Lord of Thunder - Thor strikes back - 26-28.03

Comments

• Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    WolfmanX25 wrote:
    Leader in my bracket is Jachdo, so I also suffer from "no shot at first" syndrome.

Would be nice to know in advance when exactly the crazies enter an event. icon_lol.gif

There is a trick that I always use.

1. Log into a set of forums that said 'crazies' are known to frequent.
    2. Scroll down to the very bottom of the forum, to the WHO IS ONLINE bit.
    3. If there are no usual suspects listed, attack.
  • Yeah but then it all depends on who All you consider the crazy ones.
    Some of the psychotic ones like me are almost always "on" :p
  • That's some good advice. Jachdo has blown past the 1000 point barrier btw, so I think the term 'crazy' was appropriate; 24 hours before the end. I think that's insane, even by S.H.I.E.L.D standards.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    For what it is worth, I will shoot for 2nd in this tourney unless of course our overall alliance rank is close to losing first in which case all bets are off.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    @Bygix:

Maybe if you didn't waste all the fine ISO on suboptimal **s you'd have 1-2 well-shaped 100+ characters by now. Without changing the prize structure.

I watch the leaderboards a lot, a regular top15 has like 10+ rosters with 1-2-3 **s at 85 and the rest under 40.

I have 5 frequently used 2* characters, 3 of which are level capped. Definitely not the problem.

I too watch the leaderboards, because I almost always finish top 10 in tournaments where I need 3* covers. Am I making progress? Yes. Psylocke can be leveled to 77, currently sitting on 60. Hood can be leveled to 53, but I havent gotten around to putting ISO into him yet. Doom is on 53, Iron Man Model 40 and Ragnarok are both on 43. Black Panther I need more covers for, hes sitting at 30, same with GSBW whos at 20 with 1 cover for each power.

Im not new to this game, I know the good characters and I know how to rank in the tournaments. As I said before, I have 5 2* characters level capped. The point that I was trying to make, is that the more difficult they make it for us to obtain covers in general, the more people are going to be sitting around twiddling their thumbs. It already takes a lot of ISO to level cap even a 2* character, and now not even having the covers for them to reach that point while giving us slighty more ISO for ranking high in tournies is just going to either A. force people to spend HP on upgrading powers, something that while a cool concept is ridiculously overpriced or B. make people stop playing, Because its taking them forever to transition from 1* to 2* and they get tired of waiting around for 2* covers.

One of the big hooks that got me to continue playing this game was how good it felt when I nabbed 3 Classic Storm covers, or 3 Moonstone or Wolverine covers. They were some of my first tournaments and I thought "Oh cool, I can actually do pretty good at the competitive part of the game too!" and it felt good to upgrade powers and see that I at least had the potential to get my guys to 70, 77, or 85. And I can say from personal experience that getting these 3* covers has been quite tedious. I can only imagine what itll be like for the people going from 1-2* if its anything similar
  • I can understand that feeling as I tanked in a tourney once so I could get 3 wolvies rather then IM 40
  • As someone, just building his 2*'s, there is no way my A. Wolverine would be maxed if they started doing the one cover deal when I had gotten him. I was actually on my way to really strengthening C. Storm when they switched over to this new way of doing things. It has definitely slowed me down and if I didn't at least have a decent Wolverine (followed relatively quickly by Thor) I would probably have stopped playing or cut down my play time significantly. I find stronger powers to be helpful because even a Lv. 1 MBW can team stun/5 turn stun and sometimes that's all you really need to turn the tide in a match.
  • Twysta wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    WolfmanX25 wrote:
    Leader in my bracket is Jachdo, so I also suffer from "no shot at first" syndrome.

Would be nice to know in advance when exactly the crazies enter an event. icon_lol.gif

Alliances have ruined that too. Every possible entry time will have someone because alliances try and coordinate not to step on each other's toes.

Tell that to walk and Nemek icon_e_wink.gif

I'm beginning to suspect that Nemek just thinks I've been lying about my points and wants to make sure I'm not slacking. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    I was initially planning on a top 50 in this event. I've since changed my mind a few times, as of last night I was only planning on getting to 300 for the token. I got absolutely demolished by someone last night...I looked away from my screen for maybe a second, looked back and Thor was downed, Punisher was downed, and Spidey had a few hundred health. Should have been paying attention for the call of the storm...

I called it a day after that, beat a seed team and threw a tank team in.
  • So baffled by this game. Last night I was being offered level 140+ against my team of 23 Thor, 50 IM35 and 40 Storm. Today I am mostly getting level 50-60 with the odd really low levels (I assume tanking teams).

I have only dropped a few places on the ladder, so have no idea why the dramatic change in teams being offered.

It's obviously more fun for me now, as I can win a few games, but have no idea why it has changed and why it was being so silly yesterday.
  • First tournament after the lightning rounds. Many higher leveled teams will have reduced their MMR ranking so the start of the tourney is easier and they get lower teams. By now their MMR is back up closer to where it should be so you are back to getting some more appropriate teams.
  • Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks!
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    The lightning rounds definitely helped my MMR, it seems to the point where most of the teams I attacked on the way up to 600+ points skipped me, even with a low-level Thor. It was mostly maxed 2 star characters, and I guess my high-level Hood and Punisher was enough for a skip. I've only gotten 2 notifications since I threw up a shield - one was a loss, one a defensive win.
  • I was attacked by TheLadder with his maxed out Lazy Thor, CMag, and Spiderman. With my 2* team + 41 Lazy Thor, I decided to go ahead and skip, yeesh!
  • I. Hate. Thor.
  • Twysta wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    WolfmanX25 wrote:

Alliances have ruined that too. Every possible entry time will have someone because alliances try and coordinate not to step on each other's toes.

Tell that to walk and Nemek icon_e_wink.gif

I'm beginning to suspect that Nemek just thinks I've been lying about my points and wants to make sure I'm not slacking. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Just saw you walkyourpath. He's at a solid 915 points last I saw. Dslyexic, reporting in at 4:26pm.
  • WolfmanX25 wrote:
    That's some good advice. Jachdo has blown past the 1000 point barrier btw, so I think the term 'crazy' was appropriate; 24 hours before the end. I think that's insane, even by S.H.I.E.L.D standards.

I got to 1012... I'm not crazy. I promise. Trust me icon_twisted.gif
  • lol, it's almost as if I didn't have to play...

Dv423Uo.jpg
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    I was going to be satisfied with a token and maybe an Ares cover if I was lucky but somehow I've managed to crack the top 10 in my bracket with one pass through my health packs...

The bracket leader was only on 380 odd point with seven hours to go icon_eek.gif
  • Microtom wrote:
    lol, it's almost as if I didn't have to play...

Dv423Uo.jpg

I have t had that good of defensive success before.