**** Wolverine (X-Force) **** [PRE 2015-04]

Options

Comments

• LegendReborn
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    ecir2002 wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    11 black still takes a while to get, and you are still at mercy of the board. I cant tell you how many times i get 11 black only to have 1-5 of the strongest tiles on the board 2500 damage for 11 ap is nothing to write home about.
    If you are relying solely on Surgical Strike you are playing him wrong. Use a few X-forces to soften up the enemy and shake up the board. And obviously wait for the right time to go Surgical.

Or SS a strong green user so you can go right into an X-Force.
    That may not work if the board is starved in green as elwhiteninja outlined. Of course, then you might not have enough AP for a Surgical Strike either...

So? That's like saying 4thor didn't need to get nerfed because what if no blue on board? That's a nonissue that applies to every character.
  • XF nerf has started. The 5 black now says "reduces enemy AP in that color by 10". Currently it is still stealing AP, but this is a hint at the upcoming nerf it looks like.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ecir2002 wrote:
    XF nerf has started. The 5 black now says "reduces enemy AP in that color by 10". Currently it is still stealing AP, but this is a hint at the upcoming nerf it looks like.

It has always said that.

The "steal AP" comes from the tiles on the board - IE, when you upgrade to cover number 5, the "destroyed tiles do not generate AP" language disappears from the text.
  • Yeah I don't think d3 has the balls to steath Nerf xforce.
  • DEWDuck
    DEWDuck Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    So if, and when, (because you know they will) nerf XF, would they kindly adjust the scaling for PVE since he will not be as powerful?

That way I don't have to face 300+ lvl goons, etc just because I have spent 490+ day playing this game and putting time and effort into it?

Oh wait, that would make sense...
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jesus, someone already freaking out trying to read skills that haven't changed. Looks like a good example to just chill out until the announcement.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hmm. I think he is officially flat-out stronger than every character now, but I don't support a nerf.

If there's one thing I'd tweak, I think X-Force is too damaging for the cost. I know you guys love it, but as someone who has been stuck with a 1/5/2 XFW forever now, Surgical Strike is great, but it is just not the same as "AI gets lucky green matches, ends you" that X-force is. X-force would still be a top-tier power if it cost 10 green instead of 8. Since I like it cheap, I'd rather see it toned down, damage-wise. People look at the numbers and forget that it also does a ****-ton of tile and cascade damage.

If the rumors are true Surgical Strike is going to be more damaging without the AP gain, which is too bad, but still usable. I just cross my fingers for "still as good as other 4*", e.g., as sad as it was, 4hor is still great, just brought down to the level of Fury; now XF sticks out from the crowd. What'll probably happen is the nerf will come at the same time as IW gets buffed, which will make him seem even worse in comparison. Sorry guys. At least I'll maybe get to sell my overflow 0/2/0 XF for some hero points.

Honestly before they nerf him I wish they'd rework his power progression to be better up to 3 covers. E.g. Nick Fury's purpletile.png is a great example of the way to do it. Rank 1 "Well, I guess I have something to do with purple." Rank 2 "Now the strike is pretty strong, cool!" Rank 3"Now the initial damage is pretty decent, cool!". Xforce is amazing with green and black maxed but his powers aren't very usable at ranks 1-3.

Right now, X-force advances like this: Rank 1 "uhh", Rank 2 "still lame", Rank 3 "ok, now it does a little damage" Rank 4 "good damage", Rank 5 "holy tinykitty this power is unreasonable". I'd rather see it advance as "decent utility", "decent damage", "great damage", "great utility", "ok the board is gone now". or with 3/4 swapped.
  • DEWDuck
    Options
    Jesus, someone already freaking out trying to read skills that haven't changed. Looks like a good example to just chill out until the announcement.

The only way we can have our voice heard, before a decision is made, is to come on here and complain about possible changes. They are destroying this game, piece by piece for people that have dedicated time and energy into it. A lot of the vets, (myself included) that I have talked to will probably quit if this goes into effect.

We are just tired of supporting a game and company that does not listen to their customers!
  • Unknown
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hey All

Miles from Demiurge here to let you know about some new character updates that are coming soon to Marvel Puzzle Quest.

Wolverine (X-Force) - Coming 4/17/15
    X-Force was our first 4-star character. He’s been through a few incarnations, some too weak and some too powerful. We’ve realized that we’d made him too powerful compared to other characters, especially the AP generation and cascade potential of his most recent Black and Green abilities. We’ve re-designed him to bring those abilities into line. The damage of Surgical Strike and Recovery had room to grow, so we’ve increased that as part of this rework.

greentile.pngX-Force - Cost: 8 Green AP - OLD
    Wolverine unleashes his berserker rage, cutting with his adamantium claws. Deals 164 damage and destroys 5 tiles in a 3x3 X-Shaped pattern. Does not generate AP.
    Upgrades:
      2. Deals 465 damage. 3. Destroys 9 tiles in a 5x5 X-Shaped pattern. 4. Deals 1030 damage. 5. Deals 1731 damage and destroys 15 tiles in 3 3x3 X-Shaped patterns MAX LV 5: Deals 3441 damage and destroys 15 tiles in 3 3x3 X-Shaped patterns

greentile.pngX-Force - Cost: 8 Green AP - NEW
    Wolverine unleashes his berserker rage, cutting with his adamantium claws. Deals 137 damage and destroys 5 tiles in a 3x3 X-Shaped pattern. Does not generate AP.
    Upgrades:
      2. Deals 183 damage. 3. Destroys 9 tiles in a 5x5 X-Shaped pattern. 4. Deals 548 damage. 5. Deals 685 damage and destroys 15 tiles in 3 3x3 X-Shaped patterns MAX LV 5: Deals 1360 damage and destroys 15 tiles in 3 3x3 X-Shaped patterns

blacktile.pngSurgical Strike - Cost: 11 Black AP - OLD
    Wolverine attacks with ruthless precision, crippling his enemy’s ability to retaliate. Destroys every tile in the enemy team’s strongest color, dealing 32 damage per tile.
    Upgrades:
      2. Deals 87 damage per tile. 3. Deals 137 damage per tile. 4. Also drains the enemy’s strongest AP pool by 10 AP. 5. Deals 265 damage per tile. Destroyed tiles now generate AP. MAX LV 5: Deals 522 damage per tile.

blacktile.pngSurgical Strike - Cost: 11 Black AP - NEW
    Wolverine attacks with ruthless precision, crippling his enemy’s ability to retaliate. Destroys every tile in the enemy team’s strongest color, dealing 55 damage per tile. Does not generate AP.
    Upgrades:
      2. Deals 96 damage per tile. 3. Deals 138 damage per tile. 4. Deals 225 damage per tile. 5. Deals 394 damage per tile. MAX LV 5: Deals 781 damage per tile.

yellowtile.pngRecovery - Cost: 9 Yellow AP - OLD
    Wolverine’s healing factor repairs his wounds, and he ferociously lashes out if interrupted. Places a 3-turn Yellow Countdown tile that heals for 1187 health when activated. If the Countdown tile is matched, Wolverine destroys 6 random tiles, dealing 32 damage per tile.
    Upgrades:
      2. Heals Wolverine for 1662 or deals 45 damage per tile. 3. Heals Wolverine for 2137 or deals 58 damage per tile. 4. Heals Wolverine for 3086 or deals 83 damage per tile. 5. Heals Wolverine for 4985 or destroys 9 tiles. MAX LV 5: Heals Wolverine for 9899 or destroys 9 tiles. 164 damage per tile.

yellowtile.pngRecovery - Cost: 9 Yellow AP - NEW
    Wolverine’s healing factor repairs his wounds, and he ferociously lashes out if interrupted. Places a 3-turn Yellow Countdown tile that heals for 1187 health when activated. If the Countdown tile is matched, Wolverine destroys 6 random tiles, dealing 55 damage per tile.
    Upgrades:
      2. Heals Wolverine for 1662 or deals 92 damage per tile. 3. Heals Wolverine for 2137 or deals 138 damage per tile. 4. Heals Wolverine for 3086 or deals 202 damage per tile. 5. Heals Wolverine for 4985 or destroys 9 tiles. MAX LV 5: Heals Wolverine for 9899 or destroys 9 tiles. 400 damage per tile.

[Extracted from original post. It and further discussion on the change can be found here].

Original post:

Abilities that do not say whether they generate AP when destroying tiles always generated AP, but they try to be consistent with the 'generate AP' part so that people don't get into a riot whenever they read the same skill again and decided it was nerfed even though it said exactly the same thing. For example Fireball doesn't say it generates 2 red AP for the 2 tiles it destroyed, but it does.
  • DEWDuck
    Options
    DEWDuck wrote:

The only way we can have our voice heard, before a decision is made, is to come on here and complain about possible changes. They are destroying this game, piece by piece for people that have dedicated time and energy into it. A lot of the vets, (myself included) that I have talked to will probably quit if this goes into effect.

We are just tired of supporting a game and company that does not listen to their customers!

So should we just "chill out" now?

They are completely **** up for the some whining **** noobs who don't want to put the time and effort into earning something.
  • I'd like to hear the reasoning behind how his green has ended up. Maybe he did need a slight nerf but how is that power even close to worthy of a 4*?
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    Options
    ADD83 wrote:
    I'd like to hear the reasoning behind how his green has ended up. Maybe he did need a slight nerf but how is that power even close to worthy of a 4*?

It's not. D3 has no clue how to balance characters. If a character is fun to play but overpowered, you keep the same basic play mechanics for each ability and then just scale it back some. If it's still overpowered or feels too weak after that then you change it slightly again until you get it right. What you don't do grab your nerf back and take it out back to the shed and beat it mercilessly.
  • How do I describe this succinctly?

funny_soccer_ow_my_balls-s333x500-10038-580.jpg#ow%20my%20balls
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Devs,

I think you should offer to allow X Force owners to trade in two green covers for other colors. Or, or at the very least, trade green for yellow.

And my x force is only 2/0/0 so it's not a big deal to me, but for people that spend time and money (or HP) to grind pves for top 2 or pvps for top placement or 1000 points, it's a problem. I'm pretty sure no one would push for those covers of they knew they wouldn't even be as strong as Ares' green.

Edit: typo fix
  • (Note: This post is not for praising/damning the change to XForce. Post that elsewhere please.)

With the new change to Surgical Strike, if I damage 10 red tiles with it, do I gain 10 Red AP? My understanding is that I no longer drain my opponent of the red, but I'm wondering if I still net the red myself.

From the way I read the change, you would gain the ap regardless of how many black covers you have, but I wanted to know for sure.
  • greengiant33
    Options
    Negative---

Surgical Strike - Cost: 11 Black AP - NEW
    Wolverine attacks with ruthless precision, crippling his enemy’s ability to retaliate. Destroys every tile in the enemy team’s strongest color, dealing 55 damage per tile. Does not generate AP.
    Upgrades:

2. Deals 96 damage per tile.
    3. Deals 138 damage per tile.
    4. Deals 225 damage per tile.
    5. Deals 394 damage per tile.
    MAX LV 5: Deals 781 damage per tile.
  • Didn't see that line the first few times I read it. Thank you for the clarification!
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No drain no gain.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ShazamFTW wrote:
    Didn't see that line the first few times I read it. Thank you for the clarification!
    It wasn't there at first because they don't even know their own phrasing schemes.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    RIP big guy, gonna be sad to see you go, but your death will fuel life in better characters, you're nothing more than a 3* with slightly more health now, it's not your fault.
This discussion has been closed.