Boss Rush Round completion [Poll]

Comments

• Deimos12
    Deimos12 Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    Finished 7. Need 5 more clears out of 15 remaining to make it. Seems to be a toss up whether I clear it or not, 2/4 right now.
    But I should make this clear. I AM NOT ENJOYING IT AT ALL!. I'm cheesing through with a team of 3* Hulk, Storm and KK. Clearing the boss pin takes 30-40 minutes. Unless of course Phoenix cascades me then I'm out it 2 minutes.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Got into round 6 and stopped. Could conceivably beat it, but I wouldn't enjoy my time doing so and refuse to waste a weekend hitting my head against a brick wall for a single cover in a match-3 game.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    I don't understand how Hulk, KK, MoStorm is suppose to work.
    How are you supposed to get enough green to even start it off, let alone keep it going? My MoStorm tanks green due to champ levels and her being boosted, so Hulk is never in front for Anger.

I'm in Round 8, I tried it, and I got maybe one cycle off before I ran out of Purple and had to let her take a turn. I then died.
    The old stand-by of Charlie's Angles doesn't work either, because GSWB dies simply from match damage (and that **** proc of "if there are more than XX Red on the board deal damage") before Scarlet Witch's Coutdown tile goes off.

As others have said, what's the point of an event where the AI gets ONE TURN and you die?
    At least Galactus ver 1 you got 3 turns...
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    rixmith wrote:
    I just finished Round 7 and don't really have a chance at 8, but I feel like that's the right level I should have achieved with my roster (solid 4* roster + 10 cover OML @ 375, 8 cover PHX @ 360). I'm very happy with getting 2 Peggy covers. I think the Progression rewards should have been much lower (getting through Round 7 sure felt like it merited the 25 CP). I think if the scaling had been around 15% lower it would have been much more fun. It felt too much like "If I get lucky I can win" instead of "I have a good chance of winning unless I get unlucky". Also with so few good buffed characters I felt like I couldn't have multiple teams, instead I had to use health packs because only one team really had any chance.

So I don't think it was as bad for me as for many other people, and i like the general concept, but it could use a bit of tweaking.

I disagree with your assessment of what is the appropriate achievement for a mainly 4* roster for 3 reasons:

(1) In prior boss events, 4* players have been able to finish the individual progression rewards with enough grinding effort if they had some boosted 4*s.

(2) In regular pvp, everyone with the essential characters is able to achieve the max progression rewar

I don't see any reason to change these two established paradigms. Pve prog rewards are for everyone, and boss events have always offered better than normal rewards (e.g. 3x covers for the same 4* character).

(3) If there was to be an elite tier reward that was too hard for even deep 4* benches to reach, then it should be a 5* prize. The best achievable rewards for any given roster should always be rewards offer real roster progression.

As for the main topic:

I have 100k left in Round 7. I can certainly finish it if I just grind the sub nodes at this point, even after some wretched cascade luck in the last cycle. Round 8 is almost certainly out of reach. And as much as I would love that Peggy yellow, I don't actually think grinding Round 8 on Sunday when the sub nodes are in excess of level 300 is worth my time. I deserve better Demi (and so do all the other players!).

IMO the best rewards in boss events should stay where they have always been: gated behind alliance performance. 1x top scoring player could get their individual progs, but it took 15-20 such players working together to get the best rewards.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been able to defeat round 7 once with a Winfinite team, but every other round, Banner's green spam kills me on his very first turn, so why even bother?
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Finished r5. Part way through 6, but I'm just not even trying anymore. This event is just not fun for me. And as much as I want the Peggy covers, I'm not going to waste my time on something that's not fun. That is kinda the whole point of playing games for me. To have fun. If I'm not enjoying it, why bother? So I won't be finishing r6. I have the Gwennpool event and sim to keep me occupied until Unstable iso 8 starts.
  • Demolira
    Demolira Posts: 78 Match Maker
    I'm on round 8, but even with a full day to go, I won't complete it. Half of my attempts on the boss are ending on turn 2, since any match 5 is pretty much doom for my team. My best so far was getting Phoenix down to half life with Hulk/CStorm/Kamala.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    3x champed 5*. Round 8 is level 547. I enter the match with champ oml/phx/dpx, boss phx makes 2 match5s as her first move, entire team downed. Is that an mpq record? icon_e_smile.gif
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for posting this, I would have after event closed in on ending.

Devs - can we get data on this?

I swore that I was going to quit after trying rounds 5, 6, and 7. I did quit after reaching round 8.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    I currently have about 300k left on round 8. With enough luck I should be able to finish, but I voted rd 7 for now. Phoenix is easily the worst of the new bosses. One thing I have noticed is that the description of her passive is slightly off. If the board has less than 9 red before she generates her red tiles, she will not absorb red tiles. If you get a red heavy board to start you are screwed.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Completed R7, got stomped by Phoenix in R8 and couldnt see a way through. I'm gonna enjoy the weekend with my cats.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't understand how Hulk, KK, MoStorm is suppose to work.
    How are you supposed to get enough green to even start it off, let alone keep it going? My MoStorm tanks green due to champ levels and her being boosted, so Hulk is never in front for Anger.

Any color Hulk tanks is sufficient to trigger anger. If Storm is a higher level, Hulk should still at minimum have red to match.
  • MLDB
    MLDB Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Screenshot_20161015-234449_zpsmobv8hfo.png

I can't believe it, but I did it.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just finished round 7, and came here to read up on the rd 8 bosses. I don't have the patience to sit through hulk/mo/kk matches, so I've been using OML in place of kk. It was a strategy that worked well against Banner, since you want to deny him green anyway. Denying red to Phoenix will make it tougher to keep Hulk angry.

Honestly, Phoenix is the worst of the bosses. Yes Banner will wreck you if he gets going, but it's not as automatic. Letting Phoenix passively collect red effectively lets her down two of your team just for having 9 red on the board. Then she gets to dump 5 red on the board every time? You really didn't learn anything from Galactus 1.0, did you?
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    I completed 7 and I'm genuinely surprised I was able to pull that off. Getting through round 7 involved roughly a day and a half of 100% dedicated health packs of throwing my 5*s at the boss and dying in the first wave 70% of the time.

I won't be trying for round 8 completion because the boss is even more hopeless (I had a great starting board with 2x match 5's and still wipe to Phx) and other events will demand my attention on a Sunday.

This is first Boss event I'll fail to complete and the first one where I'll fail to reach final progression.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Stopping at Round 4. Just tired of this event and the structure. This is another bad ending to Anniversary Week for me. Oh well, here's to next year...
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    I cleared round 6 and got Peggy red which my 5/3/4 can't use. It's round 7 or bust for me, I need the blue to champ her
    Finally cleared R7 which was extremely unkind to me. Insane cascades for Banner every pass with many ending by turn 4, it was bad
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    Deimos12 wrote:
    Finished 7. Need 5 more clears out of 15 remaining to make it. Seems to be a toss up whether I clear it or not, 2/4 right now.
    But I should make this clear. I AM NOT ENJOYING IT AT ALL!. I'm cheesing through with a team of 3* Hulk, Storm and KK. Clearing the boss pin takes 30-40 minutes. Unless of course Phoenix cascades me then I'm out it 2 minutes.

I have 225k left in round eight. With nodes being 5k each now, the 3 refresh left should get me another 75k. That leaves 150k left, which is 2 boss hits. I've only beaten it a couple of times but came close to getting pass Phoenix a few more times. This got me thinking, perhaps a better strategy is to aim to damage/beat Phoenix only and settle for the 30k instead of aiming for the full 90k? With that strategy, I need to beat Phoenix 5 more times out of the 15. the only team I can think of involves deadpool and perhaps switch to accelerate purple for whales. Otherwise it will take 5 whale team ups.

Edit: Made it and it's all thanks to the increasing values of the side nodes. Out of 15 attempts, I only cleared it once, got pass phoenix a couple of times, and instantly wiped the rest.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    I finally completed round 7 one hour ago. Even though my now 5/2/5 (level 250) Peggy would desperately need the yellow cover, I decided to quit the event at that point. The fights I`ve won were long (20 minutes or more), nerve-racking and pretty unfunny. Despite this I`m running, slowly but surely, out of health packs and boosts.
  • Argon Flame
    Argon Flame Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Just completed Round 8 with ~19h remaining

Some things i noted through the grind of Round 8:
    - Managed to clear all 3 bosses only twice.
    - Phoenix was terrible to fight against.
    - Why was her 'strongest colour' not RED all the time, noticed that it fluctuated around different colours (wins often came when Kingpin could destroy her RED)
    - Typical Team was Kingpin+TAHulk (definitely playable following re-skill) + (Deadpool XF or Hulkbuster [Loki in earlier round did well when he avoided Team AoE])
    - Some boards were next to impossible, first turn getting match-fived out before you get a chance.

EDIT:
    Just thought that I'd add while I did complete it, I feel that I could not play most levels with any characters other than Kingpin+TA Hulk, they were the only ones with enough life and damage to survive through the latter rounds. For any Devs, I would be curious to know what testing teams that were able to beat the event with.

MVP: Wife and kids for putting up with me getting grumpy after multiple boss fights getting turn 1/2 KO'd.