MPQ at Marvel.com: Agent Venom Arrives

Options

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    And now one of the few villains in this game is getting a hero equivalent. We have had one playable villain this year... someone wake me up when they release another villain, then I will be excited about a new character.

We've had more!

We had Green Goblin and... does Winter Solider count?

And don't forget about Kaecillius.. wait he's unplayable..

Okay nevermind icon_lol.gif
  • patrice789
    patrice789 Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Arphaxad wrote:
    Disney's ban on mutants is starting to hurt MPQ. This one shows the thin character pool they are pulling from.

Only CoC seems to be immune from the ban...weird.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    metallion wrote:
    So why did we need a second 4* Venom again?

To maintain the 2 new characters a month that everyone asks for so much, obviously.

I think it is ~3 actually?
    They sped up releases with occasional "extra" character.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We wanted to show that Flash is constantly fighting with the symbiote’s more violent tendencies.

Which is all well and good, but you seem to have translated that into powers that require way too much babysitting and don't come across as being, well, fun.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mega ghost wrote:
    Berserk Al wrote:
    Fun how it appears with three different characters but not his original host (hint: give us symbiote Spider-Man please).

I thought that's what 5-star Spider-Man was, but apparently not!

"In rare, dark times when Peter Parker was pushed past his breaking point by his enemies, he donned a replica of that black suit and uncharacteristically embraced his rage, showing villains that even Spider-Man isn't always so friendly."

This delegitimizes him as a 5-star character, if he's just Peter Parker in a different color fabric.

I assumed it was the symbiote that gave him his invisibility powers, but apparently he just "darts through the shadows, using his foe's confusion to disappear completely."

And if he's not having his strength reinforced by the symbiote, how is it that he "grabs a nearby parked car and hurls a 2 ton fastball"? From what I'm reading now online he apparently can lift ~10 tons, but I honestly don't remember that ever being canonical in the comics. Like, anything of roughly car weight would be doable but a struggle?

Pete has displayed immense strength on a few occasions even using a train carriage as a bat on one occasion. He's often quoted as saying he holds back because he knows his strength is overkill for the the situations he faces mostly
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mega ghost wrote:
    Berserk Al wrote:
    And if he's not having his strength reinforced by the symbiote, how is it that he "grabs a nearby parked car and hurls a 2 ton fastball"? From what I'm reading now online he apparently can lift ~10 tons, but I honestly don't remember that ever being canonical in the comics. Like, anything of roughly car weight would be doable but a struggle?

My inner geek is totally being exposed now, but... the canon of Spider-Man has always had him pretty strong. The 10-ton limit has always been my understanding. That amount of weight is the extreme, however, and will push Spider-Man to his adrenal limits. The average car weighs around two tons (4000 lbs) and is well within Spider-Man's strength limits.

Also, as far as I know, the symbiote didn't physically enhance Peter Parker at all. The only abilities it had when Peter donned the suit was changing shape to look like any clothing he wanted, and to generate webbing. It did however enhance Eddie Brock's strength because Eddie was just a normal guy and Eddie also completely physically bonded with the Symbiote - which Peter never did (the suit would actually leave Peter's person and hang in his closet at night).

Ok. That's the probably the geekiest thing I'll type all day. icon_e_wink.gif
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    Ugh. There will be NO new Fox characters. People have said that over and over again, for almost a year now. Oddly enough, things might finally change in January, when the merchandising license rights go back to Marvel.

Also.....ALL Venoms and ALL Carnages are sooooo freaking cheesy. Those kinds of teen angst ridden characters are only useful when you're mid 20s and younger. Yuck.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've read space knight venom and the symbiote is actually in a good place with flash after having its evil mind cleansed on the home planet. So his black power is nonsense. If this was for brock in the toxin outfit it might make a little more sense.

Until I play him I won't know but for me this looks like a winner for that invisibility and cheap power use. Prof x and him might pair nicely. As he'll buff his tiles that are being generated super quick with such a low cost ability.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    Bag-Venom
    Self damage, burns ap, why bother
    start collecting he's going to be awesome when they re-balance him in 2 years
  • Dormammu
    Options
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Ugh. There will be NO new Fox characters. People have said that over and over again, for almost a year now. Oddly enough, things might finally change in January, when the merchandising license rights go back to Marvel

Uh, what? Has some new deal recently been struck? I thought FOX owned those rights indefinitely as long as they continue to make a film every seven years (not a problem for X-Men, FF is in question though). In the meantime, Marvel isn't doing ANY merchandising related to any of those characters because they gain such a small share of the profits. In fact, just the other day I saw someone wearing a tee-shirt from the original Secret Wars limited series (cover from issue #1) and it had the X-Men and FF removed from the artwork.

I asked the guy where Reed Richards was (originally stretching across the battlefield) and the guy said, "Who?"
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Ugh. There will be NO new Fox characters. People have said that over and over again, for almost a year now. Oddly enough, things might finally change in January, when the merchandising license rights go back to Marvel

Uh, what? Has some new deal recently been struck? I thought FOX owned those rights indefinitely as long as they continue to make a film every seven years (not a problem for X-Men, FF is in question though). In the meantime, Marvel isn't doing ANY merchandising related to any of those characters because they gain such a small share of the profits. In fact, just the other day I saw someone wearing a tee-shirt from the original Secret Wars limited series (cover from issue #1) and it had the X-Men and FF removed from the artwork.

I asked the guy where Reed Richards was (originally stretching across the battlefield) and the guy said, "Who?"

Yeah, I think that person is confused. Marvel's always had the merchandising rights for the X-Men (and I believe F4) characters, they just have chosen not to use them. There are new rumors floating around that this may change, though, basically since Marvel Studios (the movie division) and Marvel Comics (who run the comic book, merchandising, and TV division) are basically separate entities now both under the Disney umbrella, and getting the movie rights back does nothing to help the Marvel Comics side of the company (which is the side that supposedly instituted the ban in the first place).
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Marvel's always had the merchandising rights for the X-Men (and I believe F4) characters, they just have chosen not to use them.

The way I understand it is Marvel gets a small % of any profits from film and merchandising for characters licensed to Fox. This is why you never see action figures for things like X-Men Apocalypse while the aisles are flooded with Avengers toys. The percentage is such a paltry sum it isn't in Disney's interest to commission such things. They're not interested in promoting those characters, which is why there isn't even a monthly FF book anymore. The only reason they keep publishing X-Men is because of their popularity and the books sell well.

This arrangement was made long before the creation of Marvel Studios and the sale to Disney, of course. I've heard this has led to a cold war between Fox and Disney - Marvel desperately wants the X/FF franchises back (probably the X-Men more given how Fox has treated the FF) and isn't willing to do anything additional to promote those characters for the betterment of Fox. Thus the ban.

The arrangement with Sony over Spider-Man has been much more amicable, thank goodness, evidenced by Sony's willingness to let Marvel Studios share Spider-Man.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    Marvel's always had the merchandising rights for the X-Men (and I believe F4) characters, they just have chosen not to use them.

The way I understand it is Marvel gets a small % of any profits from film and merchandising for characters licensed to Fox. This is why you never see action figures for things like X-Men Apocalypse while the aisles are flooded with Avengers toys. The percentage is such a paltry sum it isn't in Disney's interest to commission such things. They're not interested in promoting those characters, which is why there isn't even a monthly FF book anymore. The only reason they keep publishing X-Men is because of their popularity and the books sell well.

This arrangement was made long before the creation of Marvel Studios and the sale to Disney, of course. I've heard this has led to a cold war between Fox and Disney - Marvel desperately wants the X/FF franchises back (probably the X-Men more given how Fox has treated the FF) and isn't willing to do anything additional to promote those characters for the betterment of Fox. Thus the ban.

The arrangement with Sony over Spider-Man has been much more amicable, thank goodness, evidenced by Sony's willingness to let Marvel Studios share Spider-Man.
    It's also why we will probably never see a mark buffalo hulk movie because I think universal still holds the rights to the hulk. They are allowed to use him in other movies just not a stand alone.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Another character that will take dust on my shelf..... I am not excited at all....

just wait : This means that I don't have to grind that HOOD+MAG node icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

This week-end I will find better things to do : thank you Devs icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Danletendre
    Options
    How is that going to work for DDQ? We will need a version that is 5/0/5? Otherwise as soon as you gather over 14 AP of the other colors, you're "screwed" for the rest of the fight with no way to spend those AP.

Sounds lame to me.
  • Koffitok
    Options
    How is that going to work for DDQ? We will need a version that is 5/0/5? Otherwise as soon as you gather over 14 AP of the other colors, you're "screwed" for the rest of the fight with no way to spend those AP.

Sounds lame to me.
    it says the swapped ability drains your highest ap pools, so it would eventually switch back I assume? That said, the ddq 4 star missions are supposed to be challenging and puzzle like, so I'm sure there would be some kind of strategy with whatever opponent they choose. Part of that strategy will probably be "don't match colors you don't need"
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Koffitok wrote:

Sounds lame to me.
    it says the swapped ability drains your highest ap pools, so it would eventually switch back I assume? That said, the ddq 4 star missions are supposed to be challenging and puzzle like, so I'm sure there would be some kind of strategy with whatever opponent they choose. Part of that strategy will probably be "don't match colors you don't need"

He'll probably be matched against Black Panther, so after Panther slashes you in the face with his black, you'll gain 5 AP of the strongest color which will probably drain and kill you next turn icon_lol.gif
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Smudge wrote:
    I'm just not a fan of this guy at this point in time. I guess the AI will be great at playing him.

It seems like a passive-aggressive way for them to troll the player base.
    They make characters that have powers with terrible bordering on unusable side-effects, and then let the AI go to town with them.
    The AI has no long term consequences after the match is over, so self damage characters aren't a thing for them.
  • karlosdj
    karlosdj Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    oddly now pulled from the site completely................
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    A character with a drawback that slows you down needs a payoff that speeds you up, so that the risk is worth it.

Make his black generate AP and everyone's complaints will go away. Like, "5 black, put a 1 turn CD on the board that generates 10 AP of a random color. Then if you have more than 14 in any color, drain it all and do 3.5k damage and destroy that many random tiles."

There you go. Hard (but possible sometimes) to control, represents going on a rampage nicely, but not inherently frustrating if it happens.