Would anyone like to reminisce?

Options

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I remember a time when you could earn rewards and not depend on RNG to progress.....
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I remember when 1* Storm on a desert board was her own winfinite.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can remember buying my 13th OBW cover with HP, so I could be competitive in PvP and get to 600 without getting pummeled.
    Now I wish I could get my 13th OML cover so I could get to 600 without getting pummeled.

Progress!!
  • BassMuffinFIve
    Options
    I remember when 3* Rags was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 2* Wolverine was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 1* Storm was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 2* Black Widow was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 3* Spider-Man was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 3* Magneto was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 3* Sentry was the best character in the game.
    Then I remember quitting.

I dunno when they got tired of nerfing characters, but when I came back to the game, they had stopped. Not a single devastating nerf to a major PvP player since I came back in December. I will admit that this has given me much less cause to ever want to ragequit, but it's also true that I still look at all those characters in dismay and wish I could have them back. The game as it exists now feels so bland compared to the raw, frothing rage people had whenever d3 designed something fun and completely unfair, and then inevitably imploded the character into utter unusability shortly afterwards.

You forgot when XFW was the best character in the game.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bbigler wrote:
    - Wolverine Patch had a bug where his green attack would make all strike tiles friendly

My favourite memory of my entire three years playing. Well, that coupled with when they gave out Patch covers as top rewards in the subs of TaT.

The first buy-in tournament was amazing to witness, especially walkyourpath's epic write-up of how he took first place.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I remember when 3* Rags was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 2* Wolverine was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 1* Storm was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 2* Black Widow was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 3* Spider-Man was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 3* Magneto was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 3* Sentry was the best character in the game.
    Then I remember quitting.

I dunno when they got tired of nerfing characters, but when I came back to the game, they had stopped. Not a single devastating nerf to a major PvP player since I came back in December. I will admit that this has given me much less cause to ever want to ragequit, but it's also true that I still look at all those characters in dismay and wish I could have them back. The game as it exists now feels so bland compared to the raw, frothing rage people had whenever d3 designed something fun and completely unfair, and then inevitably imploded the character into utter unusability shortly afterwards.

You forgot when XFW was the best character in the game.

No, actually, that didn't happen until after I quit.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JackTenrec wrote:
    I remember when 1* Storm on a desert board was her own winfinite.

Yeah, the desert board with 1* Storm was amazing, sometimes I could get the infinite combo on the first turn.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ** I miss getting an iso bonus every time you beat a node for the first time. Would go nicely with XP we get for beating them 6 times.
    ** I miss buying covers with hp.
    ** I miss 4* Thor blue putting out twice as many charge tiles.
    ** I miss 1* Venom's Devour being able to one hit kill any enemy, no matter what level or remaining health, with 6 Web tiles on the board.
    ** I remember when seasons first strated and a Nick Fury cover was the t100 reward. Of course that meant you had to wait 3 months before you could get at least 1 of each cover.
    ** I remember Patchneto being a very deadly team.
    ** I, (like a lot of others), miss environment tiles. Desert making green iirc.
    ** I miss being able to use 3 of each boost instead of only 2.
    ** I miss the special boosts. ie. Xmen do extra damage, extra damage against Dark Avengers.

Ahhh, the good old days. This game sure has changed a lot over the past couple years.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I remember when you could tank lightning rounds and then kill it in PvP because your MMR was so low
    I remember when LR's gave you 3* covers as rewards
    I remember Prologue Healing (though not very fondly)
    I remember maxing my first 3* (Rags)
    I remember when Ares/OBW was the killer LR team
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Unlimited shields

3 attempts to beat your opponent in pvp
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Remember when you used to need to have an extra roster slot open to add covers to your existing character? That made absolutely zero sense.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When you could buy covers for HP. *sigh*
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rixmith wrote:
    I remember when you could tank lightning rounds and then kill it in PvP because your MMR was so low

That was so **** beautiful.
  • Danman2008
    Options
    I remember a time where it took 50 covers to level a power completely...
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i remember:
    - 1* storm on desert with OBW would make the ultimate winfinite
    - 2 ap powers for Cmags and Spidey
    - Environment tiles especially on jungle where 50 would hurt your team for 100 health but give you 5 ap in all colors
    - when loki's purple was the most stupidly overpowered ability in the game
    - the ONE time i actually got forest fire in jungle which turned all environment tiles to red and it cost 200
    - the uselessness that was hot dog stand which healed your team for 50 for 15 environment ap
    - the overpoweredness of XFW/Thoress combo(her blue used to stun for 4 turns and made TWELVE charge tiles and could one shot literally anyone
    - the Hood/Sentry team dominating the meta for months, 3 ap boosts all, make one yellow, make one green, make one black match, game over in 2 turns
    - the first 3* i maxed at 141 vastly improved my scores, cap, pun and thor were my first 3 141s
    - going against all the people who maxed daken in the first PVP and how stupidly powerful he was at 212 making 102 strike tiles
    - having XFW's black be the ultimate game ender simply cause almost no team could survive 10 ap being drained from their strongest color
    - seeing people get absolutely hyped for the first true 4* nick fury, even today his blue's pretty freaking crazy
    - and my last one has nothing to do with this version of the game, unlocked Iron Patriot for the first time on the console version and realizing how stupidly powerful his black is, it's basically a more powerful Fury yellow.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I remember when PvP didn't have time slices and there were real battles for 1st place. And true alliance battles. Line Battlechats were true Battlechats not the current co-op mode. Now everyone knows mostly their place in each slice. Gone are the days in alliance Battlechats of messages with 1 min (cause sentry bomb) left "he broke go go go hit him!". Now it's "breaking at end don't hit me" icon_e_smile.gif

I also remember pve rubberbanding. You could join a pve event well after everyone started and nodes were worth huge amounts of points and fly past the guy in first. Rubberbanding was so hilarious! icon_lol.gif
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I remember I had no kids and could always finish my hop fights icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I remember people rostering doubles of characters so they could have a build for every need.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When Call The Storm or Rage of the Panther would completely decimate your team... thor and panther were truly terrifying!

KK was also extremely tough because she would heal the team basically back to full health. OBW as well.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    SPARKLY VICTORY BANNER