MPQ at Marvel.com: Agent Venom Arrives

Options

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Marvel.com: Who does he fight well with? I imagine he’s got at least alittle synergy with the Guardians of the Galaxy right?

::Looks for the standard "everyone goes well with Star-Lord" response::

Seriously, the question is asking if he goes well with a GOTG character, yet there is no mention of Star-Lord. SL reduces AP costs by 2, which would help Venom not damage himself.. oh well icon_lol.gif
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Just give us spider ham already...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I see Venom as BSSM best friend with star lord. You make BSSM invisable and let BSSM crush people with his blue now costing 4 blue could be nasty.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Does his yellow work with airborne or stunned allies?
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm actually pretty excited. And it looks like they got the art right; it's been more miss than hit recently.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    New character earned by playing the Simulator.....booooooooooo!

Edit - posting when you don't read properly - boooooooooooooo! (yeah...I missed the fact that he's earned in TaT icon_redface.gif )
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I’d have to see how he plays in practice, but its sounds like Peggy would be especially painful for him to go against, driving up his ap costs so he’s almost guaranteed to go over that trigger mark.

A shame, the Flash Venom is really the only version of Venom I’ve liked over the years (sorry but Eddie Brock has always been a terrible character with even worse characterization), but he’s going to spend a lot time “wrestling with the symbiote” on the lower end of my roster.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Really don't care who they release as it'll take months to get the character useable.

I'm still waiting to play around with my 2 cover spider woman or 1 cover moon knight.

But sweet for them, as they'll get a one week surge in HP buys for roster spots.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Berserk Al wrote:
    Fun how it appears with three different characters but not his original host (hint: give us symbiote Spider-Man please).

I thought that's what 5-star Spider-Man was, but apparently not!

"In rare, dark times when Peter Parker was pushed past his breaking point by his enemies, he donned a replica of that black suit and uncharacteristically embraced his rage, showing villains that even Spider-Man isn't always so friendly."

This delegitimizes him as a 5-star character, if he's just Peter Parker in a different color fabric.

I assumed it was the symbiote that gave him his invisibility powers, but apparently he just "darts through the shadows, using his foe's confusion to disappear completely."

And if he's not having his strength reinforced by the symbiote, how is it that he "grabs a nearby parked car and hurls a 2 ton fastball"? From what I'm reading now online he apparently can lift ~10 tons, but I honestly don't remember that ever being canonical in the comics. Like, anything of roughly car weight would be doable but a struggle?
  • DAC169
    DAC169 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yellow looks fantastic and red looks great, but black is terrible. Damage is good, but the downside is just impossible to ignore. Whole point of the game is to save AP to deal a bunch of damage at once. Kinda reminds me of when 4* Venom (Eddie Brock) was released - everyone was saying his black was terrible. Except this time you can't put it at 5 covers to remove the downside, only delay it.

irwando wrote:
    Another character no one has been asking for! Yay! Forget that list of characters we want, because that would be too much fun!
    You must not have been reading the forums because I've seen him requested a lot.

Berserk Al wrote:
    Fun how it appears with three different characters but not his original host (hint: give us symbiote Spider-Man please).
    They're saving him for 6 star.png tier. icon_lol.gif

EDIT: Calling it now! Everyone who gets a cover from Thick As Thieves progression gets his black cover, yellow only goes to the very top players. Also, black for Simulator progression (or maybe red if they feel generous).
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    rbdragon wrote:
    New character earned by playing the Simulator.....booooooooooo!
    Well, depends on what you mean by "earned" I guess...
    Agent Venom is available starting on November 17 and can be earned in the Thick as Thieves Event that same day and will also be available in the Simulator Story Event Vault on November 21.
    He will be a placement prize in Thick as Thieves (which starts this Thursday) and then will be in the Simulator vault after that. I would expect him to be the 4* progression reward in Simulator as well for SCL7+ so if that's what you mean by "earn", then yes, you can earn him from Simulator.

To me, his best build sounds like 5/0/5. His black power sounds more annoying than helpful. Coincidentally (?), I feel the same way about the other 4* Venom... and I actually had him at 5/0/5 for quite some time (just finally pulled my first black cover for him not too long ago) due to RNG but I wasn't complaining about it, really.

About the only way I think Agent Venom's black would be tolerable if if you built up 14 AP in a color that your team doesn't need, and he just reduces that color's AP. The self-damage doesn't bother me so much (at least it's not your entire team -- looking at you Sentry and Carnage) as the friendly passive AP draining. Between this and 4* Blade, why is friendly AP drain the hot new power? It takes the control of when we want to fire powers/use AP away from players... I'm not a fan.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would of been excited if this was another 3*...

And I'm super glad it ISN'T another 3*. Let's move forwards not backward.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm thinking 3/5/5. The red is a little vague, does the 12 ap in red count before you use the power? Then it would only get used at 12 ap instead of 10, but I assume the red ap is used before checking if there is 12 ap for the extra damage. I like the black before it changes, looks pretty strong. Yellow seems pretty good. I guess there's no invisibility tiles for this power too?
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow I won't even roster this guy lol.

You guys need to balance check these before putting them in game.

Drawbacks don't work in a game where you have characters who can just tear everyone else a new one in 5 turns give or take.

There are too many way better 4 stars already to poop this guy out.

The 5 star tier isn't looming, it's here.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Looks like another turd. They haven't released a solid 4* in quite some time. Maybe they should stop releasing new characters and fix all the **** ones instead. That should keep them busy for quite a while. Really losing interest in this game, don't know if i'll even bother grinding for this dud.
  • Mon-El
    Mon-El Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Where's Medusa already?
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    broll wrote:
    I would of been excited if this was another 3*...

And I'm super glad it ISN'T another 3*. Let's move forwards not backward.

And upwards, not forwards.
    And always whirling, whirling towards oblivion.
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Can nobody read? He is not earned in the Simulator. His first appearance in the game is as an earnable prize in Thick as Thieves. I'd prefer The Simulator though! Btw, he's got some really good upside here...just be patient and see how he plays. Geez, his stats aren't even up yet!
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Berserk Al wrote:
    It's a new character AND a variant. Its Flash Thompson's debut, but the symbiote was already here. Fun how it appears with three different characters but not his original host (hint: give us symbiote Spider-Man please).
    I am liking this character, despite not being fan of Flash.
    Really? So, a 4 star.png Spider Man and a Venom variant, meaning he can't work with either other Legendary Venom. Probably avoid this one.
    Arphaxad wrote:
    Disney's ban on mutants is starting to hurt MPQ. This one shows the thin character pool they are pulling from.
    I'd look at the Blade variant as a "thin pool" symptom over Agent Venom. Flash has had relevancy for some time. I do agree that some mutants are needed. Shadowcat would be nice to add in with GotG 2. And despite the several Wolverine relatives, Sabertooth is a glaring absence. He was turned into a throw-away like Darth Maul, despite getting more substantial screen time in X-Men Origins. When Kate Bishop's powers were teased, it was around the time of X-Men Apocalypse, and I thought, "Archangel? Horseman of Death Daken?" Yeah, that would be a variant, but at least relevant to Apocalypse.
    Kolence wrote:
    Does his yellow work with airborne or stunned allies?
    Pretty sure not with airborne. It's a sort of "removed from play" status. But since the ally isn't the one firing the power, a stunned ally should still get the invisibility. Pretty sure Invisible Woman can stealth a stunned ally if the health is low enough.

blackflag.png Looks iffy. The damage goes to 4K at rank 5, but that's a 5+2 AP cost. Which is still better direct damage than X-Force. Probably better to compare it to Holding Back, with similar damage for a slight cost difference, and a condition that makes it better rather than worse. The change to Alien Weakness could be reasonably left in without the self damage and the 5+2 cost wouldn't be particularly over powered to the damage it does since the control loss is still a drawback.

A bit more concerning that Military Might was the only power previewed in screen shots. I'm sure we're all awaiting the numbers to be posted for the other two powers.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    And now one of the few villains in this game is getting a hero equivalent. We have had one playable villain this year... someone wake me up when they release another villain, then I will be excited about a new character.