I just mentioned this today to a friend
    bbigler wrote:
    - Spiderman's Stun attack used to cost 2 Blue AP
    don't forget to mention Spiderman 3* was the best character in the game
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    I remember when there was only ONE PERSON in the entire game who had xfw, the only 4*, fully covered and maxed with ISO, and everyone on the forums knew who he was.
    "

Colognoisseur?

'Member when Xforce was the only 4* and he sucked?

'Member when Rag/Storm was cancer?

'Member when they nerfed Rag's red and everyone cried?

'Member when this game was good?
  • Kelbris
    Options
    Chronicler wrote:
    ...The 166 wall.
    ...2 hour node refreshes.
    ...Normal and Hard subs in PVE.
    ...Community mayhem bars to unlock nodes.
    ...Community scaling.
    ...All the essential nodes required the 3*.

Max level was 141, excuse you.
  • Kelbris
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    When you could buy covers for HP. *sigh*

Only if you had the first one.

Hence Colog placing Top 20 and then immediately whaling the newest character maxed out so we could discuss its usefulness.

Good times. Somebody buy him a car.
  • Kelbris
    Options
    I remember when 3* Rags was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 2* Wolverine was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 1* Storm was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 2* Black Widow was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 3* Spider-Man was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 3* Magneto was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 3* Sentry was the best character in the game.
    Then I remember quitting.

I dunno when they got tired of nerfing characters, but when I came back to the game, they had stopped. Not a single devastating nerf to a major PvP player since I came back in December. I will admit that this has given me much less cause to ever want to ragequit, but it's also true that I still look at all those characters in dismay and wish I could have them back. The game as it exists now feels so bland compared to the raw, frothing rage people had whenever d3 designed something fun and completely unfair, and then inevitably imploded the character into utter unusability shortly afterwards.

You forgot when XFW was the best character in the game.

He wasn't, though.

Patch/Mags wrecked X-Force. Can't use X-Force with Patch, and this game was never about individual characters.

IIRC all you needed to do with X-Force was prevent 11 black.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Willis wrote:
    Chronicler wrote:
    I think the term you were looking for for XFW is X-Farce. I believe that was from his original, pre-buff specs.

Either way XFW was hot garbage before his rework. He had his old green making strike tiles that didn't even scale.

Wow. I totally forgot about that lol. Didn't it make like 10-15 strength like 15 strike tiles or some ****?? At max level!

9 15 strength tiles in an X shaped pattern at level 230, was hilarious.

another couple i remembered: level 405 Thoress/X-Force combo, it was 1 PVP that did it, it was gloriously ridiculous.
    almost quitting cause it was only 2 characters in the meta for months, Sentry/Hood, you are not missed.
    Best of the best PVP, pick one iteration of Wolvie(Xforce, Patch, 2*) and wreck everyone.
  • HxiiiK
    HxiiiK Posts: 195 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I miss the 1st anniversary, where everyone was happy and won a good amount of 4thor covers
    I miss patchneto, where I had a magneto without red, but still kicked so much **** with the combo in pvp
    I don't particularly miss Sentry/Hood, because at the time I didn't have a usable sentry, by the time I built him up, they smashed him in the face with the nerf bat
    I miss when the game was fun, and we got lots of news and hype about new stuff coming out, not the 'you are supposed to lose' ****
    It's been a long 3 years, and I find myself coming back just because I've been here too long, and hoping one day it will all turn good again, but it just keeps going downhill. It's a fun game and concept ruined by greed and incompetent people
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    IceIX
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I remember when the Critical tile was a big M instead of a shiny jewel
  • Quest34
    Quest34 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I remember getting the the teams up based on the level of the team you beat in pve. The teamups you got from sim and the gauntlet that were 150 levels above anyone on your roster were the best. I bet there is someone out there that still has a couple of them.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I still remember the max level cap were different. Like star.pngstar.png was 82 or something, star.pngstar.pngstar.png was 140 something, star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png I can't quite recall but I think it was 170.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png had a redflag.png, later it was changed to blackflag.png (as it was fitting for his X-Force outfit) & upgraded to Surgical Strike which can steal enemies AP. His greenflag.png was rather powerful during that time however a few months later he was nerfed to what we have now.

I also remember star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_magneto.png had a purpleflag.png before they changed it to blueflag.png & original blueflag.png with yellowflag.png.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_ragnarok.png had 2 pretty much infinite moves, redflag.png & greenflag.png I always dread facing him, as normally I take him out first.

Fortunately I get to use these characters during that state before they got nerfed. It was fun while it lasted.

Also that all characters start at base level of 1. I recall I levelled icon_mrfantastic.png up to it's soft cap & then they changed it to 70 for star.pngstar.pngstar.png, so currently I have him on lvl74 still.
  • simoncklee
    Options
    1. The timers for everything were not driven centrally - so I could change the time on my phone to fully heal my team. Of course, they'd be dead again when I turned the clock back.

2. The redesign of how to activate your powers. I remember hating the new approach, but as with most things, I got used to it.

3. The updated gui - to this day I still think a rainbow vomited all over the screen.
  • HxiiiK
    HxiiiK Posts: 195 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Did anyone mention community scaling? Oh good times, those were brutal. Can't quite remember how they worked though, think it was something like as it got closer to the end, rubber-banding and community scaling could rocket you to 1st place or beat you down HARD
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quest34 wrote:
    I remember getting the the teams up based on the level of the team you beat in pve. The teamups you got from sim and the gauntlet that were 150 levels above anyone on your roster were the best. I bet there is someone out there that still has a couple of them.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I actually have several that I keep as trophies. I have lv 297 Moonstone. Lv 320(ish) Hulk. Lv 300 Venom. A green Dino from when tu's were first introduced. And a lv 296 C. Magneto.

One thing that really bugged me was taking out three lv 300+ Dark Avengers just to get a lv 40 Venom tu. But since you now get tu's from your alliance at max level, it's not so bad.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I remember Loki's Transmogrify ability.
  • Kelbris
    Options
    Marty17 wrote:
    I still remember the max level cap were different. Like star.pngstar.png was 82 or something, star.pngstar.pngstar.png was 140 something, star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png I can't quite recall but I think it was 170.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png had a redflag.png, later it was changed to blackflag.png (as it was fitting for his X-Force outfit) & upgraded to Surgical Strike which can steal enemies AP. His greenflag.png was rather powerful during that time however a few months later he was nerfed to what we have now.

I also remember star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_magneto.png had a purpleflag.png before they changed it to blueflag.png & original blueflag.png with yellowflag.png.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_ragnarok.png had 2 pretty much infinite moves, redflag.png & greenflag.png I always dread facing him, as normally I take him out first.

Fortunately I get to use these characters during that state before they got nerfed. It was fun while it lasted.

Also that all characters start at base level of 1. I recall I levelled icon_mrfantastic.png up to it's soft cap & then they changed it to 70 for star.pngstar.pngstar.png, so currently I have him on lvl74 still.

Level caps were:

Also, why do people do this? It makes the post look like a cartoon ransom note.
  • BassMuffinFIve
    BassMuffinFIve Posts: 231
    edited October 2016
    Options
    bbigler wrote:
    - Spiderman's Stun attack used to cost 2 Blue AP
    don't forget to mention Spiderman 3* was the best character in the game[/quote]

...not named Magneto

edit: misquoted bbigler when I should have quoted MJH
  • BassMuffinFIve
    Options
    Kelbris wrote:

I dunno when they got tired of nerfing characters, but when I came back to the game, they had stopped. Not a single devastating nerf to a major PvP player since I came back in December. I will admit that this has given me much less cause to ever want to ragequit, but it's also true that I still look at all those characters in dismay and wish I could have them back. The game as it exists now feels so bland compared to the raw, frothing rage people had whenever d3 designed something fun and completely unfair, and then inevitably imploded the character into utter unusability shortly afterwards.

He wasn't, though.

Patch/Mags wrecked X-Force. Can't use X-Force with Patch, and this game was never about individual characters.

This game always has and always will be about individual characters. OML *cough*

Mags wrecked anything. That's why they nerfed him.

And then fast foward a few months to the XFW buffs, and then he was the most the most powerful character in the game. Have fun denying 11 black while you take 5k+ dmg + board shuffle for 8 green as well.

And then they nerfed him as well...
  • Kelbris
    Options
    Kelbris wrote:

He wasn't, though.

This game always has and always will be about individual characters.

Before everyone's max HP was raised, this game was about being able to win as many matches as possible in a span of only minutes. If you were good, you could easily win in 30 seconds. The devs changed the meta to longer matches. (There was backlash.)

All you needed were strike tiles (Patch, Daken, both) and infinite combos (Rags, Spiderman, Magneto, Sentry). The AI was freaking terrible and denying color was really easy since they prioritized any match 4 to getting enough AP for a move. AI has 9 black? Make a cascade that puts a match 4 in a wasted color.

If you had to actually play AGAINST someone, XForce would have been trouble. I used him after Mags was nerfed. He wasn't faster than Patch.

Safer, but not faster. Winning 7 matches and losing 2 in 5 minutes was always better than winning 3 matches and losing 0 in 5 matches.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When I started there were only 4 5* characters.
    Championing was only a 1-2 months old.
    Cho was one of the latest releases and terrible.

I haven't been playing that long lol.