Topics for Brigby

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just going to add that a lot of these issues are long standing issues and just because they haven't been resolved to the forum's satisfaction (or at all), doesn't mean Hi-Fi didn't bring those concerns to the Devs at the time they were initially suggested. So re-creating a list of things that have been discussed for months isn't going to lead to anything but more disappointment and potential disdain that the new person didn't get us any where further than the last.

The only issue I'd like to see resolved is the lack of casual dialogue between the people behind the game and the people in front of the game. The forums have become a source of emotionless press releases and players screaming into the ether. Improve that, and he's done 90% of his job.
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Colorless covers (or getting a usable cover)
    Duplicate covers
    I mean, the one fixes the other, so I feel like colorless covers should just be emphasized. I'm only a 3-Star player, so I don't know the pain of duplicates yet as badly as most vets, but I already know that I'm going to start raging over the fact that I have a 1/2/5 Nick Fury and a 5/1/1 Hulkbuster that are inevitably going to start torturing me with dupes soon enough.

In 2* and 3* land, it's an annoying inconvenience, but with the rarity of 4* and moreover 5* covers, I think the fact that there hasn't been a simple solution when it's so obvious is a bit silly.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    One question then;

How can the net amount of entropy of the universe be massively decreased?

Answer: No enough information to compile a solution. Will continue to collect data.

http://multivax.com/last_question.html

This is my favorite Asimov short story and its a fast 15min read. I reread it every year on my birthday.

Highly recommend everyone to read it.
    This was awesome. Thanks for sharing!
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    One question then;

How can the net amount of entropy of the universe be massively decreased?

Answer: No enough information to compile a solution. Will continue to collect data.

http://multivax.com/last_question.html

This is my favorite Asimov short story and its a fast 15min read. I reread it every year on my birthday.

Highly recommend everyone to read it.
    This was awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Interesting sci-fi story, but the entire story is pointless given the laws of physics: conservation of mass/energy - matter/energy cannot be created nor destroyed. We surely don't know everything about the universe and scientific laws that govern it, but if you're worried about our sun dying, don't worry, God is taking care of us.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler wrote:

the entire story is pointless given the laws of physics: conservation of mass/energy - matter/energy cannot be created nor destroyed. We surely don't know everything about the universe and scientific laws that govern it, but if you're worried about our sun dying, don't worry, God is taking care of us.

LOL, I think you've missed the point if you thought Asimov was writing this an introduction into thermodynamics.

Like all great authors, he uses a field that he's comfortable with to explore the eternal questions of humanity. My other favorite author from high school was Jane Austen because of how she explores how women relate to men through the context of Victorian era England. I think that's what makes great literature timeless, the ability to ask a timeless question but frame it through the perspective of their times.

Regardless, what your really talking about is literary criticism and I'd welcome all english majors to share their perspective on the intersection of science and religion.

As an interesting side note, as a law school graduate, I find Austen's work's to be surprisingly insightful with respect to how and why real property (term of art that has a special meaning in the legal field) is passed down from one generation to the next.

To tie this back to MPQ. I suspect that the poster's real critique is that peppering the new CM with an in-depth list of tough questions is much like asking the AC about what happens at the end of the universe.

and I was would suspect that Bigby's answer will be fairly similar to the AC's

Insufficient data to answer at this time.

But if you really want to continue this discussion, we should start a new thread on literary criticism. I think Westworld is ripe for discussion on what it means to be human.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    bbigler wrote:
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents; not everyone thinks the same way or has the same complaints, so here's my comments on the OP topic list:
    Oh I agree most of this list I don't care about these are just things I see complained about.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Ezrius wrote:
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Colorless covers (or getting a usable cover)
    Duplicate covers
    I mean, the one fixes the other, so I feel like colorless covers should just be emphasized.
    I agree that the first will override the second, the only reason why I had both is in case the first doesn't happen. Like let's say we still get duplicates, can we use them another way? Or like pay to switch colors? Or at least sell for more? Things like that.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Inequality between steam users and other users

I hope this gets some attention since we didn't get anything close to a competent answer.
  • mu7an7
    mu7an7 Posts: 34
    This has probably been mentioned before but on the off-chance that it hasn't, why can't we just be allowed to respec our characters at no cost. That will get rid of the need of colorless covers or any other of the multiple duplicate options previously mentioned in this or other posts.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    While it is only my first week here, and I can only do so much right now, I actually appreciate the enthusiasm and the proactive nature of putting this list together.

I'll keep an eye on this thread as more opinions come rolling in. I just want to make sure that before I compile a report, I get a good idea of which issues are closer to a "It's a tiny bit annoying" and which ones are closer to "OMG THE GAME IS ON FIRE"
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Brigby wrote:
    While it is only my first week here, and I can only do so much right now, I actually appreciate the enthusiasm and the proactive nature of putting this list together.

I'll keep an eye on this thread as more opinions come rolling in. I just want to make sure that before I compile a report, I get a good idea of which issues are closer to a "It's a tiny bit annoying" and which ones are closer to "OMG THE GAME IS ON FIRE"

Once you've been around long enough, you'll see that every issue on the forums is "OMG THE GAME IS ON FIRE" regardless of the actual impact of it on the game. Good luck!
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby wrote:

Awesome to hear, Brigby! I'm glad to chime in on which ones on that list seem like priorities from my experience.

Scaling - Not on fire (but I don't have a 5* roster, so that might play into it?)

Eliminating Duplicate Covers/Creating Colorless covers (or getting a usable cover) - Definitely should be a top priority to improve. Getting dupes, especially considering the difficulty and randomness behind getting some of the 4 and 5* characters, can be devastating.

Rate of acquiring 5* - Also problematic. This is sort of the other side to the coin of dupes. If dupes weren't a problem, the rate would still be low, but more tolerable. If the rate were higher, the dupes wouldn't be as much of a problem. But, having both bad rates and dupes compounds into some truly bad experiences. Obvious discrepancy between the haves and have nots also become really apparent when pushing above 600 in PvP.

Frequency of character releases - Problematic. Perhaps not "on fire" but, maybe fire adjacent.

Frequency of character rebalancing - A couple low tier characters getting a rework each season seems good to me. I'd actually say this is quite good and to keep it up!

Skip tax in versus - Minor annoyance

Same 3-5 people showing in versus skips - Problematic, especially pushing above 600 in PvP.

Xp in versus - Minor annoyance

Boss rush - Eh. It isn't so much the boss rush itself. The event is in the past, and we can let it stay there. But, it is part of the "You're supposed to lose" design philosophy that needs to be kept in check. The devs have tried it again and again, and it always ends up being a giant dumpster fire. Help to keep the devs from going down that road again. Kaecilius was a step in the right direction.

Amount of team up slots - Hasn't been an issue for me.

Amount of team ups that can be sent - Hasn't been an issue for me.

Inequality between steam users and other users - Hasn't been an issue for me (but I'm not on Steam, and I understand the Steam players often get the shaft).

Price of purchasing iso - Hasn't been an issue for me. It is expensive. I've never bought any. But, I doubt I'd buy at any price. While the flow of ISO is far too low, I'm also not keen on paying money for the luxury of playing a game less. I can do that for free by simply uninstalling.

Goons feeding ap to non goons Minor annoyance/just part of the game.
  • Just breathe folks...in through the nose, out through the mouth. This is my first post. I play this game every day, and have for 2 years, but I do not post on the forums, mainly because it seems like one big tinykitty fest.

I see nothing wrong with making a list for Brigby. He asked for it! Yes, the man is a middleman...so what! Is he trying to help you, the answer is yes. So let Brigby do his job.

This is a game, an escape from our everyday lives. Some spend huge money, some none at all. There is something here in this game for all of us.
  • firethorne
    Oh, I did think of another for the master list.

Limited roster Heroic events. - It isn't at "the game is on fire" levels. At the same time, 0% of respondents in Punisher5784's poll (see: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55106) listed any of these as a favorite event. The devs churn out new characters at breakneck pace, and then turn on a dime and say we can't use 90% of them for a week. icon_rolleyes.gif It isn't as high of a priority as dupe covers or 5* random acquisition, but higher up for me than a skip tax or team up limits, moderately annoying.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:

Limited roster Heroic events. - It isn't at "the game is on fire" levels. At the same time, 0% of respondents in Punisher5784's poll (see: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55106) listed any of these as a favorite event. The devs churn out new characters at breakneck pace, and then turn on a dime and say we can't use 90% of them for a week. icon_rolleyes.gif It isn't as high of a priority as dupe covers or 5* random acquisition, but higher up for me than a skip tax or team up limits, moderately annoying.

I love Heroics, unless the weekly boosted list is unsynergistic/extremely weak. Why? Because I can use more than 3-5 characters from my 109 slot roster then.
  • firethorne
    Daiches wrote:
    firethorne wrote:

I love Heroics, unless the weekly boosted list is unsynergistic/extremely weak. Why? Because I can use more than 3-5 characters from my 109 slot roster then.

I guess I feel the opposite. I always use more than 3-5 characters on all normal events, and feel like it is only the Heroics when I'm forced into using a limited few unsynergistic or weak teams. Seems like there was some similar sentiment in Punisher's poll thread. To each his own though. As said, it wasn't one of my top priorities, just a mid level annoyance.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    The other thing about Heroic story events is that they have the most XP compared to other story events due to all the one-off nodes.
  • Tromb2ch2
    I added the heroics to the list but for me I like heroics (now that I have a better roster) because the scaling is lower.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    firethorne wrote:
    Brigby wrote:
    Awesome to hear, Brigby! I'm glad to chime in on which ones on that list seem like priorities from my experience.
    For the sake of saving post space, I omitted the list analysis.

Thanks for your thoughts on it! Definitely helps to see other players' opinions on the list. From what I've gathered, a large root cause to all these issues is that the reward doesn't feel equivalent to the amount of play time devoted to it. For instance, playing everyday to get Hero Tokens to purchase Covers only to get duplicates, or spending time on events that feel like they're not worth it to play because they take too long or scaling that makes it too difficult?

Would that be an accurate statement?

And when it comes to frequency of character releases. Are they being released too quickly or too slowly?
    firethorne wrote:
    At the same time, 0% of respondents in Punisher5784's poll (see: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55106) listed any of these as a favorite event.
    Thanks for linking that by the way! Definitely a great analysis which helps us out a lot on figuring out what's working and what's not.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    From what I've gathered, a large root cause to all these issues is that the reward doesn't feel equivalent to the amount of play time devoted to it.

THIS times a million.

Although I will say that D3 has done a great job of addressing this recently. SHIELD Levels and SCL has done a lot to mitigate these concerns. So they are definitely on the right path.

If you were to have played the game for around two-plus years like many of us obsessives, then you'll find that progress slows down to a halt. Instead of drawing a few genuinely useful covers each week, you basically end up waiting months and months in hopes of drawing a 5* cover that will push your strongest 5* character into a level that actually is useful for PVP. But if it's the character that you want yet it's a 6th cover of a non-championed character (like my OML, which is currently 5/1/5), then you have to sell it, and that's quite painful.

But the good news is that as we get more iso, hp and other resources, at least I have a lot of stuff to do while I wait for those two OML yellows to arrive, and I don't need to spend 3 weeks building up enough ISO to champion my next 4* (drax). I can do it in more like 1.5 weeks now, which feels like better progress. I'm looking forward to SCL 9 and 10, and I hope that they are a larger improvement than SCL 8 was over SCL 7.