Cyclops (Classic) Limited Vault

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like these vaults. I'd like to see them go down to 3000 HP, but I guess the developer's kids gotta eat. They're the best current value because you know exactly what you're getting and if that's what you want or need - perfect. If it doesn't interest you, wait for a better one to come along.

It's a heckuva lot better than the 40 random pull vaults where you get a LT and a 99.9% chance of 39 two-stars. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    I like these vaults. I'd like to see them go down to 3000 HP, but I guess the developer's kids gotta eat. They're the best current value because you know exactly what you're getting and if that's what you want or need - perfect. If it doesn't interest you, wait for a better one to come along.

It's a heckuva lot better than the 40 random pull vaults where you get a LT and a 99.9% chance of 39 two-stars. icon_rolleyes.gif
    I would like it if the turnover was a bit faster - I don't need a week to decide if I want a Cyclops cover or not (I don't). On the other hand, if the duration was shorter I suppose other players would complain that they didn't have time to scrounge up the HP Before the vault ended...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    gravel wrote:
    If clearing the vault was 1.5k, it'd be a consideration now and then for the handful I don't have covered. 3.6k is laughable.
    If clearing the vault was 1.5k, someone would be out of a job, or the game wouldn't be around much longer. It used to cost 2.5k to buy a specific 4* cover. A specific 4* with all the extras for 1k less. Also, with champion character rewards, shield intercepts, SCLs, etc., it is much easier to make HP now. If you need the 4* cover, it isn't a terrible price. If you don't, you don't have to buy it.

"In my day, we had to walk 5 miles one way, in the snow, with plastic bags on our feet to get to school!".

Who cares what used to be, it's what it is now. 4* covers aren't worth what they were and charging like they are premium isn't going to work.

Exactly. It used to cost 2.5K for a 4* cover, there also used to be 20 or less 4*s. I also believe that prices was before 5* existed, so they were the rarest covers, they aren't anymore. The game needs to start making 4* more accessible because it's starting to become ridiculous. These vaults seem to be an attempt do that and cash in at the same time. They are putting too much emphasis on the cash in part though...
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    So I'm at 5/3/3 lvl 200 and am contemplating running the 1000HP up to 3 times (can't afford 4 tries...) to attain this cover. I also have a red cover expiring in 9.5 days, and enough CP to buy the 13th cover and Iso of around 700K.
    Important stat, I have only one 4* champ in PX, and 4Cyke has already made a huge difference in earning PvP rewards with my mostly 3* champ roster. I'm mostly a PvE full progression player, and aim for 575 to 800/900 in PvP.
    Is this one of the scenarios where perhaps it's worth it?
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Rick OShay wrote:
    So I'm at 5/3/3 lvl 200 and am contemplating running the 1000HP up to 3 times (can't afford 4 tries...) to attain this cover. I also have a red cover expiring in 9.5 days, and enough CP to buy the 13th cover and Iso of around 700K.
    Important stat, I have only one 4* champ in PX, and 4Cyke has already made a huge difference in earning PvP rewards with my mostly 3* champ roster. I'm mostly a PvE full progression player, and aim for 575 to 800/900 in PvP.
    Is this one of the scenarios where perhaps it's worth it?

Oh man, I'm not sure I'd spend the last of your 3K HP on it AND 120CP. That just seems like entirely too much. I'd probably just open 6 classics and if you get a yellow/blue Cyclops then go for the pulls.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    If these hit 1.5K HP or 2K Hp they'd be easy buys considering the necessity of 4's, for mid-late game and pvp.

Adding a legend or heroics in place of 2's would also tip the scale further

Making them colorless or adding all 3 colors but making it 4k would likely work in their favor too.

Too bad their too interested in artificial scarcity for digital items.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    gravel wrote:
    If clearing the vault was 1.5k, it'd be a consideration now and then for the handful I don't have covered. 3.6k is laughable.
    If clearing the vault was 1.5k, someone would be out of a job, or the game wouldn't be around much longer. It used to cost 2.5k to buy a specific 4* cover. A specific 4* with all the extras for 1k less. Also, with champion character rewards, shield intercepts, SCLs, etc., it is much easier to make HP now. If you need the 4* cover, it isn't a terrible price. If you don't, you don't have to buy it.

"In my day, we had to walk 5 miles one way, in the snow, with plastic bags on our feet to get to school!".

Who cares what used to be, it's what it is now. 4* covers aren't worth what they were and charging like they are premium isn't going to work.

Add a 5* instead of a 4* to that vault and watch the number of purchases sky rocket.

Every week these posts say the same things, most people aren't buying because the value isn't there.

If clearing the vault cost 1.5k, then half the time, people could get it by getting the 10-pack. Surely you agree that 1000HP is too little as an average price, not even counting the other stuff you get along with the cover. As it is now, for people buying the 10-pack, the average person is paying 2k for a 4* plus a bunch of 2*s and maybe some Iso. This is not a bad average price. The actual problem is the high variance, not the actual pricing scheme.

Also, remember that their goal is not to get everyone to buy these. These are intended as a release valve for people with particular needs or excess HP. If they made them too compelling, then people would stop buying Starks for CP at regular price, which makes them a lot more money overall. Sticking a 5* in these things would wreak havoc on competitive play and would start people whining about massive Iso debts again.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2017
    Love these vault threads more than the vaults themselves.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I might've taken a shot, but I'm at 4/3/4. If I got that blue, I'd bet my next 4* draw would be blue as well.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    gravel wrote:

Add a 5* instead of a 4* to that vault and watch the number of purchases sky rocket.

Every week these posts say the same things, most people aren't buying because the value isn't there.

If clearing the vault cost 1.5k, then half the time, people could get it by getting the 10-pack. Surely you agree that 1000HP is too little as an average price, not even counting the other stuff you get along with the cover. As it is now, for people buying the 10-pack, the average person is paying 2k for a 4* plus a bunch of 2*s and maybe some Iso. This is not a bad average price. The actual problem is the high variance, not the actual pricing scheme.

Also, remember that their goal is not to get everyone to buy these. These are intended as a release valve for people with particular needs or excess HP. If they made them too compelling, then people would stop buying Starks for CP at regular price, which makes them a lot more money overall. Sticking a 5* in these things would wreak havoc on competitive play and would start people whining about massive Iso debts again.

We get them free with progression in pve and PvP more than one a week , and it's every bit as random as that vault. No shields needed in pve either, so that hurts that 1k value. At most I'll spend 450 in PvP, so that's less than half for a 4* cover. I also get every reward leading up to that, including 10cp, which is absent from these vaults. Oh, and I get 2* just for winning a match now and then, completely free. Also hurting the value is the amount of 4* there are with no end in sight to how many are added.
    Maybe the problem is that these vaults are "one size fits all" when they shouldn't be. Have security clearance level vaults with level appropriate items and prices. Low Shield level people have tier level items that appeal to them, a mix of current and near future needs, priced to reflect that. Take that premise and extend it up, increasing price and rewards to reflect where the player is roster wise in the game and the amount of HP they can accrue, and are willing to spend should they be short and want a vault.
    If I'm level 75, deep into 4*, I don't want see more 4* vaults, I see enough of those covers through the course of the game. If I'm seeing a 5*, a couple 4* covers, some Iso, and maybe healthpacks for 5k or 6k...hmmm something to consider. My price, and items, increased based in my playing experience and both are in line with where I am in game.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would consider a 5-pack _if_ they reduced the price by half. If you use the daily deals, you pay 100 per individual pull. I know you get taxed extra HP for buying in bulk (which is exactly opposite how most bundling packages work), but still, paying 2x is atrocious. Your odds of success are not any better. In fact, they are exactly the same as a regular vault (5%).

TLDR:

Same odds, twice the price. No thanks.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    gravel wrote:

i don't Know about that, if it was 1.5 k to clear vault i would buy it. as of now no bite, so looks like someone is out of a job? besides it is once per week, the whole week no other "good values" until next week.

if they had 1.5K to clear(remove the 2 star ****, and add 5000 iso to make it 10) and like 200 to reset, and an option to go half for 800 HP i might drop some cash to try and get me a fully covered cyclops.

man these vaults are getting worse and worse
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    bought

Had not bought one in weeks, just a matter of being the right cover for me - I would have gotten X-23 if it had not been green last week too.

Single pull was nice, I probably would have gone for it a few weeks even if the covers were not crucial, as it is now I only go for the 20X when I really need it.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Wonko33 wrote:
    bought

Had not bought one in weeks, just a matter of being the right cover for me - I would have gotten X-23 if it had not been green last week too.

Single pull was nice, I probably would have gone for it a few weeks even if the covers were not crucial, as it is now I only go for the 20X when I really need it.
    Curious if you bought it outright at 3600HP? Because IF I had 4000HP I would have risked that 400 difference on the case that I could have hit it during within the first 3 attempts of 1000 each. Hit Cyc blue early, stop and save HP. Get it on the 4th spend of 1000HP, then that's just a 400 tax for being unlucky the first 3 attempts.
    Of course, I know my luck... so I would need to let my sons do the pulls.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    I spent 120 commandpointsbig.png to champ Cyclops maybe a month ago when I had a cover sitting in the queue (he is fantastic, BTW). I could have used either a yellow or blue cover, so this vault would have been a definite buy for me if it had come up earlier.

However, that's basically the only scenario in which I can see myself buying a vault with the current prices - a needed cover for a high-end 4* that I am close to finishing. That requires a combination of luck and timing. When they had the single pulls, I was buying one every day.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I bought a 5 pack, first time buying anything but the singles in one of these vaults. I just wanted the 3hanos green and I have an excess of hp so I took a shot and got it (and 4 2*s). icon_lol.gif
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    We get them free with progression in pve and PvP more than one a week , and it's every bit as random as that vault. No shields needed in pve either, so that hurts that 1k value. At most I'll spend 450 in PvP, so that's less than half for a 4* cover. I also get every reward leading up to that, including 10cp, which is absent from these vaults. Oh, and I get 2* just for winning a match now and then, completely free. Also hurting the value is the amount of 4* there are with no end in sight to how many are added.
    Maybe the problem is that these vaults are "one size fits all" when they shouldn't be. Have security clearance level vaults with level appropriate items and prices. Low Shield level people have tier level items that appeal to them, a mix of current and near future needs, priced to reflect that. Take that premise and extend it up, increasing price and rewards to reflect where the player is roster wise in the game and the amount of HP they can accrue, and are willing to spend should they be short and want a vault.
    If I'm level 75, deep into 4*, I don't want see more 4* vaults, I see enough of those covers through the course of the game. If I'm seeing a 5*, a couple 4* covers, some Iso, and maybe healthpacks for 5k or 6k...hmmm something to consider. My price, and items, increased based in my playing experience and both are in line with where I am in game.

They *do* scale in value, just more invisibly than you notice. They scale in value because HP is worth less the further into the game you are. For a 2* player, spending several thousand HP on a vault is a huge splurge that costs them multiple roster slots. For someone who has most of the characters rostered but isn't really competing, he's giving up several hops or maybe boosts for a Crash. For an advanced player who has HP coming out their ears, it costs them basically nothing. For a whale who buys thousands upon thousands of HP only because buy clubs are the fastest way to get CP, it's actually pure positive value, since the only other thing they have to do with that HP is reset a bigger vault so they can buy it out again.

You can't compare the price of items in a vault to the stuff you get via regular play, at least not directly, not unless regular play satisfies demand for the items (which it does not). There's a hard limit to the amount of tokens with a chance at a 4* you can get per day without spending HP. HP gives you access to something you can't get through regular play: a way to pass that limit.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Gonna crowdsource this:

My Cyke is at 5-4-1. I use him a lot, but his blue is.... yeah.

I can use the 3 3* covers in my vault (Witch, Blade, Panther) for champing.

I've got enough to buy out the vault and still have a couple thousand HP left.

I ask the crowd: Is it worth it to get that blue?

(I'm leaning towards no, but Cyke is such a great char that I wanted to be sure.)
  • DesertTortoise
    Rick OShay wrote:
    Curious if you bought it outright at 3600HP? Because IF I had 4000HP I would have risked that 400 difference on the case that I could have hit it during within the first 3 attempts of 1000 each. Hit Cyc blue early, stop and save HP. Get it on the 4th spend of 1000HP, then that's just a 400 tax for being unlucky the first 3 attempts.
    Of course, I know my luck... so I would need to let my sons do the pulls.

If I run myself into a blue or yellow Cyclops cover this week, I'm buying out the vault. My 3-stars aren't useful with my current vault (a Mystique champ level would get me my 13th Iceman and a Thanos black would be his 13th, all others are just champ levels) but if there we two or three really useful ones I'd probably spend the 3.6K. Since that's not the case, I'm going to be buying the 5 pack and hope to save some HP.
  • DesertTortoise
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Gonna crowdsource this:

My Cyke is at 5-4-1. I use him a lot, but his blue is.... yeah.

I can use the 3 3* covers in my vault (Witch, Blade, Panther) for champing.

I've got enough to buy out the vault and still have a couple thousand HP left.

I ask the crowd: Is it worth it to get that blue?

(I'm leaning towards no, but Cyke is such a great char that I wanted to be sure.)

I'm leaning towards no. Do you have a roster you can link? I think it depends on that pretty heavily.