Pushing iso sales on the level up screen [A Conversation]

Comments

• BennettR
    BennettR Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    This is a terrible change. The suggestion to buy ISO if you didn't have enough was fine. Now, however, you can't make any strategic moves regarding who to level, or in what order, without leaving the game to get the info somewhere else. This reminds me of the gwenpool nonsense of having to look up cheat codes on the wiki or forum. Why a developer would choose to force a user to leave the program is beyond me. It seems to be the exact opposite of most developers' goal, i.e. keeping the user engaged. Half the time if I'm "away" from the game for too long, here meaning more than a few seconds, my phone kills it and I have to relaunch. When that happens, I just don't bother.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because they're banking more on the clueless impulse buyer that doesn't know any better. This really is the lowest they've sunk into predatory micro - transaction purchase tactics.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hey everyone. Sorry to hear that a lot of you don't like the new design of the Level Up button. icon_e_sad.gif I'll bring the subject up with the development team tomorrow morning once I get to the office.
  • Mitchjewitz
    Mitchjewitz Posts: 84 Match Maker
    It really isn't that bad. Besides being cosmetic, the level all button always worked this way. If you did not have enough iso, it would add a motherlode to your current iso and give the potential max level. (For example and these numbers aren't real: You have 100,000 iso and want to champ a level 70 4*. The button would've read 178,000 iso to get to level 200.) And what happened when you clicked the button? It to you to the purchase tab to look at all the purchases. There is no difference and now it looks cooler and tells you up front that you need more iso.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    It really isn't that bad. Besides being cosmetic, the level all button always worked this way. If you did not have enough iso, it would add a motherlode to your current iso and give the potential max level. (For example and these numbers aren't real: You have 100,000 iso and want to champ a level 70 4*. The button would've read 178,000 iso to get to level 200.) And what happened when you clicked the button? It to you to the purchase tab to look at all the purchases. There is no difference and now it looks cooler and tells you up front that you need more iso.
    You are kidding, right?
    Previously the button showed total amount of iso needed to max the character. Now it shows nothing.
    It is impossible now to estimate how much iso you need or plan your actions to get the required amount before your queued covers expire!

EDIT:
    Small example from few minutes ago:
    I got 14th cover for Iceman two weeks ago. Since then I've been hoarding iso to champ him. This covers expires tomorrow and I saw I need to purchase 13500 iso from the shop to max him. I was really short of time before expiration and I couldn't know how much iso I really need. Fortunately after 1k iso from my VIP daily I was able to max him. So I needed only 1k, but the button said I need to buy 13k. So in the stress situation when cover is going to expire soon, the are trying to force me to spend my real money on 13k iso when I really needed only 1k!
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you need to ask for the price of ISO to level your 4* you can't afford it!

Thanks for the button D3*.

* It's sarcasm. I know you are listing but I hope you don't take everything literally.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's absolutely terrible. No smart person would ever spend money on ISO. You spend $100 just to get the same ISO you would win after playing for just a few days?! What's the point? Just play the game!

Don't force your crazy expensive ISO in our faces! We won't buy it!!! Leave us alone and just let us play the game!

icon_evil.gif
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    New players got confused by the way the number changed on the max level button depending on how much ISO you had banked. Solution? Take away the information entirely! Shows where the priority is.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I wish I could see into their numbers to see how many people actually buy ISO. The price doesn't make any sense to me at all. If I had $500 burning a hole in my pocket I'd buy a new phone; not max one 4* character. I can play the game for a week or two to max a character; I can't get a free phone by playing the game.

The price of ISO makes even less sense now that they have introduced Shield Intercepts. Watching a single ad can give me ISO that would cost more than $2. Watching a days worth of ads seems to give more than $10 worth of ISO at store prices. If ISO cost the same as the value they were giving it away for in shield intercepts we'd be buying Motherlodes at pennies on the dollar.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks to these new buttons, I now know that instead of waiting for tomorrow to have enough ISO champ-farm my 2*, I can spend $50 today!!!!!!

Totally worth it!!!!!!!!!!

icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    smoq84 wrote:
    You are kidding, right?
    Previously the button showed total amount of iso needed to max the character. Now it shows nothing.
    It is impossible now to estimate how much iso you need or plan your actions to get the required amount before your queued covers expire!

EDIT:
    I got 14th cover for Iceman two weeks ago. Since then I've been hoarding iso to champ him. This covers expires tomorrow and I saw I need to purchase 13500 iso from the shop to max him. I was really short of time before expiration and I couldn't know how much iso I really need. Fortunately after 1k iso from my VIP daily I was able to max him. So I needed only 1k, but the button said I need to buy 13k. So in the stress situation when cover is going to expire soon, the are trying to force me to spend my real money on 13k iso when I really needed only 1k!
    That's not how it worked previously. If you were within 78k ISO it would tell you how much it was to max, but if you weren't it would just tell you what level you could get to with your current stash + 78k ISO.

I haven't updated so I can't see this new "feature" but sounds to me like it was bad before and it's still bad now. At least now they have the price tag there to clearly communicate that you will need to spend to max. Before it was unclear.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    smoq84 wrote:
    You are kidding, right?

EDIT:
    That's not how it worked previously. If you were within 78k ISO it would tell you how much it was to max, but if you weren't it would just tell you what level you could get to with your current stash + 78k ISO.

I haven't updated so I can't see this new "feature" but sounds to me like it was bad before and it's still bad now. At least now they have the price tag there to clearly communicate that you will need to spend to max. Before it was unclear.

But, they aren't really communicating clearly either, as they display $100 as if that would max out the character, when in reality you'd could need $300 to actually get to level max.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2016
    smoq84 wrote:
    You are kidding, right?

EDIT:

So please update and tell then icon_e_wink.gif
    I will say one more time: now when you are short on ISO you don't have any information about the needed amount, no matter if including purchase or not.
    Previously I had an idea how much I need (of course if it was in mentioned range of 78K).

Taking it into my example from the previous post:
    - before update my level up button showed 242K iso needed to max my Iceman (I knew how much iso I need),
    - after update it showed 13K and some $ price for the purchase (and I don't know if I'm really short of 13K, 8K, 1K or maybe 100 ISO).
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby wrote:
    Hey everyone. Sorry to hear that a lot of you don't like the new design of the Level Up button. icon_e_sad.gif I'll bring the subject up with the development team tomorrow morning once I get to the office.

Thank you for acknowledging this thread and the player frustrations that it expresses. I hope we can get a better max level up button as a result. but no matter what happens, communication is always appreciated!
  • Uthgarprime
    Uthgarprime Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Yea, I gotta say this makes me even happier that I am not spending on this game anymore, its this kind of **** that makes me happy to not spend money. I wasn't a big spender but I don't mind laying down some money on games I enjoy. I do enjoy this game, but I am frustrated with this kind of stupid thing.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    How long before they remove the hp display on token packs and improve it with $99.99?
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    See this forum isn't negative, it's actually the users who are bored at work and just type without thought

Why would you comment on an update you don't have and write paragraphs instead of.... updating your phone...

Or looking at the screenshot?

Even with the ISO purchase the old button tells you what you need to max out.

Stop attacking other users input and make your own.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a bad move for new players,

I'd leave if I saw this and wasn't where I am now.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2016
    GurlBYE wrote:
    See this forum isn't negative, it's actually the users who are bored at work and just type without thought

Why would you comment on an update you don't have and write paragraphs instead of.... updating your phone...

Or looking at the screenshot?

Even with the ISO purchase the old button tells you what you need to max out.

Stop attacking other users input and make your own.

Not quite. The old max button was confusing. It told you how much was needed to max a character if you had at least that much iso, If you didn't, then it took your iso stockpile, added 78k (a motherlode purchase) and told you what level you could reach with that purchase. That was pretty bad and people complained about for years.

But now the button is "improved" and the improvement is that it (1) doesn't give any specific info about the iso cost to reach level X, (2) has an iso purchase prompt that doesn't always show 78k, it will show the minimum necessary iso purchase to reach max level given your current stockpile, and (3) slaps the price of that purchase right on the level up screen. It contains less information and a much more aggressive sales push.

So now the button gives the player less useful information (unless you have a large enough iso stockpile), AND it throws monetization right in your face with a pricetag. And for new players, it could even add confusion by suggestion that a $100 purchase is enough to max a character (what a ridiculous idea. . . given the truly absurd pricing for iso!).

To be honest, what we had before was pretty terrible. So i don't want to act like this change is the end of the world. BUT having pitched the change as an improvement, and then actually made the functionality markedly worse, I stand by my original statement: it's insulting to my intelligence as a consumer.

Also (and for purely selfless reasons of course), let's get at least six more upvotes on the first post in this thread to turn it green. The more player frustration is expressed here, the stronger the case brigby can make at the dev meeting later today!
  • wow. just wow. this is horrible beyond words. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gif