A season after cupcakes were killed - yeah or nay?

atomzed
atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
A season has passed since cupcakes were killed.

While there is still the option of grilling (putting in a loaner or lower level character), it is no longer the same level as cupcakes. for cupcakes, you could clear it quickly even with a 3* team. For grilling, it's very tough to do so with a 3* team.

i noticed that this has stopped the points inflation, especially in thee middle tier. Why do i say so? because of my 46th rank placement in season. In the past 3 seasons, i will hit 1300 almost every pvp, and i will still be outside of top 50.

but this season, i only hit 1200 AND there were at least 3-4 pvp which i only hit 1000. and yet i gotten top 50? this is surprising.

what are your thoughts of the post cupcake era?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    This was probably my best PVP season in a while, and I STILL don't play PVP near as much as I do PVE.

I don't know if it was the death of cupcakes (I don't play at a high enough tier for that to amount to much for me) or changes to defensive wins/losses, but I hit 4k for the Heroic 10-pack for the first time in several seasons.

I play most events to somewhere between 300-575, and I seldom ever shield. While I'd love to hit 2000 in SHIELD Simulator, I don't think that's really feasible without either being able to figure out the perfect day/time for the final push, or shielding along the way. By the time I hit 1500 or so in the Sim, all the fights available to me look like slogs and I just lose interest.

But the Heroic 10-pack worked out quite well for me this season, so I'll call the season a win for me overall.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Needs another option: "It's somewhat worse now but I have adapted".
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    I'm in a clearance 7 with a 3* tear roaster. Before I were never able to hit a top 100 (except luck of late event start). And I'm still not.

However on matching, now I can finally enjoy PVP. I find matching somehow to my level. I can hit 400 points per event, compared to roughly 200 max previously.

In conclusion, a slight improvement.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Feels the same: Run amok with my "You don't wanna waste your time" team, take the four or five attacks which lose about 100 points, do another 600 pt climb.

Never really used cupcakes, so plowing through twenty 30-ish matches because I know they won't retaliate isn't anything new to me tbh
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Positive change for me but not as enthusiastic as the positive response in the poll.

Lowering the 4* awards to 900 means I can hit it easily in many cases. Natural progression of my roster is helping as well. The 1k threshold was a bit more stressful but also doable for me. I have gotten to 1.2k once since the change (don't remember which PvP) and never to 1.3k before. Also adding the CP at 575 was a great change as now I get them in every PvP (my minimum goal if I am taking less time playing).

Overall experience of the PvP is the same. If I have good boosted 4* I will breeze to 900. If I don't - i will struggle hitting it and if the reward is not worth it I will stop around 800. Business as usual.
  • bOmbast
    bOmbast Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Coubii wrote:
    I'm in a clearance 7 with a 3* tear roaster. Before I were never able to hit a top 100 (except luck of late event start). And I'm still not.

However on matching, now I can finally enjoy PVP. I find matching somehow to my level. I can hit 400 points per event, compared to roughly 200 max previously.

Seriously? I have a 3* roster - And I managed ~800 before I learned how to eat CCs, 1200+ for the season before it got killed - and now I hit 900 most PVP events (often top 10, always top 25).

A 3* roster should make 600 from 2 hours of play - both now and before the change. Same with the 4K ten pack. A minimum of effort and it's yours. Might require a shield at the end though.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Definitely a YAY for me. Whether it's due to the loss of cupcakes, or SCL, or my better roster, or all of the above this Power Gem season is the best PVP experience for me to date; both in enjoyment and reward.

Getting past 575 was only a dream in the past. Now I can gun for 800 if RL is quiet. Finishing T100 was a slog in the past, now I have twice made it to T25. It's fun!
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    "cupcakes"?
  • Kjempen
    Kjempen Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    bOmbast wrote:
    Coubii wrote:

Seriously? I have a 3* roster - And I managed ~800 before I learned how to eat CCs, 1200+ for the season before it got killed - and now I hit 900 most PVP events (often top 10, always top 25).

A 3* roster should make 600 from 2 hours of play - both now and before the change. Same with the 4K ten pack. A minimum of effort and it's yours. Might require a shield at the end though.

Well, that is your experience... Over the time I've learnt that PVP struggles can vary 'slightly' from player to player depending on if you're on the lucky or the unlucky side of MMR. It's not long since I had problems floating at about 450 points in PVP. As soon as I got too near 500 points I would have multiple defensive losses, and I could go through an entire season having just 3-4 defensive wins in total (and much more than 20 defensive losses every PVP) . This was when I had almost all 3*s champed. Now it is more comfortable. Now I can easily float at about 500-600 points, and I'm able to hit 900+ points with some effort and shielding. For me it's been like a roller coaster, as soon as I hit a new 'plateau' the difficulty gets bumped up several notches. And then I have to climb up to that 'comfortable' /manageable level again.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does anyone else find it funny that the yay-Sayers that posted give reasons that have nothing to do with CC's? Or talk about scores where they wouldn't even see a cc in the old system, but now can see the Grills?
  • bOmbast
    bOmbast Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Fair enough. But
    I never claimed I could float unattacked or never shield though. I still can't float above 400 overnight without halving my score (or, when I recently champed 4Cyc as my first 4* I could float at 600).

However, two 1hour bursts of play should get a 3* roster past 600 in my experience. Then if you wanna keep the score for Season purposes, you shield.

I have noticed that the climb to 600 is easier now though, hardly any hits. So the 10 CP is freely available, which is good. What happens as soon as you close in on 700 points is a different story, however.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a team of champed 5s and before I always got to 1300 but I was almost never top50. Now I have a bit more work to get to 1200 but when I do I am always top25.

Soooo... I guess this is better for me, but truth to be told, the best is the 10CPs at 575. If for some reason I can't play in one PvP a lot, at least I can get to 575 and get some CPs. This is cool, and probably it makes things better all around for me. This also makes things a bit better for people that now can't get to 1200 (better this than nothing I guess).

I hope SCL8 will add 5 CPs or more to the progression rewards (30 instead of 25). Yeah I know, I am a dreamer icon_razz.gif
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed wrote:
    A season has passed since cupcakes were killed.

While there is still the option of grilling (putting in a loaner or lower level character), it is no longer the same level as cupcakes. for cupcakes, you could clear it quickly even with a 3* team. For grilling, it's very tough to do so with a 3* team.

i noticed that this has stopped the points inflation, especially in thee middle tier. Why do i say so? because of my 46th rank placement in season. In the past 3 seasons, i will hit 1300 almost every pvp, and i will still be outside of top 50.

but this season, i only hit 1200 AND there were at least 3-4 pvp which i only hit 1000. and yet i gotten top 50? this is surprising.

what are your thoughts of the post cupcake era?

That's just favorable bracketing, my 13735 season score landed me outside T50
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm liking it. Hitting 900 with relative ease still (12x 4* champs), generally top 25, occasionally top 10, rather than 50/25. That's normally with 1 shield at the end to hold the score. Lower HP costs and more prizes for slightly less effort.
  • SummerGlau
    No Change for me (CL7) I still become an attack magnet at or around the same Magic Number (575 or so)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    This was my best season yet, though I think the fact that my roster has evolved is more the cause than cupcakes. I can't really say if it's all that different because I rarely tried other than SHIELD simulator in previous seasons.
  • SummerGlau
    Now That I have a decent amount of 3 Star Champions I kinda like SHIELD Simulator
    with no Characters Powered up you see a wider Variety of 3 Star Champions
  • dudethtsawesome
    dudethtsawesome Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I ranked higher with the same score with the same amount of shields used than I have in previous seasons. I generally only use 1 shield in any pvp, usually the 3 hr just to save hp.

I like the cp at 575 but I think it's made me lazy now once I get it, I lose motivation to go higher with the events that are a slog.

Either way, the only difference I've really noticed this season compared to the last few is the point value of the matches are lower. The 60+ point matches are few and far between now.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a person with a 420 oml, I could easily hit 1300 most pvps with a single hop. But now, since my oml isn't champed, I give up after 900. Sure, I could probably struggle to get to 1200, but I don't have that available free time to do multiple hops and shielding. Don't cry for me though.. it's my fault for not wanting to invest 3x the work that I used to in order to win the same prize!

Besides, with all of my champ farming, I'm doing okay... my 5* teams are still slowly but surely growing... look out for my fully-colored 5-cover bruce banner omg lol!!!!

So, I voted that it's worse. I hope they add in some rewards between 900 and 1200 (and maybe even more rewards after 1200) to encourage more people to hop past 900... so that I can have more targets to hit other than 20-30 point targets to hit after 900, meanwhile I'm getting losses of 70 points for each 20 point victory.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's hard to say for sure because the death of the cakes somewhat coincides with the bracket splitting via clearance levels.

Sure, placement is easier for me despite lower scoring, but it's hard to say how much of that has come from some people splitting off into CL6 when they don't want the 4* reward (or want an easier time gunning for 1st)

I also made the leap from 4->5* play in the interim, so my experience is further clouded by that.

Honestly, it comes down to the Sentry nerf, true healing, etc...it's a change I haven't really thought about since the first few days after it was made (at least before today.) The game keeps making changes, you evolve or you quit. Both are fine.