be sure.)

I'm leaning towards no. Do you have a roster you can link? I think it depends on that pretty heavily.

That's a good excuse to update my roster.... here you go.

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/DaveR4470/

I'm going with pass. You already have a really strong red/yellow/blue in Thoress. That much CP and that much HP is too much. I'd just make the 6 classic pulls and if you get lucky enough to get a usable Cyclops cover you can buy the vault in 5s.

I snapped since I had some HP burning a hole in my pocket. Got Cyclops on my first 5-pull. No regrets.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    As an update: I pulled the trigger on the vault. Pleased with the decision so far -- 2 blue for Cyclops is a LOT better than one. It's almost double the damage, and turns it into a legitimately usable power instead of just a weak red generator.

DesertTortoise: I'm only spending the HP -- I wouldn't want to spend (and don't have) the CP to buy the last two covers. This was just to accelerate the RNG path towards 13 covers, and to ungimp his blue a bit....