Why I hate PVP

Evilgenius_9
Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Ok, background - I am a 4* transitioner. JG, IW and electra champed, a decent amount high level. 30 some 3* 's champed. I've never reached 900/ 1000 in pvp. Today is a great example why. Combined arms -get to 860. Fight was queued for 44. Fight, win. Come out and the win takes me 'back' up to 796. Every time I shield and get close this happens.
I guess I should be happy I can at least pretty easily hit 575 and get the 10cp now. Sigh.

Comments

• halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Those are some particularly bad 4*s for pvp/this event. Just bad cover luck i think.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Do you use line? Are you in a PVP alliance with truces? Are you active in battle chats?

Any / All of the above will be a big help to progression - so many others are that if your not and your a target someone in one can hit without shield checking you they'll swing quickly and often as its an easy option for them.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok, background - I am a 4* transitioner. JG, IW and electra champed
    The fact that you mentioned IW and Elektra suggests you might be using them. Don't. Especially in an event like this where everything is buffed, putting either of those out there is like tossing chum.
  • Markot
    Markot Posts: 86 Match Maker
    For me, Combined Arms was first PVP event where I managed to get 4* progression (I really wanted Peggy's yellow as it was the only completely missing power in 1-4* land in my roster). But I still hate PVP for similar reasons as Evilgenius. I know, there is possibility to use line rooms. But I don't think this is the way it should be. I don't understand why you are supposed to switch to other app and ask there somebody for something to be able to reach progression rewards.

And I have one more reason - I choose a fight, win and get less points than it showed. In combined arms I had 830 points and active 24hour shield. Unshielded, won 1 battle quickly, got 46 points. With 876 points I have chosen some fight showing 35 points. I won it and got only 9 points icon_evil.gif - so I still was under 900 points. And during 3rd battle in a row I was attacked and lost few more points than gained. I had to shield again, wait a hour and then unshield for one fight to get past 900 progression.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I don't hate PvP; in fact I think it's a lot better than it used to be with 10 CP prize moved down to 575 and the 4* moved to 900. I do still think that the mechanics are bad though. For the people who really need the 4* cover to progress in the game they are always going to be part of a very small pool of people available to hit when they are over 800 points and unshielded. That means every person who is climbing from the 700's down to the 100's will see them as a great target.

I climbed to 900 last night with Cyclops, IM40 and Moonstone and it was a reasonably fast team that was not taking much damage. Even with 1 day and 5 or 6 hours left in the event I was getting hit just slightly less often then I was winning a match past about 780 points. My points were going 2 steps forward then one step back.

When I got the Peggy cover I put down my phone and went to do something else. I came back to check 45 minutes later and I was down to 680 points. When I got up this morning I was at about 500. I'm done with the event so I'm not worried about the score but those losses just feel extreme. If you want to post a high score you have to shield which means there are fewer available targets and the few unshielded people get hammered excessively.
  • JFisch
    JFisch Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Combined Arms is both good and bad for the same reason. With each team requiring a 2/3/4* character, everyone is on equal(ish) footing so you have many more targets available to you. However, everyone is on equal(ish) footing so fewer people will see your team and decide to skip it because of who is on it.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    alphabeta wrote:
    Do you use line? Are you in a PVP alliance with truces? Are you active in battle chats?

This aggravates me.

I'm impressed that the community is there. I'm impressed there's that level of cooperation.

I'm infuriated that if you DON'T participate in that community, you basically can't compete. The in-game chat is certainly not sufficient. You can't even access it while playing a match.

I'm also a transitioning 4* player, but I don't use the communication tools. I barely have enough time to play, much less text my alliance in an outside app to find out when to shield or how many skips I need to find a juicy queue.

There are levels to the game, and I respect that. I've never hit the 4* cover in PvP, and I doubt I ever will. Admitting to myself that I'm "minor league" is a bitter pill to swallow, but that's what it is. If you're not willing to put in that kind of effort, you'll never be top-tier.

It's still mostly fun, though.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    alphabeta wrote:

I hate this. We should not have to sign Peace Treaties just to play PVP. This is why I prefer PVE. I don't have to use LINE or any other method to progress or place well. I just want to play the game and earn rewards.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin wrote:
    This aggravates me.

I'm impressed that the community is there. I'm impressed there's that level of cooperation.

I'm infuriated that if you DON'T participate in that community, you basically can't compete.
    You know what aggravates and infuriates ME? Hyperbolic nonsense, such as this comment. There are plenty of people here who will tell you they do just fine without participating in any sort of shield checking. It's a nice help if you have a weak roster, but a blanket statement like, "you basically can't compete" without it, is total ****.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    Calnexin wrote:
    This aggravates me.

I'm infuriated that if you DON'T participate in that community, you basically can't compete.
    You know what aggravates and infuriates ME? Hyperbolic nonsense, such as this comment. There are plenty of people here who will tell you they do just fine without participating in any sort of shield checking. It's a nice help if you have a weak roster, but a blanket statement like, "you basically can't compete" without it, is total ****.

In reality, it's all about the covers. If my three champed 4's are boosted (Rulk, Cyc, and Hulkbuster) are boosted, i cruise through PvP (i hit 900 on Combined Arms yesterday. Down to 540 now, but since it's a non-season, who cares?). No Line needed. If not, then I usually struggle with hitting 800, which (correct me if i'm wrong) i believe is under the threshold of really benefitting from Line.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Much worse is when you are trying to get higher, but enemies are defeating you faster.
    AI often cant compete with real players so better roster wont help much.
    Best would be to split point into progress points (how much points you got total) and victory points (how much points you got, minus defeats).
    With this, we would be able to get higher progress rewards without being trolled by countless of defeats.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    Calnexin wrote:
    This aggravates me.

I am going to concur with simon and can speak from experience.
    A year ago I was not on line and hitting 1000 progression every PvP for about 6 months straight. Earning the 4 star cover and getting decent placement. This was all done without the benefit of cupcakes or any outside coordination.
    You do have to shield though, sure it sucks, but it makes life a lot easier.
    Once you are shielded you need to watch your leaderboard and people around you, check in regularly to see who is shielded and if you see someone with a high score hopping, try to q them up.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin wrote:
    alphabeta wrote:

This aggravates me.

I'm infuriated that if you DON'T participate in that community, you basically can't compete. ....
    there is such a misconception out here. I joined line a few months ago (can't remember exactly when). in those few months I've only actually been in a big BC in maybe 3 or 4 events. still hit progressions, still score top half in a t25 alliance. still t50 season most of the time. line isn't required. now that scores are less inflated, there is more of a roster level needed, but line and bcs are not a requirement. they can certainly help, but are by no means a requirement to do 'well'. if you want to absolutely maximize your potential - yes, its required, because of efficiency. but to benefit from most of the big BCs you have to be able to beat a champed 5*. that's the roster requirement. if you can't beat a champed 5*, many of the BCs wouldn't be very useful. so there is no magic button on line to push that automatically gets you 400 extra points. keep improving your roster and keep trying different slices (any except 2 are decent points, some better than others but that changes) and strategies and eventually something will work for you.

I think the OP may be running into some of their trouble because of putting iso/play/dependence on weaker characters like Elektra and susan. jean is solid but in pvp she might not even be t10 any more. to increase mmr and scaling on bottom tier toons is not the most efficient way to manage your roster and play difficulty, but everyone has their own favorites and likes/dislikes and styles. early on in any 4* transition I recommend starting with only the top characters. sell extra covers of MF and fury if you have to. getting any of the following as your first group can really be a huge help: ice, 4thor, rulk, cyke, hb, jean, peggy, pun, nova, and maybe xpool. that includes all the tier1 and most of tier2. start with the best because for any increased playing difficulty (mmr/scaling), you want a very good character do deal with the difficulty increase.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    I only have one champed 4* (thor), don't coordinate with anyone in or out of the game and have no problem hitting 900 whenever I feel like it. Push to 550-600 sit there until Im ready to do a quick push to 750-800 then shield. Wait 30-40 minutes to let attacks/retaliations come in. Queue two 50 point matches, do one hop hit 900. And if you're not worried about points or placement you don't even have to reshield. Communication or even a huge roster is not needed. Speed and technique are key though.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Im sorry but you probably made a mistake championing elektra and IW icon_e_sad.gif i cried thinking of the poor iso sacrifies to them.

You still have a nice asset on JG, I would build around her (IM40 or SW) focusing heavily on a proper partner (cyclops, thoress, iceman,nova)
  • BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Calnexin wrote:

This aggravates me.

I'm infuriated that if you DON'T participate in that community, you basically can't compete. The in-game chat is certainly not sufficient. You can't even access it while playing a match.

Like others have said, this is completely untrue. I went from the beginning to 5* tier without any Line use. I still don't use any BC currently. There was a short time recently I did use a BC and it didn't improve my performance one bit.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Not using iw or elektra in pvp, but champed to stop wasting covers. I have a usable 5* oml at 3/2/2 265. I'll use him sometimes, I don't know if he makes a difference to mmr.

I suppose my mistake is thinking I can do it with 1 shield. I guess it's too much time open even with 2 fights queued to get you to 900. Unshield, fight shield repeat. 225 hp isn't too bad for a 4* - maybe I'll try with Daken pvp (since I am now in the 500's again).

I love the idea of 2 counts, one total for progress and a second that includes losses for placement.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    alphabeta wrote:

I hate this. We should not have to sign Peace Treaties just to play PVP. This is why I prefer PVE. I don't have to use LINE or any other method to progress or place well. I just want to play the game and earn rewards.

Line CAN be a big help but is not needed to get to 900+. I often jump in a different slice than my alliance and have zero communication with anyone and can hit 900 no problem. I'm also have 3 4star champed.

My advice is to start early, less people to snipe you and more time to climb. Shield around high 700 and then when you hop you have a chance to get to 900. Don't use the teams that were there when you shielded. Their point value can be greatly reduced by the time you get to them.

Lastly, this game is based on who you have. If I see someone out with IW or Electra I'm gonna hit them. I know that sucks because you've poured time and ISO into them but the truth is both of those are punching bags.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Not using iw or elektra in pvp, but champed to stop wasting covers. I have a usable 5* oml at 3/2/2 265. I'll use him sometimes, I don't know if he makes a difference to mmr.

I suppose my mistake is thinking I can do it with 1 shield. I guess it's too much time open even with 2 fights queued to get you to 900. Unshield, fight shield repeat. 225 hp isn't too bad for a 4* - maybe I'll try with Daken pvp (since I am now in the 500's again).

I love the idea of 2 counts, one total for progress and a second that includes losses for placement.

Didn't see this when commented on iw / Elektra. However, 265 OML isn't scaring anyone off either and isn't going to change mmr since you have 3 4s champed. Even though you may not use them in PVP, you are getting harder ques and other people in 4star transition are finding you even though you may be rocking a 3star team for fights.

Don't get discouraged. A couple of covers of the right person can make a huge positive impact for you.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Ok, background - I am a 4* transitioner. JG, IW and electra champed, a decent amount high level. 30 some 3* 's champed. I've never reached 900/ 1000 in pvp. Today is a great example why. Combined arms -get to 860. Fight was queued for 44. Fight, win. Come out and the win takes me 'back' up to 796. Every time I shield and get close this happens.
    I guess I should be happy I can at least pretty easily hit 575 and get the 10cp now. Sigh.

I have 0 champed 4*'s and hit 958 in combined arms, good for T25. I'm currently 2nd in fatal attraction, granted it's early. The only PvP I haven't hit 900 was devil dino, I got to 860.
    Someone mentioned line. It wasn't long ago I railed against line out of misinformation. I was invited in and PvP is a different experience. You learn a ton that'll improve your play and make your PvP time more efficient. Get line, wreck PvP, be happy.