Class of 2016 only for the vets

Comments

• TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    ALL PvP is only for vets. lol

Are you new here?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Once a year they change things up and do something fun. Having 1 event that celebrates what Colog affectionately referred to as "The Irrelevant" 4*s is a cool thing to do.
    If it ends up doing that, I totally agree, but at the same time, I suspect it's going to be a celebration of people who whaled the newer 5*s.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:

Are you new here?
    touche!
  • mikelnoe
    mikelnoe Posts: 92 Match Maker
    simonsez wrote:
    Once a year they change things up and do something fun. Having 1 event that celebrates what Colog affectionately referred to as "The Irrelevant" 4*s is a cool thing to do.
    If it ends up doing that, I totally agree, but at the same time, I suspect it's going to be a celebration of people who whaled the newer 5*s.

The boost to 5 stars is negligible, only 17 levels. A maxed champed 550 5* is only boosted to 567.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    mikelnoe wrote:
    The boost to 5 stars is negligible, only 17 levels. A maxed champed 550 5* is only boosted to 567.
    And I'm supposed to beat that with a couple of 4*s? We're at the mercy of matchmaking. After the disaster that was BFF, I'm wary.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    I kind of thought the opposite. If you started, say at the anniversary event last year, there have been more opportunities to collect the covers that came out in 2016 as opposed to 2015. Granted, you may not have them high enough to use them... but I would think that would be true of any event with boosted 4*. I would think you would be closer to the pack with this one than a regular PVP if you were a new player.

I don't see people who are "just" veterans (just in quotes meaning they have been playing, but not whaling) being that much more likely to have covered these characters than newer players. It's not like non-whale vets have this massive ISO or HP surplus to sink into buying extra vaults or leveling up new characters who aren't fully covered.

I think the vets are probably on the short end of the stick on this one. I think the playing field is slightly more level for newer players, so they benefit some. The real benefactors are the whales. They are the only ones with big numbers of champ levels on those 4*.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't really care about the 5* boosts. Mine aren't good enough to use competitively, and the boosts are tiny anyway from what I understand - like ten levels or some nonsense.

I do agree that this event is going completely awful for anyone who hasn't been playing for a while or whaling it up heavy. The lack of any boosts in the 2 or 3 star tier is a total slap in the face.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Kinda disappointed that 5* are boosted so little. I was hoping to use my phoenix in this pvp. I have got the perfect team, but might need to change it a little bit now. I don't have a maxed rulk, but he is high enough level and cover wise to fight competitively. Boosted, he does like over 10,000 damage with the green? But I guess for 5*, a few levels is a lot? That's like 20,000 iso of leveling?
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 728 Critical Contributor
    Anyone in 3* land entered yet and can comment on what they see for fights?

My usual competition for my 3* roster is other boosted 3* with the odd 4* thrown in. Hoping this is still the case here, in which case I can just ignore the boosts and it becomes just and another SHIELD Sim.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    I'm playing with 4*s and 3*s, and so far it's basically Shield Sim for me. I did encounter a Peggy rulk team that I wasted three health packs on, but that was just me being stubborn and sleepy this morning.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Now that I think about it, the better way to say it (that someone has already said) is that Class of 2016 is for the whales. Class of 2015, if they ran it right now, would basically be for the vets.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    At least 2017 will have 3* Dr Strange to go along with the 20 4* and 8 5* we will get.

Seriously though, what did you expect? This is what was released since the last anniversary. It's not direct pandering to whales it's showing you how the game is being developed (which yes, ends up pandering to the whales).
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:

Are you new here?

Non-vets still have the 4k 10-pack. That's reasonably achievable with a 3* roster.

Anniversary... maybe not. The competition is brutal.
  • gigatilburg29
    gigatilburg29 Posts: 88 Match Maker
    My main criticism is not that this event should not be run, my main criticism is l that its a celebration season which all types of players must enjoy, so far i find besides the double iso nothing enjoyable about this anniversary.

Even the pve's dont have 4 star as a progression rewards, how can a anniversary be a stepback then the usual seasons?
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    There is one thing I might suggest as a way to partially smooth over these feelings for next anniversary. (Though I'm not sure it would be a welcome change or not...)

Would it be helpful to people if anniversary vaults and event tokens had raised odds of awarding characters that were new in that year? Looking at the odds on the "Class of 2016" tokens - they are basically just heroic tokens. What if the 2016 characters had 1.5x - 2.0x the odds of appearing in the vaults or in the token drops for events this week? I know *I* (selfishly) really want to see this change, but I'm not sure if that would be perceived as a fix for this problem...

The progression and placement prizes for this week could have also been adjusted to better focus on the 2016 crop.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I surprisingly have quite a few 4*s champed, so it's not so bad!

Rhulk, X-23, Nova, Venom, GR, SG, Miles, Daisy and.... CHO!!!! icon_lol.gif
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I surprisingly have quite a few 4*s champed, so it's not so bad!

Rhulk, X-23, Nova, Venom, GR, SG, Miles, Daisy and.... CHO!!!! icon_lol.gif

If you have that many, I don't think it qualifies as a surprise.
  • Bondidude
    Bondidude Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Looking at the odds on the "Class of 2016" tokens - they are basically just heroic tokens. What if the 2016 characters had 1.5x - 2.0x the odds of appearing in the vaults or in the token drops for events this week?

This was really disappointing. Had it been better odds on 2016 4*s I might have bought a 10 pack or something and I'm not usually one to do that sort of thing. Instead it was a slightly cheaper Heroic 10 pack. Not really worth it.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic wrote:
    Adding insult to injury - the 900 points covers is class of 2016 great...... Nick Fury!

This, to me, was the most baffling part.
    Why on Earth is it Nick Fury, now one of the weakest 4*s of the lot? Why not someone more recent? Why not someone who actually came out in 2016?

I'm still really hurting for Spider Gwen covers, guys. Or maybe a Quake or Nova or War Machine or the other good 4*s. =(
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic wrote:
    Adding insult to injury - the 900 points covers is class of 2016 great...... Nick Fury!

This, to me, was the most baffling part.
    Why on Earth is it Nick Fury, now one of the weakest 4*s of the lot? Why not someone more recent? Why not someone who actually came out in 2016?

I'm still really hurting for Spider Gwen covers, guys. Or maybe a Quake or Nova or War Machine or the other good 4*s. =(
    They go in alphabetical order. Nick was due.
    They probably could have gone with Nova instead and done Nick next week had someone thought of it though.