Known Issue: The Hulk (Bruce Banner) Crash *Updated (1/4)

Options

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Just a quick update for everyone. The crash should now be fixed in the R116 patch, and The Hulk's The Other Guy should be re-enabled now.
    Regarding the token of appreciate, it will unfortunately not be given out in today's patch. As of right now, I have not received an official announcement to pass along yet.

Thank you all for being patient!
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    Just a quick update for everyone. The crash should now be fixed in the R116 patch, and The Hulk's The Other Guy should be re-enabled now.
    Regarding the token of appreciate, it will unfortunately not be given out in today's patch. As of right now, I have not received an official announcement to pass along yet.

Thank you all for being patient!

Thanks for the info, but BOO for the content.
  • Dookeydoodoo
    Options
    My bet is one or two elites. Would love a legendary but that would prolly upset more people than make happy. It would make me happy though!
  • keitterman
    keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Was the compensation ever passed out? It's been like, 2 weeks since the patch was released.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    keitterman wrote:
    Was the compensation ever passed out? It's been like, 2 weeks since the patch was released.
    I haven't seen any compensation. With D3 out of the office for the week (except for customer support), we can't ask anyone for official confirmation until next week.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think they gave out a Naughty or Nice vault token as compensation. I skip the popups pretty quickly, but thats what I saw on my account
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My mobile account definitely received it. My Steam account definitely did not.

Customer service said:
    In order for players to receive compensation, they must meet all following criteria:

- The player must have The Hulk (Bruce Banner) on their Roster with at least one level in their The Other Guy (Purple) power.
    - The player must have used The Hulk (Bruce Banner) in at least one match during the time frame of this issue.

Except that isn't what the original post in this thread said, and even after Brigby's edit, that STILL isn't what it says - it says "you have to have him rostered, and have played a match with him." No mention of timeframe requirements.

TL;DR: I have a really dim view on how this has unfolded.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:

Customer service said:
    In order for players to receive compensation, they must meet all following criteria:

- The player must have The Hulk (Bruce Banner) on their Roster with at least one level in their The Other Guy (Purple) power.
    - The player must have used The Hulk (Bruce Banner) in at least one match during the time frame of this issue.

Except that isn't what the original post in this thread said, and even after Brigby's edit, that STILL isn't what it says - it says "you have to have him rostered, and have played a match with him." No mention of timeframe requirements.

If the compensation was just a Naughty or Nice token, meh, whatever. But they announced the bug like the day the patch hit, so I just didn't use him at all. It seems a really big deal was made about this compensation, especially for an issue with a character nobody really uses. If it was IM40'S yellow, people would be up in arms about it. But seriously, who uses 5* Hulk?

Anyhow, the "you must have played with him during the time his power was broken" bit is kind of ****, and poor communication between whoever made the rules for this compensation and the Reds here.
  • DFiPL
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:

Customer service said:

If the compensation was just a Naughty or Nice token, meh, whatever. But they announced the bug like the day the patch hit, so I just didn't use him at all. It seems a really big deal was made about this compensation, especially for an issue with a character nobody really uses. If it was IM40'S yellow, people would be up in arms about it. But seriously, who uses 5* Hulk?

Anyhow, the "you must have played with him during the time his power was broken" bit is kind of ****, and poor communication between whoever made the rules for this compensation and the Reds here.

The token itself isn't the end of the world. Coin flip at best it would have been anything better than a 2*.

It's the communication. What the player base was told is not how things ultimately unfolded. The initial communication was, "if you have this power we're disabling, there will be a token of our appreciation." Then that changed, but that change wasn't clearly communicated. Or perhaps it was a miscommunication in the first place, but again, that clarification wasn't clearly communicated - witness the vague nature of "you have to have used him" in Brigby's edit versus "you have to have used him while he was broken" in the missive from customer service.

Even in-game, there was no clear push text communicating what CS told me today. Just randomly 'oh hey Android got a token for it they must have pushed that I wonder if Steam got its token yet' and...never did, and told today it never would.

THAT'S my issue. If something had to go sideways this holiday, I'd rather it have been this than any of the holiday events, so there's that, but it's still poor communication.

And, uh, the bit where Customer Service read my initial "hey, the Community Manager said there's a crash-causing bug, that there would be a token of appreciation for people with the cover, and only one of my accounts got that" and the heuristic software or whatever they use went 'oh look 'crash' in the text let's send that passive-aggressive 'we're not saying you were cheating, but...' boilerplate response.' Yeah, that was annoying.
  • Tuttle0606
    Tuttle0606 Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    So I didn't get compensation, so I sent in a ticket just to get told that I won't get compensation because I didn't use banner while he was bugged. Why would I use him knowing he is bugged? When did it change from just having him with a purple cover on your roster to needed to use him?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tuttle0606 wrote:
    When did it change from just having him with a purple cover on your roster to needed to use him?
    December 23rd, right before Brigby left the office, guessing by the edit dates in the OP.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I missed the changed requirements too. Considering I wouldn't use Hulk anyway until he gets more covers I suppose I can't complain.
  • Juggernaut691
    Options
    I had been using Bruce Banner before the bug but did not use him after the announcement came out because his purple is his best power. I also wish it would have been clear that I had to use Banner while he was bugged to get compensation.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    Daiches wrote:
    An unrelated but pressing matter: when will the promised compensation be given out for the Banner/Hulk bug?
    If you had played a game with The Hulk (Bruce Banner) with a point(s) in his ability, The Other Guy, then to my knowledge those players should have already been provided a token of appreciation for their patience.

I'm sure this has been addressed in another thread, but that's not what the in-game pop-up said would happen. Nor does it compensate those who knew of the bug (via forums) and didn't use Banner because of the bug.
  • DFiPL
    Options
    blinktag wrote:
    Brigby wrote:
    Daiches wrote:
    An unrelated but pressing matter: when will the promised compensation be given out for the Banner/Hulk bug?
    If you had played a game with The Hulk (Bruce Banner) with a point(s) in his ability, The Other Guy, then to my knowledge those players should have already been provided a token of appreciation for their patience.

I'm sure this has been addressed in another thread, but that's not what the in-game pop-up said would happen. Nor does it compensate those who knew of the bug (via forums) and didn't use Banner because of the bug.

What he said. What was communicated initially, both via in-game pop-up and here on the forums, and what was stealth edited into the communication after the fact, were not the same thing.

People who said "oh, he's broken, I won't use him" then got punished for not using him. Or, if you prefer, people who ignored the communication got rewarded for ignoring the initial communication while everybody else affected got shrugged at.

It's not right. Not even the tiniest bit.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Wait, so people got compensated for the banner thing already? What was it? I need to decide if it's worth puttig a ticket in since I didn't get mine.
  • DFiPL
    Options
    Wait, so people got compensated for the banner thing already? What was it? I need to decide if it's worth puttig a ticket in since I didn't get mine.

It was a Naughty or Nice token, and Customer Service is just going to point at you and laugh because you didn't ignore the original communication and use a broken character anyway.

But, hey, if you're a masochist...
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:

It was a Naughty or Nice token, and Customer Service is just going to point at you and laugh because you didn't ignore the original communication and use a broken character anyway.

But, hey, if you're a masochist...

Pretty sure I used him once just for the novelty.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't feel like I "deserve" compensation. I have a 1/1/5 banner.

I'm unlikely to use him with my MMR anyway.

However, to turn my 1/1/5 Banner into a 1/1/0 Banner and then say, "Too bad, so sad" seems rude.

There are plenty of people out there in a similar covered situation that would have used him and didn't and they should get that compensation.

The reason why we have this forum is to discuss these issues and to avoid losing by taking the advice of the devs/mods/community.

Why are those that followed that advice now penalized?

TLDR:

If you're going to talk about a widespread error and compensation is even hinted at, d3 needs to follow through for the entire community. If individual compensation was the dev's desire, that should've been communicated. Anyone that wanted to vulture that compensation would've then had the opportunity to participate.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I apologize for any sort of confusion that has arisen due to this process.

In the hopes of alleviating any concerns, I have reached out to the development team to discuss if there is any course of action that can be applied due to the discrepancy between the MOTD requirements to acquire the token and the requirements that were applied.

Thank you for your patience.