Lord of Thunder - Thor strikes back - 26-28.03

Comments

• I got over 500, then got a defensive win off a retaliation (I think), and I"m in #1 at 525, which is weird given I don't need any of the covers in the tournament. I'm just going to see where entropy takes me at this point; I'll probably end up retreating myself down to 201st+ place or so but I may just abandon it entirely and see where I land.
  • Ok thanks Dayraven. Hopefully I can get to 300 without throwing my phone out the window!
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Emeryt wrote:
    kidicarus wrote:
    Noooooooooo....... was hoping for easy bracket but I've managed to somehow join at the same time as TheLadder again...
    Same here icon_e_smile.gif
    I expect some good old school competition.

Actually, truth be told my only real motivation to do well on this tourney is to help the guild members in my alliance score a patch cover. Green x-force would be nice but not really essential at this point in time. So my strategy is to score as high as possible and put up an 8 hour shield - none of that shield unshield reshield bollocks...
  • Narkon wrote:
    Bygix wrote:
    Once again though, why has D3 decided to take away the multiple covers for the 2* rewards?
    I think they want to slow down the progression of players making the transition to 2* (because we don't see more 2* heroes coming out lately) and force them to use HP to level some abilities. From the dev's side this makes sense, although it is bad for players. In the future we may see this happening to the 3* as well which would mean 1 cover in solo and 1 cover in alliance rewards. If not, they may decide to reduce the 3* to top 30 and the 2* covers to top 100.

Thats absolutely ridiculous. Its already hard enough to get 3* covers considering how rare they are, and the fact that theres more 3* characters then any other character group. I suggested awhile back that they actually increase the amount of rankings to get 3* covers, making 3 covers the top 2-10, 2 covers the top 11-25, and then 1 cover for 26-50.

As things are now, I have had my Classic Storm, Moonstone, Thor, Wolverine, and Captain America maxed out on covers for some time now. Im missing 1 cover for Daken and FOUR purple covers for MN Magneto (Keep getting his Red and Blue which I dont want/need for his build). But I dont mind when I pull duplicate covers that I dont need. Know why? Because Im more focused on getting them all level maxed. So far Storm, Moonstone, and Thor just hit 85 a week or two ago and Ive been playing since December. Cap and Wolverine will be there shortly, but its taken me a hell of a long time to get there.

So now theyre giving out more ISO and less covers for tourney rewards? How does that fix anything? Whatre we gonna do with the Iso when we have to play 13 tournaments just to get a 2* character maxed out on covers? I also have several 3* characters level capped at around level 30-60, and even the ones that can go abit higher, I dont have the ISO for. So even if I did have the covers, they wouldnt be going anywhere in terms of levels. However upgrading their powers MIGHT make them more playable until I can pick up more ISO.

Getting covers should be the easy part. Its the leveling thats hard. Making both ridiculously difficult is just gonna drive people from the game.

Or if they really want me to drop HP on upgrading powers they should drop the damn price. Itd take, what, $10 to upgrade a 3* characters power once? And Im not dropping 500 HP on a 2* character. Seriously, who at D3 sat there going "Lets overload this game with 3* covers! Annnndddd then make them all ridiculously hard to get. Then everyone can progress at the pace of molasses! Super fun right?"
  • Dayraven wrote:
    Would you go with C.Storm (lvl 38) IM35 (50) Hood (41) MBW (38), Wolv (38) or IW (30) as a two-team besides a 23 Thor?
    The Hood might be handy if you've got covers for Dormammu's Aid (more chance to use abilities, less used against you). Not sure what pairing's best with those levels, though.

It does sound like you're facing a very tough crowd. Maybe you should tank this one (now, or after you hit the 300).

Went back to try again, it offered me a team of 3 x level 170+ players to play against.

So yeah, think I'll skip this event now icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • @Bygix:

Maybe if you didn't waste all the fine ISO on suboptimal **s you'd have 1-2 well-shaped 100+ characters by now. Without changing the prize structure.

I watch the leaderboards a lot, a regular top15 has like 10+ rosters with 1-2-3 **s at 85 and the rest under 40.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    I'm sure it's theoretically possible, but is it realistically achievable to get the 700 point prize (in this case the purple MMN cover) without shielding and/or buying health packs? I'm currently sitting at around 600 points. All of my matches are less than 20 points each which means I'd need to win 5 of them in a row without being attacked (and losing). I can do 2 or 3 rounds before I need to wait for my characters/health packs to recharge. By that time I get attacked a couple times and have to start over.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    vudu3 wrote:
    I'm sure it's theoretically possible, but is it realistically achievable to get the 700 point prize (in this case the purple MMN cover) without shielding and/or buying health packs? I'm currently sitting at around 600 points. All of my matches are less than 20 points each which means I'd need to win 5 of them in a row without being attacked (and losing). I can do 2 or 3 rounds before I need to wait for my characters/health packs to recharge. By that time I get attacked a couple times and have to start over.

You can do this with a combination of a strong roster (level 100+ 3*s) and tanking. I'm able to grind up to 800-900 without being attacked if I've tanked enough.
  • vudu3
    I'm still in the early phase of transitioning from a 2* to 3* team. I was just attacked twice and lost almost 70 points. icon_evil.gif I think I'm going to have to pass on the MMN purple cover.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    vudu3 wrote:

Original Black Widow has helped me tremendously. I attack 2-3 times using Thor, Storm and Daken. Then I take them into the prologue against low lvl Juggs with OBW to heal them back up.
  • I've reached 900 and got close to 1000 without ever shielding or using Spiderman. However, it really depends on two things:

1. Strength of your roster, and in particular your featured hero. Nobody's going to mess around with a level 141 Thor even if your other two guys are relatively weak.
    2. General activity of the tournament. It takes time for people to get 500+ points. If you're the only guy playing, it doesn't matter how unstoppable you are and you'd still get nowhere.

From my experience, the presence of Thor tends to mean the tournament will have less activity, because Thor does a high amount of attrition (his moves are all powerful), and he's got the second highest HP in the game, so the matches themselves take longer too (and also have more chances to accumulate damage). Of course, it also depends on how valuable the prize is. I guess people aren't too excited about Patch? Points are generally still pretty low from what I can see.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Of course, it also depends on how valuable the prize is. I guess people aren't too excited about Patch? Points are generally still pretty low from what I can see.

"Sweet, because my Patch is sitting at 1 cover and a green X-force would be nice too"

*checks player rank, sees #1 walkyourpath*

"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffff"
  • Being fairly new this event leaves me puzzled. I currently have Ares at 2/0/3 and have no covers for patch. Is it worth it to push for 1 copy of patch that is going to sit around till I get more or go for the red cover for Ares to at least open up the ability and level him some more?
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    gamar wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Of course, it also depends on how valuable the prize is. I guess people aren't too excited about Patch? Points are generally still pretty low from what I can see.

"Sweet, because my Patch is sitting at 1 cover and a green X-force would be nice too"

Apparently, I made it into the same bracket...rough.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    The covers are transitioning towards alliance rewards as well. 2 covers for single player accomplishments, and the third cover coming from alliance rewards. My only suggestion there is of course, to join an alliance.

Also, I can't have/show sympathy for anyone who maxed out Moonstone over other characters. Sorry Bygix

First is 452 in this event...I think I'll try to push to 500 tonight.
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Gnormal wrote:
    Being fairly new this event leaves me puzzled. I currently have Ares at 2/0/3 and have no covers for patch. Is it worth it to push for 1 copy of patch that is going to sit around till I get more or go for the red cover for Ares to at least open up the ability and level him some more?

There are characters I got my first covers for in the very first game hours and now 190 hours later I finally start leveling them and am glad to have a cover headstart. The cover will come in handy eventually. Patch is a very good character anyway.
  • Gnormal wrote:
    Being fairly new this event leaves me puzzled. I currently have Ares at 2/0/3 and have no covers for patch. Is it worth it to push for 1 copy of patch that is going to sit around till I get more or go for the red cover for Ares to at least open up the ability and level him some more?

Unless the 3* is absolutely horrible, it's almost always better to have the 3* over the 2* just due to rarity. If you have any kind of success in events you'll be sitting on a lot of extra 2*s soon, but the same cannot be said for 3*s.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Gnormal wrote:

Unless the 3* is absolutely horrible, it's almost always better to have the 3* over the 2* just due to rarity. If you have any kind of success in events you'll be sitting on a lot of extra 2*s soon, but the same cannot be said for 3*s.

It kind of annoys me that they've removed this aspect of the metagame. When I was still working on 2* covers, it was often a really difficult decision whether to go for the thee 2* covers that would fill an immediate need or the one 3* that was more of a long-term investment. Now it's a gimme.
  • vudu3
    Gnormal wrote:

I think it depends on how far along you are in the transition from a 2* to 3* roster. If you've just started you might be better off with the Ares cover because as you noted you'll be able to use the cover immediately whereas the Patch cover will likely sit there for quite some time. That said, in the long term (read: many months) you'll eventually have more than enough Ares covers whereas Patch covers will likely still be rare.

Two things to consider:

1) Having at least one Patch cover can be useful for PVE events where he is required and/or buffed.
    2) Rewards for PVE and PVP tend to come in waves--it's not uncommon to have several events spaced closely together that have the same cover rewards. This is the first Patch cover reward in a long time so it might indicate that we'll see a few more in the coming weeks.
  • gamar wrote:

Sorry, unfortunate side-effect of alliances. In a non alliance PvP, if I don't need the covers I'm more than happy to coast to a Top 25 for the HP and ISO chunk and let others grab the 4*. I used to do that in PvE, too. Now I can't afford to let off the gas.

In case you're in need of another "ffffff" moment, I just found out Nemek is in our bracket too. #badalliancecoordination