Would anyone like to reminisce?

Options
bbigler
bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I've been playing this game for so long that I remember a time when:

- the only 4* characters were Wolverine X Force and Invisible Woman
- Invisible Woman's green attack would gain AP!
- 2* Wolverine ruled PvP and had a 3 Green AP attack
- 3* Magneto once had a 2 Red AP attack!
- many characters only had 2 abilities instead of 3
- team up tiles were environment tiles with certain attacks for that arena
- Ares was introduced for the first time and kicked butt in his event
- Wolverine Patch had a bug where his green attack would make all strike tiles friendly
- 3 hr shields once cost 50 HP and had no cool down time
- the 5 color stockpile only cost 100 ISO
- nobody thought 2* Widow was good (even though I used her all the time to steal AP)
- you could place Blue tiles with 2* Magneto's purple attack
- Spiderman's Stun attack used to cost 2 Blue AP
- 3* Punisher used to be a scary sight in PvP
- the only way to get 4* covers was through Heroic and Standard tokens
- Alliances did not exist
- 1* Storm was used in PvP with 2* Widow and Thor

Comments

• Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I remember a time when all you needed to do to get a win was to place some sacrificial lamb next to ** Thor and ** Storm and she would wipe the entire enemy team with her yellow.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You forgot OBW's true healing. And man, do I miss no cool down times on shields. Haven't really played much pvp since.
  • bbigler
    Options
    You forgot OBW's true healing. And man, do I miss no cool down times on shields. Haven't really played much pvp since.

Yeah, I used to replay Prologue events just to heal my team with **Widow, but I think the developers caught on to my "cheating" and added the dumb Health bursts
  • bbigler
    Options
    Omega Red wrote:
    I remember a time when all you needed to do to get a win was to place some sacrificial lamb next to ** Thor and ** Storm and she would wipe the entire enemy team with her yellow.

Yeah, even today if I play against her I still kill her first. Bad memories of that passive yellow attack.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    Options

Shield cooldowns remain an abomination. They are a perfect example a patch solution to a symptom (and not the underlying disease) that just forces players to suffer a potentially significant inconvenience because the devs dont want to solve a problem and risk revenue (not to mention the fact that they force people to use 8 hours shields more often and thus make pvp more HP intensive). Stull disappointed that thebplayer community just accepted them.

As for nostalgia:

I remember:
    -the last days of a pure 3* meta (right before xfw's buff)
    -both times we had 20-person LR brackets
    -When 6800 health was decent for a 3* and patch/daken was a fun infinite grinding team.
    -the last days ofgood 2ap powers (cmags, spidey)
    -the truel healing rage thread that hit ~100 pages.

I never saw, but heard legends of
    -broken 1* and 2* characters (storm, thor, wolvie)
    -obw/pun pvp superteams
    -environmental tiles
    -buy-in tournaments
    -guaranteed 3* covers in 10packs
    - infinite rags
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    Options
    bbigler wrote:
    I've been playing this game for so long that I remember a time when:

- Ares was introduced for the first time and kicked butt in his event

I believe Ares is the only 2* to have his own dedicated event. There was also a Black Widow PVP where you could only use 1/2/3* Black Widow. I think there was one with Wolverine too.

Anyone remember how horrible Daredevil and Beast were before their rebalances? All of Daredevils attacks were Trap tiles (oh joy!) and Beast's blue use to just match itself (SW took this power and made great use of it). Ah and remember 2* Hawkeye's old purple use to make him move from the front to the back? That's right if you targeted him, he would leap away so your actual good character would die icon_lol.gif . Surprised they never brought back that power for new character but it use to make me angry.

Alliance's use to only consist of 5 players and if you wanted the max of 20 you had to pay HP.. that was pure pay to win but surprisingly when all alliances were increased to 20 players, the Commanders were refunded HP.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    my early memories are marred by 2.5 hr refreshes in florida. I don't go back as far as many though.
  • BassMuffinFIve
    Options
    I miss the feeling of awe and excitement when getting a new character! Now it has become a 1000 HP burden that won't change your gameplay until 1 year from now. Or ever.

Also miss environmental tiles. They added another level of gameplay, by making each map you play on have its own feel. Can you imagine different characters being stronger on different maps? Sadly, this aspect was taken away and replaced by something infinitely more boring, and less interactive.

I miss thinking that nerfing XFW TO THE GROUND was justified, because surely they woudln't ever release another 4* character with his power level, right?

I miss thinking D3/Demiurge knew what they were doing with their game...
  • Gargamel86
    Gargamel86 Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Punisher 3*, Spidey 3* and Magneto 2* was my dream team at the time.
    Magneto's purple added 5 blue tiles, coupled with the stockpile boost (I think it cost 200 iso, but I am not sure, it could have been 100 iso) and blue/purple boost up it was easy blue AP for short time.
    Spidey's 2 AP stun stunned up to 5 turns, and then you release the Punisher to finish the job.
    Plus, you had the other perks, like critical tiles (from the Magneto's blue), protect, attack and strike tiles to ease the fights even further.
    And don't forget Spidey's team true heal as well.
    Also, shoutout to OBW and 2* Wolverine, they helped a lot as well.
    There were days when I could play for hours without losing healthpacks.
    That old gameplay really helped me to ease up the progressing in 3* land, so I was more or less ready and set once the big changes happened.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I miss thinking D3/Demiurge knew what they were doing with their game...
    times infinity
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I remember when Amadeus Cho was the worst 4* character. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I remember when 3* Rags was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 2* Wolverine was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 1* Storm was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 2* Black Widow was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 3* Spider-Man was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 3* Magneto was the best character in the game.
    I remember when 3* Sentry was the best character in the game.
    Then I remember quitting.

I dunno when they got tired of nerfing characters, but when I came back to the game, they had stopped. Not a single devastating nerf to a major PvP player since I came back in December. I will admit that this has given me much less cause to ever want to ragequit, but it's also true that I still look at all those characters in dismay and wish I could have them back. The game as it exists now feels so bland compared to the raw, frothing rage people had whenever d3 designed something fun and completely unfair, and then inevitably imploded the character into utter unusability shortly afterwards.
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I remember No Holds Barred. An event to earn 3* faster for your roster, because they were new.
    I remember a brief time when they jumped the amount of health packs to 15.
    I remember hero points being so precious people would have stolen them if they existed in reality.
    I remember 3* cap coming out getting three covers, one of each and thinking; Man he is going to be easy to cover. Still not true.
    I remember, I may be wrong here, Kingpin being the first? 4* introduced?
    I remember first anniversary being so token saturated that I horded without trying.
    I remember that first anniversary made my roster leap by a thousand fold.
    I remember when bug patch numbers were single, and double digits.
    I remember the walls were way higher for advancement...not that long ago.
    I remember, literally chatting with Reds on forum.
    I could keep going, but. I will say this. I quit after two years plus of grinding. Started over completely. And am actually finding it easier now than that first start back in 2013.
    Oh yeah. I remember this game so buggy you brought raid to play.
    Oh yeah. I remember when Devil Dino was still in his embryonic stasis chamber.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What I wouldn't give to have the original 3* Mags with OML and Phoenix just to see the amount of damage and chaos that would cause! icon_lol.gif
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I remember when leveling a character once would fully heal them.
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    xidragonxi wrote:
    I remember when leveling a character once would fully heal them.

Yes! This one needs to return! icon_mad.gif
  • CyberVenom2001
    CyberVenom2001 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I miss the environment tiles too! I use to look forward to any Hotdog stand fights and Jungle fights!
  • Stony
    Stony Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I remember special pvp events that you had to spend HP to buy-in to play. Pretty decent rewards too. I think top spot got one cover for every character in the game. The Ladder won I believe?

Edit. I'll second those saying environmental tiles. One of the true puzzle elements of MPQ.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I remember when there was only ONE PERSON in the entire game who had xfw, the only 4*, fully covered and maxed with ISO, and everyone on the forums knew who he was.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ebglvjvfyplx.jpg