Unholy Outlaw - Round 2 - March 28-30

Comments

• morgh wrote:
    bugged game is full of bugs ;p

not that I am complaining...

Morgh just admit it, you're a cyber ninja icon_e_surprised.gif
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had dreams of getting that progression hood cover and the crushing of those dreams went a little like this:

Got to about 750
    "oh look it's evilsongoku, not gonna win that" *skip*
    "Hmm, bubbleboy. He's from shield too, I remember him from my pve bracket" *skip*
    "Jachdo just hit me atleast it was only -10. That's a retaliation I have no interest in..." *skip*
    *sees the ladder* DAMN IT ALL!

So feast on my carcass shield and the rest of the uber elite. I've flown too high on wings of pastrami
  • Doesn't seem very competitive. I went to bed at #4 and woke up still at #4. #1 only has about 600 points.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Went to bed at #2 and woke up this morning to #1 after 3 successful defenses and no succeeding attacks.
  • Doesn't seem very competitive. I went to bed at #4 and woke up still at #4. #1 only has about 600 points.

Yep, in my bracket 600 would be good for #2 too, a single guy went over 900 second around 550. Zero people shielded.

Guess some play will start around -8h.
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    pasa_ wrote:
    Doesn't seem very competitive. I went to bed at #4 and woke up still at #4. #1 only has about 600 points.

Yep, in my bracket 600 would be good for #2 too, a single guy went over 900 second around 550. Zero people shielded.

Yeah I don't go much if anywhere over 500 until 9h before the end at the earliest, because I don't want to appear as a big fat target for everyone else and I refuse to use more HP on shields than I'm making back from the tournament. So at -9h I start, push as high as a I can and then shield for 8. Usually easy Top10. I might go for 3h shields too if the event ends at a good time, but ouf of the last 10 PvP events, I think 7 or 8 ended in the middle of the night... as a EU player you need to be happy with the scraps from the US table.
  • KaioShinDE wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    Doesn't seem very competitive. I went to bed at #4 and woke up still at #4. #1 only has about 600 points.

Yeah I don't go much if anywhere over 500 until 9h before the end at the earliest, because I don't want to appear as a big fat target for everyone else and I refuse to use more HP on shields than I'm making back from the tournament. So at -9h I start, push as high as a I can and then shield for 8. Usually easy Top10. I might go for 3h shields too if the event ends at a good time, but ouf of the last 10 PvP events, I think 7 or 8 ended in the middle of the night... as a EU player you need to be happy with the scraps from the US table.
    Honestly I very much prefer when the tourney ends at 5am (currently 6am) than 6pm. 6pm is the time when I'm either at work, driving from work or spending time with my GF.

What's the amount of pts for #1 in Your brackets?

In mine, I'm shielded at 736pts.
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    I have EvilSonGoku in my bracket, so I won't even try going much over 700 if at all, not worth it.
  • I had dreams of getting that progression hood cover and the crushing of those dreams went a little like this:

Got to about 750
    "oh look it's evilsongoku, not gonna win that" *skip*
    "Hmm, bubbleboy. He's from shield too, I remember him from my pve bracket" *skip*
    "Jachdo just hit me atleast it was only -10. That's a retaliation I have no interest in..." *skip*
    *sees the ladder* DAMN IT ALL!

So feast on my carcass shield and the rest of the uber elite. I've flown too high on wings of pastrami

Yeah, seeing members of SHIELD as your opponents is an easy way to know that it's time to lower your MMR.
  • Emeryt wrote:
    Honestly I very much prefer when the tourney ends at 5am (currently 6am) than 6pm. 6pm is the time when I'm either at work, driving from work or spending time with my GF.

What's the amount of pts for #1 in Your brackets?

In mine, I'm shielded at 736pts.
    I also prefer it when it ends earlier. Only in my case it is 6am instead of 7am. I can stay up until 3am in order to use a 3h shield, but 4am is pushing it.
    #1 in mine is 817. Retaliations were hard in this one and I had to shield earlier than I intended. What bothers me immensely is that some players with 80-100 points somehow find me when I am at 600+ and hit for 40+ points. Yet for some reason when I start in a tournament I can never find anyone with more than 200-300 points than me even though there are players with 500+. How is this possible? And then when I get to 600-700 the game offers the same 10 opponents. Is it my bad luck or is it the same for everyone? New and gold characters are fine, but they should fix the stupid matchmaking system. Currently I am #4 with 709 and I am fairly certain this will be enough for top 10 so at least I have the 2 BP covers to soften the blow.
  • It's a matchmaking feature that those on "top" (unsure if it starts from some points or local position or global position) are offered for beat-up to a much wider circle, ignoring MMR and/or point closeness.

Part of the plan to force people use shields.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Just for curiosity's sake, 4 of the top 10 in my bracket are un-affiliated...non-alliance.
  • mouser
    C'mon Nemek, you don't need that IW cover.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    mouser wrote:

But I've got to get alliance points! But uhh...I'm shielded now, will probably get another 20ish points when I need to refresh my shield in 3 hours. So, if you get 930+, I likely won't chase unless the alliance rank is in jeopardy.
  • Nemek wrote:
    mouser wrote:

But I've got to get alliance points! But uhh...I'm shielded now, will probably get another 20ish points when I need to refresh my shield in 3 hours. So, if you get 930+, I likely won't chase unless the alliance rank is in jeopardy.

I parked up on 904 points behind leader (Rezin1234 from FittedKitchens) who is on 914 and has no IW yellow (mine has yellow maxed). I had to make sure I chose a low point fight so I didn't overtake him, and now have to hope no-one loses to me & boosts me above him. If I do overtake him while shielded, he'll probably think I'm being greedy going for #1.
  • mouser
    Nemek wrote:
    mouser wrote:

Heh, no worries. Bad side effect of the Alliances. The best laid intentions of mice and men as they say icon_e_smile.gif

My options got horrible once I hit 800, doubt I'll be chasing unless they improve greatly.
  • I shielded at about 800 with 8 hours left and threw up an 8-hour shield. Have one defensive win since, pushing me to 817 and #1, though #2 isn't far behind. I tend to doubt I"ll break shields regardless; the only way is if I'm up at the very end and can change things, but I kinda doubt it.

This was a weird one - at the beginning I was pretty tanky, but by this afternoon I was getting matched to walkyourpath and Jachdo and had to spend ten minutes retreating in SHIELD training just to see reasonable matches (my highest leveled character is only 81st). They really, really need to fix matchmaking at some point. I wish I could believe they're ever going to.
  • mouser wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    mouser wrote:

Heh, no worries. Bad side effect of the Alliances. The best laid intentions of mice and men as they say icon_e_smile.gif

My options got horrible once I hit 800, doubt I'll be chasing unless they improve greatly.

I have another SHIELD member in my bracket who has both IW and BP maxed but still went for over 1000 points.

Alliances are keeping end game players competitive in every tournament whereas in the past people would 500 and tank.

Couldn't care less about IW and my x force is maxed so I'm happy with top 5.
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I shielded at about 800 with 8 hours left and threw up an 8-hour shield. Have one defensive win since, pushing me to 817 and #1, though #2 isn't far behind. I tend to doubt I"ll break shields regardless; the only way is if I'm up at the very end and can change things, but I kinda doubt it.

This was a weird one - at the beginning I was pretty tanky, but by this afternoon I was getting matched to walkyourpath and Jachdo and had to spend ten minutes retreating in SHIELD training just to see reasonable matches (my highest leveled character is only 81st). They really, really need to fix matchmaking at some point. I wish I could believe they're ever going to.

The only problem with that is if you've got 800 in pvp you should be facing those guys. If your highest guy is only 81 it's kinda unrealistic to want to be winning tournaments

It seems that aside from mmr there's also a point based mmr where once you have x points you show up against similar performing players. I cant really complain too much about that in terms of fairness
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    I shielded at about 800 with 8 hours left and threw up an 8-hour shield. Have one defensive win since, pushing me to 817 and #1, though #2 isn't far behind. I tend to doubt I"ll break shields regardless; the only way is if I'm up at the very end and can change things, but I kinda doubt it.

The only problem with that is if you've got 800 in pvp you should be facing those guys. If your highest guy is only 81 it's kinda unrealistic to want to be winning tournaments

It seems that aside from mmr there's also a point based mmr where once you have x points you show up against similar performing players. I cant really complain too much about that in terms of fairness

Well... yes and no.

I've won a few tourneys with 85s. That was before the change to let the mid-tier breach the 700s easily and run into the 141s in the 800s.

I ran 70 Hood + 85 OBW + 100 MThor and shielded at 820. Didn't really encounter any heavy pushback until 750 and even then I was able to brute force to over 800.

In the last tourney that most high-end rosters were skipping because they already had Patch builds, many mid-tiers hit 750 quite easily. 700 is rather easy to hit for a roster of 85s nowadays and has quickly become the minimum for top 10s, especially with alliance ranking "encouraging" players to push harder than before. Heck, this thread alone has enough examples of this.

Should mid-tiers win tourneys? Debatable. In the absence of any 120+ rosters in a bracket, it is completely possible. With time, this won't occur anymore as power creep will ensure that there are at least 1 or 2 players with 120+ rosters in each bracket. I do agree that 800+, players should be expected to fight end-game rosters. Granted the numbers on the point scale are relative to whatever D3 sets them at, but 800+ is currently the high-end of the PvP scale and players should expect to face high-end rosters there.